Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
phaedrine

Skuld

Ylang ylang, honey, Egyptian and Arabian musks and labdanum.

I ordered this one unsniffed, because there's not a note in it I don't love. And that was lucky, for sniffing it straight out of the bottle, I couldn't have predicted what it does as worn. On me Skuld is a big, strapping Teutonic girl, warm and golden, and not at all retiring. To my nose she's ultimately a honey scent, though goes through an ylang phase that's positively operatic - at about a half hour in the ylang actually made me laugh it was singing so boldly. I experience this scent as cheerful, solar, and optimistic, a kind of lusty "I will prevail!" smell. It's love.

Ooof-sweet honey and ylang ylang. Like WHOA ylang ylang. I can do ylang ylang mixed with other stuff, but sometimes it is just too overpowering O_o

Hnnnnggh, yeah the ylang ylang is just soooo heavy in this. There's something so sickeningly sweet about it. Thankfully, while I get that rough first blast when I initially apply, it immediately begins to mellow into a sweet floral honey scent with a touch of musk.

On drydown, this just sort of fades to a generic bpal honey scent. Not bad, but nothing special-I have other bpal honey scents I enjoy more and the ylang ylang at the start of this one was a bit too offputting.

In theory I should have loved Skuld, but it was so potent and cloyingly sweet on me that I had to wash it off after half an hour. Initially the sweetness was palliated by a lovely earthiness (the labdanum?), but sadly this didn't last long enough. There was some honey, but mostly a very strident ylang ylang and musk aroma. I think it might have calmed down after a while, but the first phase was too much for me. I should also mention that this is one powerful scent, and just a dab on my wrists threw off a strong smell that I felt enveloped in at all times.

The ylang ylang in this is overpowering on me, too. I get along with ylang ylang beautifully sometimes, but not in this perfume. I kept it on about 30 minutes and the ylang ylang never let up, so I just washed it off.

Skuld

On: Sweet ylang ylang. Very pretty.

2 hours in: The ylang ylang is still the strongest, but there's a hint of sweet honey and a nice base of musks.

5.5 hours in: Very sweet, but not heavy. Mostly musk and honey, with ylang ylang.

Overall: I like ylang ylang, but I think it's more of a room-scent sort of note for me.

Imp: Sour skittles. SRSLY.

Wet: Skuld is just so awful on me. I have been haunted by imps of it for years and rarely if ever have I let the foul stuff dry down totally on my skin. It goes on smelling like pruno some kid made out of home ec vinegar and skittles and usually gets washed off right away. It's really awful on my chemistry. I don't know what ingredients cause it to act this way because, mysteriously, all of them normally work really well on my skin.

Dry: Some of the vinegar scent goes away and Skuld winds up smelling like evil skittles. It's one of those scents that is so godawful on my skin that I think the dry phase is really good simply because it is comparatively not as bad as the wet phase. It's not disgusting anymore but it's still pretty bad. I don't know what my skin chemistry did with it, but it needs to stop that. Immediately.

Throw: Mercifully mild.

Overall: Skuld is one of the great bpal mysteries for me. It should be amazing. Every single ingredient works on me and usually smells fantastic in other blends. In Skuld, they combine to create a super perfume that smells like skittles pruno. And, really, the eventual long term drydown is sort of pretty. But I am not willing to go through nearly an hour of smelling like locker pruno.

I had to triple-check the imp because the smell on my wrist was so not what I was expecting. On my skin, all I get from this is candy - Sweet-tarts, to be exact. Wet and dry, the smell is the same...I'm so confused...

I tried this solely for the honey, which is absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, I hate ylang-ylang, and there is plenty of it in this blend. I think this would be amazing for someone who actually likes ylang-ylang.

One of my first frimps..

Imp: Sticky sweet honey and oriental spices/resins.

Wet: Fresh honey, strong but not as sweet.

Dry: There is something.. off in that honey note. Maybe when it is blended with something else it does not work on my skin? I have t try it on another patch or my skin and see if it works then. If yes - yay, keeper! if not - swap pile.

I've come to the conclusion that, while I can't stand the smell of anything with honey in it from the imp/bottle, it will inevitably morph into something beautiful the second it touches my skin. Skuld is another freebie that I sniffed once and threw in a drawer for a few months, with the intention of giving away. Today, at my girlfriend's insistence, I pulled it out and finally tried it.

In the imp: a quite awful, sickly smell that almost makes me recoil. I remember having the same experience with Blood Rose and Desire the first time I smelt them too.

First on: sweet, summery honey, almost fresh from the hive. I can also make out traces of the musks and they're quite pretty, which is very interesting. Up until now, any of the musk notes I've tried have turned either rancid or powdery on me. Checking back over my sample notes, it seems that all of them have also had rose in them, so perhaps it's the combination my chemistry hates, rather than the musk itself.

Dry (10mins): still sweet, still bright, but not overpowering in the slightest. I obviously amp honey - that's all I can smell. Thankfully I amp it in a good way (read: not the way I am lemon), or else I might have regretted the six Apiary scents I just bought...

Dry (2hrs): still mainly honey; the must is there, faintly, in the background and has yet to do anything awful. This is now a rich, warm golden scent, a perfect accompaniment to the summer thunderstorm going on outside.

Overall: A wonderful blend and, depending on how the newer honeys from the Apiary work on me, one I will probably keep in my collection. The throw is fabulously long lasting, as is the staying power. Easily 4/5.

In the bottle: Wow! Hit with honey and ylang-ylang. Hard. Very sweet, like a very rich hard candy.

Wet: more sweet rich candy, honey, and spices. Nice and tasty, but for a perfume? Candles, maybe, if you like that sort of smell. It’s very cloyingly sweet on me. Not a good sign.

Dry: Okay, this has gone really bad on me. Pure sweet candy and nothing else. Fake “fruity” candy smell, too. Which is a bummer, as I was kind of hoping for a more earthy honey scent, but it went to pure candy store hardcandy/fake flavour smell. :( Trade pile.

Fresh on my skin, Skuld is honey and a sharp, candyish floral note (guess that's the ylang). I can definitely see a similarity with O as others have written, but Skuld isn't quite as skanky.

As the scent develops, the warm, musky smell of the labdanum amplifies and mixes beautifully with the honey. Skuld is just a little bit too high-pitched to be full bottle worthy of me, but it's definitely a pretty scent and I'm enjoying my imp.

Skuld is a soft, honey scent on me. The ylang ylang seems to stay in the background and adds something clean and refreshing to the blend. The musks blend in really well. It's quite a soft blend and tends to fade quite quickly on me. Overall, I like this. I am going through a phase of loving honey and this blend is defintely something that I will wear often :wub2:

In the imp: Grape!

Wet: I wonder if this is the same note as Daphne Honey, which also smells a lot like grape... 'cause yeah, at the moment this is wine/floral/honey thing. Nice though.

Dry: A nice mixture of wine, honey and herbs.

Starts out as bubblegum! Fruity bubblegum. I really dislike smelling like honey and that's what is coming through on dry-down together with a weird herbal eucalyptus scent.

Dry the eucalyptus scent has almost disappeared and it's back to honey and bubblegum. Not a scent for me.

In imp: Sweet honey.

Wet: Definately honey. But with a sharp edge to it. Kind of reminds me of gold inlay in a sword blade. (If that makes any sense...)

Dry: Honey is now tempered with the musk and florals.

Not sure how I feel about this one. This was one of two freebie imps added to my order. I don't usually like sweeter smells, but the honey is a very intriguing note. The floral may be too strong for me. This one is going in the retest pile

Eeep! Where have they been hiding this one!

I got an imp of this and frantically went on a search through all the five zillion lab categories...all the time thinking, "if this is DCed I will just scream..." but no! There it is! Right next to Urd...and I would say in the same family as Urd, sweet, fruity, very forceful, almost stinky...love this...love it. It's heady and rich, but not overpowering. This shoots to the top for me.

Skuld is the type of Bpal scent that takes no prisoners. I usually order imp packs and very rarely i like or even love the GC scents i sample. Skuld is an exception - i remember i had a nose fatigue from sampling too many oils; i put on Skuld and let it dry and forgot about it. After 45 min i smelt my hand and DAMN, i got this killer musky honey floral whiff - I DIED!!!! The key to getting the perfect SKULD whiff is not to OVER-APPLY! just stroke the vial pipette against your skin once and gently and your good to go! SKULD - you're here to stay and if you behave, i might buy a bottle of you icon_biggrin.gif

Almost ordered a 5ml of this unsniffed, but got just an imp instead. I'm glad I did...something in this does not like me! In the imp, a little sweetness and ylang ylang, very nice! Then I put it on. The ylang ylang was still there, but masked by an overwhelming icky note. Like stale candy mixed with B.O. :huh?: I suspect it might be the honey that is wreaking havoc on me. This didn't have a very strong throw, so I left it on to see if it would improve during the day. About 5 hours later, I caught a pleasant whiff of the ylang ylang. It seems whatever was ruining the scent for me had disappeared. It was actually quite pleasant at that point, but I don't think I will be wearing it again any time soon.

I find there are two honeys on my skin. There is the creamy fruity honey that for all the world smells like apricot sherbet. I call this the "good honey". It is rare and lovely.

:angel:

More common is the honey that goes on smelling a bit like cat vomit and dries down smelling like I just spend the last two days rolling in the sheets with myself. I call this the "wicked honey"'. Naturally I amp it.

:smite:

Despite the very unattractive description of the wicked honey that I have provided I actually like to have one hanging around for dirty sexy days. But I really only need one, so when Skuld went on smelling like cat vomit I knew it was going to be a pass. C'mon, flowers! No? Hardly a whiff? If the ylang-ylang had come forward a bit more i would have traded Osun in for this one in a heartbeat on the theory that floral sex is sexier than herbal sex, but alas.

Tzi

Skuld is a very soft,sweet sent on me. I mostly get honey from this with a slight muskyness and an ever so vague hint of ylang ylang in the background.I really love this since it doesnt go to floral on me,but I want to try more bpal before I decide if I will get a bottle of this or not...considering the fact that the ones I've liked so far all contain vanilla,honey or spices I may need to look into the more foody scents :-)

In the imp: Musky honey, with maybe a hint of resin/labdanum.

On skin, wet: The musks and maybe-resin vanish and this is all honey and slightly-funky ylang ylang.

On skin, dry: The ylang ylang has settled down into a faintly soapy floral undertone to the honey, which is very much dominant.

After an hour: Still a very slightly soapy edge to this, but mostly it's a mellow/warm floral honey. I'm going to let it age to see if that brings out the musks and labdanum enough to survive on my skin, but if not this is definitely not a keeper.

In the imp: Smells like thick, rich wildflower honey.

Wet on my skin: Almost overpoweringly sweet honey with a touch of fruit and flowers.

Dry: I don't know how, but the sweet florals from the Lab (so far) don't turn to syrup-covered plastic on me. Thankfully, the sweetness is not quite as heady once this dries down. Still very much a honey scent on me, with hints of wildflowers and something vaguely fruity. I don't get much, if any, of the musk in the throw, but it's tucked away close to my skin. It's a very pretty and warm scent overall, and while it's a little sweeter than what I would normally wear, I'll be keeping the imp in rotation for those times when I want to feel pretty and girly.

Hot damn! This is bold, in-your-face, over the top SEXY. It's heady(almost too much) ylang ylang over honey. I thought I didn't like ylang ylang but apparently I was wrong, because I LOVE this. It really isn't me at all (over the top and sexy would not be how I'd describe myself :rolleyes2: ) but putting this on is like playing dress-up.

I was going to say this would be a good perfume for a femme fatale, but I don't think it's mysterious or subtle enough. Maybe for the trophy wife of a villian? Think plunging necklines, strappy gold high-heels, and blatant come-ons, all on just the wrong side of tasteful.

Unfortunate this turns to play-doh on me after an hour (like everything else with honey), but what an exciting hour it was!