Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jasminepearls

Aglaea

Three golden ambers, bright musk, peach wine and myrtle.

♪ Movin' to the country, gonna eat me a lot of peaches... ♫

And not real fresh peaches. More like peach Jolly-Ranchers.

Imp: peach wine that smells divine

Wet on Me: Peach wine with the musk and a faint trace of myrtle

Drying Down: this just gets better and better. Sweet but not

sugar sweet. This does a happy dance under my nose

Dry: This is what I imagine the fae would wear when out playing at

Midsummer’s. Light, peach wine that makes my head spin in the most

wonderful day dream kind of way. Such the keeper and must seek out bottle!

Ok, I am thrilled for the peach in this, but I worry a bit about amber-it can go super powdery on me ]:

Suuuper yummy in the imp-all sweet peach wine goodness!

Oh yes, this is GORGEOUS. Sweet boozy peach wine. Rich and golden. The amber is playing nicely so far, I am hoping it won't get too powdery on drydown.

While this does get a bit powdery on drydown, it actually works well with the peachiness. I can see enjoying this in all its incarnations-the wet boozy sweet peach wine phase and the dry sweet golden peach powder phase. I can see myself grabbing a bottle of this! Peach lovers HAVE to give this one a try!

This a bright fizzy peach when it's first wet, it's lovely and it's the first time I'm really getting to smell the labs peach note. I LIKE!!!

The drydown changes though, it's still peach but it's now much more of a dry scent. It's very similar to Peach Pot Pourri like, kinda when you get the wooded bits in Pot Pourri. In a good way of course.

I am getting absolutely no amber from this whatsoever, it's basically just a dry woody peach scent that's pleasant. :)

I'm not really sure what Myrtle smells like to be honest, but..this deosn't smell floral..or green in any way.

It smells peachy and woody. I much prefer the wet stage, it's much brighter and fun!

:)

omg PEACHES!! :wub2: Fresh, juicy peaches is what it's all about. Aglaea reminds me of March Hare but without the clove which makes it less foody and potpouri-ish and much more wearable. Now that it's dry the amber is starting to come out. Tamora turned to playdoh on my skin but I'm so glad Aglaea works on me. This is a gorgeous scent. I can't stop sniffing my wrist.

Imp: Peaches and flowers

Wet: Really clean peach smell. No powder, than goodness

Drydown: Little complexity coming out now with some dusty myrtle, but really all I need out of this is the sweet cheerful peach

Overall: The imp's a keeper. Let's see how it fares in the long run, though

In the Bottle: Wow, it's sticky sweet and an overwhelmingly intense peach. I get a note of amber smoothness rounding it out a little.

Wet: The peach is still strong but toned down. The amber's come out a bit more; if I get more amber to balance out the insane peachy sweetness, this could work. It's just a bit too intensely sweet for me right now.

Dry-down: Wow, this is really lasting. An hour later, and it's still going strong. The peach is still the most outstanding note and the amber just isn't strong enough.

Final Thoughts: Even though I scrubbed my wrist several times, I could still smell peach on me the morning after. This definitely isn't my scent, but if you love peach, this could work for you.

This smells like lovely peach lipbalm to me! Very soft and subtle. My skin seems to eat it up though!

The musk goes really well with everything and makes it a really nice combination!

Very summery! :)

Yum. I'd been looking for peaches and while I didn't expect Aglaea to be particularly peachy, I am happily surprised. Its not a foody peach. With the musks and amber, it's more of a mulled peach wine than a fresh-picked and still fuzzy peach.

That said, the bright peach note dies down pretty fast as does Aglaea as a whole. It's only been a few minutes and I have to get my nose right against my wrist to smell anything. Maybe my skin just dissipates the stuff, or maybe it's just a very gentle scent. In any case, while it's there, Aglaea is lovely.

Am I the only one who smells peach Bath and Body Works, circa 1992? This reminds me of that SO strongly, it is uncanny. I like the smell, but I don't want to smell like it.

I have an imp of indeterminate age -- the label is taped, so I can't tell if it's the old version. Anyway, I mention this because what I am getting is nothing like the previous reviews featuring summery, fresh peaches. Nope. I get a dusty and woody bottom note, almost patchouli-like, golden amber, and something just faintly sparkly, like mead. And it is gorgeous.

My new plan is to buy a bottle of this and lose it in the linen closet for a year or so.

Sicky Orangey-brown.

A warm apricot tart served at a sunlit table outside the tea-shoppe on the first chilly day of Spring.

Delish.

Oh my. Aglaea is positively delicious, I tell you. On me it's mostly peach wine, with a certain muskiness becoming more apparent as it dries. It also makes me crave a Wallaby Darned drink from Outback something fierce. Unfortunately this scent disappears rather quickly, but that's all the more reason for a big bottle of it, right?

Aglaea is a total 'i want to nom my wrist' scent.

golden sweet tanginess, like the inside of a filled peach hard candy, or peach syrup mixed in plum wine. rich and intoxicating.

this is a surprisingly solid scent to me. the imp hasn't changed since i've had it, the scent doesn't seem to morph on me at all. not a whole lot of throw on me (i swear everything latches onto my skin and refuses to budge) but lasts for quite a while.

just to play, i layered a bit of Kumiho with it; the Kumiho disappeared within minutes, but toned down the sweetness some.

overall this is a little fruity for an everyday scent for me, but i will treasure my imp for days when i want to be delectably sweet and summery. =)

ETA: I can now say I wear this a lot more than I would have expected, it's really kind of addictive.

Edited by skyelyric

I had begun to consider amber a potential death note, as I had tried several blends containing amber that were not good on me. But it must have been other notes in those blends that were causing the issues, because Aglaea is lovely.

In the imp: Sweet, peachy goodness.

Wet on skin: Still peachy, with a soft musky undertone and a slight booziness coming through.

Dry: Gentle musk, still with some fruity sweetness. This is a very golden scent, like the late afternoon sunshine in summer.

Verdict: A definite keeper, maybe a bottle at some stage.

This didn't stay straight up over sweet on me. Quite wonderful warm amber and peaches. The peach smells fresh, which I contribute to the addition of myrtle and a wine alcoholic element. The peach mellows slightly on drydown but otherwise it's really straight-forward!

Frimp in one of my orders.

In my teens, I was obsessed with fuzzy peach scents. When I got this in one of my orders, I had visions of finally finding the elusive grown up version of my beloved peach perfume.

In the imp, this is a heavenly musky peach. It smells like peach nectar and I want to drink it (but won't for the obvious reason!). Wet, it's soft musky peach skin. During the drydown, the amber and myrrh come out and keep the scent from becoming too fruity. Dry, this is a light, fresh, airy peach with touches of amber and myrrh. It's perfect for warmer weather.

A bottle upgrade is definitely in this scent's future!

Aglaea

In the Vial: Syrupy peach.

Wet: Super strong alcoholic peach.

Drydown: Thank goodness the peach has mellowed. Now it seems "golden."

Verdict: I was very tempted to instantly give it up, but I'm really enjoying the drydown. I think I'll hang onto this a little longer. :P

So far this is my favorite Peach BPAL blend. It starts off pretty sickly sweet but quickly fades. I don't get much else out of this blend, but I suspect the amber is playing a role in making sure this doesn't become cloying. I'll probably keep the imp but pass on a bottle.

This is a beautiful fresh peach scent. The musks make it less sweet and just wonderfully wearable.

The only problem with it is that it doesn't last long. But I love the summery scent. I may need a bottle......

I have left this scent at the bottom of my drawer for a while, never venturing to put it one because I cannot stand the ITB smell. I thought I would be brave today.

In the bottle: I'm not getting any of these notes at all. I smell synthetic strawberry, which I cannot stand. I'm thinking this smells like gel strawberry car air-freshner and the Mr. agrees.

Wet: Ick, still synthetic strawberry. I'm tempted to scrub my wrist, but I want to see how it dries.

Dry Down: Ok, now I'm starting to get Georgia peach -very sweet, but with a slightly boozy undertone. Someone earlier suggested schnapps and I agree. Ew, still not a fan.

Dry: A touch of amber under peachy oddness and powder. Not for me :(

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

Ah gorgeous! I received this as a frimp with my (1st official *squeeeeeeeee!*) order and wore it on Saturday night out to dinner with a friend. What a warm, light hearted scent! I love it!

I shared it with my sister-in-law on Sunday and she fell in love with it too. I know at least two bottles will be ordered from this neck of the woods! :D

In the imp: Bright and peachy! There's no missing the peach here, though there's a creamy sweetness to it that reminds me a bit of Tamora. I suspect that's the amber. I get just a graceful touch of myrtle, but for the most part, it's sweet, juicy peaches and cream. Very bright, cheerful, feminine summer scent, perhaps a little sweeter than I would have guessed or wanted… a bit like peach candy something, rather than the peach itself.

On, wet: Okay, this is definitely real peach. It's a VERY realistic, true-to-life ripe peach aroma on my skin, tangy-sweet, with a green tinge from the myrtle. It's like… standing in a farmer's market next to a big pile of fresh-picked peaches, ripening in the warm sun. The musk and amber are right underneath, sweeter and softer, and they keep this from striking me as a foody scent.

On, dry: Essentially the same, just better blended. The fresh peach quality is still there, but it's less overt, as it blends with the musk and amber. Still very golden and summery and lovely. Throw and longevity appear to be good, though it's a surprisingly light, clean sort of scent, not cloying or overwhelming. There's something elegant about it—"splendour" is definitely the right word for it.

Later: Essentially unchanged—musky amber and peaches. This is not a scent that morphs much, if at all.

Overall: I've never been a huge fan of peach scents, with a few rare exceptions, so I expected to be very "meh" about Aglaea. Clearly, that was me being stupid, because this has totally won me over! There's something very classically beautiful and graceful about Aglaea, and yet she's very approachable, not at all a snooty or haughty scent. Fruity scents often come off as more youthful or girly, but this one is all grown woman to me—a handsome woman who's old enough to be supremely confident in her skin, who has a wise, welcoming smile and laughter in her eyes. Gorgeous! :wub2:

I tried Aglaea without knowing any of the notes.

imp: sweet fruity mellow smell, slightly musty

wet: the same, fruity and complex. I can't pinpoint which fruit! Still with that slight undertone of fermentation, which I am not enjoying. Makes me a little nauseous.

drying down: ah, this has amber in it. I really do despise amber, and it seems like it's all I can smell when it's in a fragrance.

dry: yup, amber and fruits. Much better than Hymn to Proserpine IMO when it comes to fruit+amber, but I won't be wearing it again.