Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
morriganswitch

Yankee Candle to BPAL

I've started stalking ebay for "Warm Apple Crisp" which was my mom's favorite candle - the alternatives I've found for her are not quite the same, she says. What would be the BPAL comparison to that, I wonder? I can't seem to find the notes for it, possibly because it's been discontinued for a few years now. (Aha, it's Crisp, not Pie, and it's available on the net!) Baking apples, brown sugar and spices. Samhain seems to be closest, but it's got pumpkin in it. Maybe the Halloweenies will have something.

I really like their Spiced Pumpkin Pie and Autumn Harvest - I have the latter in a reed jar in my bathroom, and then I have Greenhouse in my kitchen with a leaf of basil from my balcony laid on top.

Has anyone tried the new Beanswax candles, the soy ones? I'm in love with Over the Moon - can anyone tell me what's in it, or if they know of any similar oils? (The YC site doesn't name anything specific)

Never mind. :P

I think Drink Me smells a bit like a mix between Cinnamon Stick and Home Sweet Home.

This may be going a far back, but does anybody know a BPAL scent that smells similar to Rainbow's End? The scent was discontinued a good six, seven years ago and it's one of my favorites still.

Edited by CarnivalNoir

Ok so it's not a perfume but I would love to find a scent that smells similar to Yankee Candle's Vanilla Lime. My fiance absolutely loves that candle scent, and I like it a lot too. I'm a citrus fan in general when it comes to bpal and I've tried some of their citrusy scents and they're all quite nice but they are all sharp and clean, I want somethingy creamy like the candle, more sweet and foody. I don't even know if bpal has something like that?

Shoggoth (young coconut + lime), Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat (melon + lime), and Whitechapel (lilac + lime) are interesting takes on lime, although not vanilla. The only vanilla one I can think of is Mr. Nancy, which is very much lime sugar cookies.

Shoggoth (young coconut + lime), Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat (melon + lime), and Whitechapel (lilac + lime) are interesting takes on lime, although not vanilla. The only vanilla one I can think of is Mr. Nancy, which is very much lime sugar cookies.

Oooh thanks! I've tried Whitechapel and its nice but not really me. I'll have to try and get some Shoggoth and Mr. Nancy which sounds especially yummy.

Ok so it's not a perfume but I would love to find a scent that smells similar to Yankee Candle's Vanilla Lime. My fiance absolutely loves that candle scent, and I like it a lot too. I'm a citrus fan in general when it comes to bpal and I've tried some of their citrusy scents and they're all quite nice but they are all sharp and clean, I want somethingy creamy like the candle, more sweet and foody. I don't even know if bpal has something like that?

I haven't smelled the candle, but septima_pica's suggestions of Mr. Nancy and Shoggoth were the first things that came to my mind. Mr. Nancy isn't creamy, but it is super-foody with a very sweet lime. Shoggoth is a little creamy from the coconut but is more delicate and subtle.

Schrodinger's Cat (Bewitching Brews), Croquet (Mad Tea Party), and Detox (Panacea - best lime ever) are all sweet lime/citrus blends; you could try layering them over some creamy vanilla blends. Tombstone smells like a vanilla candle on me and might be a good base, and a lot of people get a creamy vanilla from Dorian and Mouse's Long and Sad Tale.

I haven't smelled the candle, but septima_pica's suggestions of Mr. Nancy and Shoggoth were the first things that came to my mind. Mr. Nancy isn't creamy, but it is super-foody with a very sweet lime. Shoggoth is a little creamy from the coconut but is more delicate and subtle.

Schrodinger's Cat (Bewitching Brews), Croquet (Mad Tea Party), and Detox (Panacea - best lime ever) are all sweet lime/citrus blends; you could try layering them over some creamy vanilla blends. Tombstone smells like a vanilla candle on me and might be a good base, and a lot of people get a creamy vanilla from Dorian and Mouse's Long and Sad Tale.

Maybe Zephyr could be an option, it always reminded me of lemon baiser cake although it is not a foody scent by definition. It is not an exact match for Yankee Candle Vanilla Lime, which I also love btw, but maybe you like it.

My sister is in-love with the Midsummer's Night scent from Yankee Candle Co. and she has often commented that it would make an awesome cologne/perfume. So, I thought it would be cool to find her a blend that has a similar scent.

None of the blends I have experienced so far smell like MN, but I am a perfume noob so that is not surprising.

Would some of you more experienced perfume addicts help me out here, please? Thanks. :D

It's been a long time since I smelled Midsummer's Night, but you might try Galvanic Goggles or Robotic Scarab from the Steamworks collection. They both seem very similar to MN.

I love Midsummer's Night. I think it's my favorite fragrance from Yankee. I find it very comforting and I always burn mine when I read Harry Potter :lol:

It's funny that you'd mention burning it while you're reading....

The scent reminds me of when I was younger. I had a large jar of MN and I'd sit in my room with my lights off, burning the candle and reading by the light of the candle and the stupid purple Christmas lights I kept up in my room all year long. :P That was during the apex of my Stephen King obsession, so now it reminds me of Stephen King whenever I catch a wiff.

I love Midsummer's Night. I think it's my favorite fragrance from Yankee. I find it very comforting and I always burn mine when I read Harry Potter :lol:

Great minds think alike, Neon!

MN is very...meditative. It's perfect for reading.

Just wondering is such a thing exists.

ETA - (title of original thread - Is there a BPAL like YC's Evening Air candle?)

Edited by ivyandpeony
added info after merge

ETA - (title of original thread - Is there a BPAL like YC's Evening Air candle?)

I haven't smelled Evening Air, but the description, "The crisp breeze of a fall night warmed with notes of clove, geranium, basil, cedarwood and musk," reminds me of Samhain, Samhainophobia, Falling Leaf Moon, and Ekhidna...

Resurrecting this thread!

Yankee Candles were on sale in a local shop today, so I bought quite a few. :lol: I kept sniffing the Sandalwood Vanilla one because it reminded me SO much of a BPAL scent - then I suddenly realised what it was - Monster Bait: Underpants! I checked the notes of that, and yup, sandalwood and vanilla. Yum!

I kept sniffing the Sandalwood Vanilla one because it reminded me SO much of a BPAL scent - then I suddenly realised what it was - Monster Bait: Underpants! I checked the notes of that, and yup, sandalwood and vanilla. Yum!

I had a similar experience, where I found Vanilla Satin reminded me of Antique Lace. Now I want Vanilla Sandalwood AND Vanilla Satin! :joy:

I kept sniffing the Sandalwood Vanilla one because it reminded me SO much of a BPAL scent - then I suddenly realised what it was - Monster Bait: Underpants! I checked the notes of that, and yup, sandalwood and vanilla. Yum!

I had a similar experience, where I found Vanilla Satin reminded me of Antique Lace. Now I want Vanilla Sandalwood AND Vanilla Satin! :joy:

Oooh, they didn't have Vanilla Satin there. I need to find it now! :lol:

ETA: Just saw that the UK shop is having a sale too! I got a couple Vanilla Satins. ;)

Edited by redderz

Oh my goodness...now I'm nervous! I hope you like it! Please come back and tell us what you think!

:D

Oooh, they didn't have Vanilla Satin there. I need to find it now! :lol:

ETA: Just saw that the UK shop is having a sale too! I got a couple Vanilla Satins. ;)

So...just to make sure I didn't steer you wrong, redderz, I am sniffing my old bottle of AL and a Vanilla Satin votive side by side, and I really do find they have much in common. Antique Lace is not a particular fave. of mine, but I need to bear in mind that it's pretty precious to many BPALers before I go throwing comparasins around! Whew!

Edited to add: the similarity is stronger when the candle is burning.

Edited by Melisssa

So...just to make sure I didn't steer you wrong, redderz, I am sniffing my old bottle of AL and a Vanilla Satin votive side by side, and I really do find they have much in common. Antique Lace is not a particular fave. of mine, but I need to bear in mind that it's pretty precious to many BPALers before I go throwing comparasins around! Whew!

Edited to add: the similarity is stronger when the candle is burning.

Don't worry, I JUST got a bottle of AL too. I'm all set! ;) Plus, vanilla is my favourite scent! So having more vanilla smellies is never a bad thing. :wub2: