Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
MissAnthropy

Chuparosa

The Hummingbird of Love, the Rose Sucker. A potent, benevolent, merciful love blend.

So pretty! I'm not really a floral girl but this has a nice grassy undertone that, in addition to cutting the sweetness of the florals, also evokes a crazy-strong scent memory of my childhood, specifically of the lilac bush in front of my preschool. I've always found lilac really comforting, so it's no surprise I like this. That's the main note I'm getting, plus some honeysuckle and carnation. No rose at all, which is fine by me. Very summery and youthful, good for everyday wear but also quite romantic. Love it!

Oh, Chuparosa, I wanted to love you, but alas your love is for someone else. This was a lab frimp with a recent order, and it should have been magic judging from the scent in the imp. Heady rose, honeysuckle, and something both woody and spicy that made me think of cassia.

Wet the spicy note hung out with the florals, preventing them from being overly sweet, and there was a strong scent of crushed honeysuckle leaf and vine. Very green and fresh, very nice with the powerful floral.

Unfortunately, as it dried, that was all that was left, a very strong, sour crushed greenery that smelled like I had been abusing the honeysuckle vines with my weed whacker and then rolling in the sappy carnage. :(

You know, out of all the frimps I recently received, this is what stuck out.

The overall effect is a well-rounded, waxy, smooth, viscous green floral without smelling damp or wet. I want to emphasize the viscous part here.. It really truly smells (to me) like the creamy slightly spicy wax which protects rose, lily, and gardenia petals. I wouldn't advise going about abusing these lovely flowers just to experience my comparison.. but wait for the natural attrition of life to take place and seize your opportunity! You'll see what I mean ;)...

This is a clean green spicy smell that I'll never confuse with household product, ponds, stems, leaves...whatever else. :wub2:

Edited by SophieCedar

Got this as a frimp - it screams lilac to my nose. The instant I put it on, I was reminded of the lilac bushes that grew in the backyard of the house where I grew up. It's a bright, intense, fresh floral - I'm also detecting some honeysuckle, but no rose. It stays the same through drydown.

Honestly, I'm not a floral fan and would probably never wear this, but it is a ridiculously pretty blend. Would be great for an oil burner in springtime (and, now that I think about it, it smells a lot like the Bath & Body Works candle called Spring). If you like florals, you need some Chuparosa in your life.

This is really pretty. Rose and honeysuckle? It doesn't quite blend together very well for me - I like it, but it feels a little disjointed. Hmmmm.....

In the imp: The oil itself has a unique pink color to it. It's a sort of omnidirectional floral - if pressed to pick one, I would indeed say roses, but fresh garden roses just after rain, not traditional perfumey roses. There's even a bit of straight-up greenery as a base, to complete the rain-washed garden illusion.

Wet: A much greener scent than in the imp. Interestingly, the rose itself veers slightly waxy/perfumey. It quickly veers more sweet-floral than floral-sweet, which I think we have the honeysuckle to thank for. I don't have a great scent profile for honeysuckle, but from other people's descriptions, it makes sense.

Dry: Florals pretty much all the way down. I think I may have gotten a brief flash of something ambery way down at the base, but that may have been interference from my coat sleeve, which has had contact with so many different perfume oils that it's probably gained an aroma of its own.

This is an unusually short-lasting scent (3-4 hours tops), and maybe it'll be a nice, fresh floral for summer, but I don't think it's going to be in heavy rotation this winter.

This is very very green both in the imp and on my skin. I can pick out the honeysuckle, but the green note is overpowering. It kind of reminds me of the relish mayo they put on McDonald's Filet-o-fish for some strange reason. :mellow:

Very soft and faint. A bit of rose, maybe a bit of soap, but pleasant.

Gone after...an hour??

Yep. Hm. |: That didn't last.

Chuparosa is pretty faint on my skin, but I get rose and I think a bit of honeysuckle, though I don't know if I'd have correctly identified the honeysuckle if others hadn't mentioned it. Briefly, it has sort of an overripe quality to it, but settles down to a nice (and still faint) rose scent. It specifically smells a lot like a rose-scented glass-encased candle I have on my altar. There are some beautiful prayers and invocations online that can be used with Chuparosa oil. This is too faint on me for perfume purposes, but I plan to use it on candles and such.

Yum. Spicy sweet floral. Cinnamon, lilac, and Rose are the notes that stand out in Chuparosa, but there's a lot more going on.

It's REALLY pink. Pink like pink lemonade candy :-) .

Wet, the spice and flowers are pretty darn strong, almost overpowering, in a "Oh no, did I put on too much?" way. That sweet attack calms down after about five minutes, and Chuparosa stays close to the skin after that.

This scent makes me smile. It's cheering, and sweet, and sunny. It's kind of like a shot of the innocent confidence of childhood. This is the BPAL Pippi Longstocking would wear.

It smelled sour to me in the imp, then was sour when wet - I think it is due to the honeysuckle which is a death note on me - it usually ends up sweet and sour on me, but in this blend, there is no sweet - I think because the greenness cuts down the sweet, so it's just sour on me. To the swap box.

Wet: There's a bit of floral spiciness to this - almost reads like cinnamon, but I don't think it is. There's some green. Something almost metallic, or ozoney.

Dry: I find that all of the Conjure Bag scents have a similarity to them on me - this weird herby spiciness that I can't quite place, but that I don't care for, unfortunately.

I'm not a floral fan, but this would be lovely for people who like those kinds of blends -- it's soft, light, and quite green.

I also just have to comment on the color of the oil in the imp -- it is the most beautiful bright pink-red hue. Gorgeous-looking, wish I liked the smell more.

In the imp I mostly get honeysuckle, while on I get more rose and lily with it. There is also a dusting of cinnamon, the spicier kind. I'm not getting the green everyone is mentioning. It's sweet, gentle floral with a spicy kick for me. I really like it, further testing will see if it is bottle-worthy!

Uh, Dragon's blood, is that you?

On my skin, I smell rose and honeysuckle and honey like the nectar for the hummingbird, and under those, cinnamon or cassia in a faint background blend that makes me think of dragon's blood. I wonder if there's a drop of that, or just a shared component or two, giving this oil its curious pinkish-orange hue.

As this dries, a beeswax note comes out and joins the other things.

This is pleasant, but a little too close to cloying to be a favorite for me.

The wettest rose note I have ever smelled. Wet, fresh, green rose. Too fresh for me. Like roses before they are in full bloom during a damp sunrise. I will have to pass.

Tested Chuparosa this morning. In the bottle it's all green, lush floral. On my skin it turns into something much sweeter - like a lotus blended with rose and a hint of something slightly spicy. On the drydown, I still smell the lotus like sweetness with rose and something else that I can't quite pinpoint. I guess it's irrelevant cause this made me break out into red splotches. My skin doesn't like this one at all. It smells nice, but my epidermiermis isn't having it.

All I'm getting is rose. I'm not getting any sweetness at all, like other reviewers. It's very dusty on my skin.

getting rose air freshener and bug spray. Lilac always comes off as bug spray to my nose and skin.

In the imp: I smell flowers, lightly spiced. I'm thinking possibly jasmine, honeysuckle, and soft rose (maybe pink?), but I'm not sure.

Wet: Honeysuckle accompanied by soft spices. At least, that's what I get at first, thinking of Chimera if it weren't heavy on the cinnamon. But that quickly goes away, and now I think I may be getting some lilac from this, along with honeysuckle. I think there may also be lily in this, and there's a bit of a green quality to it as well. There's a white floral note in here that is getting stronger as the scent dries.

Dry: Unfortunately, the scent is so light during this stage that I can't try to pick out any notes that I'm smelling. The spices have pretty much dissipated, leaving behind a soft floral and just a tinge of spice.

Verdict: This one was okay during the wet stage, but it became too faint once it was dry, just leaving behind a soft floral, so it's not for me.

Chuparosa is an absolutely gorgeous pink color in the imp. Wet on my skin, it smelled like dragon's blood and rosewater to me, maybe honeysuckle and guava, lovely. Then a few minutes later I decided I hadn't put enough on because I could barely smell it anymore. I reapplied, but again my skin just drank this one up. Super sad face, but it's going to swaps.

I recently got a bottle of Chuparosa on ebay, and wow, this well aged specimen sure differs from what is described. The color is a bit more amber than pink, to start with. In the bottle, it is the exact scent if the flower shaped soaps that were popular gifts for young girls in the 90s. On the skin, it is a soft unidentifiable floral, clean and sweet. Oddly there isn't all that much rose here. I definitely get some honeysuckle, but I couldn't say for sure what any of the other flowers are. If I had to describe it, I would say that it is a summertime answer to Snow White - the blossom that bloom long after the snow has melted away.

I got a decant of this from @crystaltongue (so same bottle as review above). It interestingly is quite different on my skin. In the bottle/decant, I have a similar impression of the light floral soaps that were popular in the 90s, though also of a specific Chinese rose soap that was wrapped in floral pink paper that my foster family often had around as a kid.

On my skin, it turns into a hummingbird garden in full bloom, quite appropriately. Honeysuckle and lilac and a delicate rose and some sort of lily and trumpet flower and lotus and wisteria and honestly just an immense array of blooming flowers. I imagine a garden filled with hummingbirds and butterflies and bees. There is a wetness to this scent like it has just rained, and it brings out the green nature of the stems and leaves of the plants.

Through the magic of skin chemistry though, this has quite a bit of throw on me and isn't fading pretty much at all over the time I've had it on, which is not what I was expecting considering other reviews. Granted, I do tend to amp several of these flowers that I'm getting.

This is very much a springtime scent to my mind, so I'll probably wear it more then, and I have other things in this genre that I like the balance of better, but I'm very glad to have my decant and will definitely be wearing it when the weather is a bit more in line with the scent.