Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
violetblue

Corazon

CORAZON

Proceeds go to Safe Haven For Donkeys in the Holy Land. The scent of divine mercy, pulsating and throbbing through the heart of every living creature. Glorious red musk and a halo of golden amber with a touch of wet mango, lavender, and purple sage.

I can't believe I am the first to review this one.

It is truly breathtaking, and I will be getting a 5ml of it next order - I am kicking myself for only getting an imp of it.

At first sniff, I was reminded a bit of Red Moon, which made me swoon. The red musk and amber mesh together amazingly well and the sweetness to it is to die for. Sophisticated and complex, I see this becoming a signature scent for me.

Beth outdid herself once again. :P :D

This came in a bottle with a different orange label on it (at least that's what I hope it is, as I can't read the label). This is one of those BPAL scents that is truly unique and it takes a while to "wrap your head around it" so to speak. I was afraid to buy this because red musk goes funky on me at times, but I don't think this will be a problem. I just tested this on my hand and it is really lovely. Wet, it's slightly fruity and then it goes a little warm and smoky with a the purple note in the background. I'm not familiar with purple sage, but I get images of purple sniffing this...as I think the lavendar and purple sage create that image. When it dries down a bit, it stays strong (good thing) but yet it the intensity backs off just a bit and I get a slight peppery feel from it. I'm not sure what creates this, but this is truly unique and I think I'm really going to enjoy it after I wear it a few times.

Corazon

The description of the scents used to create this blend was enough to sell me on Corazon. Then I went to read up on the donkeys and just damn near lost it. I'd have purchased a bottle for that reason alone. I suppose it's a selfish, first world sort of thing to say, but how lucky I am to be able to contribute a bit of cash to charity and smell so damned good in the process. :P

In the bottle it smells sweet and fruity, with a definite depth to it. Once I put it on, it did remind me a touch of Red Moon, but a little less sugary. It's a touch smoky and the amber gives it a much dryer sweetness than the dragon's blood or whatever it was in red moon.

This is a GORGEOUS scent. Sweet and lightly smoky. The red musk is the definite leader of the blend, but everything else goes in with it so nicely. It's really quite sexy.

And the label on the bottle is lovely.

I committed this imp to the Oblation Caravan. Must. share. the. preciouss. *sigh. If I order it right now, that'll make three orders in a single day.

Only Beth (and The Lab) could create a scent as lovely as this.

The mango is evident--but hidden behind a veil of red musk.

In time, the mango lightens and I'm able (just barely) to detect the florals.

I probably won't do it tonight, but I will be ordering a big bottle.

Someone commented recently that the problem with so many of the BPAL scents is that one grows tired of using the words "unique," "different," and "holymolyhowdoesBethDOthat?" Indeed, that is becoming a problem for me, as everything I think a Black Phoenix scent couldn't possibly surprise me, it does just that, with interest.

I received an imp of this as a gift with my last order, which is cool: it allows me to go straight to the ordering of a big bottle without any doubt as to whether or not I'll like the fragrance itself.

In the Imp: Sweet, but not cloyingly so. Fruity, with a definite mango smoothness.

Wet, on skin: Oh, it's rather hard to describe this, except to say that the red musk is lovely and rich, the amber sweetens without overpowering, and the mango, sage and lavender notes frolic and play around the sides.

Dry, on skin: The scent mellows and matured, but loses none of its playfulness. This is really a very joyful, happy scent, without being cutsie or girlish. The red musk is never morbid, and all the ingredients work well together. It dries to a lovely finish of musk and amber that is extremely beautiful.

Conclusion: This is a lovely fragrance with excellent staying power, good throw and undeniable appeal. My sister owns miniature donkeys, so I would have ordered it eventually but I think I can safely speed up the time table on a big bottle for her as a present.

TMI ~ My period is freshly over, and this is the first time I've tried this oil.

Bottle ~ A deep, luscious, sweet berry scent. if red wine tasted the way this oil smells, I'd forgo Moscato D'Astis in the name of better health. Hm. It's been years since I've had Sangria -- perhaps that's what I'm picking up on, a sweet, rich Sangria.

Wet ~ Sweet, red and incensey, all at once! If you've ever been in a new age or Middle Eastern/African shop in a Western city, you may have encountered the obligatory wooden stand of perfume samples. I've found that, ultimately, there's one that smells like this.

Drying ~ All three notes are morphing together and smoothing out. I think the incense/resin note is what's giving Corazon a traditional perfume edge for me.

Drydown ~ It seems to be fading fairly fast, though I only swiped one wrist and rubbed them both together. Aha! I finally placed this stage of the smell: scented candles! I couldn’t tell you what type or brand, but this oil is definitely reminding me of sniffing around scented candle displays.

Dry ~ The berry wine and the resin/incense kept battling it out. It was like watching a storm pass. The lightning flashes are in the distance now and the thunder has faded in volume, but they're both still obviously going at it elsewhere.

Final thoughts ~ If this is the best of the Oblation series for me, I wouldn't feel cheated in buying a big bottle. If worse came to worse, I could wear it to wine shops and ask the stewards to "find me a sweet red that tastes the way this smells."

The burning heart on the label of Corazon is well-matched to the warmth and sweetness of the fragrance.

The opening notes for me are mango, and lavender, joined later by a peppery sage. Musk and amber make the blend glow. This is sweet without being sugary, and Corazon is something that I could wear comfortably throughout the day.

Hahaha, I thought that this was an experimental blend at first because Q_S got a bottle of it that wasn't identified, and it doesn't actually have the name on the bottle, so... Yeah.

My impressions of this scent are heavily dominated by the label on the bottle, which has a "sacred heart" design on it - you've probably seen it, a heart surrounded by a crown of thorns with a flame on top. I consider this a very Mexican/New Mexican symbol, though I may be mistaken.

In the bottle, this smells of wet fruit - not tart or sweet by any stretch, but definately juicy. I suspect that this is prickly pear, as it is very similar to the prickly pear note in Tenochtitlan. The blend is also slightly aquatic - but not salty at all. (Found out later that this was Mango)

On, this enhanced by something herbal and green, though I can't place the smell specifically. Then, the most amazing thing happens - I really do think that I smell CHILE in this blend. After making green chile stew tonight, I'm almost certain that there is some kind of chile pepper in this blend. It's strange, because the blend is soft and almost sweet, but there is a definate bite to it. Perhaps it's just my preconceived notions talking. (Sage, but I still suspect a bit of chile)

Lasts and fades for hours, ultimately becoming something remenicent of amber with a kick of chile. How fun, and beautiful! It's a shame that this one probably won't be coming out, because it is fantastically gorgeous! I lurve it!

AND NOW I CAN BE SUPER HAPPY BECAUSE I HAVE A BOTTLE COMING IN MY NEXT ORDER!!! YAY!!!

this one is wild! grapes and roses!. taht's exactly what it smells like wet.

as it dries, it smells like a good deep burgandy set in amongst greenery and roses.

i smell a bit of eucalyptus and pine and sugar. i'm not sure...but i think i like it. it's a definate happy purple scent. yep. i like it.

oh wow. completely dry it's soft, spicy and warm. and the only thing i can think of that matches this smell is a private library.warm and dry with leather, spice and a fireplace in the background and parchment. this could displace black cat as my favorite scent. no clue how it morphed that widely. but ...wow.

Edited by angelblue

Corazon is *beautiful*. It's all sunshine and heat and juicy fruit, with the muskiness underneath. Honestly, I'm not sure if I can wear it, because of the amber - it jumps right out on me and amber is, sadly, sometimes a migraine trigger for me. But I may have to try, because this blend is so lovely. I can't even really describe it, but it really suprised me. And this makes me think that I would love to smell the mango in something I knew I could wear - it's really delicious.

Unexpectedly mild for a blend containing red musk, a hint of mango, rather nice. Wearing, the red musk and lavender come out a little. This is softer and much prettier than I thought it would be: warm, rich and herby. Drying down, the sage comes to the fore, reminding me somewhat of Hunter Moon. The penny drops and I realise why Hunter Moon reminds me of roast dinners: sage stuffing!

I can't detect any amber at the moment, and the red musk and mango have faded leaving just the warm herbs.

I didn't put much on, just a dab to test, so I'll change the review if things differ when I wear it properly.

Being part Mexican, I was hoping my skin would like this one. Alas, it didn't. When I first applied it, I had high hopes, as I got a lovely fruity, musky scent. The mango was delicious and the amber was rockin'. Quite nice. Unfortunately, on the drydown, it turned into black pepper and pencil shavings. Wah. Then on the really dry, it turned to chili peppers. Argh. Up for swaps it shall go.

I bought a bottle of Corazon unsniffed because red musk/amber scents are usually spectacular on me (Spellbound, Fenris Wolf). Unfortunately, it joins Hollywood Babylon as the only red musk/amber scents that didn't work for me. The problem is that I can barely smell the red musk and amber (which was also the problem with Hollywood Babylon).

Mango dominates during the wet phase, and never really fades away as Corazon dries down. However, lavender emerges briefly, to be replaced by a peppery scent which I assume to be sage. The combination of mango sweetness and sharp pepperiness just doesn't do it for me. So unfortunately, this bottle will have to be sent to a more loving home.

Origin:

The Oblation Caravan. :D

Preconceived notions:

This was the main reason I wanted to be a part of the Caravan. I love donkeys and Corazon sounds absolutely gorgeous, but amber is finicky on my skin and (more often than not) turns into sour milk on me, so I'm really happy to get a chance to try this without having to buy a bottle unsniffed. :D

First sniff:

Mmm, this smells so good. I smell the musk, lavender and sage right off the bat with just a hint of mango in the background. It's perfectly balanced between herbal, musky and fruity. :P

Wet on skin:

Corazon is one of those scents that I literally can't smell on myself initially, which usually happens with musk blends. I can barely pick up a tiny, tiny hint of mango and sage and maybe lavender if I really strain my nose, but for all intents and purposes, Corazon is damn near impossible to smell when it's wet on my skin. Now that's my skin chemistry, mind you. It happens fairly often and then goes away just as suddenly.

Dry down:

There, Corazon has made a reappearance. Amber is definitely one of the more prominent notes in this, but so far it's behaving itself (I'm wondering if my skin is finally over its amber rebellion since it's been good about several amber blends lately), but the musk and sage are fairly prominent, too.

The bottom line:

I really like this a lot and I'm glad I got to try this because otherwise I never would have bought a bottle and now I'm seriously considering it. :D

Amber works well on me, as does lavendar, and I like sage and mangos. Red musk, on the other hand, can go either way. Some blends that have it I adore (Scherezade), others make me go "eww, stinky!" (Fenris Wolf).

As tempted as I was to buy a bottle of this, I knew I needed to try an imp first, so I bought one off the swap board. I'm glad I did, as this sort of falls in to the second catagory.

While it wasn't stinky in the bottle or while drying, just smelled like warm ambered mangos, after a little while all the lovely notes faded and I was left with just plain old red musk. Stinky.

I threw the imp in with a package for someone that I know that loved Fenris Wolf. Here's hoping she enjoys the poor little donkeys more than I did.

In bottle: Juicy wet amber. Almost fruity, like strawberry gummy candy. The mango and the sage are an interesting combination; toss lavender in and I didn't know what to expect.

On me: It's smokier on the skin. The amber and mango are still quite strong, and the fragrance is predominantly fruity. But the red musk and sage spice this up, addng depth but keeping the fragrance light and delicate. It's beautiful.

I tried Corazon and it was an unique experience. It smelled like fruit and fur on me. It reminded me a little of Cerebus in that respect. The two had different notes but conjured up the feeling of a creature, be it donkey or dog.

It didn't last very long on me. It tended to blend more at the end and smell more like a perfume and less than a donkey eating mangos, but it isn't something I would wear very often.

I like that "fur" smell though. If it was a bit stronger, I would go for it.

Another Hispanic here. *waves*

In the bottle

Fruity syrupy sweetness.

Wet

Fruity with the thick rich mango, thicker and sweeter still because of the warm golden syrupy amber.

The sage is coming through now. I was afraid of the sage but it really does alot to brighten this and save it from being cloyingly sweet.

I'm really surprised these go well together.

It is now reminding me of where I live in New Mexico...the cactus...the sage growing...

The lavender is out now and the blend as a whole has become a little sweeter and a little herbier, less fruity then it was initially. It's nice.

10 Minutes

Turned a bit perfumey and floral.

Still herby in the background.

Less sweet then it was awhile ago.

20 minutes

A nice blend of lavender, mango and a mere hint of sage.

Throw:

Medium

Scent category:

Fruity/Green-Herby

Summary

This blend is really alive and colorful but with a rich undertone because of the musk and amber.

Lasts an average amount of time.

I like this.

Purchase again?

An imp.

1-5 rating, 5 being best.

well, this definitely was Not My Thing. i think it's probably the musk. that makes me sad, i had really high hopes for some other scents that have musk in them and they probably won't work.

this had a little too much throw on me, and something (musk or mango, probably) smelled too sweet for my taste. i felt like i'd be overwhelming anyone i stood near.

it's a good scent, just.... not for me. too strong, too "perfume-y".

On me Corazon becomes a mango fiesta! I become Carmen Miranda laden with tropical fruits. It's a lovely scent but it's just not what I want to smell like.

I get an animal smell from the bottle, but not when I'm wearing it. Just a bin of mangoes. *shakes maracas*

In the bottle: Slightly fruit musk with traces of, yes, lavender. Lavender and I don't agree so I doubt this one will be the best blend ever, but I wanted to try it.

Wet: Mango. It's very nice on my skin if it would just stay at the mango with a slight musky note in the background. I'm not sure what purple sage smells like sp I haven't been able to pick it out, but the lavender isn't ruining the blend on my skin. Yet. I think the mango and sgae must be mixing because the smell if kinda fruit/herbal, and I know it's not the lavender. It kinda makes the back of my throat burn, though, soi I know that this is one blend I won't be purchasing for myself.

Dry down: Still has that mango/herbal thing going on with very little of the musk or lavender showing up. I think the amber is providing a nice base for the mango and the sage, though. This is probably mt favorite lavender blend so far, which only means that it's wearable. :P I have problems with lavender. Oh no...something's making me want to sneeze and that burning sensation is getting worse. Perhaps I'm allergic to the purple sage.

Dry: Mango with some kind of herbal and a little amber. Not as sweet and fruity as I had hoped but at least the lavender didn't turn it into total ick on my skin, which is always a possibility.

At first the mango is quite strong, mixed with amber and lavender.

Then the sage comes out just a bit and I can smell every note it has in.

It's a sweet and smooth fruity, juicy but not in a cloyingly way.

Lovely as a summer perfume, but just not my cup of tea. :P

ETA: thanks to the lab for adding this to my order!

Edited by quimerula

I absolutely adore this blend. On me, this is mostly red musk and sage. The lavender, amber, and mango are all detectable as individual notes, but they always play a supporting role to the red musk and sage. The sage was kind of wierd for me at first, but I've really grown to love the smell of it now. I want to try more blends with sage! And mango. Such unique notes, but I'm utterly in love with the way Beth blended them so perfectly in Corazon. :P So sad this one is being discontinued!!

ETA: Got this from Phaedrine, she knows me so well!!

Edited by Theravada

Corazon is my favorite of the Oblation scents so far. Maybe because it’s such a gorgeous pink color, or because the label has a beautiful sacred heart on it, or because it’s such a radiant blend of peppery, fruity, and herbal notes. The notes most prominent in the bottle are the mango and lavender.

After applying, it seems to spread out like a glow and positively waft from my person. It gives me a feeling of warmth and compassion when I wear it. Unfortunately, on my skin it does not last that long. But while it lasts, it is amazing! I will cherish the rest of my bottle and mourn the fact that it will soon be discontinued.