Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

The scent of tea - BPAL's tea note, BPAL blends like your favorite tea

What about some of the Salons?

ITASÔ KANSEI NENKAN JORÔ NO FÛZOKU

Osmanthus, white honey, ti leaf, hibiscus, and sugar cane. Hibiscus has this lovely fruity/rosy smell, BTW. "Ti leaf" is just another spelling for "tea leaf".

THE LANTERN GHOST OF OIWA

Black tea, cherry blossom, ho wood, calla lily, rice wine, and white mint. Tea, cherry blossom.

THE FOX-WOMAN KUZUNOHA LEAVING HER CHILD

White tea, cherry blossom, wisteria, star jasmine, and teak. Might be too floral, but might be just right, especially with the wood to hold it down a bit. Kind of like the tannins in teas do.

I think Itaso seems to be the best one for you. Try hunting down a bit of it.

N.

Tea is one of my all-time favourite notes (and drinks, hee!). I love Alice and Maiden, but most teas with lemon or citrusy notes go "off" on me.

I was actually wondering if there's a scent close to the scent of a nice, spicy chai.

I get green tea from Phantasm after the lemon has died down. Last week I tried The Lion and got a definite black tea note along with the amber :P

Christine Daae - Below is a post earlier in this thread:

Sudha Segara... smells like chai to me, it's very light and lovely. No garden notes there, no florals, nothing. just ginger and a sweet-ish creamy note - it's my casual wear scent.

Also, if you have my weird skin chemistry and you can find it, Trick or Treat smells exactly like spiced Chai tea on me. You can also try layering tea scents with pumpkin or pumpkin pie scents since they're spiced with all that nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and ginger.

Christine Daae - Below is a post earlier in this thread:

Sudha Segara... smells like chai to me, it's very light and lovely. No garden notes there, no florals, nothing. just ginger and a sweet-ish creamy note - it's my casual wear scent.

Also, if you have my weird skin chemistry and you can find it, Trick or Treat smells exactly like spiced Chai tea on me. You can also try layering tea scents with pumpkin or pumpkin pie scents since they're spiced with all that nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and ginger.

Ahh, didn't read thoroughly enough! Thank you for the reccomendation!! :P

Shanghai is giving me a strong note of Windex during the initial application and for the first half hour. Whatever that is, it doesn't like me. I can smell the green tea later, but can't get happily through the Windex phase. Drat.

Has anyone experienced a perfect jasmine tea?

Okay, I haven't. Not yet, I hope.

I can imagine it, though; the subtle scent of jasmine sambac (I've never thought of it as a sweet floral, even when I found out that there is a little Sambac bush in one of the most forgotten corners of the front yard and subsequently made very good friends with it) against the warm but dry base of oolong/green tea. Minimal sweetness, perhaps only the idea of sweetness, and no astringency (I have a bad habit of putting too much tea/leaving it in for too long). The smell leaves me in Nirvana.

(reads: Craaaaaaaaaaviiiiiiing... crrraaaaaaviiiiinnnng...)

Are there any BPAL equivalents to what my mind is tormenting me with? Or any other non-sweet tea scents?

I wish I could say, "yes, there's something here that smells exactly like jasmine tea!", because it's a smell I've been looking for for years. I haven't found it in the BPAL catalogue, though it may partly be because my chemistry amps the BPAL jasmine to insane headache-inducing levels. If you happen to have a more agreeable chemistry, you might want to try Phantasm (which has both jasmine and tea in it), and I believe there are a few Salon scents for Asian artworks that have tea in them and may also have jasmine, so you might want to check those out. Good luck! And if you ever find something that's a dead ringer for jasmine tea, please send me a PM! :P

Thank you! Will do! :P

(both looking at Phantasm/Salon scents and PMing you if the search is successful)

On me, Yuki-Onna has kind of a lemony jasmine tea scent to it (with a hint of bergamot,) but that's the closest that I've found.

Have you tried Fox-Woman Kuzuhona?

I *love* jasmine flowers and I love jasmine tea, so I've been searching for a BPAL jasmine blend that works on me ever since I discovered BPAL. The Fox-Woman is it.

It's rounded out slightly by wisteria and cherry blossom, so it's not a straight jasmine tea scent, but it's close enough for me. Sweet, light and beautiful :P

From the reviews, Fox-Woman sounds AWESOME.

Now to procure me some...

*continues browsing through the Salon*

I'm trying out a frimp of Shanghai today as well - it doesn't really smell like jasmine, but it really does smell like TEA! :P

I'd love to try Kuzunoha sometime-- unfortunately, Shanghai smelled like Irish Spring soap on me, instead of tea.

I don't know what it smells like but Melisande from Carnivale Diabolique has jasmine sambac in it. I can't remember the other notes off the top of my head but that stuck in my head and then I saw this thread.

Has anyone experienced a perfect jasmine tea?

Okay, I haven't. Not yet, I hope.

I can imagine it, though; the subtle scent of jasmine sambac (I've never thought of it as a sweet floral, even when I found out that there is a little Sambac bush in one of the most forgotten corners of the front yard and subsequently made very good friends with it) against the warm but dry base of oolong/green tea. Minimal sweetness, perhaps only the idea of sweetness, and no astringency (I have a bad habit of putting too much tea/leaving it in for too long). The smell leaves me in Nirvana.

(reads: Craaaaaaaaaaviiiiiiing... crrraaaaaaviiiiinnnng...)

Are there any BPAL equivalents to what my mind is tormenting me with? Or any other non-sweet tea scents?

Not BPAL, but Lush's Flying Fox shower gel smells just like Jasmine Tea to me. There is a temple balm available too, though I have never smelled it so I don't know if it smells the same.

Melisande's jasmine sashays out of my life and field of smell (field of smell? :P) very quickly, leaving me with a musky powder. Oh, the heartbreak...

But yep, totally into the Flying Fox range... even if the temple balm somehow turns uber-metallic after a while. If I recall, there was/is a bathtub murdering ballistic that smells exactly like FF. If only I was a bath person...

My skin swallows tea, or amplifies everything else. I never isolate the tea note although sometimes there is a certain indefinable "something" there. Green tea turns to lemon or lemongrass. Is the leather note in Severin very strong? It's one of the very few scents with tea I haven't tried.

Green tea turns very bitter on me, Earl Grey is too strong, but I love the Hyson tea note in Gennivre. With the lemon, it turns out as a perfectly sweetened tea in summer. Bakeneko is my favorite tea blend.

I can wear green tea scents pretty well. My favorite tea blend is Embalming Fluid :P . It lasts a long time on me and was one of the first scents I bought as a bottle. Shanghai is a nice complement to it and I get a lot of tea from it too with the honeysuckle, but it doesn't last as long on me. I'm thinking of layering them when I want a more floral scent like Shanghai. I haven't tried Bakeneko and now I want to.

I also love the smell of jasmine tea. Melisande came out too smoky for me.

So far, my favorite is Dorian followed closely by White Rabbit and Embalming Fluid. But I haven't tried them all yet, so I'll reserve final judgment until then.

Is the leather note in Severin very strong? It's one of the very few scents with tea I haven't tried.

Not on me it's not, it's very light indeed.

I hate the drink tea but I've discovered I love the scent! I'm slowly but surely making my way through all the tea scents - or at least the ones minus dealbreaker notes. I have bottles of Dorian, White Rabbit, Theodosius, Plunder, Green Tree Viper and Dragon Moon, and have a bottle of Kumiho on the way. And an imp of Tweedledum. Of those Dorian is my absolute favourite, but I also love White Rabbit and Kumiho.

I've also tried Embalming Fluid (ok, but green tea seems to be my least favourite), Bewitched (very nice but for the sage) , Phantasm (nice but too floral), Euphrosyne (too floral), Cordelia (pretty), Maiden (rose took over), Severin (would be bottle worthy if it were stronger and lasted longer), The Dormouse (similiar to White Rabbit on me but minus honey and more floral) and Manhattan (amber is my nemesis).

I think Shanghai is next on my list.

I just wanted to put in a good word for Famine here. It is a wonderful smoky black tea scent. I detect some honey, although it isn't listed on the notes, but the overall effect is not as sweet as White Rabbit or even Dorian. I was afraid that Famine would be too masculine for me to wear, but it's not. It reminds me of Chergui, a very exclusive Serge Lutens parfume that can be only obtained in Paris.

Severin (would be bottle worthy if it were stronger and lasted longer).

I had that trouble too. For the record, I love Dorian and I think Shadwell is one of the most comforting things I've ever smelled. Kumiho and Embalming fluid are pleasant enough, but herbert West is dead sexy.

Mm, I would love some tea scents. I have my eye on Kumiho.

I got a decant of Dragon Moon, and while I can smell the tea in the vial, it gets buried in the dragon's blood once it hits my skin.

Whatever I get with tea in it must not have rose, vanilla, or (I suspect) resin.