Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Namaste

... This oil blend is a serene, soothing Indian blend, created to bring calm and joy to the heart and peace to the spirit. Sandalwood, jasmine, rose, patchouli, cedarwood and lemongrass.

In bottle: Lemongrass over sandalwood with a faint floral touch. Wet: Grows more complex as it warms. Lemongrass stays very strong, but the other elements are well blended creating a smooth floral/incense blend underneath the super strong lemon. As my skin amps anything lemon like, your results will likely vary. Dry: The lemon eventually chills out taking most of the florals with it. The resulting blend is quite pleasant, sandalwood, cedar, and a hint of patchouli, the ghost of incense.

This smells a little bit like pear drops, it's got a fizzy citrusy smell to it. It's largely lemongrass and sandlewood, mainly lemongrass. I can barely smell the woods and jasmine underneath. It's quite strong and I think this one might give me a headache if I put too much on.

In the imp, this is bright lemongrass, cedarwood and a light touch of patchouli. Wet on the skin, it's all lemongrass...and that's where it ends on my skin. This was a new frimp from the lab...off to the imp box she goes for another try much later!!!

Imp: Lemongrass. Mostly lemongrass with a hint of something woodsy and something floral underneath. It reminds me of a Vietnamese restaurant in a way.

Wet: Strong, loud, screaming lemongrass. My skin LOVES the lemongrass. It's all I can smell.

Dry: I can smell the faintest hint of patchouli and rose. Like I applied a patchouli and rose perfume yesterday and it's lingering under the single note lemongrass I've applied. In a way, I like it. It has a very idealized neo-hippie quality to it and it's quite fresh and bright. Just because I amp lemongrass to unholy proportions doesn't mean I don't like lemongrass. And I find it a sort of intriguing scent. It morphs and changes the longer it's on my skin. And citrus rarely lasts long on me so it's kind of interesting to have a long lasting citrus-like quality from the lemongrass.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: My imp is of indeterminate age. I think I'm going to hang onto it for a while longer to see if time will help bring out the other elements more. I don't know if I necessarily like the scent as it is now but I really like the promise of the scent. It's very earthy, vibrant and could work well on a man or a woman. Definitely worth a try.

My skin amps lemon and cedar to insane degrees so this smells just like lemon Pledge on me :P Hopefully this will age a bit and bring in the rose and patchouli scents if I leave it on longer.

:P

this one is perfect!!! and I swear it smells like lush ginger on me only without ginger, just jasmine and rose without that dirt note that everyone can smell in lush ginger perfume. :D

and i looooove sandalwood and patchouli and lemongrass, this one is a win!!!

Edited by milica

In Vial, It smells like lemon pledge.

Wet, Lemon and wood. Clean and warm.

Dry Lemony wood with a sweet rose behind it. After a few hours the lemon fades a lot and it is all soft floral wood. It is a lot like Seraglio but much less floral. I really like it!

Even though there are six distinct notes in this blend, two of them went missing (to my disappointment)! Rose & sandalwood, where art thou?

In the imp and on first application, the blend is just LEMONGRASS. Then a hint of patchouli comes out and hovers there uncertainly. As Namaste dries down, the lemongrass becomes lemongrass-jasmine, no apparent patchouli. This is a nice, soft jasmine, where the usual (yet fascinating to me) stinkiness of it is mitigated by the citrus/lemongrass. As time goes on, the lemongrass-jasmine becomes lemongrass-jasmine-cedar. Then, the cedar amps up until it's the most noticeable smell, but this is also when the blend gets very soft and light, going from medium strength to light.

It ends on a cedar-bandaid note. Pewp.

So. Namaste. Big morpher.

The blend is without a doubt a calming scent. I even like it, and I'll use it. Just not as perfume. It's not exactly... right.

In the imp: Loads of lemongrass—that's by far the dominant note and it's assertive. Good thing I like lemon. It's not so much a bright lemon, as with Embalming Fluid or Manhattan, and I think part of that is the way it combines with the cedar—it creates the impression of dark, fragrant wood polished with lemon oil. There's a definite undercurrent of patchouli, and when I really concentrate, I get a bit of the jasmine and rose, but not much. I don't really smell any sandalwood, and the blend is much less sweet-and-woody than expected.

On, wet: Still mostly that lemongrass-and-cedar combo, very heavy on the lemon. There's also a very earthy quality from the patchouli. Again, when I concentrate I can pick up just a touch of jasmine's heady quality, but none of its sweetness.

On, dry: Now it smells like what I'd imagined it would: calm, pretty and nicely blended, bright but grounded. The rose and jasmine have come forward and melded with the lemongrass, so that the florals aren't too sweet and the lemon isn't strident. The cedar, patchouli and sandalwood (finally showing up) give this a nice, earthy base that isn't overly woody. The sandalwood is still faint, but that's the sort of note that always comes out for me much later.

Later: Primarily rose—sweetened by a hint of jasmine, brightened by the tart lemongrass, deepened by the patchouli and woods. I'm also getting a very subtle hint of spicy sweetness from the sandalwood, which is beautiful. It's a very light fragrance now, and it doesn't seem like it will be a very long-lived one on me, but it is very calming and balanced.

Overall: I expected to like this one, wibbled over the aggressive lemongrass scent while it was wet—and ended up liking it, despite it being quite different from what I'd imagined. When everything comes into balance, it's a beautiful perfume—sensual in a very understated way. It glows with well-being, and it definitely does lend an air of grounded contentment. It has relatively little throw on me, but I'm not sure this is a perfume that you want everybody to notice--it seems like the kind of thing you wear for yourself and want to keep close to your skin.

Sandalwood, jasmine, patchouli. This was always going to be fresh and indian-esque. But I wasn’t expecting this! It’s a delicious and multi-layered blend. The lemongrass is one of the main ‘wafts’ and it makes this smell like the cloths you get in curry houses after your dinner. Which is fine if you want to remind people of the nice biryani they had last week, but a little odd if you don’t. The dry-down is still very fresh, no cloying aromatics like with a lot of the more Indian themed scents (Kali in particular is quite cloying) and it’s very playful and light. It doesn’t last that long on me though, and doesn’t throw anything but lemongrass. The up-close-and-personal wrist/neck sniff is fantastic though.

Conclusion: Like, but I’ll have to be cautious about the whole face-cloth thing.

7/10. It’s a keeper, and is enjoyable to wear. A summery sweltering scent for hot nights.

:( Namaste is not good for me. I'm discovering that Lemongrass just goes funny on me. I luuuurve the smell of it always, but on my skin...it just seems to go to a sloppy wet dirty smell...so...this is what I get from namaste and not much else apart from a tiny hint of Cedarwood.

:(

I think this would smell lovely on someone else...

This is not sweet at all on me, it's a gorgeous, light and fresh lemon and delicate patchouli. Very summery and calming. Wish I had a whole bottle.

I was trying to work out for ages what it reminded me of, an now I know: Diorella (but softer!) :wub2:

Frimp from the awesome ravyn1.

Imp: Strong, strong lemongrass (a scent I'm not terribly fond of-- sometimes it makes me nauseous), and patchouli. The combination, to me, smells like polished wood-- smooth and brown and shiny, a hint of citrus from the wax. Very grounding.

Wet: Nothing but lemongrass at first blush, that astringent, bitter-lemon smell, then patchouli, strong and dark, backing it, with a bit of cedar. There's rose in this too, since I'm getting a distinct soapiness. There's another floral too, sweeter and more pleasant... guess it's jasmine. Pretty, but not delicate. Namaste seems quite sturdy.

Dry: It stays true on the drydown, becoming a nice, woody patchouli-cedar-sandalwood with flashes of bitter lemongrass and floral. By itself, I don't find it all that fascinating, although it is very calming-- but it might be extra-super-nice layered with something vanilla-ish, to really give it that punch of spice.

A chakra's system's delight! It is mostly lemon dried out to a woody patchouli on my skin. The heart is very subtle. It is stimulating and focusing...a working scent, less of a perfume than my usual BPAL tastes.

In the imp: Nothin but lemongrass. This must be the "Pine Sol" scent I've heard so much about.

Dry: There is a lemony top note, but it's not as bright as when it started. It smells very herbal too. There's a spice pantry kind of smell to it. Sage? It's not listed but I'd swear I smell it.

Overall: It's nice, but not for me. I think this would definitely be good for meditation. However, I don't think it's a scent I would wear.

Wet: LEMON. Screaming, bright, cheerful lemon. No sign of much else.

Dry: Ooh, this is nice. The lemon has finally calmed down and I'm getting a nice incensey smell. If I try hard I can get the scent of the roses and jasmine. normally rose and I Do Not Get Along in a big way, but this is subtle and sultry rather than being overwhelmingly girly.

I put this on right before my shift at work, and it has done wonders for my patience. so far I've managed to stay pleasant with even the most frustrating customers! I may need to get a big bottle of this...

In imp: mostly lemon grass with a smidgen of light florals

Wet: straight lemon- very bright, clean, and refreshing

Dry: still quite lemony but with a nice cedar undertone and a hint of rose rounding it out.

Namaste is having a very calming, peaceful effect on me. I may have to get a 5ml to dab on when I'm stressed. This would also work really well as a summer fragrance.

First sniff in bottle: GROSS! I smell something like the lemon leaf tea I drink but stronger, and nastier. :ack:

On skin: More lemons..but its mellowed now...again..its the tea I drink!

Dry: I get nothing but lemons from this and not nice fresh lemon either...maybe it will morph if I wait some?

An hour later: Its starting to give me a headache..Im washing it off.

This is going in the swap pile! Maybe someone else will like it? :D

In the imp: lemongrass and rose

Wet: rose and jasmine come forward, lemongrass in the background

Dry (hours later): smoky, incensy

not much throw...

I got a compliment on this shortly after I put it on... and my dh noticed (he hasn't noticed any of the others I've tried since becoming a member recently) - more importantly, I like it!

I am not a rose fan, and thought that I hate jasmine - but, they make for an interesting complement to the other notes and I like the complexity of the scent, even though over time it completely simplifies. I like it at each stage.

I am very scent intolerant - get headaches so easily - but this one is a winner for me. I've been wearing it all day with no issues, and even reapplied to one wrist so that I could write this review. Woo hoo!

Wet, this is lemongrass with a hint of sandalwood. It was gorgeous.

And then my skin played with it. It morphed like 6 different times before ending up as rose and cedar. Cedar actually works well on me most of the time (somehow, I don't usually turn it into hamster cage scent, which is what I was afraid I'd do when I first tried cedar blends). Rose can either be really good on me (i.e., when other things mostly drown it out so that I get a very, very faint rose scent that I only notice if I really think about it), or it can be ZOMGWOAHPOWDERFLOWEROFDEATH, which is what it did here. So I ended up with powderflower and a hint of cedar. Not so good.

Strangely, I never even got a hint of jasmine or patchouli.

I may try this in a scent locket, because I really liked the wet phase.

Once applied, it's rosey lemongrass. The jasmine is also there, but all it's doing is sharpening up the rose. The oil looks dark, and promises resins, however I am not getting any of the lovelyness that is sandalwood patchouli. I know it's there, and it's making the other notes a bit smokey, especially as it dries down, however it's mostly the lemongrass rose that I'm picking up.

It's very nice though! It kind of reminds of of spa candles.

In the vial: A yellow-green scent which I would guess to be lemongrass, but honestly I can't pin down notes. Regardless, I already think it's not my sort of scent.

On me: Immediately on the skin it's an Asian restaurant: lemongrass and blond woods. After about fifteen minutes the patchouli amps a bit, dimming and grounding the airy, fresh yellow-green of the lemongrass. But after a half hour the scent reaches its final stage—and it's full of florals. There's a fleshy, damp jasmine, but rose tends to amp on my skin so that's what I really get here: a heady pink/red rose with a touch of lemon citrus and patchouli's darkness.

Verdict: I'm not a fan of lemon, so it's very odd for me to say that I actually prefer the earliest stages of this scent. It's a fresh lemongrass with a bit of dimension from the patchouli, cedar, and sandalwood—and really quite pleasant, although it's not the sort of scent that I'd wear often. But the fleshy rosy florals are the same old sin of skin chemistry, and to my nose quite unpleasant. Other skin chemistries will probably have more luck, however, in keeping this scent balanced. I'll pass along my imp.

Lost is eating my brain: when I read or hear "Namaste" I think of the Dharma Foundation, none of whose members I was fond of. Anyway, this was a frimp from the lab.

Reading the ingredients, I don't expect to be doing well with this. Lemongrass and jasmine rarely work and rose can go either way. Patchoulo, cedarwood and sandalwood, however, I am very fond of. So let's see.

In the imp - jasmine and sandalwood with a hint of lemongrass.

On wet - The moment it hits, my skin starts amping the lemongrass. You don't want to know just how much my skin amps anything remotely related to citrus. The cedarwood and patchouli add a herbal touch, it reminds me of lemon cough drops.

Drydown - nope, that's all I'm going to get out of this, Vicks lemondrops. It's not necessarily a bad smell because much like Loup Garou's VapoRub-ish scent, it reminds me of childhood medicine and getting soothing relief from small ailments. I'll keep it, but not as a personal fragrance.

Edited by voorishsign

Smells almost like Proshitapathika on my skin. Sort of like Tin Phoenix too, but more like Proshitapathika. A lot of the lemongrass blends end up smelling the same way, strong lemon and nothing else on me. Which is fine, but I only need one scent from the overpowering BPAL lemongrass family and Tin Phoenix won!

Gosh, I wish this had smelled anything like what the other posts say...at first sniff, it completely reminded me of the Tibetan stores nearby...a melange of incense smells.

Was hoping it would morph, but the longer I wore it the stronger the incense smell became (mostly sandalwood!). Now I love Sandalwood, but this was overpowering, and not something I want to smell on myself constantly.