Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Wolf Moon 2004

This is the dead of winter, the year’s dark hibernation, the crystalline silence of the depths of the world’s darkness. It bears echoes of the time before time, of primordial gloom. This Moon harbors memories of man’s life before fire.

so not what i was expecting...
smells like a stroll through a cold, snowy forest. no pine or xmas tree or anything specific like that... but the cold, the green, the dirt, the foliage...
and possibly the leather jacket you (or your husband) is wearing and the faint floral scent lingering from your soap/shampoo/yesterday's perfume/fabric softener/cosmetics

this is very faint on me, and smells much too cold for me to wear while it is so cold outside.... but it was nice back during the summer.

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Musky berries.

In the imp: Surprisingly fresh, and almost soapy.

On skin, wet: Very musky, somehow spicy, and almost grassy. There is something akin to pine, but it hasn't that kick-in-the-face quality that pine typically has.

On skin, dry: Fruity? I can't figure why, but something about this is fruity, or more rightly, berry-y. Musky as well, a bit like Coyote, but green and berry-like as well. It's actually very nice. Thankfully, I don't seem to the the only one that's gotten berry from this, so I needn't worry that I've gone insane.

Conclusion: I love the muskiness of Wolf Moon, and its berry-ness as it dries was unexpected, but lovely.

Barely there. It's woodsy, but not overwhelmingly evergreen like I expected it to be. This is woods on a crisp, cool night when you need a fire out. It's vaguely smoky. Maybe a touch of juniper berry?

Aquatic and cool with an earthy tinge, earthy but not dirty.

On, it comes right out with a flood of aquatics and a mild pine overlaid with a fierce lash of grassy, green florals, and perhaps a faint touch of sweet lemon.

This is not animalistic, nor is it dirty, it's a cold sort of earthy smell, remote and crystalline, and ultimately aquatic and floral in character. Floral for people who can't wear florals, really, since it doesn't appear to contain any of the ingredients I object to.

Everyone is comparing this to water. I'm going with the clarity of the moonlight that comes when a storm breaks up in the night, leaving the smell of rain and crushed juicy stems. It's very pretty, and instead of being frightening or fell, it's quietly sad. And very patient. The kind of dark that waits for you. Dark broken only by moonlight, starlight. Darkness, yes, darkness before we found fire.

Heh. I'm glad I didn't read the reviews before I snagged a half-imp of this, or I'd have passed it up.

I don't get aquatic or floral, thank gods, those are headache-death notes for me. Aquatics always go soapy or cologney on me, and there is none of that here. There is a touch of cologne sniffing from the vial, but it goes away upon application. And I love pine but I don't get that, either.

Instead, I get something very similar to Hunter's Moon '04, but with less wood note. I'm finding it very hard to describe... the words foresty, woodsy, musky, animalistic, and earthy all flow through my mind, but none exactly fits. It's kind of all of those things together, combined into some totally new and undescribable scent that can only be partially hinted at by calling upon those other things. I'm not as familiar with the earlier lunacies that shared a base lunar oils component, but somehow this scent *is* evocative of a full moon to me. And that base may also be why it calls to mind the first Hunter's Moon.

I'm a big fan of the '06 Wolf Moon, and this is quite different from that in terms of scent, but I think that it does create a similar mood and feeling. This isn't an "OMGMUSTHAVEMOAR" scent for me, but I will keep an eye out in case some crosses my path, because I do enjoy it and am glad to have gotten to try it.

This is not at all what I was expecting. I think I figured it would be way muskier, perhaps more like coyote, but colder and with pine or fir. Instead, it's quite pretty. Still cold, but with a tingle of sweetness. Maybe even a little floral

This one is more of an aquatic/clean on me than I expected, I get some pine and the dreaded dryer sheet problem.

Ah well.

Very clean with no florals.....Just water, and spice and something green like a forest or something else. This dries down to a walk in a forest with flowers, incense, fresh water and wood. I am glad I got a chance to sniff a rare, I see why its sought after, but not just for me....

D. Alice

Edited by Dark Alice

Bottle:

It's aquatic and sappy. Not necessarily woodsy yet.

After 30 minutes:

I don't know what all aging has gone on here, but Wow. Woodsy, but not as barky as Luperci. Doesn't scream forest. Very earthy and warm, low spicey.

I can't smell the professed amber, but I think its purpose might be to mellow out the spices to a nice woodsy town rather than an incense temple type spice.

I love it.

Sniffed: Clean, fresh and very light - almost aquatic, or like rain. Also a little woody, in a slightly dark, masculine way. A very green, almost slightly sharp/herbal cucumber note, and something sweet, sort of like apples?

Wet: Still extremely delicate, but a little brighter, and more cologney & definitively aquatic. The wood note(s) seem to be a bit sweet, or possibly there is a sweet resin like frankincense. Still lots of cucumber, but I do think there are other, stronger green notes too.

Dry: The sharpness of the greenery must be ivy, because it has that sharp edge - and I get a bit of a Passionate Shepherd feel. The aquatic note is becoming almost salty - it's really rainy and amping. I don't get pine, but I think spruce or cypress is likely. It's getting sweeter and more fruity, and has become very slightly soapy.

Later: The cool cucumber/slight evergreen combo does remind me of Blue Moon, though only the 07 version. I suspect the orchid from that blend, as well as a touch of moonflower. More and more floral as it dries. Also, it's almost a little sickly sweet/candyish/artificial, in a way that reminds me of Baneberry. It's also gone a little spicy/resiny (maybe like sap) and buttery/foody? WTF.

Summary: Slightly heady orchid and 'nocturnal' florals with sweet berries (I get a raspberry note), darkly spicy ivy & resins. Surprisingly feminine. Good throw. I unfortunately find it rather 'generic' and B&BW-ish. :\

781025808_yunWh-Ti.jpg

I really love Wolf Moon 2007, so when I had the chance to score a bottle of the earlier release, I jumped on it like a hen on a june bug! Although the official description of both incarnations is the same, the scents are different...different like a winter and summer version, imo. The 2007 version, the one I first loved, is a much stronger, heavier version - what I am now thinking of as the 'winter' version, as it seems to have more heft, more fur, more pine, and a much colder aquatic note, as in snow. The 2004 version has the same pine and cool aquatic note but it's rain rather than snow, not nearly as much pine, and all in all a much lighter oil. I like it very much, and will forever be grateful to the eBayer who sold it. :) :heart:

Edited by stellans

Wolf Moon 04 was the first Bpal scent I purchased on ebay, back before I knew of the forum... It was strange the way I found it, I searched for the words "wolf" and "moon" looking for things for hubby who is a wolf fanatic ... and fell down into the world of bpal.

I'm suprised I didnt review this yet. Maybe cause I rarely wear it, I have 2 imps worth left and I'm holding on for dear life.

It is a fuzzy, nuzzly, piney, resin, earthy scent. I think it embodies "animal" perfectly. Its also a wonderful layering scent... (a tad bit of graveyard dirt and a tad bit of wolf moon has me insane!!)

One of my favorite favorites and saved for occasions appropriate!

My only experience with this scent is from an obviously aged imp. I just wanted to throw that out there as I bet six years has done something to it's chemistry.

I definitely get berries from this scent, especially on dry down, mixed with a really soft musk. There's something cold and wet and very snow-like poking it's head out, but it's not overly aquatic. It's very subtle, and the best I can describe it is that sticky kind of snow you get when the temperature warms up a bit in the winter, but not quite a thaw. It's a December kind of winter, where there's little patches of snow on the ground and the forest smells good because it's wet. There's no overpowering pine smell, just something that hints at forest in the winter.

I get a bit of spice from this and I have a feeling age has turned it a bit into a "Christmas candle" smell. It's not entirely a bad thing, but I can't help but wonder if it was like this when it was fresher? Dry I get a berry/Christmas type candle smell that overpowers the original forest smell a bit.

Overall, this scent is very soft and subdued. It's a forest in December with a hint of Christmas for good measure.

I was searching for a word to describe this, and I thought of 'crystalline'....then I saw that it's already in the description! This isn't like a lot of other wintry scents. This reminds me of a babbling brook in a winter forest, but there's not really any pine or woods. It's more like the crisp air of the forest. Also this is different from most of the typical aquatic scents, but I'm not sure how to express how it's different. Finally, I am picking up on some spices, maybe ginger, and possibly some kind of furry musk, but just a little bit. This is a lot lighter than Wolf Moon '07 but the spirit of the scent is the same. This one is more gentle.

Cold and woodsy. Not as furry and wolfy as I expected. I think I'd like this one better if I didn't already have my cold/icy/slushy/snow favorites.