Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lucretia

Verdandi

Deep herbs and apple with black amber.

Why I tried it: the idea of apples and amber appealed.

In the bottle and wet: Apple!

Drying down: Still apple and a fairly sweet apple at that.

Dry: Still with the apple, although it's not as sweet. I'm not getting any amber at all and I can't identify the herbs although I can smell something herbal. Although there's no honey in this one, I'm getting an apples in honey effect from it. Or maybe apples in a very light sugar syrup. It's very nice; this one's a keeper.

So much has already been said, but feel the need to review this one too, as it's so good.

At first, mostly herbs. Not dried herbs on me, but fresh cut ones, right out of the garden. The the apple creeps in, slowly at first, but then it becomes more dominant. The amber was the last one to arrive, and it stays in the background, but deepens the scent, giving it a nice, mellow feel.

I love it, have had the imp for a while, and just fot a 5ml from Andromedii!

Sniffing the imp…hmmm…I smell chocolate! Strange, as I look up the ingredients in Verdandi and apparently there is no chocolate in it. I wonder what herb makes it smell like that to me? I don’t think amber or apple would…

Wet on wrist….Mmmmmmmmm…oh my goodness, this smell delicious! I want to chew my hand. This one should have been part of the Carnivale Noir series as Candy Apple! Oh, I hope, hope, hope this one dries down to this same scent because right now I want to smell like this as often as I can! :-)

Oh...My...Goddess! Drying down, this is almost starting to smell like Blue Moon to me!!! Could it be that I didn't have to pay $85 on Ebay for the LE when I could have had Verdandi for $12?

Drying down to candy sweet, red apples coated in sugar and the sugary scents are my favourites. Pink Moon smells like Pink Candy Floss to me, Blue Moon like Blue Candy Floss and Verdandi like Candy Apples! This one is going into my Top 10 Loves! Thanks Beth, you Olfactory Goddess!! :P

In the imp, sniffed: Herbal chocolate? With some apple lurking in the background.

On skin, wet: The chocolate note comes out more noticeably, followed by the herbs and the spiced amber. No sign of the apple, which was what I was looking for in this oil blend. There's a slight fruitiness, but it doesn't say "APPLE."

Drydown: Chocolate and amber, the apple's completely gone, as is any fruitiness.

It's nice enough, but not for me. Off to swaps. I guess I'll have to look to Hesperides for a true apple scent.

Wet she is super fresh, cut open green herbs and apple. So clean and alive! Drying down the greeness turns to the red side of the apple, and becomes a bit spicy...like when I am making pie: sliced granny smith apples with cinnnimon, maybe some clove...but before the sugar and crust. Dry it is still a bit spicy, the apple nearly gone, but a rich darkness holds on, like the stem of the apple. The base is what really makes this one a keeper for me. It makes it mysterious, a little dark, and oh, so wearable. I feel like I could wear this anytime in any season.

This is quite lovely. As with Kuang Shi and The Red Queen, two of my other recent experiments with fruity scents, the fruit note -- apple in this case -- is quite prominent, but there are other notes balancing it out and keeping it from being too foody.

I don't really get the amber as such, but there's definitely something softening and mellowing the apple, which is probably that. And there's an underlying darkness and slight spiciness that keep it from smelling like the green apple soap at the Body Shop or anything like that. It has a slightly smoky, incensey edge to it that makes me think of apple-scented candles more than actual apples. Or maybe some kind of magical apples of the Otherworld.

After a while, the apple settles into the mix more and isn't as distinct, and it's just a nice scented-candle type scent that's no longer that strongly fruity, but still very pleasant.

Grade: B+

This is such a perfect fall scent that I just had to review it. From Verdandi, I get - apples. Yes, apples, really.

All silliness aside, this is a beautiful scent. It reminds me of tart green apples. It is so perfect for crisp weather. Verdandi was a gift from the lab over the summer. Being on a huge amber kick, I tried it right away. It was nice, really nice in fact but I wasn't compelled to pull out the imp until the first frost was threatening. I don't really get amber or herbs. It's a sweet, tart apple but one that is wonderfully grounded, warm and round - that must be the amber. I'm thinking that the herbs must be adding a bit of that tartness in addition to the natural contribution from the apple.

The crisp cool air pushes Verdandi from being a really nice scent into one where I need to get a 5 ml, and I'm envisioning Verdandi lotion, Verdandi bath gel. It's a wonderfully fruity scent that's not really foody (foody in my mind equalling more gourmand scents - chocolate, butter, doughy, etc). I think that it's perfect for my mom, who loves fruity and herby scents. I hope that it will turn out to be a perfect fruity surprise for her and that she'll love it as much as I do.

Ooooh. I was interested in this one because of the apple, and on first application, it comes off as spicy apple cider. Mmmm.

This disappeared quickly on me, sadly. The apple faded, but the scent became warmer, and the spice stayed. It's a lovely scent, the kind that makes you want to curl in front of a fireplace.

Really pretty, and very much an autumn-verging-on-winter sort of scent. I'd love to have a bottle of this.

In bottle: red delicious apples and dark green moss...it's both comforting and exotic at the same time.

Wet: a very light apple scent and damp, dark green leaves. The apple isn't sweet like most apple scented things...more like the skin of a ripe apple. The "green" component smells like a light juniper scent, a bit clean, a bit powdery, but not overbearing. I rather like this blend.

Dry: this is very much like a darker version of Eve. When I use all of that up, I'm probably going to spring for a bottle of this!

Edited by gangstaknitta

Verdandi

In the imp: herby apple. Green apple, with more 'greenness' thanks to the herbs.

Wet on skin: mmm, sharp crisp herbs…and there's a lovely sweetness surfacing.

Dry on skin: this is a very interesting scent. The herbs in here are quite sharp and fresh, and remind me very much of the Buck Moon herbal blend. And there's the apple, sweetened and made richer by a deep amber scent. Something about this reminds me of a fresh autumn day…I think it's those cool herbs coupled with the apple. It's an unusual scent but very nice.

After a while: this gets better and better. This now smells like apples covered with honey or brown sugar. That's the amber, but here it smells like sweet rich honey and brown sugar. There's still a herbal hint in the background. This is gorgeous!

Verdict: this is a wonderful scent which makes me think of autumn. It first has that same scent of crisp forest herbs that Buck Moon has, but over time, a delightful scent of honeyed, sugared apples come through-sweet apples and rich amber. this is a lovely scent to wear on those autumn days as it has a freshness that makes me think of windy autumn days, underscored by a sweet fruity warmth. An unexpectedly delicious scent. I loved Skuld and this is another Norn scent that I have fallen for. Now I'd like to try Urd!

An imp of this was given to me by a generous someone in a swap. At the time I received it, I did not remember it by name, or that it was on my wishlist, I just opened, sniffed, and was absolutely in love.

My impressions, having no idea what the specific notes were at the time, were that it was a perfect balance of a tree - the wood and the fruit, with a hint of herby smokyness.

I absolutely love this, and will almost certainly be ordering a big bottle, very soon...

I found that Verdandi smells like lush red apples in the imp. It brought back memories of Fall, picking apples to be canned. The herbs gave this oil a lovely "crisp" smell. On my skin, Verdandi could easily be the younger sister of Harvest Moon '05 with it's spicy apple notes. It's a really invigorating scent that is just ripe (no pun intended) for this season.

First on, Verdandi is a very perfumey apple. Most of BPAL's apple blends are more craft store than true apple to me. The amber in this surprisingly doesn't go to baby powder, but it lends a warm vibe to the fragrance.

That sweet, fake, perfumey apple dominates Verdandi. This doesn't strike me as an herbal fragrance... just a warm, perfumey 'apple.'

Edited by Blood onmy hands

in the bottle: Mmm, apples (or apple cider) and...chocolate?? Huh.

Wet: At first, the apples are front and center, sweet and spicy and wonderful, with the black amber (I'm assuming that's the "chocolate" I was smelling) backing it up. It quickly starts to go soapy on me, however - which is, sigh, usuallly what happens when "herbs" appear anywhere in the lab's description. Nuts.

Drydown: Ah, but the soapiness fades almost entirely away on drydown! And it's a nice long drydown, too, with the apple cider (definitely cider now) and the black amber (really does smell chocolatey) wafting through the background. Overall, I like Harvest Moon 05 better for the apple cidery smell, but at least when I run out I can turn to Verdandi, so long as the soapy stage continues to be relatively short.

Ah, how I love this scent... only it vanishes so quickly on my skin- why!

I was afraid of the "apple" description, thinking of a cheap apple scented body spray I had long ago... but this apple is rich and wonderful blended with a delicious incense sort of smoky smell- that makes it sound kind of yuck and heavy, but it's not. It's a fantastic scent- I only wish I could get it to last on me...

Wet: Apple and herbs, mixing in a way that makes me think dried apple not fresh apple.

Dry: yep, apple, a bit more juicy now, but not quite a freshly cut one. There are some bitter herbs behind but they just kind of make the apple more subtle for me rather than lending a bitter edge. This is nice, but it's too plain apple for me to want to wear any more then maybe once a year or so in spring or summer, the imp will be plenty.

Wet this is white florals and grapes I think. When first on it smells like a fresh and clean floral with high, crisp notes. It's also a bit herbal like fresh cut grass and reminds me of springtime. After about 30 minutes it has sweetened nicely and smells like yellow apples. It reminds me of The Hesperides. This is feminine and pretty but I don't need to keep it.

the apple and the black amber blend really well together. Its almost chocolately, but then the apple fades and I'm left with this great woody/ amber smell. It kind of reminds me of Buck Moon. I really love this

Edited by SeaMonkey

Got this as a frimp and oh am I ever so glad that I did! It's a very clean, fresh smell. The apples and herbs are definitely dominant on me; I haven't picked up the amber yet at all, but then I haven't been practicing my nose on amber much lately :P My husband likes it, too, but he only thought it smelled like soap or shampoo :-P

this is a real tart, juicy apple fragrance - i think of yellow-green apples, almost like anjou pear too. it is a bright, clear scent - the apples are mixed with spice, but not foody, apple-pie spices...more like perfumey incensey spices. verdandi stays as it is, from wet to dry - sharp, acidic (but not in a bad way), a bit of a woodsy apple...almost apple *sauce* with a bit of wine and lemon thrown in. it is an energizing, uplifting scent - feels like a daytime scent to me, outdoorsy, not particularly sultry or anything. would be good in autumn, as some have mentioned, but to me, it reminds me of spring! refreshing.

In the bottle: Green apple, amber and... socks? Hee, I'm getting the same thing as in Thunderbird. I'm guessing it's a kind of herb, and I know it won't smell like that on the skin.

Wet: This warms up very fast with the amber, bringing out a scent of spicy apple. The apple smells very crisp and green.

Drydown: Myrrh?! I have the impression that there's something similar to it, or a similar dark spicy scent, maybe it's the amber. The apple has gone away now, deep into the background, but it's not disappeared - it's become an apple tree giving off a scent of wood, leaves and fruits. It changes, sometimes the wood is cold and dank, sometimes warm and dry. There's a dark floral which I think is violet or violet leaves, too.

Overall: I was expecting an apple smell, but this isn't a straight up apple at all. It's a blend that reminds me of the outdoors in the winter, when everything smells sharp, but occasionally gets warmed up by a ray of sun. It's not wildly fruity, there's even a floral hint in the tangy mix. It's generally discrete and morphing... "becoming", right? I picture it as dark green and rich.

Clean, crisp, juicy, ozoney. Wonderful!

But sadly, another to add to my long list of scents I like that don't like me. Now sitting here sneezing and dripping, despite having washed this off to the best of my ability. Damn alleriges!

Disclaimer: I always note my initial impressions before looking at the Lab's description. I'm not insisting that the notes I detect are in the scent.

In the vial: Pear and cucumber. Nice!

Wet: More cucumber, and some green, growing things. Maybe ivy?

Drydown: Wait, is that vetiver? The pear and cucumber notes have morphed into peach.

Dry: Wow, looking at the description, I was way off. What I thought was vetiver was actually amber, and I totally do not get apples from this, either in the vial or on my skin. For some reason, this reminds me a lot of Marquise de Merteuil. I get that same feeling of a cool, distant beauty.

Later: Man, I love this perfume. It's got some of the best throw I've experienced from BPAL scents, and makes me feel happy just like Fruit Moon does. What's really amazing is that the fruit keeps the amber from going powdery on me, as amber is wont to do. Verdandi came as a frimp with my last order, and I'm ordering a bottle, if Elizabeth hasn't banned me from the store yet.

Verdandi = :P

Whereas the The Hesperides is an earthy red apple plucked straight from the tree, Verdandi is a tart green apple polished to perfection and placed in the middle of a elegant, gourmet fruit basket. Great throw, great longevity, and the amber in the drydown is just gorgeous. It reminds me a bit of Brisingamen, but the apple note is more pronounced. I'll be getting a bottle, definitely. :D

My first review!

I got this as a freebie in my first order. I would never have thought of trying this, but I was pleasantly surprised with it.

In the vial: The only thing I smell is herbs, with a very faint hint of apple.

On skin: Oooh, this is nice. I love the apple-y scent. That said, it doesn't overpower the other notes at all. This is really well-blended. I've never smelled black amber, but I can pick it out immediately. Odd.

This makes me think of the time of year where summer starts to turn into fall. It's very... Appalachian, if that makes sense.

Unfortunately, in less than half an hour this scent's turned to what must be the powder/soap smell people sometimes complain about. It's not unpleasant, though - it kind of reminds me of scented lye soap. I really miss the apples.

Maybe if I wear it on my clothes, it won't turn into soap?