Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Inspired by and created for my beloved Tedwin: my eternal, beautiful, wicked Dorian Gray. Refined, elegant, and lovely, with a noble bearing and seemingly gentle air. This blend is an artful deception: a sweet gilded blossom lying over a twisted and corrupted core. A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

I am not sure what year my imp is from, as someone frimped it to me, but on my skin, this is just straight up lemony vaniulla tea with cream and sugar. i am not sure where the corruption dorian gray reference comes in as this smells so sweet and innocent, but then again, my skin is the black hole where scent comes to die unless it's made out of super heavy stuff, so it may just be me. that being said, i will definately be ordering a bottle now that it's back in stock for my daughter, and for days when i feel sweet and innocent, even though i'm not. oh, hey, maybe thats the point.

This is so lovely. It actually reminds me of a commercial perfume--a small sample of Eau So Sexy that I got from Victoria's Secret, no less. It has a similar sweet-citrus-floral composition.

On first application there's the strong scent of bergamot. As it dries, it becomes more subdued and sweet like a lemon pastry. There's vanilla in the background and a creaminess that's to die for. I can't place the floral but my nose isn't educated when it comes to floral notes. Some have said lavender and that may be right. It reminds me of a lavender and sandalwood laundry detergent I used to buy. There's a light, musky undertone but rather than in-your-face heavy incense musk, it's soft musk that balances the citrus and the tea. And this reminds me of something else--an earl grey creme that I get from a local coffee shop. I'm not complaining. These are ALL things that I love. It doesn't throw very far and it tends to fade rapidly, so I slather it on and reapply throughout the day.

This could easily be an everyday wear for me. I'm so happy that I have a bottle in the mail right now.

TLDR: earl grey creme in scent form

Edited by pigeonheart

I hope Mr. Gray accepts the position as my new boyfriend, because this ish is beautiful!

I was a little nervous to try this one seeing as I usually go for spicy scents, and I was worried about it being too masculine, but oh my God, it's wonderful. I believe the hype on this one.

Side note -- my bottle is very, very aged(probably around 10 years?).

Wet: Tea, and light musk.

Dry: Ohhhhh there it is. Sweet vanilla tea mingling with some musk. There's a lot of depth to the vanilla in this scent (I'm sure moreso because of how aged my bottle is), but somehow still manages to smell kind of "fresh". It's divine. Definitely wears close to the skin.

Not sure what year I received as I got this as a frimp, but I absolutely adore this and plan on buying a full bottle! I knew this was a popular scent but I was nervous about the description of sugared vanilla tea because I often find sweet/sugar/vanilla scented things too food-y. This, however, has completely changed my mind about buying some imps with sugar/vanilla notes and I'm really excited to try some more.

Everything is really well blended to me so that, in addition to me being new to picking out notes, is making it difficult for me to actually pick out the individual notes and describe this as anything other than soft, warm, and sweet. I'm not really picking up any lemon, which is good for me, but I can pick up a soft floralness underneath the sweetness (which in some ways is "too sweet" for me or I guess too sweet for what I usually go for in scents, but there is something about Dorian that just immediately made me go "Oh... this is perfect" so it's overriding some of my usual preferences).

Personally, this comes off as a very feminine scent. My coworkers mainly identify sweetness/sugar (I was described as smelling like Disneyland by one and cotton candy by the other, but not aggressively so). I love how long this lasts; for me it doesn't really change from in the bottle, to wet on the skin, to dry (fresh or 10 hours later). I'm writing this after a full day at work and I can still smell it as I type.

I wouldn't say there's a lot of throw though; no one has mentioned me wearing perfume when I don't usually wear scents. My coworkers who have offered their opinions only smelled it because I asked them for their opinions and had them sniff my wrist. I've only worn this for three non-consecutive days and it's already become a scent that I would describe as comforting. I love it!

Edited by little bee

Fun story - I've never reviewed Dorian. I've never tried Dorian. I've been into BPAL since like 2006 or something. I've read countless reviews and raves and people I'd consider scent twins and cousins rave about it. And I've just skipped along the sideline ignoring it all for whatever stupid reason.

So, Finally decided to sort and start trying out my growing, dusty GC collection. And MAN THIS IS AMAZING. 

Imp: Creamy leather.

Skin: Smooth creamy sweet vanilla with a lavender tea underneath.

Dry: ... I don't know how to describe this. Dark, warm, sweet, creamy. Tea is accurate. Musks take a little time to billow out - but they do. Vanilla musks. Lots of musks. It dances with this border of masculine and feminine that comes across fantastic. It makes it "unisex" but I'd describe it more as gender fluid. It plays with my brain a little bit. I fell asleep to this warm musky vanilla and I am in LOVE.

Verdict: Fuck - Beautiful. This is what I get for ignoring hype all this time. 

Buying with my next Lunar purchase.

I believe Dorian is one of Beth's greatest scent accomplishments. I remember a decade ago ordering it in my first imp pack and just being blown away. My first reaction was damn, this smells really good. And I remember thinking how unique and beautiful it was. At some point a year or so ago, I used up the last of my Dorian and got caught up in all the LE releases and never got around to replacing it. Until yesterday! It was like being reunited with a first love. I'm surrounded in a cloud of sugared vanilla tea swirling through an eloquent victorian fougere (magic?) with an underlying musk that is anything but over the top, but rather rounds out the scent perfectly. Sometimes I get a hint of lemon if I sniff really hard, but its so faint that I have to wonder if its there at all.

Simply put, Dorian is a masterpiece.

I don't know how I haven't reviewed this before, but I got a frimp of it with my Lilith/Weenie order, so. 

In the imp: Vanilla and sugar and something bright that's not citrus and not floral but evocative of a bit of both. 

On my skin:

Wet, it smells like the lemon bar I ate last night, very sweet and a bit lemon, but lemon baked good flavor (lemon extract?) rather than an actual wedge of lemon. As it dries, the lemony note recedes a bit to let the sugar and vanilla come forward even more. 

Much later, a hint of muskiness takes the overtly foodie edge off this, but it still remains fairly evocative of extra sugary lemon bars on me. It's quite pleasant, but it seems that my skin chemistry takes away from Dorian being a complete masterpiece. 

As for throw and wear length, it's an odd combination on me: The scent is very strong and long-lasting, but also very skin close. 

Got this for my husband but ended up loving it almost more than him! The dark sugared tea is the ruling scent through the entire wear on both of us, though on my husband the musk is a little more prominent, could be a skin chemistry thing, a male vs female skin thing, I'm not totally sure. I love wearing Alice while he wear Dorian, they blend together and compliment each other really well. Really radiates out for a few hours then dies down, but sticks on the skin for multiple hours.

I ordered an imp of this because I realized I'd never actually tried it, and was mildly amused when the package came with both my paid imp and an additional frimp.

But then I tried it...and I can see why they sent a backup. This is an absurdly lovely scent: filling but not foody, sweet but not cloying, warm and inviting. I'll certainly be getting a bottle once I run through both imps.

Heard of Dorian's fame for many years and was pleasantly surprised to see they had a good selection of BPAL GCs at Loved to Death in SF at the start last year, incl said Dorian. I've stopped getting BPAL fumes as I love them but bpal's strike rate on my skin is way higher than other brands; which together with long lead times and always missing out because it takes too long to get a sniff through decant circles, makes getting deeper into bpal not feasible for me. So being able to try before buying was irresistible, esp since I'd forgotten to bring my perfume with me while traveling so I had the perfect excuse ;-p. Of the 20+ fumes I tried this was one of a couple that worked on me. I like it but tbh I think it's a little overrated, at least on me. as I don't get much of the tea (which is one of my fav notes!) or leather or fougere. Rather it's a synthetic musk bomb with some indeterminate vanilla citrus (not quite lemon, more like lemon candy) sweetness on my skin. It's nice but cloying, I love Mother Ghost so much more, the notes in that are much clearer, esp the lemon and tea whereas the musk in Dorian gives it this Turkish delight or cotton candy character, ie generic sweet candy redolent of imaginary fruit. I enjoy wearing it when I'm in the mood but I don't think it's amazing, it's definitely a feel good scent though. Agree with others re: good longevity that stays close to the skin after about 45 mins. If you like sweet foody leaning scents and musk you'll love this one. 

At first smell I couldn’t figure out what the notes were. On the skin the lemon and tea cake through. It’s sweet but not too sweet. You’d notice if someone was wearing this but not in a bad way in a where was that, let me have that kind of way. I I’ll definitely be wearing this one all day!!  

In the Imp: Sugared lemons! Or lemon candies.

On Me: Tea sweetened with sugar and lemonade! A really sweet scent but subtle, I think I should have put more on. On me, the scent definitely doesn't last long, maybe 4 hours? I can barely smell it on my wrist and all I get from it is sugar with a splash of tea.

I like it, but I have to put on more than I usually do with the other BPAL scents I've tried so far. Also not a fan of the short wear time it had on me. Would like a bottle or hair gloss in the future, but I want some other scents more. I think this would work well in the summertime.

One of my favorites.

Wet it is vanilla and something citrusy. 

In the dry down I'm getting vanilla cookies with lemon sugar on top but in the best way. It basically stays that way throughout the day and it lasts pretty long on me. 

The imp I used for this review was aged for about 10 years so my review might differ from reviews by others of the freshly bought scent.

I smell something lemony but not strong lemon like in some perfume oils. I smelled something sweet and floral that reminds me a lot of elder flower. There is sweet muskyness and vanilla and it is a beautiful blend of all of that.

I can't pick out the tea note individually but it does round out the scent very nicely. It is sweet, fresh, floral and musky and a little mysterious. Fairly strong throw and weartime. 

Definitely a favourite, and now my imp is all used up there is a bottle of Dorian on my wishlist.

Like all BPAL scents I feel this is great for all genders, nothing is masculine or feminine, it is whatever and however it makes you feel. In the same way all BPAL scents are also innocent and sensual at the same time because it depends on the wearers personality, mood and vibe. And it is suitable for all ages (most BPAL scents are in my opinion, perhaps only the ones with alcoholic notes and tobacco/smoke notes are not).

I was holding off on testing this imp because I was afraid I'd fall in love and I did. :cry2:

Wet, it's a strong, sweet vanilla reminiscent of the vanilla in Snake Oil. Instead of being mixed with vegetal musks, though, there's a lovely tea note swirled in. Dry, the tea note becomes more prominent, keeping the vanilla from being too sweet. It's very balanced and quite lovely.

Man oh man oh man. I was expecting this to be my new favorite and signature scent and i was RIGHT. This is one of the sexiest things i’ve ever smelled- an initial warm hug of lemony tea and vanilla on skin, sweet and delicate, then it just blooms into a sugared musk with a tiny bit of… lavender? pine? something inviting and masculine. All of the elements are so perfectly balanced, and the vanilla tea aspect is subdued enough upon dry down that anyone of any gender or non-gender could pull this off easily. This scent makes my ovaries explode. It’s like lingerie hidden under a soft cashmere sweater. Edit to add: I think if a man were to wear this I would go feral. 

Edited by Weirdgirlpilled

I know this smell. I don’t know why or how, but I know this smell. I’m guessing someone I knew at some point wore this and I’m remembering that, but I KNOW THIS SMELL. 

I ordered it just because of all of the hype and because the notes sounded right up my alley, and I’m so happy I did. All of the notes are present and however good you think this may smell, up that by at least a factor of 10 and you’ll be in the ballpark. I adore the gentle tea in this and I do pick up a hint of lemon in the tea as well, along with the vanilla, sugar and musk. Perfectly blended, powerful yet not overpowering. 

BUT WHY DO I KNOW THIS SMELL??? It’s going to drive me bonkers trying to figure it out. 

First reaction when I smelled the new version: “That’s NOT it.” The new Dorian smells really nice and I do like it but it’s nothing like the original one. 
I’m not good at picking individual notes but it reminds me a little of Addict by Dior also one of my favs. ❤️

Edited by Just Kitten

This is my first time trying Dorian and wow, it’s been an experience! I’m fully on the hype train and it’s fast become one of my favourite perfumes! 

Firstly, it lasts for days on fabrics. I am still smelling it on my bed sheets and it always throws me off guard when I get a whiff. Its beautiful. Like shockingly beautiful?! 😳

There’s definitely lemon upon first application but that steps to the side and as it quietens down, it mingles gorgeously with the sugared tea. The musks and vanilla are so friggin’ sexy. Like a “your skin but a million times better”. To me, it’s definitely giving “bedroom” scent vibes (wink wink nudge nudge). Like sneaking off from the afternoon tea party to have a lil fun with the waiter who’s been eyeing you up all day haha! The windows in the bedroom are open and the sun is shining. Tousled golden locks and messy white silk sheets. The scent of cakes and tea from the party wafts through under the bedroom door and a summer breeze cools your back as you lazily drift in and out of slumber.

It’s so sexy but it’s so comforting. It has a dark and seductive edge but the brightness from lemon keeps it light and energising. It’s refined and classy but there is definitely a “corrupted core” within.

Absolutely gorgeous perfume. I need 10000 bottles of this! 

On 7/3/2023 at 2:03 PM, Just Kitten said:

First reaction when I smelled the new version: “That’s NOT it.” The new Dorian smells really nice and I do like it but it’s nothing like the original one. 
I’m not good at picking individual notes but it reminds me a little of Addict by Dior also one of my favs. ❤️

Ok. So, I came here to write nearly the same thing! Also agree about Dior's Addict.

This incarnation is such a beautiful powdery vanilla (not in a musty way or a baby way but in the way that on a hike you can smell rocks baking in the sun) and there's just barely a hint of milky black tea...I love it, but this is not anything like the original. I've been alternating between my 2013 bottle and my newer one so I'm not basing this on memory. No fougere in the new version. And that's ok too. 💚

Bottle fresh from the lab, 2023.This was not at all what I was expecting.

Wet: Sweet lemon. Then lemon sugar cookie with royal icing. Pretty, tasty.

Stays that way for quite some time.

After four hours, it dries down to a delicious musk, with maybe a dash of coumarin, that is unfortunately whisper-soft.

I've worn it quite a bit, but it doesn't knock my socks off. In the past, I had hesitated on buying this because of the word "sugared," and I think that caution was warranted. I think I wanted more astringent tea, and based on the fougere description, maybe more mossy or woody or herbal or lavender notes.

I can't compare this to the original. But, to me, it's vanilla musk, an (almost too) sugary lemony tea, and the company of a nice smelling masculine person. I don't know if I want to smell like this or just smell this on someone. This has been sitting since the summer, so I think age is going to help this one.