Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
violetblue

Corazon

The scent of divine mercy, pulsating and throbbing through the heart of every living creature. Glorious red musk and a halo of golden amber with a touch of wet mango, lavender, and purple sage.

Whoa mama! The red musk and amber send me into headache land. I'm frequently finding that this happens with a lot of BPAL scents--I far prefer the skin scent stage many scents go to once they've settled down. Will I feel the same with Corazon? Read on and find out! Anyway, initially, this is primarily a wafty red musk with a bit of amber (maybe it's less the red musk than the lavender that makes this so heady?). It takes a few hours for this to settle down, but in the middle stage, the red musk is more bearable, slightly sweeter, and smells like there's some spices and sandalwood (or a white wood) in the midst of it. After six hours, there's a tad bit of red musk, a little mango, some spices, and a tad bit of lavender (tiny, tiny bit). I like the skin scent much better than the initial application stage. (Sorry if that was a bit anti-climactic).

I would have never ordered this had I not been told by UltraViolet that this "smells like New Mexico." That was enough for me to risk the red musk (I had no idea I liked musk at the time) and amber (can be weird and powdery on me sometimes) in order to get at the sage and lavender. This is my smack-me-in-the-face sagebrush laden instant trip to the desert, which is exactly what I wanted it to be. Corazon morphs a lot depending on where I put it. The mango kind of fades, and I wish it stuck around a bit more, as the sage, much like the real shrub, can get a little heady and bring on a headache. But it's worth it for the feeling of being in the desert. I really like wearing this in the crooks of my arms with long sleeves, since this seems to keep the juicyness around a bit longer. Overall I get desert and a bit of mango salsa and that makes me happy. Like with the other Oblations, I'm so glad I managed to nab a bottle of this one at the last minute.

i can't decide if corazon is a bright scent, or a dark scent. the mango is a mouthwatering, juicy scent when this is wet. almost overwhelming. but the fruit fades as this dries, and the dry herbs come to the forefront. i can't pick out the lavendar or sage specifically, but it is definitely herbs. as it settles, it becomes a beautifully blended scent.

what i get with corazon is a feeling, that feeling of isolation and desolation that i get in the desert, the longing that comes from being able to see from horizon to horizon. the color of this scent is a pinkish orange, that color that i get to see sometimes at sunset.

i love corazon, but forget to wear it much. which just means that when i do remember to pull it out, i get to be re-amazed all over again.

On first application, this is mango and lavender on me, sweet and subdued. As it dries, I get a hint of the musk, and an herbal note that balances the sweetness. The amber, I think, lends a warmness to the overall blend. There's a touch of spice as well, which is perfect.

This is a complex and beautiful blend, but it's much too delicate on me, I think--close to the skin and faint.

First whiff: A bit herby/medicinal, with a soft waft of flowers (??) underneath.

Drydown: The medicinal/flowery vibe keeps on, with just a teeny tiny hint of mango. I was hoping for tropical fruit extravaganza, but this sure isn't it - apparently, my skin is making the lavender and sage stampede absolutely everything around them.

Actually, it reminds me quite a bit of the herbal note in the Voodoo oils with, at the end of the drydown, a slightly powdery note similar to white sandalwood (I assume it's actually the red musk, but it smells nothing like the red musk in Scherezade or Spellbound).

Verdict: Meh. Not what I was expecting at all.

6.5/10

Drool! I love this scent. Seriously love it. What to have it's babies love it. The dry desert sage and lavender is sweetened by the ripe juicy mango. Delish. :P I keep smelling something good throughout the day today and I would keep stopping and realizing that it was me! I would get a whiff of something sage and juicy and go, "damn who smells so good?" It is sad when your own scent turns you on.

Rating (out of 5)

5+ baby!

Whoa juicy mangos! Fresh, fat perfectly ripe mangos! After that, there is a medicinal/flowery sage undertone with hints of something bitter (maybe the musk?).

I love this scent, but it really burns my skin and doen't really smell good as a room scent...

Off to the swaps.

This was such an interesting scent. The red musk and amber were the definite top notes, but over time it went through a sweet, juicy-mango sage, and then eventually boiled down to a dark, smoky blend of sage and lavender. It's somewhat dark and incensual, but the fruity stage makes it glow. Nice!

Corazon is a musky version of Lampades in my opinion. I'm not exactly sure what the note is that they share, but Corazon is a smokier.. deeper, musky version of Lampades. What my attraction is to Corazon can be satied by Lampades till I find myself a bottle. It's sweet, but dulled.

However, the dulling muskyness does dull the longevity. ; ;

In the vial it is a strong smell, with the sweetness of the mango shining through, quite deep and fruity. On my skin this has a slightly sharp smell, though it becomes more rounded with some lavender and mango peeking through the rest of the notes. I can't smell it very well after a few hours, as it fades quite quickly compared to some of the others. My mother liked it, so she can smell something even though it's too faint for me to pick up any more - she says it reminds her of a perfume she can't find any more. I can just detect the red musk overlayed with a faint sweet note, but little else after a few hours. It's a very gentle scent.

Edited by kunoichi

Corazon - On my skin, this smells like fruit tea and wood pulp. I was really surprised when I read the description and saw there was no wood in it. The fruit scent is obviously the mango, but I couldn't discern any of the other notes, even after I knew what they were. The scent is neither pleasant nor unpleasant. To me, it's sort of neutral. It's not something I'd be interested in wearing again. It's very subtle and sticks really close to the skin and at least on me, has virtually no throw. I can't smell it unless I stick my nose right up to my arm. It does, however, have really great staying power, and I'm really impressed with how long it lasts on my skin.

This smells a lot like my garden in front of my house, the purple sage and the lavender. The musk and the amber give it a smoky creamy note on my skin and it smells a bit like sandalwood. The mango peeks through and gives it a bright fruity note. This is beautiful and earthy and I can almost see those donkeys walking past.

This was available long before I discovered BPAL, but I was fortunate enough to locate a bottle. I will be donating directly to Safe Haven For Donkeys in the Holy Land so that I can be part of the cause and also because I just love donkeys.

In the Bottle: Fruity musk, and sage. It's a sweet smudge stick!

On Application: At first, I can smell the fruitiness, but almost immediately, sage and lavender takes over. Almost as quickly as it wafted though my nostrils, musk makes itself known. Interesting. After 5 minutes, it's mostly mango, with a faint touch of musk.

On Drydown: Fruity! Very fruity. But it's an earthy kind of fruity, and not overwhelming. There's a faint touch of incensy scent to this, which I think helps keep the mango from being overwhelming.

Comments: I didn't think I was going to like this because of the strong fruit scent on application. On drydown, however, this has turned quite lovely.

Verdict: Keep.

What the heck? Mine smells like nothing like anyone else is describing..

Dare I say what I truely smell in this fragrance?

It smells like Tia Gloria making some delicious Mexican Food in a hot kitchen. Kid you not. I smell that Chile Pepper Powder that little kids eat.. and Enchiladas lol

Maybe my decant was off, but I'm serious this is what I smell.

In the bottle: Red musk, lavender, and sage? Um... ew.

Wet: Red musk, and then lavender takes over, followed closely by amber and the classical plasticky sage.

Drydown: Lavender and red musk. Again with the "ick", I really don't like red musk. I think I get the mango, a little bit - it's a very discreet sweet fruity scent that comes over the other two, at times. Strangely, though, the blend smells purple. The sage wafts out from time to time, a little spicy and fresh.

Overall: A weird blend, and not one for red musk haters. It has its sickly sweet red musk/fruit moments, and smells a bit like one of those new-agey shops that smell of incense, patchouli and herbs. I like the shops, but I find the smell really too invasive for me. It's sort of warm and welcoming, but nothing I'd like to smell like. To me it's pretty nauseating, generally.

Red musk, mango, and lavender work shockingly well together. The overcome my nemesis of amber. The sage is present, too, adding a green sort of spiciness to the mix. So so good. It smells like the Southwest. I'll be happy to let my mother sniff it (she wants to move to New Mexico), but I think I want to keep my imp, and she's allergic to sage anyway.

In the bottle: red musk and amber are the only notes I pick up from the bottle.

On my skin: both the red musk and amber back off and a sweet, juicy-mango sage appears and sticks around for about an hour adding such an uplifting feel to this scent. I'm surprised to even smell mangos when I never even smelled them from the bottle!

Drydown: this calms down after an hour to a smoky sage with hints of fruit here and there. I never did smell the lavendar, which surprises me as its always such a strong note to my nose. I agree with another poster that the fruity stage 'makes it glow'. :P

Edited by The_Witching_Hour

I thought for certain I'd be in love with this one. Musk, amber, mango, lavender-- what's not to love? Unfortunately, it just does nothing for me. It isn't bad, it just seems like a jumble of indifferent notes to me. A little sweet, a little musky, a little nothing special on my skin.

Off to the swaps or perhaps frimp pile. I hope someone loves it more than I do.

My imp of this has the consistency of syrup -- delicate, dusky-red syrup. I almost want to keep it for the shade alone.

IN THE IMP it smells like... red musk. but fruity red musk, with overtones of sage. I like red musk, but I have three scents with it already, and it tends to stomp all over everything else...

WET ON SKIN it smells like fruity red musk with lavender, which quickly dries down to... lavender and sage. What do you know, the red musk is actually taking a relative back seat in this blend.

DRY I get lavender and mango. and sage. But not aggressive, dry sage -- it's sweetened by the mango. The mango is actually quite prominent, but not to the point of juiciness -- I'm normally put off by sweet, fruity blends and this is quite nice. It stays pretty true on me, a lavender-mango blend with a warm red musk backdrop that wafts up from my wrists. It has good throw but isn't obnoxious.

Unfortunately, when I'm in the mood for a warm scent there are things I have bottles of that I can reach for, and it's not worth this imp's time to keep something so rare when it'll gather dust. I'll pass it on, but it's quite a nice blend -- not, however, something I am gaga for. Maybe someone will swap me for some Ice Queen or Ingenue...

I've been curious about this one for a long time (the Oblations came down just about the same time I got into BPAL), and finally got a decant at the last Toronto meet'n'sniff.

It's a very pleasant scent. I wasn't sure if the mango would work on me, but it seems like red musk (I'm one of those red musk lovers) can make fruit notes succeed more or less. Fruity red musk in the early stages, with, as others have noted, an oddly woody note -- I suspect that's the sage. Dries down into mostly sage and lavender. There's something about it that seems a bit masculine to me.

I like this, but it's definitely much simpler and less nuanced than Beth's more recent LE blends.

In vial: lavender, sage, and fruit that must be the mango.

wet: Oh this IS pretty. The fruit disappears. Sage, lavender, and musk are the dominant notes. It's very complex, with scents fading in and out.

Drydown: The lavender is threatening to turn soapy. The mango is keeping this fruity while the musk is adding richness and depth. I think I'll hang onto this!

Mmmmm Corazon!

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this scent yet.

Warm pulsating blood, slightly sweet at the beginning with a peppery tang at the end.

Love me some Corazon!

What surprised me most about this was how subtle and 'quiet' it is. It doesn't disappear on my skin, but it's very subtle to me and I'm not sure the people around me could even smell it. I wore it twice this weekend to the Gay Pride festivities, and just enjoyed having it around me. It's a warm, glowing, reddish orange scent. I didn't have internet around me so I forgot what exactly was in Corazon. And really, even after reading the description, I couldn't pick out any of that. I guessed that musk was in it, and I remembered that it had mango, but nothing really stands out above the whole blend.

Did I mention that I really like it? I'll definitely be wearing this again in more intimate situations. I think it would be a good 'second or third date' scent.

In the imp: Mango! :D

On Skin: Juicy, delicious mango. :P

On Drydown: SAGE attack! It's the most predominant note. I get a whiff of lavender, and in the background, almost beat to submission is the glorious mango.

Oh come back mango, I so miss you.

Now sage and mango co-exist in a very strange harmony.

Verdict: Unfortunately sage always makes me think of Italian cooking, and pizza. And therefore, my head thinks cheese. So Corazon ends up being a mango pizza. I get this initial impression of pizza, and if I inhale strongly enough I get that gloriously lovely scent of mango.

Oh Corazon, you are breaking my heart. :D

[And yes, for you Spanish speakers, that's really ironic]