Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Namaste

... This oil blend is a serene, soothing Indian blend, created to bring calm and joy to the heart and peace to the spirit. Sandalwood, jasmine, rose, patchouli, cedarwood and lemongrass.

I didn't like Namaste at first, the lemongrass didn't seem to mix well with the other notes. After drying for about an hour, the lemongrass calmed down, and it turned into a very nice scent, although to me, a very masculine scent. It didn't last that long, about 3 hours or so.

I wouldn't buy this one for me, but I'll definately use the imp. I'm going to try to get hubby to try it, as it may be just amazing on him.

ETA - Hubby put some on. Saying that I loved it on him would be an understatement. I don't know what came over me. Unbelievable sexy! Edited by Shollin

Namaste

Well.. I like it. It smells, quite frankly, like a hippie commune on me.. all patchouli and cedar and sandalwood. Like a new age store down by the beach. It makes me think of summer and long dreaded hair, and sandals and bells on my ankle, and dancing in circles at the concert with rusted root in the rain.

However - My skin loves the ingredients and amplifies them... and my boy isn't too fond of the smell over-all.

I guess I'll be wearing it when he isn't around :P

The scents used in this perfume create this wonderful visual tapestry for me when I see them all written down side by side. It's like looking into a sample box of multi-colored Indian incense cones. The colors that come to mind when I think about this combination make me almost insane with joy -- a little rainbow of scented cones line up in my mind.

In the vial, it's overwhelmingly lemongrass though and although I like that scent to a degree it's a bit much. But I put it on to see what develops.

Yes, lemongrass for awhile, but then all of the little incense cones pop their heads out! Now it's a small, ornately carved wooden box full of little red, purple, yellow, green and brown incense cones. Just like the sampler boxes I used to buy! I can smell the sandalwood and rose coming out -- just a wisp of green jasmine winding through, and a memory of some dark, resinous build-up in an incense burner.

Oh this is nice. I want more. The lemongrass phase is worth getting through for this incredible blossoming of scent. It's truly an Indian incense store in a bottle.

Well, phoo. I like the name and the association, and I wanted to like the scent. I think this would probably have been a very nice blend without the rose. With it... floral soap. *sigh* Another one for the swap pile.

Lemon grass and patchouli. This was a very incense/head shop sort of smell on me, strong and very very earthy. The lemongrass takes over on me but there's still some patchouli under there and as it dries down some sandalwood. Nice but not me at all so off to swaps.

I'm SOO glad i gave this more than one chance! The first time I tried it all I got was lemongrass and feet! That said, it still goes on strongly ALL lemongrass, but then the sandalwood and patchouli come round in the drydown and make is warmer and woodier. it is a nice scent this time although it disappears rather fast on me. Hoe I got feet the first time I do not know as it is plesant and refreshing now. Not a favorite for me and I very much wanted it to be. ( Lemon and grapefruit grab on my skin) But I can now say it is not feet!!! :P

I really wanted to love Namaste because I love lemongrass and I'm interested in Buddhist culture (hence, Theravada).

Unfortunately, Namaste was simply a non-descript "perfume" scent on me. It reminded me of all of the department store perfumes that had turned me off of perfume until I found BPAL.

I hope Beth tries another lemongrass scent some day that isn't quite so floral intense.

Immediately, I was encompassed with a warm feeling that I was sure was ginger (probably lemongrass? patchouli?). After about a minute, it was ginger plus old lady perfume (jasmine + rose +sandalwood = Lush's Fever). But something there was just soooooooo relaxing. It was unreal.

Five minutes later the cedar came out to play, unfortunately cedar is my skin chemistry's schoolyard bully. I was so upset at the way my skin pulled that cedar out and hit me in the face with it and took my lunch money. :P

Four hours later, the cedar's finally gone and I'm left with a spicy, tangy wrist. It's pretty much gone at this point.

I wanted to like this a lot, so much so that I will invest in an oil burner so I can use it to fragrance my home instead of my body :D

The first sniff of the bottle was all yoga studio to me. Nice!

While still wet, all I could smell was STRONG herbal lemon...lemongrass, eh?

Hours later, all I could smell on my skin was dark lemon. The dusty sweetness of sandlewood never came out for me.

At the very end of the day, I could still def. smell the lemongrass but there were hints of sandlewood and incense-y notes on my skin. The base of lemongrass just doesn't work for me.

One for the swaps!

This reminded me of something that my mother used to wear....Poison maybe. It had a very nice womanly smell to it.

Just not for me.

I received this imp as a freebie from the lab. I don't know if I would have picked it for myself. In the vial the lemongrass notes are the most obvious. I'm not fond of citrus scents since they smell like household cleaner on me.

Wet- I can smell a mixture of lemon and cedar. Not a good combo for my chemistry. I wanted to wash my skin and rid myself of the offending smell.

Dry-The citrus notes are mellowing and the cedar and pine scents are coming through. I really don't care much for this blend.

This is one for the swap pile!

Cheryl

The lemongrass in Namaste is very clear and pure, like a glass bell. Spiritual. The patchouli is anchored to the earth, and between the two are trees and flowers.

I think this fragrance well reflects the sentiment, "I honor the divine within you". It's gentle and beautiful.

I am madly in love with this scent.

And to think I put her into the scent box after I first smelled her. She didn't impress me then for some reason.

But I believe there's a time and a place for everything... including scents. And now was the time for me to have a romantic little romp with Namaste :P

I am a sucker for sandalwood scents. And this one is one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of wearing. None of the other scents drown out the sandalwood, thank goodness, and so the scent is very warm and spicy on me.

Just how I like it.... *smile*

For some odd reason, I can't really detect the rose or jasmine as much as the sandalwood, cedarwood, and lemongrass. But that's just fine with me because I'm not a huge fan of most rose and jasmine noted scents.

:love:

-Leslie

Edited by MissAnthropy

When I first put this on, it's light incense and something green and slightly sharp. The cedar isn't really coming out much on me, which is a pity, because I love cedar. But this is beautiful anyway. THe jasmine is strong, but I think the sandalwood is giving it a run for it's money. Underneath it all is the green/sharpness of the lemongrass. It seems sophisticated without being snobbish. It's a woman with exquisite taste, wearing Levis and a tank top, barefooted, yet she's wearing flawless one carat diamond studs in her ears.

Yeah, it's like that.

This was a freebie from the Lab.

In the imp: Lemongrass and patchouli. That's... interesting.

Wet: The lemongrass is the strongest note on my skin.

Drydown: It's lemongrass, sandalwood and roses, but mostly lemongrass. It's not working out here. If I wanted to smell like lemongrass only, I could just rub some on my skin. Where are the other notes, dammit? :P

Final thoughts: My stupid skin chemistry strikes again!

With Namaste, the strongest notes to me are sandalwood and cedar, a very woody scent in the bottle and at first on skin. I don't get any lemongrass at all. The woody stage persists for quite a while, then the florals come out, particularly rose, so it becomes a floral scent with a woody base. Unfortunately I don't like rose, so off to swap this went.

The notes I can identify on my skin are Rose, cedar and lemongrass. Luckely no jasmine at all. To me this is a fresh summerday blend. No 5 ml order but I will use the imp till the last drop :P

Origin - imp received in a swap.

Wet - primarily lemongrass.

Dry - still primarily lemongrass but with a lovely sweetness underneath. After an hour or two it becomes a calming blend of lemongrass and cedar. By the way, this has tons of throw. Even a few hours later I can smell this without sniffing my wrists, a rarity for me. My skin has a tendancy of amping up both lemon and cedar, and I guess lemongrass is no exception. I would like this much better if I got any of the sandalwood, jasmine, rose and patchouli notes. Even though I am not a big fan of lemongrass, this is lovely, and I will definitely hang on to the imp.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

In Bottle: The rose and citrus notes are pretty strong. It definitely wakes you up.

Wet: The lemongrass is really pronounced on my skin. but the woodsy scents soften it a little.

Dry: The rose comes out more one the dry-own. The jasmine has come out too...it's a little too sharp for me.

I like the smell better in the bottle. It would make a good shower gel fragrance. It's a little too woodsy/lemony for me.

I bought Namaste for the name and wore it with the indirect translation in my head, "The Divine in me recognizes and bows down to the Divine in you." With that in mind, I expected Namaste to be bright, humble, and at the same time exhibit a yogic serenity.

On my skin, it was two out of the three. I got a bright lemon (lemongrass?) scent fading eventually into a soft, humble sandalwood, but I wouldn't call it serene or calming in any sense. I was actually surprised to read the list of notes after wearing it because I didn't get any of the softness that I'd expect from jasmine and rose. It had two very clear phases and faded quickly once those were past (a couple of hours).

Normally, I'm not turned off by this kind of clarity in a scent, but neither the lemongrass nor the sandalwood were notes that I'm particularly in love with, so this will not become a yoga blend for me as I had hoped.

Weird. Not having the description on hand, my first whiff said ylang-ylang and vetivert to me. That was probably the jasmine and patchouli, I suspect. In the end, I think this is just too patchouli-y for me.

I'll send it on to someone who may appreciate it, if only for its name. :P

Wow...lemony. Then right behind comes the patchouli. When I take long whiffs you can smell the sandalwood. I dont detect rose...yet. I do think the jasmine is making the lemongrass more prominent. I havent decided if I like this one enough to buy a big bottle of it. I cant risk the rose. Rose is not my friend.

In bottle: I can smell the sandalwood and something that smells like bergamot, which I am going to assume is the lemongrass

On Skin: Smells strongly of lemongrass. It's very refreshing. There is something sweet to it, although I can't distinguish if it's jasmine or rose.

On Drydown: I'm getting a very healthy vibe. Like I should be doing yoga. Some of the sharpness of the lemongrass fades and I get the warmer scent of sandalwood. Now the cedarwood is peaking. There's a tone of spiciness to this.

Verdict: Can a scent be energizing? Because I think I just got a charge from this! I'm usually not a patchouli or sandalwood sort of girl, but this has pleasantly surprised me.

More importantly, this does convey a feeling of wholeness. Wow. The scent description is totally on. I might have to order more of this. I just feel... whole. Words utterly fail me. :P