Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Clove discussion! including bitter clove and clove cigarettes

Pumpkin Spice Everything perfume (2014) was strong on the clove. Strangely, the atmosphere spray & hair gloss were not - I got more of a mix of spices from them. I really like the clove in Clemence & WIld Men of Jezirat, too.

You might also want to look for things with a carnation note - it's quite similar & might be softer. Here's the thread: http://www.bpal.org/topic/21410-carnations/

Off the top of my head from the GC, Alice has carnation, milk & honey with a little bit of rose. Morocco is also nice but might not be quite what you're looking for.

If you amp clove, you might try Maiden. The carnation note in Maiden becomes clove on me, and takes over the blend. YMMV, because amping clove is my BPAL superpower. Edited by Teamama

I love clove and wish I had even more clove scents. I'm sure they've all already been mentioned but my favorites are Jack and Seraglio in the General Catalogue, and Pickled Imp and Young Pine Saplings for LE.

And now also adding Mourning Lace - beautiful clove with hints of warm wood, sweet and creamy. Love it.

Crucifixion is a lovely feature for red clove: Frankincense, dried red roses, and myrrh with soft orris, labdanum, and red clove.

My favourite cloves are:

Crimson

Dead Leaves, Raw Leather, Bourbon Vanilla & Clove

Blood

Old Demons Of The First Class

Jack is wonderful too but not hugely clovey on me. Crimson is likely to remain my ultimate scent full stop, never mind my favourite clove, but I'm always in the market for more clove dominant scents :) There are a few unimpables I have my beady eye on right now and I'd love to get an impression on their clove quotient from fellow fanatics before risking a blind bottle. How have you guys got on with these?...

Hunter

Looming Spectre Of Unutterable Horror (was a tempting rec for this earlier)

Crucifixion (LiberAmoris' mention sounds promising)

I swear there was another one but my brain appears to have melted :D

Edited by Scarlet Woodland

Old Demons was a little too peppery for me. A little too sharp. But Blood was lovely if you like dragon's blood.

The Hell Gate of Ireland was lovely with the black musk and labdanum though there was that sulfer note. The Imperfect Enjoyment smelled like darkness and clove cigarettes. The Smiling Spider was a woody mahogany/patch clove. In His Hands Thy Cruelties Thrive is a leather and bay clove. Gacela of the Dark Death was a bit too sharp and piney on me but I think it's currently a Yule.

Pickled Imp is kind of snuggly and smells like oatmeal cookies on me. Go figure.

As far as GCs go, aged Dracul is lovely after the pine settles down.

Edited by patina

My favourite cloves are:

Crimson

Dead Leaves, Raw Leather, Bourbon Vanilla & Clove

Blood

Old Demons Of The First Class

Jack is wonderful too but not hugely clovey on me. Crimson is likely to remain my ultimate scent full stop, never mind my favourite clove, but I'm always in the market for more clove dominant scents :) There are a few unimpables I have my beady eye on right now and I'd love to get an impression on their clove quotient from fellow fanatics before risking a blind bottle. How have you guys got on with these?...

Hunter

Looming Spectre Of Unutterable Horror (was a tempting rec for this earlier)

Crucifixion (LiberAmoris' mention sounds promising)

I swear there was another one but my brain appears to have melted :D

Hunter is a subdued/very light clove on me. It starts out smelling like sage and leather and warm, dry grass, but then after a couple hours morphs into amber combined with something that's sort of like spiced chai tea. Like the lovechild of Bow and Crown of Conquest and The Lion, except not quite as sweet as either.

My favorite clove scent atm is The Avenue (dark chocolate, clove, smoked amber, bourbon vanilla tar, and black pepper), which smells sort of dirty-sexy and sort of like Christmas at the same time. The clove note is pretty strong in it, the chocolate note is the dark/not-too-sweet kind, and somehow the combination of ingredients makes it smell almost like it has leather in it. Plunder is also a strong, spicy clove, but the black tea note in it is a little stronger than I'd like.

I have extremely high hopes for Gingerbread, Clove, and Vetiver from the new Yules update.

Edited by Elspethdixon

Hmmm Hunter does sound rather nice even with subtle clove... tempting. Was nervous of all the cinnamon in Plunder as I amp it to 11 but it's gotta be worth an imp. Thankyou :)

I generally try to stick my fingers in my ears on unavailable scents but The Avenue and The Imperfect Enjoyment sound amazing! Thankfully vetiver saves me selling a kidney for In His Hands Thy Cruelties Thrive because I LOVE that name. As for The Smiling Spider :thud:. Pleeeeaaase resurrect this labbies *bats eyelashes*.

Velvet Bandito, I'm hoarding the last half of my bottle. I only wear it in the fall/winter, so that helps. It doesn't help that fall/winter is 8 MONTHS OF THE YEAR. Rant for the day :biggrin:

Does Nanshe have clove in it? It smells a lot like Fruit Loops cereal on me. I forgot to mention Le Ronde du Sabbat, which is heavily frankincense and clove. Also it looks like Aquarius will have prominent clove this year!

Let's bump this thread! 

I love BPAL clove! Thorns' Clove Cigarette if you can find it; Old Demons of the First Class is a great clove -forward GC currently out of stock (Siberian musk, black clove, opoponax, tonka, black pepper, and neroli) so get on the wait-list; Clemence from Carnival Diabolique is out of stock right now but get on the wait-list for the perfect patchouli clove blend; GC Blood for dragons blood and clove; GC Dracul (Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom); Low Key Lyesmith (Black clove and cassia flung onto glowing cinders and mingled with slow-dripping poisons); A Torch Steeped in Blood (Pine pitch and clove-tinged dragon’s blood resin); and then Frankincense and Clove hair gloss and Black Clove, Tobacco Flower and Grave Soil for the most perfect clove hair gloss!!

Planning to wear Voodoo today which also has clove, but my fave BPAL clove is probably The Moon Gazed on My Midnight Labours!

Edited by neptuneanblues
repeated a word!

Oh hell yes clove! A few additional newer clove scents that are amazing: 

And I Wede My Corne Well I-Now for a perfect summery clove

Black Pepper, Amber, and Clove for a fancyy clove

Cacao, Sweet Patchouli, Smoked Clove, and Green Cardamom for unfff stop it

Gingerbread and Leather for even more unff 

Gooped Familiar and now also Cinder Paw for clovey cats

Kobold Barista for clovey coffee

Lavender, White Clove, and Ambrette Seed for a calm clove

On 12/13/2016 at 10:48 AM, milo said:

Velvet Bandito, I'm hoarding the last half of my bottle. I only wear it in the fall/winter, so that helps. It doesn't help that fall/winter is 8 MONTHS OF THE YEAR. Rant for the day :biggrin:

I put on some Velvet Bandito from my very aged decant just now and thought of this thread, I'm not surprised someone else mentioned it here, there's no clove in the description but I am getting a warm dusty clovey kind of scent.  

Clove can be tricky on me, sometimes it likes to take over the whole scent.  So I have to be careful.  

On 5/21/2023 at 8:22 AM, LavenderCoffee said:

Oh hell yes clove! A few additional newer clove scents that are amazing: 

And I Wede My Corne Well I-Now for a perfect summery clove

Black Pepper, Amber, and Clove for a fancyy clove

Cacao, Sweet Patchouli, Smoked Clove, and Green Cardamom for unfff stop it

Gingerbread and Leather for even more unff 

Gooped Familiar and now also Cinder Paw for clovey cats

Kobold Barista for clovey coffee

Lavender, White Clove, and Ambrette Seed for a calm clove

I am loving all of these recs as a clove fiend myself! 😍 The only ones I don't have are Kobold and the two Ménage à Trois. Black Pepper, Amber and Clove sadly didn't work for me, I think the amber and pepper aren't working on my skin. Also Cinder Paw is on the way and I'm excited to try it!

I would add Constellation as the perfect exotic fancy clove. I thought Thorns' Clove Cigarette was my favorite clove scent but this is right up there with it, I just adore it! 🖤

Bridge Trolls as a smoky pine clovey Dorian is another one I love! 

Witchecraft: Consulting a Book of Spells, Performing Various Rites is a nice candlewax clove

Edited by she's a carnival

Testing Arachne of Lydia today and had to shout it out here! So simple and so rich. 
Soft brown and Tyrian purple: dusty clove and blackcurrant.

There Is No Bliss Like This (Lupercalia, 2020) has both clove and carnation (as well as cinnamon). With vanilla & patchouli in the background, this is a very cozy spice party.

Edited by alterosen
Inadvertent reference to another perfume brand