Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
phaedrine

Skuld

Ylang ylang, honey, Egyptian and Arabian musks and labdanum.

In the Imp: Hmm. Honey, something grapey.. Maybe a little herbal tinge. Not bad!

Wet: Cough syrup?? Something medicinal, but still grapey..I\'m confused.

Dry: It\'s not an UNPLEASANT smell.. It\'s hard to describe. I get such a strong grape note, but it\'s a grape juice note, the kind that\'s half sugar with no real fruit in it. I get a tiny bit of honey, but mostly it\'s syrupy grape and super sweet.

Out of 10: 4

This goes through so many morphs! From the bottle, I get honey and...banana candy? Yup. Sort of bubblegum-y, but...banana flavored. So weird.

Then on me, it ditches the banana in favor of a very sexy, exotic resinous scent. My favorite phase of this blend! It almost smells like cloves or cinnamon or almonds at times, although those aren't listed as notes. Kinda smells like baklava, too. But _sexy_ baklava, with the honey and the musks.

Sadly, this phase doesn't stick around forever, and it sort of fades off into a vague floral, with hints of resins and honey, and the candied banana is back but very faint. Hmm, strange. I'll have to try it in a scent locket to see if it'll stay in the sexy baklava phase for longer, because I really loved that but it faded so fast!

I get the grapeyness with this too--as it dries that fruity sweetness is definitely becoming honey and ylang-ylang and the musks are coming out more...it's a bit like honey incense! I wasn't nuts about it wet but the drydown is more subtle and rather sexy...and this has been floating around in the GC for how long and I haven't paid attention to it?? Shame on me!

Inside the imp, heavy honey.

On my skin, honey and ylang ylang definitely. This is perfume oil equivalent of BPTP's Lupanar Room Spray.

Very heavy, thick scent.

With so many deal-breaker notes, I would never have tried this had it not been frimped to me in a swap.

And I was right: I like nothing about this. Ylang-ylang is headache-inducing, and the other notes are too hippy-ish (which on me means dark and sour).

In the imp, this is honey, with a faint tang that might the ylang ylang or the musks. On my skin, this is, again, honey with a tang of musk, can't really pin down the ylang ylang. Liking this so far. Something in here, either the musks or the ylang ylang, makes the blend take a bit of a sour turn with the honey. Swaps/sales.

Edited by Venneh

This is a heavy, heady scent. The ylang-ylang is nice and yummy, the musks are divine, and it's just slightly sweet. I didn't expect to, but I kind of love it.

However, it does go through a really bad stage when it's wet, when it smells like rotten fruit. Why? I can't tell you. It smells "okay" in the imp and really nice once it's dry. But in the middle, rotten fruit. Gross. I'm not sure I'll wear it often because of that.

This one was sent to me as a gimp from arboretum on livejournal, and I absolutely adore it. It's the most candy-like of all the scents I’ve tried so far, very bright and pretty and golden. In the bottle, it smells like sugar and honey, but the second I get it on my skin the musk comes out to play, and as it dries the ylang ylang emerges alongside the honey. The way Skuld develops is just lovely – when my nose is close to my wrist, I smell tropical flowers and musk and honey. But every once in a while I’d catch a whiff of the oil throughout the day when I turned my head or whatnot, and to my surprise I didn’t get flowers or musk, but pure honeyed CANDY. Deliciousness.

One a minor note, I like how long Skuld lasted as well. I haven’t had much luck with staying power when it comes to the sweeter scents, so I was pretty delighted when I hit the end of my workday and Skuld was still floating around me in a pretty cloud of golden candy goodness.

Received as a frimp. I wouldn't have bought one because of the egyptian musk (we're not friends). Not bad. Definitely as most others are saying, I smell heavy grape candy in the bottle.

Wet: the grape smell is still prominent. I can smell a bit of straight ylang ylang. Must be the way the ylang ylang is tempered by the rest of the ingredients?

Dry: still grape-ish however the musk took a breather. Not bad but wouldn't buy a bottle.

Edited by SophieCedar

In the imp: It's quite fruity, with a faint musk undercurrent.

Wet on skin: I can pick up on the honey, but something that smells like grape is dominating. Labdanum?

Dry on skin: The faint musk is back, but I don't find any honey. The grape is still dominating. On me, this is like a more pungent "O"

Edited by Phantasmagoria

To me, it smells like honey and spit. lol. wish it smelled to me as lovely as it does to others...and its not just skin chemistry, i'm talkin in the bottle, too! off to swaps.. :(

This was extremely floral in the beginning, all ylang ylang, but as it dries down the honey and finally the musk and labdanum emerge and overshadow it. It reminds me a bit of Aeval in a way, in the sense of what was supposed to be an innocent floral corrupted by darkness. Not a "dark floral" which is a whole other category in itself but more of a darkened floral. Very rich and sensual and not a namby-pamby floral at all.

Edited by Invidiana

This is one of my favorite "bonus" imps.

It's nothing I would have picked out for myself, even if I'd sampled it first. It goes on VERY strong for me, almost sickeningly sweet. I wouldn't have picked out the honey without the description, but I think that's the culprit.

It settles down after about 10 or 15 minutes, though, and from there, I really enjoy it. The musky smell is nice and warm, and it lingers perfectly. I ran the wand through my hair one day, and after it settled down, I think that's where I liked this scent best.

The musky amber scents still aren't something I'd wear every day, but it was a great experiment and a very nice perfume. I'm too much of a green/purple fan to convert to something this warm, so I think I'll send this off to another home, but I did enjoy trying it.

Kinda minty fruity. Interesting. Almost bubblegum, but not quite. Mint goes away pretty quickly. Quite nice, but not the kind of scent I would ever wear....

Drydown: loads of honey!

Tried this yesterday. In the bottle it did smell kind of like grape, but on me it turned into just what it said on the label- sweet ylang-ylang with musk. I didn't expect much out of this one, but I kind of love it. The lasting power is ace too!

Honey-sweet but not the smooth sweetness of Les Bijoux. It might be the labdanum or slightly sharp ylang ylang that gives this sweetness a more interesting slightly acrid quality.

It is very strong and the first few minutes it was on it reminded me of bathroom deodorizer.

Once it is dry I like it much better. I actually like the harsher sweetness. It is a very sexy scent but more casual and less obviously sexy than, for example, Sed non Satiata. I'm not sure I would want something this sweet often enough to buy a bottle but I do like it.

EDIT: I've been wearing this every day since I tried it. It is amazing. I need at least a couple more imps of this, possibly a bottle.

Edited by Myrrha

Frimp in one of my orders.

In the imp, this smells like honey with a touch of something fruity. Wet, this becomes musky fruity honey. It's pleasant enough, but it's bit cloying for my tastes. During the drydown, something incensey starts to emerge. The resin helps clobber back some of the sweetness, though not by much. Dry, I'm left with a very sweet honey resin.

I'm starting to realize that I amp honey notes to the high heavens. It's okay when there's a tart note in the blend, as that helps grounds it, but in an oil like this, where everything seems to lean toward the sweet, I feel as though I've fallen into a vat of dark thick sticky honey.

This is quite pretty, but it is not something that I would wear. It is very sweet, too much so for my tastes, and so this is going into my oil burner pile. I do, however, recommend this to anyone who prefers these kinds of blends, as it sounds great with the right skin chemistry.

In bottle: Honey and musk. It has such promise!

Wet: A softer scent, the honey and musk are prominent with just a touch of floral.

Dry: And then the floral pops and the honey recedes and I'm left with just a trace of the note I wanted most.

Notes: Much flowery then I had hoped for. A pretty scent but not for me I think.

Wet: fruity cough syrup

Transition: bubblegum and cough syrup, with a hint of something nice in the back but it's quite hidden

Dry: the sweetness calms down but it is still very cough syrup-ish with a bit of soap

Verdict: Yuck! I don't think I like my skin. I've only found one scent that works consistently on it and this was not it!

Very sweet. I forgot there was honey notes in this one until I applied the imp! I really like it a lot, though. It's sexy and musk-y, but the honey brightens it. It's sweet, but not cloyingly so. This is a VERY wearable scent; the sort that could become a signature scent of someone's. Unfortunately, it's not enough of a favorite to be MY scent, but it's beautiful all the same.

I decided to get Skuld, as I got Urd in my last order (because of a friend's RP character) and she needs her sisters. Verdandi will most likely be in my next order.

In the imp: Hello, sweetness! Almost syrupy floral and honey.

Wet: Stil very sweet, with the honey seeming to tone down the sweet floral of the ylang ylang. And something funky underneath that's probably musk, but not as appealing as musk usually is to me.

Dry down: Heady. The ylang ylang goes kind of plasticky, and as it's the dominant note, it throws the whole scent off.

Dry: The musks and labdanum eventually wrestle the sweetness under control some, which helps. Waft is still sweetened ylang ylang, but close to the skin it's lovely. Of course, if I had my druthers, it'd be the other way around.

Overall: If it weren't for the ylang ylang, I'd be bathing in this. With the ylang ylang, it might be too much floral-sweet for me. But I kind of want to try layering Urd with Skuld, see how they act together.

In the vial - There is much ylang ylang here, which is generally a bad thing, but here it is at least being given some depth by the labdanum. The honey is a sort of lurking sweetness. I'm not getting hardly any musk at all from this.

Wet - I see what people mean by fruity.

Drying - Oh dear, that floral is stomping all over everything! The musk as come out, too, and it is just not the right kind of musk to go with the sweetness. The musk is a deep one, very robust. It's like the musk wants to have a sophisticated dinner part and the floral is prancing about with a really annoying giggle. I can't pick up anything else because the two are just fighting it out on my skin.

Dry (3 hours) - Well, the honey is gone, which has helped keep the ylang ylang down. The musk has also lighted up a bit, so it's not clashing with the floral as much. There's almost a little edge to it, like carnation notes have, but just a tiny bit. It's like there's a bare suggestion of something, but not enough to actually smell like it.

Overall - I really don't like this one much. It gives me a rather rocking headache and it is all due to the ylang ylang. That note and I never work.

I ordered an imp of Skuld because years ago when I managed to work out a visit to East Coast Will Call, I took a sniff of a bottle of Skuld and loved the honey. And people on the forum had talked positively about the honey. And honey is my most beloved note, which I tend to amp. So I was really disappointed when at first I didn't smell any honey at all. It was all ylang ylang, all the time. The musks slowly crept in for some support, but I was still disappointed. And eventually, there was some honey, mostly overshadowed by the ylang ylang, but it was there. And I like that stage. It's a brief stage, but I like it. After about 5 minutes, Skuld's honey goes away again and I'm left with the musks and ylang ylang, but that was a good stage. It's too bad it doesn't last longer.