Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Oneiroi

Created to invoke the ancient Greek deities of dreams. On the shores of the ocean, somewhere in the West, they dwell behind their gates of horn and ivory. Soporific, dark, and unfathomable: a somnambular blend of deep lavender, white sandalwood, jasmine, bergamot and mugwort.

This should come with one of those Ambien/Lunesta-like warnings ("do not take unless you have 7 to 8 hours to dedicate to sleeping") because both times I tried Oneiroi it knocked me out.
Both nights I had been trying to go to bed at a more normal hour (10 or 11 pm-ish) but my mind had been a little too restless and active to really get to sleep (which is probably the until-now-undiscovered reason why I go to bed so late), so I applied it to my chakra points and around my temples and neck (so I could smell it too).
It's always my habit to take some deep breaths when trying to fall asleep and count each time I exhale, and I'm not entirely sure of how effective this blend is at making one fall asleep (I did calm down immensely but there's always the placebo thing...); the most noticeable effect for me was the staying-asleep part.
I overslept like no one's business. I couldn't remember turning off my alarm clock, and couldn't remember when my mom came up to literally drag me out of bed and make sure I was standing up and walking around... she came back to my room thirty minutes later to find me passed out on the bed again, and she told me she was positive I was awake. :D
It almost makes me a little wary of using this :P
As for the smell, it's lavender and a floral note that makes me rather sick (others say jasmine?), but thankfully it's all about the function (and boy is it effective). It was a sample with my first ever purchase and I thought it was meant to be a perfume :D
The smell is off-putting enough that I don't really want a bottle, but I'm glad I have a sample of this, and it makes me curious to try out Temple of Dreams (I totally miss having bizarre dreams... or even nightmares). Effective stuff!

I got a free imp of this via a Forum purchase; I'll definitely be getting a bottle of it with my next order!

Scent-wise, I get no lavender from this...it's all jasmine and bergamot with a tiny, but not unpleasant, "sourness" from the mugwort. (Mugwort smells similar to wormwood). It reminds me very much of the unreleased blend, Vieux Carre, which I've been hoarding my imp of. Now I have something that I like just as much, but it's actually available for purchase :lol:

As for its sleep/dream inducing properties, I have to say that as a life-long insomniac it doesn't help me fall asleep or stay asleep, but it is quite pleasant *finally* falling asleep to this scent.

Tried this at night about ten minutes before bed.

In the imp: Lavender with a tang in the background (the bergamot?)

Wet on skin: Was starting to get the jasmine and the bergamot became a little more obvious. It was reminding of me of something ... I don't know.

Dry: Soothing floral and citrus, though I didn't enjoy it long, as I was out like a light before I knew it.

Very subtle on me--which seems a good quality in a sleep scent--not for daily wear.

Effect on sleep/dreams? Here's a mixed bag; because, while I wouldn't call the sleep I had "restful," I do feel well-rested. I'll try to explain better:

Well, as noted above, it definitely has the ability to knock me out (who needs NyQuil when they have this?). On the other hand, dreaming was very, very lucid. This gave me the kind of dreams that you suddenly realise (in the dream) that you are dreaming--but, until that moment, felt you were awake. A little unsettling, but also entertaining. I was asleep for a little more than nine hours, and when I woke up, I physically felt like I really had been doing everything that had happened in the dreams--minus exhaustion, if that could possibly make any sense ...

What a ramble! Long story short, I think I need a bottle of this one. :wub2:

Edited by MasquedRabbit

I put this on before going to bed. I literally put a swipe of the wand at the base of my neck and a swipe of the wand on my wrist,

In the imp: LAVENDER and jasmine. Really heavy. I love lavender, but this makes me think the heavy scent will prevent me from sleeping.

Wet: JASMINE and lavender. I don't like jasmine oil. Really heavy and smells almost like resin. Now I really don't think I'll sleep.

Dry: Heavy, heavy, almost bothering me. But it's fading quickly and becoming gentle and light.

b]Then next morning:[/b] Don't think it helped me sleep because it took me forever to fall asleep. And I don't remember any dreams. Maybe I should put more on next time. I dunno because it was bothering me already.

Overall: Very heavy, but faded quickly. Maybe I'll use more tonight, instead of just a swipe. Definitely not for daytime wear. I'll use my imp for sleeping purposes, but if it doesn't work again tonight, I'll sell it. Oh, and I gave a swipe to my boyfriend, again at the neck and wrists, and the next morning he said the same thing. Took him forever to fall asleep and he didn't remember any of his dreams. I'll give him some more tonight too.

Imp: Lavender and Jasmine hand in hand

Wet: Exactly the same as in the imp. While the lavender is dominant, the jasmine is right there behind, giving it a kind of candy-softness

Drydown and Sleep: I don't normally have trouble getting to sleep, but on nights when I'm very anxious (which has been increasingly common) this is a good trick for making me go to sleep. Once I'm there, I'm usually good for the rest of the night, but can't say I typically remember my dreams.

The drydown is better blended between the two notes, and it's very sweet and creamy on me by the time I get to sleep. This stuff puts me in a REALLY deep sleep. I've never taken sleeping pills, but I understand why they have that "only use if you have a full 8 hours to devote to sleep" caveat. Oneiroi is like that for me.

As for the dreams...well...my dreams have always been a bit odd. I rarely remember them, but when I do they're usually full of very normal situations that just run completely off the rails to either hilarity or nightmare territory. It's probably the deepness of the sleep that makes them much more vivid when I'm having them...for better or worse. A vivid dream is great when it's about playing with a pack of puppies in a sunlit meadow. A vivid dream strongly influenced by the three hours of reading horror novels during the day and peanut butter right before bed (it just messes with me, okay?)...the vividness is less appreciated. Use at your own risk.

ETA: We've had more time together, and Oneiroi still sends me right to sleep. But now that I've been under stress (upcoming exams, poor health) I can tell my chemistry is changing and so is Onei's scent and affect on my sleep. Lately something a bit smokey has been overshadowing the sweet flower. It still smells great and puts me out like a light, but the dreams that come with it have been decidedly surreal. Not nightmares, but just plain weird. When I don't use it, I don't remember my dreams or whether or not they are weird, so I've got to pin the origin on Oneiroi. Guess I'm starting to really get a feel of this blend as a dream oil.

Edited by CynicalPink

I had forgotten this was a Sominum oil and wore it this morning - would have worn it to bed last night if I'd remembered.

I get the floral notes - the jasmine and lavender, especially - but for a while after I put it on, there's also this very dark undertone of fire and smoke. I wish that lasted longer than it does, but eventually it's mostly lavender on me, with a bit of bergamot grounding it. Can't wait to try it at night!

Initially, it really reminds me of straight ylang ylang. I wish the lavender dominated this a bit more -- it sort of hangs out in the background, but the jasmine takes over on my skin, grounded in something earthy and herby...maybe the mugwort? I'll take my TKO, as far as sleepy blends go.

This is a fantastic sleepy-time blend, it knocks me straight out and smells fantastic. I did have all kinds of crazy dreams when I wore it, too. This is pure, fresh lavender fields, calming mugwort...aaaand, some other stuff. LOL. Very herbal and fresh. Maybe not something I'd wear out for a night on the town, but wonderful for slathering on around bedtime!

Obviously reviewing this for scent would be a little bit silly, but I will say that this definitely contains mugwort, a soothing English-style lavender, jasmine, honeysuckle and maybe a little bit of some other florals. There's something almost bitter and smoky underneath it, mysterious and deep, but it's soothing, not threatening. Definitely bergamot as well, this reminds me quite a bit of a softer Pontia (and the smoke doesn't go to barbeque on me.)

This doesn't absolutely knock me out but it does help me feel relaxed, soothed, spaced-out and ready for sleep. As far as crazy dreams, I have crazy dreams all the time (remind me to tell you about the one where I killed Napoleon and then went to live in the trees), but Oneiroi does seem to help me remember them, and I sink deeper into the dreams and don't thrash around so much. It doesn't necessarily give me peaceful rest, but it is definitely beneficial rest, if that makes sense. I like it but I think my imp will be enough.

Wet, this is a bright transparent blue (think perspex as a mental image) lavendar scent, which gives the impression of becoming more opaque as it drys. It becomes cloudier, and powder-ier until it becomes what I think chalcedony would smell like. I'm getting a hint now of the later drydown stage of Follow Me Boy and since my mum loves that, I may try her with this.

I will note that I am aware this is a sleep blend so after I have used it, I'll edit for what happened, and also say that this made me a bit sneezy briefly and has left my tongue somewhat itchy.

ETA: I have used this quite a few times now and can say that I definitely sleep better using it. Thankfully the itchy thing ceased.

Edited by cinnamonmel

I wore this to bed last night and unfortunately, since my skin amps jasmine, this was NOT a relaxing scent. It started out nice, but as time wore on, the jasmine got strong and screamy on my skin. Not nice. It's hard to thing comforting sleepy thoughts when your nose is trying to run off your face.

I also put this on about ten minutes before bed and it's slightly sharp lavender with a creamy tinge in the background. Light purple smell and soothing. I had a deep, completely relaxing sleep I didn't expect after going completely out of character and watching scary stuff before bed (what was I thinking?!?) :lol: Anyway, Oneiroi kept me safe and I instead of scary dreams I had disgruntled dreams of going to a big banquet but never quite finding the right plate and sliverware to eat anything :yum: I may be using this more often on restless nights!

Like many of the Somnium blends, Oneiroi is straightforward and simple. The lavender in this one is very deep and potent and will certainly be the first thing you notice. Following that, there is a heady lavender note and then the sharp crispness of bergamot, which lends a slight citrus edge to this scent (and also a slight sweetness in the drydown). Very heady and deep, lavender and jasmine fans will probably enjoy this!

imp: mostly lavender.

wet: this is a sweeter lavender than usual, though it's probably the other florals that are making this blend sweeter. i get hints of jasmine behind the lavender most often. i think that this would be a good blend to scent my sheets.

dry: this dries back down to a sweet lavender scent. not astringent or medicinal, just soft and sweet.

This scent is more powerful than I gave it credit for at first. I've been having some vivid dreams lately, the kind that you remember trippy scenes long after you've been awake. I hold Oneiroi responsible.

THIS! Oneiroi gives me such bizarre and crazy dreams that I got a 5 ml just for the sheer madness packed within this potent little oil.

Bottle: Jasmine, lavender and a bit of sandalwood.

Wet: This is a really, really potent oil. I don't know if the Somnium blends are more potent than the rest of the GC (excluding the Panaceas) but all my Somnium blends are really, super strong. In the wet phase I get a bit of sharp bergamot along with the jasmine and lavender. The sandalwood is there but a little overpowered.

Dry: Some of the sandalwood peeks out again and the whole thing settles into a very pretty lavender/jasmine with sandalwood. It reminds me a lot of Twilight. It's also very relaxing. It's a great scent for sleeping but it's also nice ot just put on at the end of a rough day and just luxuriate in the calming scent. I bet it would be a great massage oil or pre-bedtime lotion. There's a dark, slightly herbal quality that I can cross-reference from Blue Moon which is probably the mugwort. It's a bit feral but overall it's a pretty, if potent, scent.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: The fact that this smells nice is just a great bonus. The thing that makes this scent so amazing is the wingnut dreams it gives me. Buying slurpies because they come with a free pack of Tarot cards! Super jumping powers that allow me to jump kilometres at a time! Trying to escape a diabolical mansion with my business partner who then turns into Matthew Grey Gubler! My subconscious brain is Oneiroi's playground and it makes for hilarity/insanity.

I truly enjoy the process of this one.

In imp: just like many others, lavender and jasmine. That's all at the moment.

Wet: LOVELY. the lavender and jasmine team up and cast it's spell. I smell elements of ylang ylang? Bergamot comes out. mugwort? hmm..

Drydown: The lavender softens after doing all that hard work of putting you to sleep. The jasmine stays prominent but not overbearing. This is really nice for maintaining a state of serenity. I like using it on my first day back to work after a weekend.

In the bottle: Dark orangey yellow oil. Citrusy incensy lavender.

Wet: Lavender, citrus and frankincense. Mmm. Like Arcana only more potent. Very cool on the skin. Smells cool to the nose as well.

Dry: Lavender, citrus, incense and soft, powdery florals. I'm no longer getting the buzz that some incense blends give me, but it still smells sweet and very cool.

After a few minutes: Herby soft lavender, citrus and incense.

After first hour: Soft, powdery jasmine.

After two and a half hours: Barely there jasmine.

After 5 hours: Gone.

Final verdict: Pleasant, but I think I'm just as happy with straight lavender essential oil for my bedtime needs.

Lavender and sandalwood with spicy bergamot in the background. The lavender is extremely herbal, white sandalwood is dry, dusty and very woodsy and the bergamot is slightly spicy and citrussy. My only complaint is the jasmine. Although it is very subtle, it still hovers around making it's presence known. However this is pungent lavender through and through. I adore it's medicinal properties, and despite teh jasmine, is one of my favorite sleep blends.

In the bottle – Sweet and powdery, like a floral body powder.

Wet – Lavender and baby powder. A little minty. Soft, sweet, and powdery. Cool and refreshing. I already feel sleepy…

Dry – Now it reminds me of a soft lavender and sweet, warm milk.

Overall – Well, it certainly seems to work well (and smells nice to boot). After only wearing it for about 20 minutes I fell asleep (and it wasn’t even that late), and only woke once during the entire night (usually I wake up three or four times a night). I wore it again a second night and third night and slept through the entire night each time! This stuff is strong. I wonder if this is what the poppies in the Wizard of Oz smelled like? Probably.

:eek: Strooooong lavender. I'm not the biggest fan of lavender, but I'm a bit ill, so I wanted to see if this would work to clear my head a bit. And does it ever! All I get is lavender, and a bit of bergamot and florals in the background. This is much, much too lavender-floral for me, but I might keep the imp around for times when my head is in a fog.

ETA: Aaaaand, it has already faded into a vague, powdery floral.

Edited by plainjean

In vial: Weak lavender & even fainter sandalwood.

Wet on skin: Sharpens a bit with jasmine, though not bringing any imagery or memories to surface. Perhaps a little mugwort peeks through, I am not entirely sure.

Dry: Becomes clean and without direction, rather like a blank mind. It doesn't make me feel particularly restive, just empty. I suppose that could be good for sleeping.

Verdict: Oneiroi is not what I had hoped for- I expected it to be warmer and more of a drifting scent. It seemed abrupt and faint, fading very quickly on my skin. Within half an hour I couldn't smell it on my wrist at all.

Wow, anyseka has a good nose. I was thinking lavender and maybe chamomile or lilac, but I happened to see her post above and she nailed it right on the head. Lavender, jasmine, and sandalwood. I'm not of fan of lavender nor jasmine, but I actually like them together here. This is a very soothing blend. I usually like TKO or Yvaine at bedtime, but this one might find a place on my bedside table as well.

Oy vey. These blends always give me the weirdest effing dreams. I can only imagine what this shall bring. I've also been sleeping TERRIBLY lately, so maybe this will help with that. I hope.

In the imp this is lavender/jasmine/bergamot blend, at least to my nose. Pleasant enough.

Yep, same on my skin! Doesn't seem to change much. Very pleasant, as long as you like lavender(which I do). Will report back in the morning with how I slept.

Ok-one note-this faded pretty fast-I didn't put it on that long before I went to bed and it was already very faint. However, I do think it MAY have helped me fall asleep a bit easier. It was the first night in a while I wasn't tossing and turning for an inordinate amount of time. I am going to actually give this another try to see if it holds up a second night. Also, I know I did dream, but not strong enough to remember-which is good, because usually I only remember the really disturbing ones. So I actually got a pretty decent sleep.

I am going to test this again to see if the results were not an anomaly, because if this really does help me rest it may be worth picking up a bottle.

I'm not sure how old this imp is, I have a feeling it's gone through at least 2 sniffers hands before it arrived at my place, so the scent I have may be slightly different than what comes fresh from the Lab.

In the Bottle

At first whiff this is dark, musky...resin maybe? It's akin to the "Old lady perfume" that my Grandmother would wear. Slightly sweet undertones but overall, spice and musk comes through the strongest: I can't rally find the floral here.

Wet on the skin

Still musky, but not as pronounced. It's a little easier to handle now, as the spice seems to be shifting to the forefront, but I'm still not sure if this will be a favorite (sadly)

10-15min on the skin

It's now shifting into a spicy floral scent... the musk is slowly fading even more, but as the musk is fading, so is the scent. Definitely doesn't seem to be very long lasting. Slightly powdery, which is nice.

When asked, my husband's reaction to the scent on my wrist was an immediate "I don't like it", which is ok... but I think this one might grow on me, maybe not as an every day scent, but something when I want to relax a little. It seems the musk was really just the Jasmine in disguise, which I picked up on as the scent mellowed out. I'm still new to the scent finding, but it was slightly reminiscent of the Jasmine tea I would drink at the Chinese restaurant with Grandma: Slightly tangy to the nose, but otherwise smooth. I'm not familiar with Bergamot scents, unless it's in a chai melange, but I don't think I found that or the lavender here (again, I'm new to this... it doesn't mean it's not there, I just couldn't spot it)

It was adorable: I wore this scent to bed and early early this morning I woke up to Bagheera (my cat) gently scratching at my arm. He had stuck his head on my open hand, his nose was buried in my wrist and he held onto my arm with both front paws. I tried to move him off my arm because his claws are sharp, but he refused to be moved, insisting on sniffing my wrist and falling asleep as thus. I patted him for a minute before drifting off again with soft kitty purrs to serenade me. Despite my husbands distaste for Oneiroi, something sat very well with this cat... maybe he found the chamomile that I couldn't?

The next morning

This scent is completely gone- like the sun gently lighting up the horizon, Oneiroi seems to have faded with the night.

I actually slept really soundly with this scent. I think I might have to purchase a full bottle...

Update: After a couple weeks of wearing this a few nights a week, the scent has really grown on me and my Husband likes it more now too, which is even better. As I wore it more I began really picking up on the jasmine and lavender, which seems to sing in harmony and mellow as it dries.

For some reason this scent seems to ward off the Oneiroi... at least, I can't remember any dreams when I wake up the next morning. Maybe they fade into the morning light along with the oil's scent.

Really, really love this perfume. Strong 4.5 stars here.

Edited by Flightless

Someone gave me a bottle of Oneiroi they didn't want, so I have no idea how old the oil is or how that might affect the scent/effect. Mine smells strong and soapy (probably the lavender-jasmine combination), and there's an unpleasant herbal note that I think is the mugwort. All I know is that I've used it for two different weeks where I've had a lot of stress-related insomnia, and this stuff knocks me out. Occasionally I wake up in the middle of the night and put a little more on (I tend to wear oils on the backs of my hands), but that does it.

I also tend to have anxious, vaguely unpleasant dreams instead of full-on nightmares. I either don't remember them when I have Oneiroi on, or they're pleasantly boring.