Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

The scent of tea - BPAL's tea note, BPAL blends like your favorite tea

I love the Lab's tea note , but sadly it's one of those things that vanishes quickly on my skin :cry2:

I haven't had the chance to look at this thread in detail... but does anyone know of any scent that has a note of chinese tea in it? Specifically Pu-er if you know what I'm talking about. I love the nostalgia that Pu-er evokes and always have one cup of it everyday!

Bumping this thread to see if anyone had more tea recs. I just tried Embalming Fluid last night, and I love it a lot. I was wondering if anyone had any light, fresh tea recs? I love Dorian, Mysterious Warning, and Nostrum Remedium (which is my perfect tea scent - black tea, very fresh and not too sweet). I'd love to get a few new imps to try with my next lab order.

From this thread, here is my short list:

Herbert West

Kumiho

Cheshire Cat

Dormouse

Baobhan Sith

Shanghai

Maiden

Tweedledum

I was actually thinking about springing for a bottle of Shanghai or Kumiho unsniffed, as they seemed the most promising, but I should probably hold off.

Not available as a lab imp, but if you can get a decant of The Unsteady Governess from swaps, it's a wonderful tea scent - just white tea and violet leaf.

I actually have a decant of that coming to me! I'd passed on it originally because I'm not a huge fan of violet, but I've heard the leaf note is more green than floral so I'm hoping it will work on me.

I am loving The Unsteady Governess :wub2: I find it so fresh and uplifting and the only BPAL oil where I have bought an extra bottle as a back up.

Embalming Fluid is also a favourite and I need more! My boyfriend loves it too so I'll be getting him a bottle next order as well

I love BPAL's tea scents - and I agree that The Unsteady Governess is fantastic! I have also been loving The Chinese Dance. I was initially a little wary because violet has turned on me after a long, congenial relationship, and I didn't know what to expect from the wormwood. But what I get is mostly tea, tea, tea - the wormwood seems to keep the other components from being too sweet, and the violet, blackcurrant and mandarin add this subtle sweetness that doesn't really read as any one of the individual notes. Kind of a purple background, if you will. I have a lot of light, crisp tea scents (like The Unsteady Governess) so I like that The Chinese Dance has this unique feel.

I know this is behind the times, but FWIW, from that list, I don't get a lot of tea from Herbert West, Cheshire Cat (which I do love, just not for the tea), Baobhan Sith (though it's been a long time since I tried that), or Tweedledum. Kumiho especially is almost straight green tea on me, and Maiden is also strongly white tea (light and fresh), edged with florals (I just got this and like it a lot). Secrets of the Dead is also very very green tea on me. (and F5, too!)

For black tea, neither of these are GC, but Severin is pure black tea on me, and Eight Views of Actors in Their Dressing Rooms dries down very similarly to Severin on me (starts with a big blast of mandarin).

Bumping this thread to see if anyone had more tea recs. I just tried Embalming Fluid last night, and I love it a lot. I was wondering if anyone had any light, fresh tea recs? I love Dorian, Mysterious Warning, and Nostrum Remedium (which is my perfect tea scent - black tea, very fresh and not too sweet). I'd love to get a few new imps to try with my next lab order.

From this thread, here is my short list:

Herbert West

Kumiho

Cheshire Cat

Dormouse

Baobhan Sith

Shanghai

Maiden

Tweedledum

I was actually thinking about springing for a bottle of Shanghai or Kumiho unsniffed, as they seemed the most promising, but I should probably hold off.

My absolute favorite tea scent so far is Ehecatl: "Hibiscus, matcha, white musk, and lime"

Matcha is green tea used in the Japanese tea ceremony. I'd say Ehecatl is Embalming Fluid's cousin with lime instead of lemon. I'd also have to say Ehecatl is probably one of my top ten scents, period. Shanghai, Kumiho, and Maiden are on my "to try" list.

My absolute favorite tea scent so far is Ehecatl: "Hibiscus, matcha, white musk, and lime"

Matcha is green tea used in the Japanese tea ceremony. I'd say Ehecatl is Embalming Fluid's cousin with lime instead of lemon. I'd also have to say Ehecatl is probably one of my top ten scents, period. Shanghai, Kumiho, and Maiden are on my "to try" list.

How did I miss this scent? It sounds amazing! I have to get an imp of this in my next order, for sure.

I, too, am a tea scent lover, and I'm wondering about how the Shunga Tea scent compares to some of the ones people have been mentioning. Kumiho is my all-time favorite tea scent, but I like The Chinese Dance and The Unsteady Governess as well. I like Embalming Fluid, too, but I like Kumiho's touch of sweetness even more. Also, the lab's green tea note sometimes goes too sharp on me in such scents as Shanghai. Anyone know how Tea fits in with all of these?

I haven't tried that many tea blends...

I've tried Bewitched, which is green tea if my memory is right... but on me it's very sweet and smells like a blackberry lollipop...

I've tried Eros, which literally makes me gag... it just smells awful. I don't know if it's the tea leaf, or what is it that smells this bad in it, but it's acrid and gross.

And I tried White Rabbit, which is nice, but doesn't smell of tea at all...it smells of warm vanilla milk...

Can someone recommend blends that smell more tea-like, without being anywhere similar to Eros, please?

BTW, it smells gross to me on everyone, so it's not a skin chemistry thing, it's a note thing... I just don't know what smells this acrid.

I know it's not the lilac, since I liked the lilac elsewhere... I don't think its the honey either...

I haven't tried that many tea blends...

I've tried Bewitched, which is green tea if my memory is right... but on me it's very sweet and smells like a blackberry lollipop...

I've tried Eros, which literally makes me gag... it just smells awful. I don't know if it's the tea leaf, or what is it that smells this bad in it, but it's acrid and gross.

And I tried White Rabbit, which is nice, but doesn't smell of tea at all...it smells of warm vanilla milk...

Can someone recommend blends that smell more tea-like, without being anywhere similar to Eros, please?

The blends that are heavy on the green tea for me are Shanghai and Embalming Fluid, with Shanghai being the more lemony of the two.

Nostrum Remedium might be one to try. I get a strong tea smell from it sometimes.

And Maiden is good for trying bpal's white tea note. It's a sharp, clean, almost citrussy tea smell on me.

Couple Engaged In Lovemaking (Honey, lemongrass, black tea, white ginger, and grains) from the 2011 Shuga Collection is a very true black tea scent on me, to the point of overpowering the other notes almost entirely.

Unfortunately though, I think I've found that I'm not much of a tea blend lover. I've tried Gennivre as well, and that scent didn't sit well with me either. Dorian, Embalming Fluid and White Rabbit are in my pile of "GC's to try", so we'll see how those end up behaving before I write off the whole category.

<b>I haven't had the chance to look at this thread in detail... but does anyone know of any scent that has a note of chinese tea in it? Specifically Pu-er if you know what I'm talking about. I love the nostalgia that Pu-er evokes and always have one cup of it everyday! </b>

I think oakmoss blends and the various mushroom scents (Death Cap, Destroying Angel, Grave Pig) might be good places to start, for the sort of smokey/earthy/slightly fungal qualities I associate with pu-erh. I haven't seen anything that looks like it would be a close match on its own, but layering might work if you're in a position to experiment.

I, too, am a tea scent lover, and I'm wondering about how the Shunga Tea scent compares to some of the ones people have been mentioning. Kumiho is my all-time favorite tea scent, but I like The Chinese Dance and The Unsteady Governess as well. I like Embalming Fluid, too, but I like Kumiho's touch of sweetness even more. Also, the lab's green tea note sometimes goes too sharp on me in such scents as Shanghai. Anyone know how Tea fits in with all of these?

Shunga TEA smells like a cross between a green & black tea to me, but the part that I love is the sweet honey with a touch of lemon to it!

Tea lovers, you should not pass up Shunga's TEA.

(I am buying multiples :D)

I wish I got the experience that you guys seemed to get from Tea and Couple Engaged in Lovemaking.

Tea is just lemongrass, lemongrass, lemongrass on me - the lemongrass overpowers everything else in there.

Couple Engaged in Lovemaking is single note oatmeal. Apparently I amp grain smells?

Either way, neither really smelled like tea to me.

To piggy-back on this topic. I absolutely adore The Dormouse. However, the scent just doesn't last very long on my skin,I almost have to bathe in for it to have staying power. To really notice it you practically have to press your nose against the skin and since my life does not include a whole lot of people sniffing my skin I don't feel I can justify a whole bottle no matter how much a love the scent. I was wondering if there were any tricks to getting more staying power out of a perfume or if there were any similar scents to The Dormouse that had more stay.

Anyone get tea from Unveiled...cause on me...it's kind of meh. :huh?: Esp. now that I have had it for a year.

Anyone get tea from Unveiled...cause on me...it's kind of meh. :huh?: Esp. now that I have had it for a year.

thats so sad, because your glowing review was why I bought a bottle! Ill have to give mine a good sniff-n-test and see how its doing

thats so sad, because your glowing review was why I bought a bottle! Ill have to give mine a good sniff-n-test and see how its doing

I wrote this as it is truly sad. I really loved this one. I hope that it is just shark week that is causing this blend to go bland on me. :unsure:

To piggy-back on this topic. I absolutely adore The Dormouse. However, the scent just doesn't last very long on my skin,I almost have to bathe in for it to have staying power. To really notice it you practically have to press your nose against the skin and since my life does not include a whole lot of people sniffing my skin I don't feel I can justify a whole bottle no matter how much a love the scent. I was wondering if there were any tricks to getting more staying power out of a perfume or if there were any similar scents to The Dormouse that had more stay.

I find that putting some BPAL on two fingertips (preferably index & thumb) then putting the BPAL in thin strands of my hair works best for both keeping the scent from reacting with my PH and allowing faint scents to stay stronger, longer.

A beautiful scent locket from the Post works great too :D

I am fairly obsessed with earl grey tea and I just adore the aroma -- are there are BPAL fragrances that could be said to smell like it other than Severin? I see that it includes a leather note, but I'd prefer just straight tea and bergamot or citrus, without the leather. I haven't seen anything in my browsing but I could have easily missed it!

Thank you! :P

I wonder if there are any like Lapsang Souchong, which is a unique tea thats smoked over pinewood. Its got a really strong, distinctive smokey flavor and aroma. The smell alone is half the motivation for buying genuine looseleaf. A few commercial brands now make it, but their processing somehow screws it up, and ends up having a numbing artificial smoke flavor.

But to have an oil like it would be amazingly sexy to me.

I've found that my skin seems to eat up tea notes, so Dorian turns into cake with lemon, White Rabbit is lovely, but no tea after an hour, Baobhan Sith entirely disappeared as soon as it was dry, The Apothecary smelled entirely of herbs, Lilith's Tea Party is lovely and sweet, but no tea, etc. The only scent that seems to hold on to the tea note on me is The Dormouse! I'm happy to have found a tea scent that sticks around. I suspect it's because it's got SO MUCH tea and it's not just one small note of the scent. The peony does start to take over after a bit of wear, but it's certainly my most successful tea scent.