Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Inspired by and created for my beloved Tedwin: my eternal, beautiful, wicked Dorian Gray. Refined, elegant, and lovely, with a noble bearing and seemingly gentle air. This blend is an artful deception: a sweet gilded blossom lying over a twisted and corrupted core. A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

Yum!!! This smells very lemony in the bottle, but with a jolt of vanilla. I just know this is going to be good.

On, the vanilla is initially the first scent that hits my nose. Second comes the lemon and last is the tea. As it begins to dry everything starts to blend together so they aren't individual scents, but rather vanilla-lemon tea...if that makes sense.

I can see how this could be a bit masculine, but vanilla works on everyone and I wanna wear this, so that's what I am going to do!

Dorian is such a nice, clean neutral scent that can be worn all year round, at any time of day. It's a cozy, comforting scent.

In the bottle- ....no scent. where is the scent? -inhales deeply- ah, a bit of lemon and sugar...

wet- excuse me, i must go die in pleasure now. So yummy smelling. I get a background of vanilla black tea, with lots of honey.

dry- the tea, vanilla and honey have been joined by a very light musk and this scent has staying power! So good....must buy more imps of this....

Dorian is my favorite BPAL oil to date. I did not get any of the lemon scent others detected. On me this is pure sugar with a hint of tea. It reminds me somewhat of Auqualina's Pink Sugar, but less sweet and with a bit of musk. Dorian is the perfect day time scent, beautiful but unintrusive.

Oh, Dorian. How I love thee.

Dorian is currently my 'evening, relaxing' scent. It's everything I always wanted in a 'tea' scent. It layers well with so many other scents, too. It doesn't have major staying power on me, but I don't care because I wear it mostly for me, when I'm just spending an evening at home.

I have this 'Vanilla' tea that smells so much like Dorian it's uncanny. So, I like to slather on the Dorian, make a cup of that tea, and really relish in the whole experience.

I also carry a little decant of Dorian with me, in my purse. When I'm done at the gym, or am coming back from some kind of work out, I like to put it on because it's such a clean scent. It's clean, and yet, it's warm. I really like that. I haven't experienced many scents like that. Clean, usually means bright and even a little crisp and cold. So I am REALLY loving this scent's magic.

-Leslie

Dorian has a slight (ever so) sharpness to it when I first put it on and when its wet. Then as it dries and slips into my skin the vanilla really comes out, the tea behind it and a muskiness that keeps it from smelling too much like a foodie scent. It's light in that it doesn't have a great deal of throw but it seems to be long lasting and obvious on my skin. I think I will try it on my husband as his natural scent has a bit of vanilla to it.

dorian.jpg

When I first tried it the smell was unique and very pleasing. I thought that I would love it. I didn't get the vanilla or tea from it that some folks do, but it was blended so well that if I couldn't sort out the different scents, that was the genius in the blend.

My disappointment was in the drydown. It became musk. Oh, I am so tired of musk. So, I think I will swap it to someone who likes musk. Oh, well...my loss is someone's gain.

Edited by olympia301

Everyone did such a great job of reviewing Dorian, there is little I can add!

I really, really like this blend of vanilla, musk and lemon: same notes as Zephyr, but an entirely different personality. Dorian just oozes charm and charisma.

On me it has little in common with Snake Oil: it is much more understated and refined; the overall mood is more dangerously seductive than outrageously sexy.

All things considered, I would describe Dorian as a more gender-neutral Antique Lace. I will be getting a bottle of this once my beloved and short-lived Antique Lace is gone.

Dear Mother,

I've told you about some of the most important women in my life--gentle Snow White, regal Rose Red, charming little Alice, bewitching Eve, motherly Dana O'Shee, but Mother, although you may be shocked at my involvement with so many women, I think you'll be happy to know--

--that I've totally fallen for a MAN :P

Now mother--I know what you're thinking!! But this is a man who loves women--loves to embrace them, treat them right, make them feel incredible. Sweet tea with a touch of lemon and the barest hint of musk, he smells like, with a side of snickerdoodle cookies. He is charming and unassuming at first glance, but the undercurrent of warm sexuality is irresistable.

I never thought I'd commit to the full monty without having experianced him before (I'm bad--I know it!) but...*sigh*... I would never have been satisfied with just a touch--a taste!

I want him forever and ever. I'll never give up my female relationships, but I think I've just found the man I want to marry :D

Love,

Josey

Ahh Dorian, young Dorian, what can I say? I wanted to love you, that I did.

I was excited to try this scent, and bought a 5ml due to the buzz, and the reviews. It seemed like a 'have to' have scent for me.

Now, I'm not yet sure it isn't. But I have waited to review until I'd used it a couple of times, here's the scoop:

Preconcieved notions:

A refinement of Saint-Germain, but with a citrus note, and more tea.

In the bottle:

a bit muddled, but with heavy lavender and tea smell, a bit of vanilla

First on:

beautiful, complex citrus bite, musk with touch a tea and vanilla undertone. great throw as well.

first fade:

I would have loved the scent if the musk and tea had stayed, but my body chemistry seems to eat that up quite quick, suddenly the lavender along with vanilla comes to the fore.

after a while:

the lemon fades out, leaving lavender and vanilla, which together get rather powdery.

I would love this if the citrius, musk, and tea stayed. I'm going to leave it a month, since I have a 5 ml, and see if it mellows in, believe it or not, this made belladonna a very different scent for me, and given the popluarity of the scent I imagine it is fresh as new mown grass. I still have high hopes for this scent, it is sooo good when first on, and then dies a bit on me, sooo quickly.

*sigh* if I could just re-apply every 30 minutes... Until then, my poor Dorian, you just seem to be Saint-Germain's awkward younger brother.

Edited by erehwesle

WOW. WOW. WOW!!! :P

I have a new favorite! :D Dorian is absolutely amazing, and is everything I expected and more. Beth, you have truly outdone yourself!

In the bottle: Lemon and vanilla

Wet, on my skin: Vanilla is the predominant note, with strong tea with lemon not far behind

On drydown: The musks come out, but the vanilla and tea are definitely the predominant notes. Slightly reminiscent of Zephyr, but the sweet tea note just adds SO much to it.

Dorian is truly my holy grail spring and summer fragrance. So glad I bought a 10 ml unsniffed!

First, I didn't know what a fougere was, so I looked it up: Fougere is the French word for Fern. Although ferns have no noticeable scent, the name depicts a fresh, erotic, woodland scent. They generally have a herbal, lavender, mossy scent These perfumes are a mainly in the masculine family.

I ordered a bottle of this unsniffed based on all the great reviews, and I'm not sorry.

On me, Dorian is all vanilla musk. I get no lemon, fougere, or tea. It's lovely, soft, and feminine. I only wish it lasted longer! Layer this with Snow White for the ultimate creamy-vanilla scent.

ETA: Now that my bottle's aged a bit, I get a touch of the lemon and sugar others have mentioned. Just a touch though--it adds a bit of a sharp bite to the vanilla musk. If possible, it's even better now. :P

Edited by Shollin

Dorian is ABSOLUTLY heavenly!

In the imp: so sweet, but not sickning or sticky sweet..yummy sweet

Wet, on my skin: sweet tea

Dry down: just stays so yummy, sweet tea, I dont really pick up on the vanilla.

Reminds me of a warm summer day, big jar of warm sun tea.

sweet and warm tea you try to drink before all the ice melts. :D :) :) :D :D :) :D :evil: :P :D :P :) :) :) :D :D :D

I'm joining the ranks of Dorian groupies. This is absolutely sinfully delicious. On me, it is truly black vanilla tea with just enough musk in the backgound to make me want to throw my panties at it. :P Very yummy, I definitely put a bottle on the next order I made after getting this imp.

When the musks are right, they don't disappear on me exactly, but they magnify the other scents and make them just smell like they belong.

This is lovely. I don't get any lemon at all, just a vanilla-lavender tea.

This is my official Sunday scent, because my husband and I have made Sunday Teaday. Tea and scones, tea and crumpets, always tea and something. Our relaxing weekend ritual. And Dorian fits alongside perfectly!! :D

ETA: I had gone through an imp testing bout, and went back to my usual everyday scent of Snow White. And realized - I miss Dorian! I think he shall become my everyday scent, because I find I cannot live without him. :P

Edited by sh1mm3r

well, after reading the inital reviews here, i was chomping at the bit to try dorian!

in the vial it smelled nice- i could smell the tea, the vanilla, and a bit of lemon. this is going to be perfect!

on: errrr....not so much. the lemon disappeared (why can't citrus stick around on me? i love it so!), the vanilla got a bit stronger, the tea left and the musk came out. i like the scent, but it smells very, very masculine on me, and frankly, i'm a girly girl. dorian and i just clash.

however, all was not lost! as part of my ongoing quest to get my husband wearing bpal, i tried some on him. it smelled pretty good, and he rated it as his favorite bpal of the 10 or so he's tried. we'll keep the imp and see how it goes :P

I snagged a bunch of my mom's imps this weekend while dog-sitting and I was pleasantly surprised to see Dorian lying in wait for me.

In the bottle: All of the facets come out. It's deifnitley sweet, but there is that musk underneath, not letting you forget that it is there. It absolutely conjures up visions of a sunny Victorian tea parlor that has one dark, mysterious corner.

Wet and drydown: They smell exaclty the same on me. This is the first oil that has not changed once it dries. There is only one way for me to describe this fragrance on me: Chance by Chanel. I was amazed, but you could tell me that I had my Chance on and I would beleive it. It's a beautifuly sophisticated scent with a little playfullness to it.

Dorian; Well, I can say that Andrabell pretty much explained this one to the T. :D I dont know what else that I can say that has not been said about this lovely blend. When first applied I get the black tea, I do not get much lemon just a tiny bit, I do get a lot of the sugar aroma. This may knock Intrique off my top 10, :D it is very exotic and sexy. :P Im glad I ordered a 10ml off the bat whithout sniffing it first. Truly another masterpiece from Beth.

I can't say much about the "in the bottle, wet on skin" part that hasn't been said, but on my skin Dorian transforms instantly into the scent of Cadbury mini-eggs! This is my favorite, favorite, FAVORITE candy in the world. I have no idea how milk, vanilla, and tea can turn into chocolate.... but I'm not complaining. I am beyond thrilled by this. I need a bottle right away. :P

EDIT: Merged with existing thread --Shollin

Edited by Shollin

I'm going to deviate a bit from my normal review style for this one. I just can't say enough good things about this blend.

Dorian.

Dearest Dorian, I knew I was going to love you the moment I read your description. I wasn't wrong. You have every essence of sweet tea with cream, and envelop me in sheer ecstasy. You're everything I've ever wanted and needed, all in one tiny vial.

Perfection in a bottle. Needless to say, I've already ordered two large bottles of this, and I ponder ordering more just to have it around.

Edited by anmorata

First sniff from the bottle- I've been itching to try this one for ages! Here goes nothing...::sniff sniff:: OMGWTF?!? This is the vanilla that is in Antique Lace but mixed with a sugared lemon tea!

After 10 minutes- Wait a minute...it disappeared!! Now I smell nothing! Noooooo, come back!! I seriously smell NOTHING now! :P

After 30 minutes- Well poop. Another one I really liked in the wet stage has been eaten by my skin. What a bummer! I can faintly smell something sweet like marshmallows and lemon tea but that is about it. From what I do smell this is really yummy, and a lot like Antique Lace which is one of my favorites! I sure wish I could turn the volume up on it so I can smell it better. *Pouts*

Summery-Maybe it is just me. I will give this a try another day and see if I can smell it better

Dorian is sex. Pure and simple.

When I put it on, there's a smack of woody lavender and sugar, then it mellows out into a slightly musky, slightly lemony sugared tea with very soft floral undertones. The first few moments are extremely masculine, then Dorian becomes almost feminine in his seduction of my skin. Truly a very sexy metrosexual kind of a guy.

Totally a 10ml purchase.

I find it really interesting that all of these reviews are describing Dorian as sex on a stick. It could not possibly be more innocent on me. It's a soft (but with tremendous throw) heavily sugared tea from start to finish - I pick up a bit of lemon near the end, but not for a long time. I'm from the south, sweet tea is my drink of choice, and that's what this smells like to me. Not what I consider sexy :P . Nice, but I don't know if I'm going to be ordering a bottle - I don't do scents that are so sweet all that often.

Updating my review - I did wind up ordering a bottle. Now when I wear it, most of the time I wind up smelling like a gingerbread cookie. Also nice, but still not sexy :D.

Edited by Electra

When I read the reviews of Dorian I knew I had to try it. When I got my imp today, I could have kicked myself for not ordering a bottle. I want to smell like Dorian 24/7 from now on.

It's creamy, it's sweet (it smells just like the vanilla tea that I drink iced), and it makes me want to do naughty things :P

When the lunacy blend comes around this month, I will be ordering a 10 ml of Dorian (which says a lot because I have never bought a 10 ml before).

at first: i don't know about this. it isn't what i thought it would be.

on: warm. this reminds me somewhat of tombstone, but lighter. it's a bit sweet, but masculine. unbelievable comforting.

15 minutes later: i just had to say that I LOVE THIS! it's beautiful. sigh...

1 hour later: still the same. did i mention that i love this?

3 hours later: i'm smelling the tea more, and the musk and vanilla are there, too.

overall: i am so glad that i went directly to a 5ml of this. i'm in love. i have the feeling that i'll be wearing this a lot.

The new imps arrived yesterday and Brian immediately reached for this one. I grabbed it first, though--I've taught Wilde's novel often enough to earn first dibs. :P

Hmm...my skin is really amplifying the pale musk, which is odd; I thought it wouldn't appear 'til the drydown. Well, Dorian always was the perverse one. :D There's a fresh touch of lemon peeking out...huh, this is really soft on me; I need to slather some more on. The musks and lemon are beautifully blended, but there's only the tiniest bit of sugar and no tea or vanilla at all!

I have got to have the weirdest skin chemistry--the ones that work for everyone don't work for me! Dorian was perfectly nice and courtly to me, but no more than polite. I want the mad-sex fragrance!!! I will see if he will get naughtier with my boy. :D

Edited to add: Eventually Dorian settled down to a faint whiff of sweet iced tea before flouncing off entirely. Definitely a Wimpster, this one. :D

Edited to also add: Yup, I was right. This is totally different on Brian, and MUCH better. On him, the vanilla sugar comes right out, and it's like a lovely summertime version of Tombstone (still not much tea, though). And--even weirder--it is *strong* on him; it faded right out on me but wafted all evening on him. What can I say? Dorian likes the boys. :D

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy