Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
MissAnthropy

Chuparosa

The Hummingbird of Love, the Rose Sucker. A potent, benevolent, merciful love blend.

I really had high hopes for this one from reading that it smelled mostly of rose and honeysuckle--two scents which usually smell fantastic to my nose by themselves as well as on my skin. Unfortunately, I didn't really get the sweet honeysuckle that I'm used to (all around my neighborhood) nor the rose that I had hoped for...somehow, this smelled very watery and a little murky in a green way..once on my skin, there was a note that reminded me of a bog or marsh... oh well, swaps away

This is a really strange one to wear - it progesses from the dry greenness of rose leaves when first applied (almost like elements of Zombi) to the drydown of warm, passionate yet comforting scent of sweet rose. Even when dry, it has a slight incisive edge there of awareness - this one is no mere soft cushion, but has a depth to it unlike the exhilaration of honeysuckle at night, more like, erm, ninja honeysuckle! Trained and honed, like. :P

It's very sweet on drydown, but there is still a slight whiff of the dryness of geranium, maybe (that smell of slightly musty dry leaves) , which prevents it from being too overpoweringly sweet. It's full-bodied in a similar way to Blood Rose, but with a little more of a herby note there.

It stays for hours this one!

I'm getting a lot of smoke from Chuparosa.

This is like burning a bonfire down to very hot coals, and then raising smoke by dropping green branches of rose and honeysuckle into it.

It's dramatic.

Chuparosa was the soapiest of soapy florals. The God of soapy florals, if you will. I think that there might be lily here, as it always goes that way on me. Super soapy rose.

Did I mention that this smells like dish soap on me? Strong throw too.

:P

This really must have a magical love attracting element to it because I hate rose, I hate lilies, I hate honeysuckle and I :P this stuff. Until it was pointed out to me that tulips have no smell, I thought this smelled like sugared tulips. Now I have no idea what to tell you it smells like, except to say it is just beautiful on me.

I am not a floral person at all; I think the only florals I like at all are Danube and Amsterdam (which Chuparosa in some ways reminds me of) but this is just gorgeous. I'm definitely going to be buying a big bottle and hoping that it works to attract some love into my life, because I sure could use some.

ETA: Now that I think about it, LLB may be onto something with thinking there was a geranium note. Sugared geraniums, perhaps??

Edited by allidavie

Got this as a frimp. You'd figure it smelled like roses, from the name.

In the bottle, it does /kind/ of smell like roses. But it's overwhelmed by something almost salty, or buttery. It's kind of unpleasant, and threatens to overwhelm any sweet floral notes in it.

Wet: Still has that gross salted-butter cast to it. Am I the only one that's getting this note? Everyone else seems to be all 'omgsweetfloral' and I'm thinking '...hot buttered...roses?'

Dry: Well, it gets rosy-er, but it never quite manages to get past that funky salt note. Off to the swaps with ye! I'll stick to Moon Rose, I think.

Sniffing the imp: Mmmm…fresh cut flowers in the imp!

Wet on wrist: Mmmm…fresh cut flowers on my wrist! I feel like a girl going to a prom, with a rose corsage on her wrist. :D

Dry down: Oh noes!! This has dried and so has the smell. It now smells like flowers drying and mildewing in a vase full of mucky water!

*Sigh* I guess I am not going to the prom, after all. So much for the "potent hummingbird of love"! S'ok...my date wasn't about to get any, anyway. :P

I had been looking forward to this - and as far as Voodoo goes, this worked.

I was fighting with the DH (and he was refusing to fight back, hee!). I was throwing a tantrum that had a valid basis, but I turned it into a big whine-fest.

He handed me the envelope, I squeed (while sniping), and put some on.

Shortly after that, I gave up on the tantrum, and shortly after that the issue was resolved to our mutual satisfaction (I did a complete reverse, whhaaa?).

Yay, Chuparosa, for making my love for my husband trump my love for dramatic crying jags.

However - as soon as we were all snuggles and happy, I realized that the oil was making me ill. Super-strong floral - is that jasmine? - and I had a headache and a very icky taste in the back of my throat that I associate with lilies that are really pollen-y. It was pretty harshly soapy, too.

I will probably keep this as an emergency blend - while I was crabby, this smelled nice. I think it's only the dry down that killed me - but it was fast acting, so worth it!

Bottle: I got this one as a surprise gift imp. It's very nice in bottle. All I could think of was "Yellow Yellow" floral. Yellow rose, yellow flowers.

On skin: Very long lasting. One of those "next day" scents. Smells pretty much the same on skin as in bottle. The throw is not too strong, but it's enough.

Burnt: Doesn't change, except that I detected a mint powder. Nice.

It's a nice scent, but the scent is such that if I use too much, it could be nausiating. Still, I liked it and wouldn't mind another imp. 7/10

Pretty! In the vial I *think* I smell a light floral and possibly tea. On my skin it smells of sweet rose, light but not powdery. It stays the same drying. Floral notes often scream and yell on my skin and this one behaved beautifully! :P

Awww this is a very sweet demure scent. At first when I read the name I joked to myself about Wayne's World where the Vacuum guy says his hair vacuum "sucks and cuts" and Wayne says "Well it certainly does suck". I thought ChupaRosa means sucks roses. "It certainly does suck" Now I had not smelled it yet so to be fair I tried it.

Well just like in my review of Baku this scent brought back memories of my childhood neighborhood.

In The Bottle: Warm roses and honeysuckle. Innocence, childlike and virginal. Very sweet and noble.

Wet on Skin: Block parties back on Sheridan in Encinitas. A comination of my mom's rose bushes, reds, white, yellow, peach, plum colored and our neighbor Dotties Honeysuckle bushes. I used to sit in my tree fort and smell the honeysuckle merge with the rose smell merging with the sappy pine of the tree in my Mom's yeard back in Encinitas, CA. Oh Gods if I close my eyes I am 6 years old again.

Drydown: Warm calming memories. Rosy warmth and sweet honey. Beautiful scent. Brings tears to me eyes. Very sweet.

hmn, this would have to be one of my least favorite rose notes to date. It seems I don't like honeysuckle. It just had a sweet mustyness to it that was really cloying on me. But if you like your roses sweet and thick then this may be for you.

Lasts a long time though!

Another freebie from the lab to try out. Thanks labbies!

First on my skin, roses and honeysuckle(?). Oooh, nice!

Then after about 5 minutes I seemed to be getting a bunch of Lily of the Valley. Probably my least favorite flower scent along with Lotus. Yep, all LotV all the time now. And strong! No rose or anything else. Damn! This is definitely not for me :P

In the bottle:

A very airy floral

On me:

Normally, I dislike rose and lily. Neither of them work on me and both of them together would usually floral me out. But, despite that, I find this to be a very lovely blend. It's very light and airy, a little watery even. And though I can't indentify more notes other than rose, lily, and honeysuckle - it all works together well to create a very pretty floral. The honeysuckle adds just enough sweetness to help temper that rose and lily. And surprisingly enough, the lily doesn't go very soapy on me.

Final note:

I actually put this on today in hopes that it would serve it's intended purpose, aside from smelling nice. My fiance and I had a rather big fight and I was hoping this blend my help persuade him to apologize with an air of love :P. It didn't work lol. But, it did smell very pretty. I wouldn't wear this because of the whole floral thing and me not getting along - but I may keep this in hopes of using it again for it's Voodoo blend purpose.

At first, I mainly got rose from this. In fact, it screamed "ROSE!" to me.

Then, upon drydown, the weirdest thing happened... there was an underlying scent that reminded me of a freshly cut, bloody steak. The further time progressed, the more this "meaty" scent mingled with the roses until, in the end, I felt I smelled like a decaying corpse.

I have absolutely no clue where this fleshy, meaty note came from, it was just suddenly there, and I've had it in both of my test runs, one of which happened directly after showering.

I can't say I want to wear this or smell it for extended periods of time, even if it has the effects the description mentions. It also lasts and lasts, and only gets stronger as time progresses. Freaky... :P

A frimp I was -just- about to order!

I smell bright, juicy florals. Honeysuckle, rose and maybe lilly. The honeysuckle scent takes over completley in the dry down. And, wow, the throw is very strong on my skin. :P Definately a keeper!

Sweet, gentle florals, with the slightest hint of fruit. I thought this one was quite soft, but evidently it has a heck of a throw - my husband complained from across the room that Chuparosa was "too strong and sweet"!

Since I don't wish to drive my husband away, I can't wear Chuparosa. Off to swaps!

Mmm....This smelled fabulous. I hate florals, but this was sweet and light and smelled of young love and summer.

And then it bit me. Huge, itchy red welts all where I swiped. Damn. The application of Benadryl (both topical and internal), and some hubby-snugglies soothed the beast, but I was so disappointed.

Granted, I got the affection I'd been craving, but it smelled too nice to make me itch...and I've never had a reaction like that before. I may try it again, since I'd just gotten out of a very warm shower.

In the bottle: Honeysuckle, and that weird bazooka joe thingy I get with a lot of these.

First on: Soft, sweet, slightly powdery-soap.

After a bit: It's sexy, clean, and soft. Still mostly honeysuckle and bazooka joe, but slightly askew.

A bit more: You know, I'm not exactly sure what is going on with this, like a lot of the voodoo blends. A little rose, a little honeysuckle, something that smells like bazooka joe, a bit of a powdery soap....

Wet on skin: WHOA HONEYSUCKLE!!!!!!!!!

Dry on skin: HONEYSUCKLE!!!!!

next day, fell asleep in my clothes: HONEYSUCKLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This seemed like a single note to me (obviously), but I loved it. Evidently, my class didn't appreciate the fact that I had half of an imp slathered all over me... but it was so yummy...

Rating: 4/5

This is so pretty! I couldn't figure it out, so I had my mother sniff it. She said it smells like lilies. This is one of the more innocent floral perfumes I own; most of the florals that like me are sensual-smelling. Chuparosa has a little bit of sharpness to keep the sweetness of the lilies from overpowering you. Unlike most BPAL lilies, Chuparosa doesn't fade almost immediately. It has pretty decent staying power and above-average throw.

Chuparosa was a lovely floral on me, mostly smelling like honeysuckle. There's also a bit of a spice note that might be cinnamon or cassia. Whatever the spice note is, it's something that I'm allergic to because I have a huge red welt right where I applied this. :P It's a shame because it's one of the few florals that I really like.

Chuparosa - I find it very hard to believe that this would actually work as a love blend on anyone. In the vial, wet on my skin, and after the initial dry-down, it smells nauseatingly like a wet dog that's been rolling in dirt and grass. I have not given it a full go -- after about 30 minutes, I've had enough and as soon as I'm done typing, I'm heading to the sink to wash this off. It's overwhelming and cloying and I keep finding I'm leaning my head back as far away from my wrists as possible.

First sniff: Rosey! Wow, imagine that! They’re very green roses, though, as if they’re not quite ripe. The rose equivalent of a green-tinged banana.

Wearing: Green roses on my wrist, which was rather nice, but I had a weird sickly-sweet aura hanging around me for most of the day. However… I showered with Villainess’ Datura Smooch! this morning, and I remember odd scent-happenings last time I did that, ‘cause it clung like mad and turned everything way-too-sweet… so I’m putting Chuparosa aside to try again later, and I suspect we’ll get along better next time we meet.

Chuparosa

In the imp: roses and honeysuckle, the scent of flowers and nectar. How pretty!

Wet on skin: sweet nectary flowers, jasmine and honeysuckle, and a few other flowers I can't recognise.

Dry on skin: such a pretty scent! I get a dry-ish floral here which I'm sure I've smelt before but I can't name it now. I get jasmine and honeysuckle. Possibly some lily and tropical flowers. A soft dry, sweet, pale background…maybe some white sandalwood? I get a little rose but not as much as I expected. I also get something that I'm sure is violet. But all in all, it's a sweet bouquet of flowers.

After a while: I think its lily. What sort of lily, I can't say (I'm guessing calla), but the scent has calmed to a gentle greenish lily scent with a beautiful sweetness, fringed by jasmine. I can smell nectar here, that's for sure, which is appropriate for a scent named after a hummingbird.

There are times when this scent becomes a beautiful soft white floral, slightly powdery, very sweet, delicate and delightful. The end drydown is a not very nice greenish sharp jasmine/honeysuckle scent which isn't as lovely as some of the earlier stages.

Verdict: this is such a pretty floral scent! Gentle, dewy, full of nectar, heady but still delicate, this is a soft bouquet of fragrant sweet blooms which I can't identify for certain, but I'm guessing lilies, jasmine, honeysuckle, possibly gardenia (of the nice kind), tropical flowers. The scent is sweet and moist and does indeed have a soothing, merciful feel to it, almost compassionate, not forceful, and at times this scent is a beautiful powdered sweet floral. the end stage is not as nice though-it's doing the dry green thing that a lot of jasmine/honeysuckle scents do on me, but I think I might keep the imp since this scent is so pretty and girly and lovely.

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: Eos, Moscow, Belle Epoque

Edited by yeahbutnobut