Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Figs and Fig Scents - alone and in combos

No one's mentioned Nonae Caprotina yet... boy, is this FIG and MILK galore. If you don't mind the milk, I'd say it even trumps Carnal's fig.

I was surprised that no one mentioned Nonae Caprotina either. My favorite fig scent ever, hands down.

As a matter of fact, I really, really want more.

I'm looking for blends with fig and honey together. So far, searching on my own hasn't turned up much of anything and I definitely want these two notes combined. Bonus points if there's musk involved somewhere. There are only a couple of notes I can't wear (mint, ylang ylang and vetiver) so pretty much anything else goes. Can anyone point me in the right direction? :D

Okay, I have a huge BPAL spreadsheet that is somewhat outdated so it doesn't include more recent updates.... But the only General Catalog scent that meets your criteria is Eden: fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood. There's Hetairae, but it has ylang ylang (golden honey, fiery patchouli, sweet fig and clove, and a blushing touch of ylang ylang).

There are several old LE or discontinued ones though:

Milk Moon 2007: sweet milk, golden honey, fig fruit, pomegranate, dates, and white grape

Berry Moon 2009: golden summer musk, warm fig, orange blossom honey, sweet blueberries, and velvety raspberries

Libra 2007: rose, black cherry, carnation, fig, honey, plum, and blackcurrant

Freak Show: fig, pomegranate and cocoa bean with lemon, bergamot, vanilla, mellow honey musk, calamus and tonka

Hony Mone: three honeys blended with seven fruits, flowers, and herbs of passion, pleasure, and joy: honeysuckle, fig, carnation, apricot, jasmine, tonka, and almond

The Horn of Amalthea: cream, honey, fig, quince, cos lettuce, pomegranate, pear, wild cucumber, carrot, marrow squash, saffron crocus, and bergamot

Cupid Complaining to Venus: apple blossom, fig, white peach, honey absolute, red sandalwood, and wild thyme

Hetairae!:The sublimely beautiful, fiercely independent, impeccably cultured, fascinatingly worldly and witty courtesans of ancient Greece. A seductive and dazzling blend of golden honey, fiery patchouli, sweet fig and clove, and a blushing touch of ylang ylang. Edited by lookingglass

Okay, I have a huge BPAL spreadsheet that is somewhat outdated so it doesn't include more recent updates.... But the only General Catalog scent that meets your criteria is Eden: fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood. There's Hetairae, but it has ylang ylang (golden honey, fiery patchouli, sweet fig and clove, and a blushing touch of ylang ylang).

There are several old LE or discontinued ones though:

Milk Moon 2007: sweet milk, golden honey, fig fruit, pomegranate, dates, and white grape

Berry Moon 2009: golden summer musk, warm fig, orange blossom honey, sweet blueberries, and velvety raspberries

Libra 2007: rose, black cherry, carnation, fig, honey, plum, and blackcurrant

Freak Show: fig, pomegranate and cocoa bean with lemon, bergamot, vanilla, mellow honey musk, calamus and tonka

Hony Mone: three honeys blended with seven fruits, flowers, and herbs of passion, pleasure, and joy: honeysuckle, fig, carnation, apricot, jasmine, tonka, and almond

The Horn of Amalthea: cream, honey, fig, quince, cos lettuce, pomegranate, pear, wild cucumber, carrot, marrow squash, saffron crocus, and bergamot

Cupid Complaining to Venus: apple blossom, fig, white peach, honey absolute, red sandalwood, and wild thyme

Eden is one of the GC's I haven't tried yet, so I'll give it a go. I'm tempted by Hetairae, just because everything else in it is a note that would work beautifully on me. I suppose it would depend on how strong the ylang ylang was.

Of the rest of the list, I haven't tried Milk Moon, Libra, Freak Show or The Horn of Amalthea, so those are definitely potentials. Berry Moon I remember as definitely being very berry (mostly raspberry on me) and Cupid Complaining to Venus was a lovely blend of apple and peach, with some sandalwood, so not quite what I'm looking for. Hony Mone was all herbal and awful--I bought a bottle untested and quickly swapped it away!

At any rate, thanks for all the suggestions. You've given me a lot to go on! :joy:

I'm looking for the fig in the White Sandalwood & Fig Hair gloss. Is there anything close to SN fig? Thanks! XOXO~Maven :heart:

I haven't really found an SN fig, (...not Strangler Fig at all..) but the strongest figs I've found are:

The Grave Pig: Fig, oakmoss, mushroom caps, and patchouli.

Hetairae: golden honey, fiery patchouli, sweet fig and clove, and a blushing touch of ylang ylang.

To some extent Eden, but it was more almond milk and coconut on me, honestly: fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood

and new but LE on my list of very figgy scents:

Figgy Puddin: (bptp) Calymyrna figs, dark rum, cognac, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, brown sugar, and clove.

Nymphes de Pave: (NYCC excl) White fig, rose otto, honey, and bourbon vanilla.

For a figs & honey scent, Hetairae would definitely be my pick. Those are the predominant notes on my skin.

When I sampled the White Sandalwood and Fig hair gloss, I got so much sandalwood that I am having trouble remembering exactly what type of fig is in it! Eden is a really bright green fig scent - it is lovely, but it's very different from Hetairae to me. Hetairae is rich, dark, ripe figs.

I'm looking for a present for a dear friend of mine before she moves. She goes absolutley insane for any fig scented items. In particular, she loves LOVES the Pacifica brand Mediterranean Fig scented items, but is looking to branch out from her tried-and-true perfume. She leans more towards woodsy or warmer varieties rather than sugary candy types. I'd love to give her a wonderful welcome to the world of BPAL as she begins her new journey. =)

My personal favorite is Strangler Fig from Rappacini's Garden. I have a few others with fig in them but you can't really detect the fig very well if at all.

Strangler Fig is awesome. I also really like...

THE GRAVE-PIG

Fig, oakmoss, mushroom caps, and patchouli.

I haven't tried but really want to...

EDEN

Fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood.

And a few more suggestions...

THE APOTHECARY

Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig.

CARNAL

Bold, bright mandarin paired with the sweet, sensual earthiness of fig.

GOMORRAH

Ripe fig, date and currant with black herbs.

HETAIRAE

Golden honey, fiery patchouli, sweet fig and clove, and a blushing touch of ylang ylang.

INTRIGUE

Black palm, with cocoa, fig and shadowy wooded notes.

LAWFUL

Rigid oak, blue chamomile, rhubarb, and fig leaf.

NEPHILIM

Holy frankincense and hyssop in union with earthy fig, defiled by black patchouli and vetiver, with a chaotic infusion of lavender, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss and cypress.

TWEEDLEDUM:

Green mango, fig, patchouli and green tea.

Edited by arsinoe9

Ohhhhh I would ABSOLUTELY check out Nephilim and/or Nemesis!!!

From the Diabolus category, here is the Lab description for Nephilim ...

NEPHILIM: Dark children conceived from the union of Fallen Angels and the Daughters of Men. According to lore, the angel Shemhazai led a group of his angels to earth to instruct mankind in the ways of piety and righteousness. After a time, the angels became prey to earthly desires and began to lust after the daughters of man, and thus they fell. They instructed their mortal mates in the arts of conjuration, summoning, necromancy and other magickal arts. The fruits of their union are the Nephilim: possessed of superhuman strength, cunning, and infinite capacity, and hunger for, sin. Venerated as heroes by some, vilified by most, the Nephilim eventually annihilated one another in a cataclysmic civil war instigated by the angel Gabriel as punishment for their transgressions. Holy frankincense and hyssop in union with earthy fig, defiled by black patchouli and vetiver, with a chaotic infusion of lavender, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss and cypress.

And here is a link to my review(s): Nummy num nummy figgy Nephilim

And from the Excolo category, here is Lab description of Nemesis (I found that the fig gets more prominent as the oil ages but that could have been TOTALLY just my body chemistry ... it was absolutely the scent that turned me onto fig in all its BPAL glory) ...

NEMESIS: The whip-wielding Goddess of Divine Retribution, Justice and Vengeance, and is the force that balances the scales of Tyche's fortune. She is also called Adrasteia, 'she whom none can escape', and Erinys, 'implacable'. Nemesis is the executrix of Olympian justice, and her primary duty is to punish hubris and mankind's offenses against the natural order with inflexible, remorseless and raging fury. Her symbols are a sword and scourge, a measuring rod and scales. Cypress, ginger, fig, dried rose, red patchouli, tonka bean and cyclamen.

I will third, fourth, and fifth Nephilim. I am crazy for the fig and it is just gorgeous. I also enjoy Pacifica's fig note and think Nephilim would be a wonderful compliment.

Ohhhhh I would ABSOLUTELY check out Nephilim and/or Nemesis!!!

I didn't get much fig from Nephilim. I shall have to re-test it to see if I can detect it.

I second the rec for Grave Pig.

From the Retail only scents, I highly recommend Lucifer. It rarely seems to show up on forum sales, but I think it's still available from Healthy Living in Vermont.

And my favorite fig scent is a past Yule from the Trading Post, which seems a little easier to find:

FIGGY PUDDIN’

Calymyrna figs, dark rum, cognac, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, brown sugar, and clove.

Uncle Travelling Matt is my favorite bpal fig:

Dark chocolate, figgy vanilla, pear, and quince

Tzi

I would second The Grave Pig. Does't sound like much fig would come through but man its earthy fig for sure.

Hetairae is a wonderful warm figgy honey clove scent. I would actually consider it closer to Pacifica's Mediterranean fig than many others. Its not a foody fig... Just a sexy fig. ;)

I would also recommend Nymphes de Pave (look on the forum For Sale page) its a rosy syrupy fig.

Fig is one of my all time favourite notes. There are some gorgeous BPAL fig blends, but I think the ones that let the fig itself shine are Intrigue or Strangler Fig, with Intrigue being more sweet fiiggy, and Strangler Fig is bit more quiet and green (I just retested my bottles to compare). Both are gorgeous.There are some LEs that feature fig, such as Nonae Caprotina (one of my all time faves), but it's harder to find.

I've tried many of the other BPAL fig blends, but found that the fig got lost in some of the others... totally depends on your nose, though!

Edited by obsidienne

I love the Grave Pig too! Strangler Fig doesn't smell very figgy to me, though I like it. It is green like entering a hothouse or greenhouse to me.

Doesn't Intrigue have fig? I remember liking that, too.

Let's add the newest addition: Love and Sleep, from 2014 Lupercalia update: fig milk, vanilla, orchid, ylang-ylang...can't wàit!

Edited by lookingglass

I'm resurrecting this thread because I adore Fig, and my newest Figgy favourite is Molly Grue, which hasn't been mentioned much in this thread! Molly Grue is all sweet Fig and nuts on me. Love it!

I love fig, so was reading over this thread from the beginning and now I'm just stuck on the word "fig". You know how you keep repeating a word and it just loses meaning and becomes a strange sound? Fig. Fig. Fig fig fig fig! Of course, it is 2:10 a.m., and I'm just...figged.