Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lucretia

Verdandi

Deep herbs and apple with black amber.

I know I've totally smelled these in the wrong order, but to me, this is Snow, Glass, Apples without the snow part -- it's appley, but not sharp and cold, more like a bushel of green apples sitting out in the garage.

Oh, WOW. Apples!! Very sweet apples. Billions of them. Good thing I love apples.

ETA: But I now remind myself of a candle shop. The apple has turned on me. Bad apple!

Edited by voodoocatwoman

in the imp: red apple.

wet on skin: fake red apple, like a glade room spray. :(

dry down: same, only stronger. much stronger.

in all: the apple in Snow Glass Apples was beautiful, true and real. this, on the other hand, is more the apple of a cheap candle in a drug store.

i'm sad. :cry2:

Mmm! The black amber is really making this for me. I'm getting apples, a peppery herbal smell and the amber, which is making it dark and delicious. I think I'll be reaching for this one more often than Poisoned Apple, my former go-to apple scent.

In the imp: It reminds me of green apples surrounded with the right amount of crushed herbs and something dark lurking in the background

On skin, the apple scent disaappears and all that is left is an overwhelming dark herbal scent. :(

4 words: Citrus Magic Air Freshener.

Now don't get me wrong, I love this. And it's a good deal more intricate and lovely than an all-natural air freshener. But I take a whiff, and I am instantly transported to my guest room in my old condo, smelling the air freshener I used to keep near the cat's litterbox. Sigh, that sounds bad. But really, it's not...it reminds me of when things were clean and in order, and warm afternoons playing videogames and snuggling with my kitty girl back when I was her favorite human. It's a good association and a lovely scent. Really :).

This scent is very straight forward on me. Light herbs with a touch of bitter apple (not sweet apple or fruity apple, it's bitter and has a sharp "tangy" quality to it). Interesting - I don't think I could wear this as a personal scent, though I think it might make a nice room spray!

This is really sweet at first, almost more melon-y than apple-y. It settles down in a few minutes to a soft apple scent, but so faint that I have to mash my nose into my arm to smell it.

Half an hour later, poof! It's gone. I guess it works on a metaphorical level. The present is fleeting, after all! But for apple goodness, I'll be sticking with my beloved Poisoned Apple, which sticks around longer and has more throw on me.

ETA: Retested 12/3/12. I've figured out what this smells like--lotus! This reminds me of that bubblegummy lotus note, though i have no idea why I'm getting that. The other dominant note is a spicy amber. The apple isn't really coming out at all. It's more like a thought of apple, like someone showed a picture of an apple to the lotusy note and the spiced amber. I am actually beginning to wonder if apple notes just don't stick around well in the aging process, because the apple is mostly gone from my Les Bijoux too. Verdandi is fresh and juicy and pretty nice, actually, but I don't think it's doing (on me) quite what it's supposed to be doing. 3/5.

Edited by lady_pandora

Sniffing the imp, it's apples and herbs.

Much the same once applied to my skin...the amber is quite subdued here. Mostly green herbs and apple.

A green apple infused with herbs with something musky sweet (the black amber?) lurking in the background. That is how Verdani smells like during wet stage. On drydown, the black amber note surfaces and the apple note isn't obvious, making the scent herbal musky sweet. The throw is stronger too. While I like the scent during the wet stage, I love the drydown stage. :D

In the bottle: Transparent yellow in color. Scent.. Hmm.. Sweet herbal.

Wet on skin: I can't really identify different notes.. Lemongrass? No, I don't think so.. Something sweet and faintly minty.

Upon re-reading lab description: Yes - deep herbs and apple sounds about right. It's a faint apple, though, not APPLE!, for which I am glad. It's hidden in the background of the herbs.

Mom comment: After two sniffs she still couldn't identify any notes, but thought it was "very nice".

On the drydown: Hmm.. I think I smell the amber. Sort of musky and slightly spicy. The apple faded away completely. It's a very nice, dark scent. I like it!

In the Imp: I can smell a lot of apple, and it’s definitely sweetened by amber. Generally fruit scents are love for me, but I hope it won’t get too sticky sweet compared with how nice and clean it seems now.

Wet: This amped up about 150% with the herbs careening to the foreground and giving the apple a lot more pizzazz. It reminds me a lot of how a hardcore candle store smells. There’s a lot of scents mixed in there, but it still gives off a homey feel because it’s familiar. This did remain a clean scent. Sort of like an apple cinnamon bake… well, candle.

Dry: Starting to smell greener and foresty on the drydown. I like it more this way, doesn’t feel bogged down by the numerous scents vying for attention. This reminds me of wintertime and Christmas, a family sharing the experiences they’ve gathered over the past year while a fireplace burns and gently heats a bundle of herbs on the mantelpiece. Not at all unpleasant.

Verdict: I like this. Not on me, but I like this. A pretty scent, fairly gender-neutral and inviting, but with a hint of the forest’s shadowy allure. A few members seem to feel this is a spring scent, but personally I think it’ll work wonders for anyone searching for a taste of fall/winter.

Rating: 2/5

In the imp: YUM! Hello, gorgeous green apple! Yup, apple and herbs, just like the description. I do slightly get that foreboding dark amber underneath, though. Not a bad thing.

Wet: More complex. The presence of the herbs is starting to even out with that of the apple. Very fresh, very green. Goodness, this is lovely. Grassy around the edges. I've used DKNY Be Delicious in the past and in the weit stage this is reminiscent of that but a bit more grown up to me. The amber's starting to warm things.

Dry: Less sharp, warmer with increasing development of the herbs and amber. More like slightly spiced apples now :) I get a vibe that this will fade quickly, though, so probably not a bottle purchase.

Brighter and sharper in the imp, slightly subdued with warm spices on the skin.. but truly apple ;) Great to layer with autumnal scents, especially St. John's Eve!

Once applied, I get a sharp herbal scent with the sweetness of apple peels. It's not very juicy, and it's actually a bit manly! The amber isn't too sweet, the apple is a bit dry, and the herbs are sharp. It's nice, but not for me.

Verdandi

In the Vial: Appley. Really discerning, huh? Heh.

Wet: Hm, there's that herabally/ bitter element I've seen in other reviews.

Drydown: Fades fast. Powdery now. Powdery? Ohhh, the black amber. I don't think I'm liking this black amber. Hm.

Verdict: Not really for me. Not a bad blend, but not great either.

I love the smell of apples. This does not smell like apples to me while it's in the imp. After the first unfavorable sniff I set it aside in my 'sniff later' group. Came across it today and upon first snif remembered that my initial impression was of wet dog. I wish I smelled the wonderful apples everyone else smells.

In the interest of fairness I put a little dab on the back of my hand. It stayed wet dog for about 30 seconds and then changed to craft store cinnamon-apple and about two minutes later faded away into a very faint apple. What a weird eperience. I realize that I'm the only one who has a bad association with the scent out of the imp, so it's obviously a weird nose-glitch on my part.

Edited by strahlend

On the skin: Apples!! And something strange..... must be the black amber? Or the herbs? It is starting to smell like apples with a bit of pine mixed in. Not too bad actually. Huh, I am really not sure what to think about this one.

Everyone gets apple, I don't smell apple. It smells herby, like The Apothecary, and sweet like bubblegum. It's SUPER familiar and almost nostalgic but I have no idea why. I have a feeling I'm recognizing a note from a commercial air freshener or shampoo from a million years ago. It smells good but I'm ambivalent because it just reminds me of something and it's bothering me to figure out what.

The more I smell it the more I think bubblegum, maybe Juicy Fruit? Very strange!

In the imp: Soapy tutti-frutti. No black musk here! Fruit and strange herbs.

Wet: Magnolias and green apples. Don't know where I'm getting the magnolia from. I don't get any sort of herby or black musk smell. It smells bright and clear and heady. I love it!

Dry: Musky fruit. The heady, sweet magnolia smell fades, and it's just apple musk.

Overall: I just sat there sniffing my wrist for about an hour because I love this scent! Well, for the first hour, when it smelled like green apple magnolias! Then, it became fruit musk, which I don't really like the smell of (anything musky, really). This is a strange scent as well, because it smells different from imp to drydown. Morphs very much. I will definitely use my imp, and keep reapplying to get that 1 hour of goodness, but don't know if I'd get a bottle.

Wet: Bitter, musty herbs with an undercurrent of aggressively shiny red apples.

Dry: Amber, amber, amber, oodles of sweet powdery amber rubbed all over bushels of apples. The bushels are padded with oodles of dried old herbs of questionable medicinal properties. After a while the herbs stop being creepily musty/dusty/dismal and start being, well, clean and soapy. The apples, meanwhile, grow progressively faker and more like toxic candy or over-sweetened room spray.

Overall: The amber is just the wrong flavor for me, these herbs aren't doing it for me, and the apples are not helping at all. Soapy sweet apple candy powder? No thanks. I usually hate apple scented things, so... fruit salad lovers, take my review with a grain of salt.

While most fruit notes tend to disappear on me within a matter of an hour or less, I've found that apple lasts longer, and that I quite like the way it smells. I also quite like amber, so those were reasons enough to try Verdandi.

In the imp: Soft apple, more sweet than tart, and amber.

Wet on skin: A smooth mix of apple and amber with a very slight herbal edge.

Drydown: Freshly dry, the apple seems more tart now, as well as more prominent. The amber is still there, but is more of a backdrop. I do get a gently herbal/spiced element to this, but I canʻt quite pick out what the herbs specifically are. At one hour in, the apple has mellowed back to something sweeter, and blends very nicely with the amber. The herbs are still indistinct in terms of specifics, but also still definitely there.

Five hours later: Amber is definitely the main note going on now. There's an edge of a fruity sweetness to it, but that's not particularly prominent. The herbs have also faded to near nothing.

End of the day: Faint amber.

Overall: This smells something like a summery relative of Fearful Pleasure, though that may just be the combination of apple and spices/herbs. The amber really helps it stick around and stay fresh. I like this one, and think it'll work well on days that are warm (but not too hot). I'll keep the imp around!