Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Oneiroi

Created to invoke the ancient Greek deities of dreams. On the shores of the ocean, somewhere in the West, they dwell behind their gates of horn and ivory. Soporific, dark, and unfathomable: a somnambular blend of deep lavender, white sandalwood, jasmine, bergamot and mugwort.

In the vial, its very sharp... must be the lavender & the bergamot.
On my skin, I mostly get sharp lavender and soft jasmine.
It seems to stay on my skin longer than the other sleep blends I've tried.
Eh, but I think the bergamot in this might be killin' it for me. It's just too strong for me.[/font]

Oneiroi comes to me by way of frimp..thank you Labbies!!! :D

Not on my list of original oils to try, but the idea of lavender and sandalwood sound nice. Jasmine and I are a bit tempermental with eachother..I find that in certain blends I love her to death and in others..well..it can get loud. Let's see how this one works for me.

Initial sniff from imp:Soapy lavender...it's a bit sharp...but it's not offensive to my nose. Almost sharply clean smelling....I get a tinge of floral..but it is the lavender that I register immediately.

Applied wet on skin:Hmmm...it's the slap of the lavender..but fast behind is the jasmine approaching..and I think on the tail end I am getting the sandalwood??? Am not sure if the sandalwood is working right now on me..but I will wait it out and see how the notes play.

Couple of minutes on skin:Lavender and jasmine are playing very nice on me now and that sharp note I think was the bergamot..it's softened..and I get a bit of an herbal note...the jasmine has sweetened and actually this all just very calming and soothing. Wow. :D

Drying on skin:It's sweetened jasmine with lavender echoing in and out. I don't really register the sandalwood/mugwort..but then again maybe the mugwort helps sweeten the jasmine??? This really is a very soothing scent on me. I am pleasantly surprised.

Throw is soft to medium

Have to get back to the lasting power-it wafts nicely though. Lasting power clocked in at 3 hours.

Bottom Line:Oneiroi surprisingly worked well. I really am enjoying the lavender/jasmine combo and I suspect this might work wonders for me during the week when I am so stressed from work I find myself staring straight up at my ceiling with my mind racing. I will wear this to bed and maybe try it in an oil burner. This imp will not go to waste. Well done Beth...and thank you. :P

Edited by metaldog32

straight sniff from imp is loaded with lavender and a whisper of jasmine...

once applied i find this blend very well rounded and peaceful...as an aclaimed

insomniac, i have a sneaking suspicion this will work wonders for me and

will be sure to apply some before bedtime tonight...a restful slumber i am sure to have :P :D

I think I can pick out a hint of the bergamot and perhaps even the white sandalwood...but truth be told this is very heavy on the jasmine, which means it turns to funk on me. Sadness.

Oneiroi is pretty much just lavender on me, which means that it is a very prim and proper, old-fashioned sort of perfume, because that's what I associate with lavender. Be interesting to see if there's a lavender-heavy blend that doesn't bring those things to mind.

It's certainly not unpleasant, though, although it's not the brightest, or the sexiest, or the most mysterious, it's nice to wear for the daytime, at least.

I'm about to sleep in it. I have to admit, some of the reviews here have made me a little nervous to try this, but other reviewers have said that it helps them sleep, so maybe it'll work for me. :P

It's such a pretty blend, spicy lavender with a subtle greeness that soothes and relaxes me. I accidently spilt some upon our nightstand too and it smells great upon furniture too! Unfortunately I had no changes when I wore it with my dreaming or rem sleeps so I will passing my imp along to a better home.

This is indeed a peaceful, calm-inducing blend. I can see why Beth thought it appropriate to be one of the dream collection. I haven't yet worn Oneiroi to bed, but I did put it on earlier this afternoon when I was feeling really anxious and worrisome, hoping that it would help me, and it did that very well. I could certainly see how smelling this in my sleep might help to induce a more restful, soothing sleep experience.

Oneiroi is strong enough to definitely be able to smell it, but it does not scream or shout, which is a balance fragrances must achieve in order for me to truly be able to fall in love with them. It's also clean, soft, and feminine, so it's incredibly wearable for someone like me. Although I do often wear perfume to bed, I think I will be reaching for this one most often when I wish to feel soothed and peaceful in general. It does the trick wonderfully.

780833674_u39Pp-Ti.jpg

For my first order from BPAL, I did a search for blends with lavender notes, and this was one of my picks...luckily for me! On first sniff, I immediately thought of my all-time favorite author, Jane Austen. It starts rather primly, but surprises one with the lustiness of its staying power.

I bought a 5ml bottle from a forum seller, and will order more from the lab. This is a scent I want with me for a long time to come. :P

Edited to add:

When I buy a large bottle of something, I like to make a 'touch-up' roll-on bottle to carry with me, or if I used it at night, to keep at my bedside. Surprisingly, this is the one oil I've found so far that does NOT mix well with Neutrogena's Unscented Body Oil. It has a very odd back smell that I don't get straight from the bottle or the imp, and that can only be from the body oil. :D

I'm going to try another oil with it, but maybe I should just use a reducer with the oil and no carrier at all. I still love this scent, especially at night for sleeping.

Edited by stellans

In vial: Lavender and jasmine. Very relaxing.

Wet: Bergamot coming out a little more, and something earthy. The mugwort? Lots of lavender.

Drydown: Lavender without soapiness. This is good! There's a touch of wood to this; it's relaxing and nice.

This is definately not one I would've bought myself, but I am soooo glad I got a chance to try. It is BEAUTIFUL!

I get mostly jasmine and lavender, but they are very well balanced. Not too sweet (luckily, because very sweet scents give me headaches). It's femine, without being too girly, and it's relaxing as well. I really like it and I really didn't expect to.

I want to get a bottle!

This scent screams LAVENDER! It's very soothing, even though I wore it during the day instead of before bed. I think it would make a nice room fragrance or linen scent, but I can't see myself wearing it as a perfume. Lavender isn't really my thing, and it smelled a little sour on me when I first applied it. If you know that your body chemistry reacts well with lavender and sandalwood, I would suggest finding an imp of this. It's a very mellow and laid-back scent.

This is extremely high-pitched in the imp. It's a very strong lavender scent. However, once you put it on, it settles down considerably, and the sandalwood and mugwort give it a nice grounding that I haven't seen in the two other Somnium blends that I've tried (Baku and Somnus). (I seem to like lavender with earthy, dirty notes--I adore Mercury.) I haven't tried sleeping with this on yet, as I just wanted to see if I could take the smell, but I'll revise this review once I do.

In the imp, it was lavender and sandalwood, which seemed promising.

Unfortunately, the minute it hit my skin, it developed a note of stale urine. Yucko. I lasted through the drydown, and then it was stale urine with an undertone that was vaguely skunky. This is the first one I've really had gross me out. Definitely going to find a new owner for this imp.

Naturally, as a sleep blend, this has a lot of lavender! I love the massive spike of jasmine in it. There is another herb-like presence in this but I’m not sure exactly what it is. Despite being lavender-heavy, I find this a lot more pleasant that I expected as a fragrance, however, for its therapeutic properties, I must commend it highly – each occasion I’ve used this when riddled with insomnia, it’s totally knocked me out and induced a highly peaceful, uninterrupted sleep. I would buy a bottle of this based on its aromatherapeutic properties – though it making me smell wonderful in bed is totally a fab bonus!

this was a frimp from the lab, and i was so happy to discover that it is a somnium blend. i've come to rely on tko, and what i have left of sleepy moon, so i'm happy to try one from this category. i love the lab's lavender blends - this one starts out strongly of lavender, and other herbs - probably the mugwort. it's a little bitter, in a good way. soon enough though, the jasmine creeps in. i happen to like the lab's jasmine blends as well, so this is all good. jasmine also really helps me sleep. the sandalwood adds a touch of incense, but only a touch. i think i'm definitely going to enjoy this one, and i'll test it out tonight to see what dreams it gives me.

Wet: Lavender and jasmine.

First on: I smell a bit of sandalwood and bergamot, and I couldn't tell you what mugwort smells like enough to identify it.

Dry: Same as first on, and frankly I fell asleep so quickly I'm not sure I would have noticed a morph. Great sleep blend.

In the bottle, this did not smell good at all. It was the first bottle I sniffed when my order arrived yesterday -- even over my much-anticipated bottle of 13. I'm not sure what that odor was, but it was pungent. Anyway, I shoved it back in the box and took off for an appointment. When I got home last night I sniffed it again. It was still strong and herbal, but perhaps it needed to settle? Anyway, I decided to give it a try at bedtime. I have not been sleeping very much lately, and the sleep I have been able to manage has been fitful.

The oil turned into something very pretty once I had it on. It was still herbal (even more than most lavender scents are on me), but it was also lightly floral. I could not detect even a little of the sandalwood, which is strange as it is a note that my skin usually emphasizes. As long as the scent was tolerable, I was determined to use it for the sleep benefits that it offered. The fact that it is pleasant on my skin is an unanticipated bonus.

I have to admit, I was skeptical about how this would work. I have had mixed results with Somnus and TKO, so I wasn't going to hold my breath on Oneiroi.

I slept ten hours. :P

I don't know if it was the placebo effect. It is entirely possible that it was just my body having enough and giving up, but it was good, deep sleep that I really needed. I do remember more about my dreams than I normally do. I'm planning on trying this again in a few days, and will update my review if I notice any differences. Overall, though, I am glad that I bought a bottle of this, and am going to cross my fingers that it continues to work as well as it did the first time. :D

I wore Oneiroi just before bed the other night and it really struck me as being very dreamlike... strong, dark, enveloping and familiar, yet just out of reach.

In the bottle and on my wrists, it was strong lavender with a touch of bergamot and jasmine. I usually abhor jasmine, but in this oil it's just lovely.

In the morning, it had faded to almost nothing. Sweet, faint and far away, like the fading memory of a dream.

I :P the Somnium blends.

I tried Somnus recently, and then got an imp of Oneiroi. I haven't had a single sleepless night since I've been using them.

Scentwise, I prefer Oneiroi over Somnus. Somnus is slightly sharp when first applied, where Oneiroi is a much gentler scent. Oneiroi is mostly lavender, but a deep lavender, with a hint of sandalwood spice. The jasmine in this is present, but not overpowering. Its very lovely blend, and most importantly, it works.

I still have other Somnium blends to try before deciding on a bottle, but Oneiroi is definitely in the running.

In the bottle: At first it's slightly bitter and woody, but sniffing further there's a strong scent of flowers, which at first sniff smelt like ylang ylang but must be the jasmine.

On the wrist: At first it's sharp and a little bitter. I can smell the jasmine lurking behind the bitterness, making it richer and a little sweeter. As it develops the jasmine starts to really come through, and I can catch whiffs of it as I turn my head. It's turning a much lighter scent than it was in the bottle, strongly jasmine, with everything else lurking somewhere in the background.

One hour later: Pure Jasmine. I can't smell anything else anymore, except for a faint muskiness on my right wrist. Which, while I like jasmine, is really a bit of a shame.

Oneiroi is like a bottomless pit of lavender that sucks you down into a deep, restful sleep. I sleep so well every time I use it. I haven't had as much luck with Somnus, but that's okay, because Mr. Oneiroi is a total winner.

At first it was all about the lavendar, followed by bergamot and a hit of sandlewood. I haven't a clue what mugwort smells like, and I didn't smell the jasmine though I wish I had as it's a favorite.

Very nice, but I don't think it did a lot for my sleep.

I love Oneiroi. It's strange-- I don't actually like the scent very much... but it gives me the most wonderfully restful sleep. I wake up feeling calm and refreshed, and bad dreams go from disturbing to merely interesting when I wear this to bed. This scent came to me as a frimp from the Lab, and I'm very likely to buy a bottle. It's fantastic.

On me this is quite an unassuming lavender blend, but at least it works for me. I like how it goes slightly herbal after a while, but I don't get any jasmine. Just lavender and herbs. I actually quite like it.

In the imp:

All lavender, all the time. While I didn't get how people were smelling strog lavender with Somnus, I totally get it with this one.

Wet:

Lavender, anchored by something else that makes it a little less... lavender-y. What I mean is that it clearly smells like lavender but there is something else that takes the sharp edge off. I rather liked the scent of this for the 5 minutes or so I was awake.

I tried Somnus for two nights, and while it definitely made drifting off more enjoyable, I didn't feel that it put me to sleep. Oneroi, on the other hand, knocked me the F#@$ out. I wasn't even sleepy when I put it on, and I was out like a light in maybe 5 minutes. As a result, I cannot tell you what it smelled like dry (and I'm not sure when I'll be able to). I think this blend is supposed to invoke dreams, but for me it just made me sleep like a rock (no complaints here, because I have enough dreams already).