Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Oneiroi

Created to invoke the ancient Greek deities of dreams. On the shores of the ocean, somewhere in the West, they dwell behind their gates of horn and ivory. Soporific, dark and unfathomable: a somnambular blend of deep lavender, white sandalwood, jasmine, bergamot and mugwort.

Inital Thoughts:
If Neil Gaiman's Sandman had a scent this would be it. I smell it and it invokes the colour midnight blue and silver. Sort of like Lush's Lavender Snowflower ballistic but not. The sandalwood and mugwort really stands out in my mind. It's a scent one would like to cuddle up I think. I can't way to test it out.

After Wearing it:
Have you guys ever smelled Johnson & Johnson's Lavender Baby Powder? Oneiroi smells exactly like that. It's very elusive as well...I smell Lavender as the prominent note but there's other layers that I can't quite get...mugwort is definitely strong. This scemt is very subtle and understated orginally I didn't think it was going to last but I would turn my head and get the faintest wiff of it. Like a memory....it's a very nice scent.

I love this scent. My first thought was that it smelled like a memory, too. My only complaint is that it's a bit subtle, so if you want something strong this isn't it. You'll think it's gone, then turn your head, and get a noseful of it...nice.

This wasnt subtle on me, but it is definatey something that reminds me of something. Maybe its the geranium in it that reminds me of these sugar biscotti cookies my auntie makes. Don't get me wrong, this is not a food smell. Gorgeous, this is one of the few at the top of my list. I had a restful sleep the night I wore this and good dreams!

this is the first perfume i've worn where my first reaction shortly after putting it on and smelling my wrist was to go wake up andy and have hott phone sex (hey, it's not my fault it's midnight and he's 200 mi away!)

anyways, i like the smell, but i had a really strange and unpleasant dream that was basically 1984 meets the patriot act meets us law and involved being prosecuted for violating the laws against peaceful protest (we had a permit, no less) and lots of other things..

it was probably the most detailed dream that i have woken up remembering besides the one that i had when i was about 20 months old (from what my mom said, because i also remember running into my parents' new bed after this, and that's how old i was when they got the bed in question) and i dreamt that i was an explorer in the amazon and a tribe had found me and invited me for dinner - with dinner being me - and i was alive when they put me in a pot of warmish water and could feel my muscles tightening up and my skin melting as the water got hotter and hotter and i was still alive when they deemed me ready to eat, so i was partially drug out of the pot and eaten slowly, feeling each bite oh so painfully, but being too sleepy and too pained to move. and for the record, my parents didn't even own a tv at this point in my life, and my mom was working from the house with my dad while going to school for her third [and now longest] career, so there's no possibility that i had watched something like this on tv... and the only books i had read to me were of the dr suess variety and fairy tales...

I wanted to love this, because I have been searching for a good dreaming oil. It started out sweetly herbal, but after a few minutes it turned a bit skunky...I have a body chemistry that makes choosing perfumes very hit or miss. Thank heavens for imp's ears.

Edited by eleventhousand

I wanted to like this too. It started ou with a white, floral lavender, and as it developed the green herb smells came out a bit more.

However, as I was wearing it, my boyfriend complained of me smelling like "the toilet air freshener my granny always used" and refused to touch me. :P

So that's the memory now attached to Oneiroi for me. One to wear when the boyfriend is not around, I guess.

ETA: scent likes and dislikes seem to change after a few wears, right? I can safely say I dislike this one. The fresheness of the lavender is less and les apparant, and it becomes a total flower-fest. And that is *sigh* not my kinda thing.

Edited by Tesseljoan

I thought I liked lavender ... apparently I like it better when it's not on me. This smelled like light lavender at first, then I started to smell jasmine. Lots of it. While jasmine smells delicious coming from a teapot, it smells absolutely awful on me. I should stick to warmer smells from now on - I don't care for light & ethereal at all.

At least I didn't have to wrinkle my nose at it for long - it faded remarkably quickly.

Perhaps I can use it for a room scent.

I don't get the lavender from this one at all. I just get *really* strong jasmine notes and a hint of the geranium. That being said, on me this is a light, sweet, clean scent. It doesn't seem to have any staying power for me, though. I really enjoy this one, and I think it is perfect for a beautiful spring day.

First sniff: Oneiroi is rich and enveloping, not quite warm but not quite cool. This is what I imagine lavender tea would smell like.

Wearing: Gorgeously lavendery and strong enough to wrap me up in a blanket of scent. It’s reminiscent of Badger Balm’s sleep balm, but stronger and less green. I’m not entirely sure of its effect on my dreams, but then, I did dream that I was dating Frasier Crane, so…

Definitely wearing this one again, but maybe only to bed, because I slept like a rock and I'm not sure I can wear something this soporific during the day.

Someone recommended this as an oil for helping me sleep. I have to say that it really does work.

It smells very lavendery without being flowery but I'm not sure what it dries down to because I'm usually asleep within 15 minutes of putting it on. There is a slight herbal scent but it is mostly lavender to me. Between Oneroi and Lush's therapy bar, I've been sleeping and dreaming for a couple of weeks now.

I definitely want to get a bottle of this and make a spritzer to spritz my bed with before I go to sleep at night.

I dabbed Oneiroi on when I went to bed last night. I wasn't really expecting anything special, so I was very impressed on how well it worked dream-wise.

I had a night of vivid dreams which I actually recalled in the morning!

This is a big thing for me, as at this point in my life I don't dream much. I don't know why that is, stress maybe. It feels odd, since I used to dream a lot.

This was such a help, that I would consider buying a big bottle just because it works so beautifully and helps me dream. I didn't care for the scent all that much, it wasn't bad, just not me. I smelled the Jasmine and Lavender mostly. Couldn't pick out the Mugwort, but then again I don't really know what it smells like. :P

It's a comforting scent, something I had no trouble falling asleep to, but I think it's not of the perfume variety for me. I might change my mind though once I wear it again! That's known to happen with BPAL scents, due to their complexity and the changes in skin chemistry/state of mind.

I'm looking forward to trying this on again!

-Milk

ETA: Tried Oneiroi again and the same thing happened. I only had a few hours to sleep, and I still managed to see pretty darn detailed dreams. So Oneiroi is most definately a great dreaming-oil!

Edited by MilkAndSugar

First Impression: Very potent lavender drowing out all the other notes.

Second Impression: The lavender is still very agressive but the jasmine is making its presence known the longer it dries.

Final Analysis: Pleasant but after a little while only the whisper of jasmine remains on my skin. A very soft smell after the lavender does a disappearing act.

I get a powdery scent from Oneiroi, at first it was like other people mentioned the lavender smell was the most prominent, after a while it settled down and the jasmine came through.

A lovely scent and quite relaxing. Bath bombs made of this scent would be awesome.

I love this perfume. Not to wear out in public, but it puts me to sleep within a half hour of putting it on. It’s been a life saver for those nights I’m just too wound up/hyper to sleep. I put a few dabs on my lavender pillow, and now it work better than before! It causes some pretty odd dreams (that I actually remember, which rarely happened before).

On my skin, it smells mostly of lavender when it's wet. However, I couldn't tell you what it smells like after more than a half hour, because I'm asleep.

Add me to the legion of fans who have no idea how Oneroi smells on the drydown. :P I don't dream much, though; just sleep deeply and well. The only thing I have to add is that on me it smells like lavender root beer. Which, believe it or not, is a good thing...I recently received a gift of 3 kinds of incense in a wooden box--lavender, cinnamon, and Nag Champa--and I haven't had the heart to take them out and burn them because they smell absolutely heavenly together in the box, like some kind of crazy spicy exotic root beer. Oneroi is like the milder, softer, gentler version of that. :D

Oh. I've been waiting for this one to arrive at my home. I use Lavendar and Jasmine to help me sleep and this should be even better with Beth's expertise.

In the vial, it smells basically like lavendar with a hint of jasmine.

On the wrist, wet, the Jasmine comes out more with the other notes grounding it. The lavendar comes out sometimes in all its strong personality on only some sniffs.

On the wrist, dry, it smells like something entirely different. Hard to describe. It reminds me of the way the air clears after a fierce thunderstorm.

It makes me feel like curling up with a good book and not coming back out.

Love It!!!

This is exactly what I wanted/needed!

Boots

Wow...if anyone's looking for a comforting scent, this is the one! My mum is a big fan of lavender, and this is a cuddle from my mum who's wearing a particularly chunky and soft jumper that she knitted.

Like Boots, the lavender comes out for me strongly sometimes, at other times the jasmine, when it turns more dark and dreamy - the same cuddle but at dusk, when the colours are fading and blending.

Beth, this is beautiful. Thank you.

Beautiful, soft and rich ... I've only worn it once so far, and that was just before I went to sleep. If I'd read these reviews before, I'd forgotten about them - I just like to put things on before I go to bed and see what they smell like when I wake up in the morning.

There's a guy I've known for four years who pops up every once in awhile, and I'm always happy to see him - and I often dream about him just before he gets in touch - but never this vividly. I dreamed that I was asleep, and in my dream, I woke up, and raised my head, and he was lying in a bed across the room from me on his side, staring straight into my eyes. So when I looked up, I was looking straight into his eyes. It felt so incredibly real that THAT actually did wake me up. It felt like I actually met him in the astral. He called me the next day.

Oneiroi, besides being lovely to wear, seems to build a stronger bridge to dreamland, somehow.

Wow. I'm totally taken with this one. I'll second the "if Gaiman's Dream from Sandman had a smell it would be this." It's perfect.

In the vial: lavendar and sandlewood, drowning out everything else.

On the skin: This one doesn't even have a "wet" stage on me. It dries right up to where it stays. The sandalwood becomes fainter, and the jasmine comes out. It even smells like night-blooming jasmine instead of "regular" jasmine and that makes a difference in the scent to me.

It has also been a very potent dream oil for me. It helps me fall asleep remarkably quickly, no small feat considering I've had chronic insomnia for years. And my case, it's given me a LACK of dreams, a true blessing seeing as most of the reason I never feel rested is because I have horrible, horrible nightmares. Wearing this oil to bed, and a little across my pillow, lets me sleep deep and dreamless enough to actually get some rest.

I LOVE this, and a large bottle is DEFINATELY going to be part of my next order. The imp's alrready showing signs of being well-loved.

In the bottle...WOW! Sandalwood! Its really acidic too, makes my nose wrinkle up. I sniffed it again to make certain that it wasn't a fluke, but its still there. This time I detect a little bit of floral behind it. The sandalwood is still overwhelmingly powerful though.

On me: Now I can smell the lavendar! The sandalwood smell is nearly completely gone, and now its just the glow of lavendar! There may be another floral mixed in, since as my nose leaves my wrist there is a sweeter note there that I can't detect otherwise, but the lavendar is what comes through the most! Its such a lovely scent, but it is VERY powerful. Overwhelmingly so. In fact, my husband walked into the room and walked right back out because he said that it was too powerful. I'm hoping that it dies down a little bit more for him.

As for any powerful emotions of memories, it just reminds me of the flower shop when we were putting together a woman's bridal boquet. Nothing too memorable, nor does this really invoke dreams. The scent is too powerful for me to think about putting it on my pillow or anything.

Overall, I like it a lot. My hubby doesn't though, so I'm hoping that the scent changes soon.

I got this courtesy of Lady Ravenglass. Thank you!

in the vial the lavender dominates, creating an almost medicinal note, like tea tree. once applied though, the lavender fades in seconds. A strong sweetness comes through, and boy, does it waft! I can smell it very clearly, and my wrist is a foot and a half away. The jasmine dominates, while there's a certain sweet note in the backround that smells familar... oh yeah, that's the note I recognize from Deimos - Bergamot. An hour or two later, the jasmine softens, but the bergamot keeps it sweet.... it's a sort-of-floral sweetness, the lavender comes peeking out again very demurely. as I'm writing thisreview, 4 and a half hours after application, it is reminiscent of baby powder. it's faded, softened, and doesn't waft anymore, but it's very present on my skin.

I love this blend, even though it's very strongat first, it smells very comfortable to me, I'll be wearing it regularly.

Good job, Beth! :P

Edited by reina

The lavender in this scent (and other notes) make this a very hot, like the muggy heat of a steam room (or better yet, Houston hehe) scent. Several minutes after application, the floral comes out, making this a hothouse floral, remniscent of Old Paris. Egads, I don't like it. However, the muggy heat fades after an hour, leaving a nice floral. The now quiet mugginess makes the jasmine less potent. This is a hazy yellow scent to me. As for its somnambular properties, it didn't help me fall asleep, but I did have very detailed dreams and was able to remember them a day later.

I'm not the best at writing reviews, so this'll be short and sweet.

I have twenty-four BPAL samples. A mere two immediately jumped out at me and said "BUY ME NOW!". One of them was Oneiroi. When I wear it, it smells like it was made just for me. Two hearty thumbs up for this dreamy, lovely scent!