Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

The scent of tea - BPAL's tea note, BPAL blends like your favorite tea

I sometimes wear a mix of Silk Road and Obatala because it smells like the Yogi Sweet Thai Delight tea.

One of my favorite BPAL tea scents is the white tea in Torture Queen. I put it on the other day and realized it's the perfect spring scent.

I drank some tea with a friend tonight that smelled to me of jasmine and to him somewhat of chrysanthemums, and I also tried Skuld tonight - the similarities are startling! There's an underlying smoothness and fruitiness in Skuld that reminds me a lot of that particularly fragrant (and floral) tea.

Huh. I looked up Skuld and it looks like it might be because of the ylang ylang and honey? I might have to try that sometime.

I'm trying to use up my bottle of Alice before it ages, because I love the spike of tea/carnation before the cream calms everything down.

And hmm, Gennrivre. I think it's been on my idling wishlist as I'd gotten tired of mint scents and there was nothing to previously suggest it as being similar to jasmine tea specifically, but that'd also be nice to try.

Weirdest tea scent ever--actually. No. Tea and leather perfume is weird, Severin, but maybe tier two weird? Lady Lilith. It smells like a smush between Embalming Fluid and Mme. Moriarty. That fresh white(green?) tea note, the citrus, the zenness, hovering over the base of red musk and Mme. Moriartyness.

Huh. I looked up Skuld and it looks like it might be because of the ylang ylang and honey? I might have to try that sometime.

I'd imagine those two are the leads (on me) for the similarity. It was really nice. :)

Weirdest tea scent ever--actually. No. Tea and leather perfume is weird, Severin, but maybe tier two weird? Lady Lilith. It smells like a smush between Embalming Fluid and Mme. Moriarty. That fresh white(green?) tea note, the citrus, the zenness, hovering over the base of red musk and Mme. Moriartyness.

Man, the best thing about Lady Lilith is that it works on me. ;) Mme Moriarty doesn't quite, but Lady Lilith has red musk and delicious tea and orange and makes me super happy. I agree that there's a definite similarity to Embalming Fluid, too. I'm really looking forward to wearing it in the summer.

My favorite tea scent is actually Alice. It smells like candy tea, milky and sweetened with honey, but spicy with carnation, with that astringent bergamot at the back of your throat, with a delicate rose petal infusion. The rose is there as a softening, sweet note, and goes well the tea-like bergamot.

I am STILL looking for an amazing, true jasmine tea scent.

Have you tried The East (The scent of the winds beyond the wall: bluebonnet, passion flower, freesia, jasmine tea, mint, thyme, and redcurrant.) It is totally delicious jasmine tea on me. The herbs and flowers blend so neither becomes too overpowering.

/sigh still looking for that delicious black tea scent. I do love White Rabbit but the tea note disappears on me as well and Dorian and I did not get along.

EDIT: Whoops! Thanks Anna!

Edited by mejuxtaposed

Have you tried Fairy Market (The scent of the winds beyond the wall: bluebonnet, passion flower, freesia, jasmine tea, mint, thyme, and redcurrant.) It is totally delicious jasmine tea on me. The herbs and flowers blend so neither becomes too overpowering.

I believe that's the description for The East. Fairy market is Otherworldy golden incense, blooming wind-flowers, everlasting lavender, bluebell, a faint whiff of exotic sugared candies, and fae mist upon wet green grass.

/sigh still looking for that delicious black tea scent. I do love White Rabbit but the tea note disappears on me as well and Dorian and I did not get along.

I'm in the same boat. I love White Rabbit, but it doesn't smell like tea on me, and Dorian was just wretched. I was hopeful that Ichabod Crane would be the answer, but alas, no. And so the search continues...

I'd love to find a tea that lasts on me. So far Maiden is the longest lasting one. I prefer Kumiho and Lady Lilith, but they are gone within an hour.

I've also tried Shanghai, Gennivre, Dorian, White Rabbit, Theodosius, Embalming Fluid and Manhattan. For varying reasons, I didn't like them as much.

Any ideas?

I've been really looking to try the East, but timing never seems to be right for swap/sale'ing for it. Le sigh.

Plunder smells exactly like strong, spicy chai tea on me, it's fantastic. Reminds me so much of the holidays.

I have a friend who is hoping to find a BPAL scent that will sort of mimic the scent of Starbucks Green Tea Latte's -- earthy, grassy, raw, slightly bitter.

I'm not a big fan of green tea scents, so I don't have much in my stash to draw upon. I am planning to give her an imp of Embalming Fluid, but I think with the aloe in it, it might be a little too sweet for her taste.

Can anyone recommend any other non-sweet green tea scents that my friend might enjoy?

Thanks!

Edited by edenssixthday

I don't think Embalming Fluid is sweet, and I am very sensitive to sweetness. It has a definite strong green tea note. I haven't had that Starbucks drink, but maybe layering something milky with something green tea would approximate the effect? I'll try that drink and report back!

Other strongly green-tea and not-sweet scents:

Cordelia

Shanghai *** the most green tea-focused scent in BPAL, imo

Fox Fires

Phantasm

Tweedledum

F5

Green Phoenix

Holiday Moon

Jonathan Harker (the white tea is totally green and not white to my nose)

The Spell of Amorous Love (sweet, but not cloying IMO)

I too have a passionate love for green tea and highly recommend checking out the Retail Therapy thread for some possible green tea scents outside of Bpal as well.

I dont find Embalming Fluid to be too sweet at all. Its a crisp and tart tea scent... same thing with Shanghai. If she likes that kind of scent, she may also really like Kumiho, which is white tea but is quite similar to these.

(I haven't tried Starbucks Greet Tea Latte, but it sounds quite delish and I might have to just go get me some tomorrow!) :lol:

Edited by rawgirl75

I agree on the embalming fluid being light and green rather than sweet, and Kumiho is an excellent back up idea.

Thanks for all your input. I'm definitely going to pass Embalming Fluid along to her and check out my imp stash to see if I have any of these others around for her to try, and even if I don't, I can let her know people recommend them.

Also, if you haven't tried the Starbucks Green Tea Latte, I can't recommend it enough. It's full of so much yum!!!

Edited by edenssixthday

Bumpity bump because I'm looking for a delicious creamy black tea scent with mint. Specifically ONLY black tea with mint. Green tea and mint and honey scents are nice and I've looked over them to see which ones I want to try, but they are raly fresh and I'm in he mood for creamy.

What I'm really after is something that smells like milk and STRONG black tea with honey drizzled and swirled into the mixture and a spring of mint on the side adding to the sweetness and freshness, while it still being a pretty creamy tea blend.

No nuts or spices really, please.

Any thoughts?

Does anyone have suggestions for non-floral tea scents? Especially black tea, but I'm open to other possibilities. I'm wearing The Apothecary today and it just really struck my mood right -- clear and fresh with some depth. I think the ginger/fig is keeping it grounded, but it's mainly tea and dry herbs to my nose. What else might have a similar experience? It seems like most of the tea scents are either super-spicy or paired with florals, but I'm sure I've missed a few.

Tacey, have you tried White Rabbit? The notes are black tea, milk, white pepper, ginger, honey, vanilla, and linen - I find it to be a sweet and spicy tea scent. I don't get a lot of milk or linen from it, I think they may just lend some balance as least as far as my chemistry works.

Tweedledum is crisp and green in an Apothecary kind of way - green mango, fig, patchouli and green tea.

Although Gennivre, L'Artiste du Diable does have orange blossom, I didn't get a bit of it - the other elements really outweighed any floral quality. The notes are Hyson tea leaf, pale mint, sugar cane, orange blossom, lemongrass, and honey.

The same thing happened for me with the carnation in Clemence (I happen to love carnation, but I know you don't want to smell like a flower ;) ) It just smells like a super-spicy heavy black tea on me - I think the spices in it just stomp the carnation to oblivion, or maybe some of the spice I smell in there is a little bit of spicy carnation, but there is definitely no floral vibe for me. The notes are patchouli, Kashmiri tea, cardamom, black pepper, carnation, and clove. This is a blend that gets better and better with age, too.

Nostrum Remedium is to me the best black tea blend. Plain tea, no honey, nor citrus.

Edited by mand

Tacey, have you tried White Rabbit? The notes are black tea, milk, white pepper, ginger, honey, vanilla, and linen - I find it to be a sweet and spicy tea scent. I don't get a lot of milk or linen from it, I think they may just lend some balance as least as far as my chemistry works.

Tweedledum is crisp and green in an Apothecary kind of way - green mango, fig, patchouli and green tea.

Although Gennivre, L'Artiste du Diable does have orange blossom, I didn't get a bit of it - the other elements really outweighed any floral quality. The notes are Hyson tea leaf, pale mint, sugar cane, orange blossom, lemongrass, and honey.

The same thing happened for me with the carnation in Clemence (I happen to love carnation, but I know you don't want to smell like a flower ;) ) It just smells like a super-spicy heavy black tea on me - I think the spices in it just stomp the carnation to oblivion, or maybe some of the spice I smell in there is a little bit of spicy carnation, but there is definitely no floral vibe for me. The notes are patchouli, Kashmiri tea, cardamom, black pepper, carnation, and clove. This is a blend that gets better and better with age, too.

I think the milk keeps scaring me off White Rabbit. If I ignore that word, the rest of the notes look beautiful. Adding this to my list of imps to try. :) I may have only tried Tweedledee and skipped Tweedledum -- not sure how I missed this. I LOVE fig!

I'll have to check reviews on Gennivre -- I had it in my head that she was heavy on the honey and mint, but if it's more tea-heavy, could be worth the risk. Interesting one!

I don't hate florals at all, really -- I'm just trying to explore tea on its own, I guess. And Clemence sounds gorgeous! I don't recognize it all! Another for my list. :D

Nostrum Remedium is to me the best black tea blend. Plain tea, no honey, nor citrus.

And another blend I feel like I've never heard of -- thanks so much! Off to reviews. My next order will have some exploring to do... :) [ETA - Ah ha! From the Pharmacopia! I've never paid much attention to that category. I'm glad you did, though!]

Edited by tacey

Both Gennivre and Clemence are in Carnaval Diabolique - I usually won't recommend un-impable stuff to people who are brand new to the forum &/or the Lab, but I figured you have been around the block a couple times ;) I happen to amp mint like no ones' business, so I didn't get the tea and honey I wanted from Gennivre, but others have. Mint will really dominate almost anything on me!

And on the flip side, I can rarely smell milk or cream notes on my skin, they tend to just smooth out a blend for me. It's like they add a creamy quality without actually adding the smell of cream, if that makes sense. Those who really hate the milk &/or linen notes have mentioned them in some of the White Rabbit reviews - so it may really be one of those blends that can be so different from person to person that it's hard to predict until you try it.

I like the floral-y tea blends too, but sometimes you just want that tea note to dominate.

I forgot to mention Kumiho - it's white tea, so it's not as strong a tea note, but it's just that & ginger. So it's very crisp and clean.

I recognized both ladies after looking them up again -- I think I've just never been looking for a tea scent, so while they've caught my eye, I tend to say 'But that's not my kind of thing' and pass on. Clearly, I shop on impulse at BPAL!

I'm certainly not afraid of un-impables, so I'm glad you didn't censor yourself. I think Clemence, at the least, is worth risking...