Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Goddess of Strife and Discord, constant companion and sometime consort to Ares. She is a fickle, chaotic Goddess of Bedlam whose greatest passion is the sowing of dissention and turmoil. A suitably disjointed scent, bursting with gleeful mayhem: wet fruits and sharp mimosa with Martial spices and a deceptive flash of floral.

Bright, sweet, wet fruits. Almost bubblegumish. Blech! Going to my swaps pile.

In bottle: Bright fruits - watermelon and berries, I think.Well, I definitely get watermelon out of it, at elast. There's jasmine or some other strong floral, too. It's a very bright fragrance, not at all what I expected.

On me: The initial flare of the fruit is subdued and tamed on the skin by the mimosa. This becomes an incensy floral, which I am not very interested in. The way the oil fluctuates between watermelon and this darker stage is driving me nuts - I can't decide if I like it or not because the scent keeps changing!

This is sugary sweet watermelon, like watermelon that was frozen and thawed, so now it's extra sweet. I got a faint hint of something floral in the background, but it wasn't able to compete with the crazy strong watermelon. Pretty, but so not me.

in the bottle: spiced fruits.

wet on skin: unfortunately, this never made it to me skin. The spiced fruits were just too much for my nose and the imp went straight to my swap box. This doesn't happen often and I'm always disappointed when it does. :/

Why I tried it -- Chaos and gender neutral! Why not?

In the bottle and wet: Fruit! Once it gets on my skin I smell melon among the fruit.

Drying down: still a sort of green melony fruit scent. No spices or floral yet.

Dry: The floral is coming out more and maybe a hint of some sort of sweet spice? I'm finding it a rather happy scent, not chaotic at all. I like it, but then I'm learning that I like almost all of the fruity scents. Who knew? I think one of the flowers is jasmine but in this blend it smells good on me, so yay for that too. Not sure it's a big bottle, but the imps a keeper.

However, unless it did something very different on a guy, I can't think of too many guys who would like this one, so again not with the gender neutral on me.

provenance: lagniappe from the lab! how do they know to send me excolo scents?? can it really be luck?

in the imp: overwhelmingly fruity. this does not bode well. fruit might as well be a child running with scissors, the way it reacts to my body chemistry.

on my wrist, wet: hmmm. the fruit is still there as a top note. sweet, sugared fruit. very pink smelling. watermelon? lotus? don't know. underneath, there are floral notes.

on my wrist, dry: huh. light white florals. a hint of smoke.

drydown: the florals and the smoke and reminiscent fruit. this now smells nothing like it did originally. i thought i would despise it. now i like it. i'll definitely test drive this again.

Eris sounded like an interesting concept for a scent and grabbed my attention right away. Plus, I love mimosa, so I definitely had to try it!

Even though the smell in the imp is a little sharp, quite possibly because of the mimosa, it was not even remotely as jarring as I would have expected it to be.

Once on the skin, it mellows down very quickly and turns out to be quite nice and fresh: a jaunty mix of red fruit, watermelon and mimosa. Mimosa can sometimes go a little sour on me, much to my despair, but I am happy to report that this is not the case at all here.

This is a very nice scent that I would recommend to anyone looking for something a bit different in the fruity/floral family, as well as mimosa lovers. Just be aware that Eris is not a discordant, chaotic scent in spite of its name :P

Edited by Ishtar

This smells like juicy, ripe fruit when I opened the imp. Not really sure what kind of fruit, but it is fruity! Smells a bit like melon, papaya and pear, or something exotic. It smells just a little bit musky.

Wet, still very fruity as it dries, the muskiness is gone. The floral begins to emerge and meshes nicely with the fruity notes.

Fades into a light, sweet floral scent. I'm guessing it is the mimosa. When dry, this disappears almost entirely within an hour. Only when I sniff up close do I detect it. I wish this would last longer on me.

In the bottle, Eris smelled strongly fruity. It was a happy, festive sort of smell.

On me, wet, it was still fruity, and reminded me of Jolly Ranchers candy. There was a bit of a smoky smell coming out as well.

As it dried, it turned more perfumey and less "festive". For whatever reason, I got the image of a mature and sophisticated woman having tea with her friends under parasols in a garden.

There's something about this one that reminds me of something I smelled in another oil... Blood Amber, it might have been. It's a sort of cherry-ish smell, and reminds me distinctly of something from my childhood... but I haven't been able to recall just what that scent was. Perhaps some sort of candy I used to get?

It was nice as it fades, but I'm not sure I'll end up keeping it, as I'm not quite as fond as the fruity-sweet or floral scents.

In the imp: Eris is an OMGWTFBBQ SWEET sugary scent. It reminds me of the strawberry lip balms I wore as a kid.

Wet: Not so bad. It immediately simmers down and becomes a very wet strawberry-like scent with amber undertones (my skin's hobby is amplifying resinous scents).

Drydown: It continues as a lovely strawberry-golden scent with hints of something mellow and floral. Over time, the berry backs off (note this is definitely NOT the same berry as in Bewitched, Lady Macbeth, or Blood Countess- this is pink where those are purple) and the floral comes forward to mingle with that golden something.

In sum: Eris starts out quite young and girlish, quite mischievious and energetic. It settles, on me, into something much more kindly and calm after about 30 minutes. I like Eris, in general. It's not a big bottle scent for me, but I'll enjoy using the imp.

I took a chance and bought a big bottle of this off of E-Bay and I don't regret it.

In the bottle: Something about it really puts me off the smell in the bottle. If I went by that alone, I would hate it. It smells like make-up to me.

On wet: Very nice. Starts off a little strong but settles. And I can agree to the watermelon smell mentioned. A lovely blend of fruits and florals.

Drydown: As it fades it gets very sweet. Nice.

This is a really fun and childish scent. But not in the bad way like only little girls would wear it. But it reminds me of my childhood and youth in general. This is the second BPAL scent I've gotten complimented on. My sister liked it a lot.

Unfortunately when I got my bottle I accidentally knocked it over on my desk and a fourth of it got out :P . But thankfully I still have plenty left to last me for a while. And I do believe I'll get another on when it runs out.

First on this smells very odd. I keep thinking of melons that have been very watered down. Honeydew melon? Over the next few minutes the watery note fades and it gets more candy-like. I'm not getting watermelon jolly ranchers (it isn't that sweet on me), but I could see this as a sort of melon hard candy.

I forgot that I was wearing this and ignored it for a while, until suddenly I smelled a very perfumey musk and started to get a headache. Then I realized that it was Eris.

This goes from melon candies to perfumey musk on me. Off to the swap pile it goes.

Edited by Blood onmy hands

Must be my lucky day, a second Lab Frimp I love!!!!!

In the Bottle: Scary! Booze candy. Yuk.

Drydown: Yep, watermelon Jolly Ranchers...

Dry: When done, get fresh melon with some musk in a bed of flowers. Fun, flirty, summery, cute and yes, a bit candy-like. I won't wear it often, but I will when I feel like a sassy summer fun scent. I like sniffing this one a lot. I just may wear it more often than I think.

In the bottle: Sweet, with a tang. Almost smells like...bubblegum? Maybe a little citrusy.

Wet: At first, the tangy scent is strongest. I admit that when I read "mimosa" I thought of the drink, not the flower, but I really did smell something boozy orange in there somewhere. Could be my mind playing tricks. Soon, however, this starts to go a little powdery on me - so yes, mimosa the flower, which is pretty similar to gardenia. Gardenia always goes powdery on me.

Drydown: Yeah, it's settled down into expensive powdery floral soap on me. Shame, really.

Sniffing the imp: My…this is *very* fruity! And…uh oh…what is that underneath…oh, ick…smells like pee! I’ve read about other people smelling that in certain scents, but it is the first time that has happened to me!

Uh oh, well I still have to try it on my wrist in the name of scientific research. Here goes…

Wet on wrist: Very fruity! At least, there is no urine smell this time.

Drier: Still fruity, but now the floral is coming through. It is very sweet, so I am guessing honeysuckle, but then again, the fruit smell was sweet, too, so it is hard to tell which is the sweet thing that I am smelling.

Dry: Well, the florals have evened this out a bit, but it is still a merging of fruit and floral that is I am not enamored of. Unfortunately, too, the pee smell is there faintly, again. Is that the Martial spices? I don’t know but I am not going to keep this anyway. Off to swaps it goes!

Eris:

In the bottle: Fruity and floral in a nicely blended way!

Wet: Hm. Still frutyfloral, but with a little more floral than fruit.

Drydown: Roses/honesuckle (for some reason I have a hard time telling them apart) with an undercurrent of fruit

Conclusion: Yummy! Keep, and test more to see if 5ml is nesessary!

Well, my imp of Eris finally turned up yesterday. Curse you, USPS. :P

In bottle: Um, how can I put this delicately? To my untrained nose, it smells like cat urine, with an underlying hint of watermelon. I almost didn't bother to test it, but I wanted to give it a chance.

Just applied: Nope, not getting any better. Now I smell like I've been rolling in Hello Kitty's litterbox.

Drying down: Occasional nice flashes of the watermelon and maybe something floral, but still more of the same. I'm not sure what it is, really. My only guess is that it might be the mimosa, since that's the one note in this I'm not really familiar with.

Dry: It's a lost cause. Discordant? Yes, but...

Way later: Everything gone but some pungent evil flowery smell that refuses to go away even after a shower. Maybe that's the mimosa, I dunno.

Verdict: Curse you, Eris. I'm gonna go eat a hot dog or 23 now to spite you for pulling this on me. I almost wonder if the oil might have gone off, but it might just be my skin chemistry. Oh well, at least now I have evidence of another note I might want to avoid, always valuable information. Anyway, the person I got it from sent cute stickers with it, so that's a plus. :D

Edited by cantabile

This does smell summery, almost a kind of sugared apple-watermelon smell in the imp with something in the background (presumably the spices.) It's bright and sweet but held back some. The extreme sugary edge disappears on the skin. It gets more a lot more floral as well, but otherwise, doesn't morph too much like I would have expected because of the name. I'm actually rather fond of this! I like sweet scents but they throttle me a lot, and this is more subdued.

ITB: Sweet with a hint of spice and something less nice, almost civet-y.

On: better. Whatever was smelling unpleasant in the imp has gone away, and now I am picking up the fruits.

Dry: The throw is not very strong, but the florals are heavy nonetheless. It's nice, but nothing special on me.

Way fruity...watermelon? papya? Super sweet with a bit of muskiness. Hmmm.

Drying down, I am pleased to meet mimosa in the garden. I love mimosas, but they are often bitter in blends. That inital blast of fruit is fading down to meet the mimosa and transforming the oil into an accord that is much more like the scent of a real mimosa blossom...those pink, Seusical puffy blooms that won my heart in the South. :P The bit of spice makes this very wearable for me...adds an exotic touch.

I will save this for summer, but I do love her so.

Like Mi-Go, only minus the pepper and plus something I suspect is civet. I want to like it, because there are yummy juicy fruits in here, but it's also kind of sour and gross, and I like Mi-Go better.

I bought Eris as a gift, and just from sniffing the bottle before wrapping it, I know I don't really care for it.

The blends was a little too chaotic for me. I smelled a sweet, fruity note that would have been wonderful if not for this underlying sour decay I kept catching. :P

I had an imp of this, and now I have a bottle, I love it so! Eris is my Goddess, so I'm glad Her scent loves me. Ripe summer melons, fragrant rich flowers, yum!

As it drys, the floral tones come out more, but the fruit never goes away. My husband thinks it's just edible on me... :P

at first: bright, sweet fruits.

on: sweet (almost too sweet), juicy, and sparkling.

3.5 hours later: sweet fruits with a bit of something floral underneath.

overall: this is nice on me, but that's all.

So, first of all, my disclaimer: I don't know anything about scents or notes, and I realized when I tried Eris today that I'm terrible at picking them apart, but I've promised myself I'll review every one I try, and therefore improve (hopefully!). I have nothing else to compare this with, either. I've never tried to review a perfume, and Eris is my first BPAL scent ever.

In the bottle: I'm not getting that super-sugary wet fruit scent that so many people wrote about. It's smoky and spicey and warm. I'm a bit dubious about it as a perfume, but it might be nice as a room scent? I can't tell.

Nah. I don't know why, but no.

Seems fairly feminine, rather than gender neutral, which is odd. It's a little like lightly floral incense.

UPDATE: I tried it again, and it's less smoky. MUCH less. Still not getting watery fruit, but I am smelling spicey fruits, or warm fruit blossoms. It's nice, I really like it.

On me: Smoke and incense. Where's all the fruit? I'm a bit congested, and maybe I'm smelling it too up close or something, but all I'm getting is that incense smell right now. Still that elusive scent of flowers (no clue about individual flower scents, I'm not that discerning... yet... hopefully.) but I can't seem to really smell them. Hence "elusive".

Fade: So-so. Seems a bit quick, but it might've been the light application.

Verdict: Undecided. I like it, but I'd like to smell some of the melon scent.

Edited because the disclaimer needed improvement.

Re-edit: On the wand I can smell some of that sweet strawberry lip balmy stuff now, but it's still all incense on me. I may update later in the day if this morphs on me.

More editing: See update above.

Edited by cordia