Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Hyssop

Ooh, ooh! Found one of the mystery notes that's been driving me to distraction!

I don't see hyssop listed in any scents other than Absinthe, but my nose tells me it's the softer, less-sweet violet-like herbal note in some scents. For me, it's a cross between Florentine Iris and Violet, for lack of a better description.

The internet tells me ... "The name hyssop comes from the Greek. The Hyssop of Dioscorides was named after AZOB (a holy herb). Hyssopus officianalis has an ancient medical reputation. It was used for purifying sacred places. Hyssop plants were cut and scattered upon the floors of rooms, allowing the aromatic compounds produced by the plant to diffuse into the air, thus "purifying" the room or building. Also, in the scriptures (Psalms 51 v 7) we are told 'purge me with Hyssop and I shall be clean'."

i definitely see how jj_j feels a bit of iris & violet in this. i REALLY like this scent, it has a bit of spice in it that is quite appealing to me and it lasts a long time. plus, i love the description jj_j got off the internet :P

First sniff: Hyssop is a very light, very fresh, pale yellow-green floral. It’s what I’d imagine baby’s breath would smell like before it’s dried.

Wearing: As with most of the other single notes I’ve tried, this stays very true on my skin to its scent in the vial. It’s almost aquatic in its freshness, as if the flowers are sitting under flowing water. It stayed fairly strong all evening, but by the end of the night had gone unfortunately soapy.

This is the real stuff. My Hyssop imp smells very good. I don't know how to review a single note, other to say it smells like the note and lasts more than average on the skin.

I suppose I can also say, Hyssop can be used in the bath to heal cuts. I am also supposing this is Hyssop and none of its variants like Anise Hyssop or Water Hyssop.

I got this in a trade and I already have some Hyssop oil so I am trading this imp, but I do enjoy a few drops in the bath now and then. Great scent and it gives my body a nice feeling of being healed.

Edited by Madame Nyx

Hyssop - from the Single Note swap circle.

In the bottle: A cross between a white floral and sweet floral. Interesting!

On me: A white, slightly soapy floral. Not overwhelmingly white, though. Quite pretty. :P

Drydown: This one is just beautiful as it dries. The lightest white-smelling floral I've ever tried. Really nice on its own! :D

I'd definitely wear this on its own (if it were mine :D ), and will seek out a blend or two with this particular note! :D

In the vial and when it first goes on, it's a deep, herbal floral. Once it sits on the skin, it's a soapy floral with a sweet edge. Definitely not my cup o' tea.

SN Hyssop:

Hyssop starts off very light on me, and wafts in something that smells like a cross between some sort of green herb and a banana. I can't quite explain it.

Via the single note swap circle.

Beautiful floral. Hyssop is a note I probably mistake for others most of the time--I take it for notes like Honeysuckle and Jasmine, probably. A high yellow scent. It's beautiful, rich, and syrupy. The syrup calms down to be a little more clean as it dries. At times, it pops a little more green than yellow on me.

Consider that this is coming from someone that doesn't normally like florals: this is gorgeous.

In the vial, this oil smells dry, pale, and herbal, with the faintest hint of almost-floral sweetness. Upon application, it is still a faintly sweet herbal, clean-smelling and extremely light. Reminiscent of fresh air over a clear brook in a spring meadow. After drydown, it turns slightly aquatic, very pleasant and soothing. It retains its crisp, clean quality and subtle sweetness, with none of the heaviness I typically expect from evergreen scents.

It has taken me a while to get around to trying this one because I had no clue what hyssop was and was too lazy to look it up :P

Apparently it is a flowering evergreenish herb that it used in medicines. And that's what it smells like. Green herbal with white florals and a strange medicinal twang. In the drydown the florals start to go soapy on me. It's a sweet, herbal soap. Very strange.

Hyssop doesn't work on me at all. I don't really like cool herbal scents or white florals... and the soapy drydown makes me feel ill. Oh well. I'll be swapping this one.

In bottle: Sweet yellow-white floral; like a creamy iris to my nose.

On me: A soapy floral, like jasmine but with a smoky green veil.

Single Note: Hyssop - When first applied, I went crazy over this scent. It’s bright and powerful with just the tiniest touch of bitterness, and it had some amazing throw. Unfortunately, upon full dry-down, it also becomes a touch soapy on my skin. When sniffed up close, I still smell the bright scent I initially smelled wet out of the vial, but when I catch wafts of it in the air, it smells soapy. It does last for a good long while and although the throw decreases upon dry-down, it’s still good and strong.