Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Figs and Fig Scents - alone and in combos

Carnal and Intrigue struck me as extremely figgy. Both are sweet scents, but Carnal is very bright and bubbly, while Intrigue is mellow and deep.

The Apothecary was only mildy figgy, and Mata Hari was all roses and coffee on me (no figginess to be found).

I have tried all of those but Cerebus, and I would say that CARNAL is most definitely the most figgy.  I have both Carnal and the Fig single note, and I hardly can tell the difference between them.

Now that I've had a chance to try Carnal (thanks to Theravada!), I have to agree with summer that it is remarkably similar to the fig single note (which is also in my collection).

mmm...fig.

I have a big bottle of Carnal. It's nothing but figgy goodness on me.

Intrigue smells cocoa-ish and flowery on me. I don't smell much fig.

Dragon's Heart was all dragon's blood resin. Yummy, but no fig.

Intrigue smells like dirt and fig.

If you love fig, you really need to get a fig candle from Illume. I :P them!

Dragon's Heart

Intruige

Mata Hari

Nephilim

The Apothocary

Carnal

Cerberus

Nemesis

I have now tried them all, and would rank them as follows (from most figalicious to no figgy goodness whatsoever):

Carnal

Apothecary

Intrigue

Nemesis

Cerberus

Nephilim

Dragon's Heart

Mata Hari

Cerberus and Nephilim are pretty close, but the fig note in the drydown for Cerberus lasts longer.

i just got Intrigue and I smell the fig in it :P very nice!

figs, palm, cocoa and wood...a good combo.

Gomorrah is Evil Fig

Eden is Good Fig

What I LOVE about Eden is that not only is it THE most complex fig scent I've ever tried (I've tried most of the lab's fig), but it's also moist and fresh without being *juicy.* I admit not not being able to tolerate most of the lab's fruit scents in more than minute quantities because to my nose they're either candy-ish or so juicy as to be fruit juice and not the fruit itself. Even some of the figgy scents fall prey to this...but not Eden :D oh no...not Eden...

Yay fig! :P I envy the person who won the SN fig lab auction! :D

:P jumpy figgy wheee. i love figs.

I am a big fan of Henri Bendel's scent, Wild Fig.

For those that are familiar with it, are there any BPAL scents that are similar to this that you can think of? My sample vile from Bath and Body Works is almost gone :D

edit: yup all used up as of today.

Edited by BlackWingedRoses

Funny, I've tried Carnal and The Apothecary, and thought that I picked up a spicy clove-like note that I couldn't imagine at the time was fig. Is mine the only nose confused here? If the note was indeed fig, then in Carnal, it's 100% while still very present in The Apothecary.

I love fig too!

I've tried them all (with the exception of Eden - which is hopefully arriving VERY soon) and so far Gomorrah has been the figgiest on me.

I was just thinking, while I'm pretty familiar with the GC so far, I don't remember there being many scents that included fig.

And I love me some fig...

Gimme some fig!

if you can get a bottle of freakshow you would be stylin'!!!

description:

A strange, disconcerting embrace… to some, alarming, and to some, intimately familiar: fig, pomegranate and cocoa bean with lemon, bergamot, vanilla, mellow honey musk, calamus and tonka.

it is truly one of my absolute fav scents the lab has ever created :P

According to a quick search through my database, there are several GCs with Fig: Dragon's Heart, Nephilim, Nemesis, The Apothecary, Carnal, Hetairae, Eden, Gomorrah, Hanging Gardens, Intrigue, Mata Hari, Strangler Fig and Tweedledum. And, of course, Freak Show, Cerberus and King of Clubs.

Edited by Aredhel

According to a quick search through my database, there are several GCs with Fig: Dragon's Heart, Nephilim, Nemesis, The Apothecary, Carnal, Hetairae, Eden, Gomorrah, Hanging Gardens, Intrigue, Mata Hari, Strangler Fig and Tweedledum. And, of course, Freak Show, Cerberus and King of Clubs.

ok, now that you mention them, I remember Eden (didn't like it that much) and Strangler Fig (it's on order), Tweedledum (on order), The Apothacary (on order).

Thanks for listing the others too, I'll have to go through my GC file and read about them.

I think what i'm looking for most of all is a rather simple scent using fig. Something with two or three notes, something where the fig won't be overpowered by other ingredients.

Carnal might be it, but I'm not usually attracted to citrus heavy scents.

Gomarrah looks like another good possibility so far.

Gomorrah is indeed fig (plus a whole bunch of other exotic things).

Similar, but I like it better, is Cairo (but I'm not at all certain if it has fig in it?? Smells to me like it does). But it isn't Fig Straight Up. More Fig Seduced by Other Things, And Loving It.

Gomorrah and Nemesis are similarly figgy, to my nose. Nemesis is a good bit drier because of the ginger and pine, while Gomorrah is more sweet and smoky, but the fig is very prominent in both -- and delicious.

I'm a fig girl, too... The most "straight up" fig I've tried is Strangler Fig. But if you're looking for something that is fig + a few other things: my faves are gomorrah (sexy exotic woodsy fig), Tweedledum (sweet fruity fig--this recently replaced hanging gardens as my fave fruity fig smell), and Intrigue (tropical cocoa-y fig).

For the others: Nemesis is good too, but was less me--would be great if you want a more complex kinda woodsy dark fig. Eden is great, but a little too buttery/foody for my tastes. Hetairae was pretty, but I got a lot of floral and patchouli from it--less fig than the others above (ended in a great honeyed fig, though!).

Mata Hari had far too much else going on to smell the fig (at least to my nose), similarly Dragon's Heart's fig was lost to the amping DB on my skin. Carnal was all orange to me, but I hear others get a lot of fig.

The apothecary was much too light for me and was gone in a flash (I couldnt' really pick out the fig, but i've learned a lot since then, so I should probably retry it).

Anyway, as with everything else, your skin chem may vary, but that's my tuppence.

Hmmm...looks like i've tried all the catalog figs except for nephilim. Guess I should look for some swaps, huh?

As for the LEs: FreakShow and Cerebus both did really bad things on my skin, so I'll refrain from comment. :P But...well....i didnt know king of clubs was fig! What're the chances I'll ever get my hands on that, I wonder?

I love fig too. Love the Bendel candle! Sunshine scents has a Bendel fig scent tart that is right on the money for a fraction of the price.

When I first found BPAL and made a huge order I got a frimp of Fig Leaf. Needless to say I fell in love with it and blew through it so fast not realizing I could not get it again. Thinking the single note Fig was the same - I ordered a bottle. Twas not the same. It must have been a single note or a unreleased scent. Fig leaf was so fresh and green. Oh, how I wish I could get more. :P All the other scents with fig in do not compare. Strangler fig gets close but still not as green.

If you can get your hands on some, the Perfumed Garden is a cozy warm fig & myrrh on me. It's my favorite when it's chill!y!

I tried to search the thread for anyone who had asked about fig notes before...but, of course, it's a three letter word and doesn't show up.

Anyway, I'm completely enamored of Carnal, and I think the Fig in it is delicious. Does anyone have any other suggestions based on this? Other similar scents? Other scents containing fig?

Hi Neuilly - what, the word "figgiest" didn't come to mind? :P

Here's the figgy thread, and I am sure you'll get some more suggestions after this pops up on the front page!