Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Coyote

The Native American Creator / Trickster God of Chaos and Change. The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

oh man, this is so evocative. i don't know why or what, but it just IS. it's warm and a bit sweet and i can smell musk and amber and something sweet with a slight spice that reminds me of dragon's blood, but doesn't seem to actually be dragon's blood, because that is a note that does not work on me. this scent smells so soft to me, but in a tactile way, not soft in a scented way. it's very lovely!

Fascinating...this is a very animalistic scent. I'm surprise at how much I'm liking this. It's very warm and musky, but it's so soft. It's like...if musk were tea, this is how it would smell. Sometimes musk is overbearing, but it's very gentle in Coyote. It has this quality that smells like an animal, but I'm not really sure how, and not in a bad way either.

I would absolutely adore this scent on a guy. It's strong and manly, yet not overpoweringly nauseating like some colognes. "Strong enough for a man, gentle enough for a woman"? In my opinion, Coyote has a lot of potential to be a "sex scent" for those of us who cringe at honey and musks.

my first stepfather was half Cherokee and half Cajun... so he was an interesting critter, yes. and, through him, i became much more familiar than most with true American Indian life... and history.

anyway, my point, i grew up knowing the smell of doeskin and sweetgrass...

and i loves me some dark musk... the skankier the better.

amber? eh, not so much.

this has been reviewed quite a few times, so i'll just give my final verdict:

untanned leather and a freshly sharpened pencil.

When I first tried this, I didn't like it -- the musk was too strong and overpowered the other notes. Now, I appreciate it a bit more, but I'm still not sure whether I'd wear it that often. To me, it smells exactly like the desert where I grew up-- yucca and dirt and stuff. The musk has mellowed since I first got it (over a year ago), so it's not so overpowering. I think I'll just keep this for when I'm away from the desert and get homesick.

Soft, woody, husky and warm. This smells like autumn without the fruit and spice that is usually portrayed in autumn blends. It is both dry and creamy...a golden brown scent.

It is all warmth. There is lots of amber and musk in here. It has the comforting smell of warm fur. There is something bright and clean in it too, must be the grasses. I like this one, but I don’t love it.

I've noticed that anything that lists something like "dry plains grasses" in it tends to do horrible things with me. But heck, I am somewhat of a masochist, so here we go.

In the vial - Very, very perfume-y musk. It smells like something I'd bye from a department store, not BPAL.

Wet - Warm, musky and somewhat earthy. Very comfortable.

Drying - A sharpness of what I suppose are the dry grasses is coming out and it's not at all what I was so worried about. Yet. This isn't a heavy scent nor as cloying as it seemed wet. The amber warms the musk nicely and in a way that isn't at all animal. The woods somehow seem to damp down the grass, too, which is nice. Oddly, I like this one!

Dry (1 hour) - Oh look, it's amber! It must go powdery! :P It's still very nice, despite the powder. It somehow is able to remain complex with my skin chemistry, which is never known to happen.

Overall - I do like this one, but I'm just not sure if I'll wear it. It's a "maybe" for right now with more tries coming up.

In the vial: Almond milk, milky black tea. This is what I expected White Rabbit to smell like (it didn't)

Wet: Almond soap. Specifically it reminded me of Villainess Soap's Silk and Cyanide. Corn silk and almond extract. A soft almond creme. It morphs quickly though, into what I'm not certain.

Dry: A milkbath with a hint of sugar. It smells very natural and comforting. Like Earl Grey with lots of milk.

I do get some of the soft clean furry animal and dry plains now that I read descriptions, but the milk and tea thing is what I thought with my mind uninfluenced.

It's definitely a comforting scent. Very much a natural skin scent. No way this could offend anyone's nose, it's so organic, in a sense. I want a bottle.

Edited by Carmencita

In the vial this is a lovely scent of warm sunshine and musk. It reminds me of my early teens. I would run around bare foot in the summer at my grandparents in the gully with the warm, soft dirt and the almost dried grasses between by toes. The smell of the sunshine, the musky sweat and the sweet grassy smell all combine to make this a scent that I will have to have. Its a perfectly enchanting fragrance. :P

I ordered this as a mood-enhancer for the term paper I'm working on about racism against Native Americans.

It is seriously perfect. Smells can really bury me in the world I'm trying to bring to life and Coyote didn't fail me. I smell desert wind, leather, and what smells like sweet grass and sage all nicely topped off with a bit of musk and earth.

Excellent, excellent, excellent. And when I'm done with my paper, this will be nice just to have around for those days when I need something soft and different. :P

Wet: yummy - green and woodsy and warm and amber and musk all at once.

Dry: it stays just about the same, but blends together much more nicely.

This is a real find, because I adore amber but it usually doesn't work for me, so an amber scent that works on me is marvelous.

I adore Coyote. There's just something about it--something warm and cozy and free--that puts me in a good mood right away. It's warm and musky, but the musk isn't overpowering. None of the elements of it are, in fact. They fit together beautifully.

I actually ordered this unsniffed, more for the boy than for me, but I am excited to try it anyway because the description of it somehow just entices me :D

Bottle: Sweet and herbal, but also perfumey

Wet: Not very strong. Ah there's the soft, downy and somewhat nutty musk :P and the sunny amber (which works on me this time!) Still rather perfumey...

Dry: This dries down very soft and light, and very "clean". I'm glad the woods don't turn into pencil shavings or wood chip on me! The amber also seems to work okay for me in this blend, although there is a slight slight sharpness/tartness, which might be due to the amber on my skin. But it could also be the grasses. Overall, I enjoy wearing this :D I will definately need to test it some more. It is quite evocative I think. But also not very loud.

I don't think I would need a whole bottle for myself, but it will be interesting to see how it works on the boy's chemistry, and also how it ages...

ETA: I should've waited about 20 mins. more to include that now it smells alot more dry-grassy, and I actually really love that! The tartness or whatever it was is gone! It's like a sweet warm skin smell. I love it now! Yay :)

Edited by Browneyes

I'm so in love... this was a frimp, and thank goodness. It's been on my wishlist since forever but for some reason never migrated over to the "next order" list.

It starts with sweet, soft, golden grasses just baking in the sun, with a warm, musky, leather-y skin scent in the background. This lasts and lasts on me, although the grasses gradually fade it leaves the most perfect amber/golden musk scent that just smells sweet, warm and glowing.

This has just zoomed into my top ten list.

Grassy green and musky, but mostly grass, it seems. This is a warm scent, and it smells like being outside, to me. I actually like the scent even though it's not something that I'd wear. If I smelled this one someone else I think I would instantly like that person.

I like the concept of this one, and I think the scent is great for what it's supposed to be evoking. Because of that I kind of have a soft spot for this scent. It makes me think of playing outside with my dogs.

Wow, this is fabulously unique! I have never smelled another BPAL that quite compares to this. I'm finding it a bit hard to describe. There is a gorgeously sweet, golden base of amber and the sexy essence of a man. There is an indescribable greeness to the overtones; they are fresh, clean, yet soft and sweet at the same time. I'm sorry, but the best way I can describe this is :

This is what a hot guy smells like!! :P

Love it, I'm sorry I waited so long to try it!!

As Coyote dries on me, I get the sweet, warm musk and amber -- that creamy note I like so much in other blends. I mean, this is a very wearable scent.

But when it's just wet on me? Freshly wet? I'm amazed. The sweetgrass predominates, I suppose, but what I get is a scent picture of the fresh, clean tallgrass prairies of the Great Plains where I grew up... and a deep longing to romp around loose and chase prairie dogs. Okay, maybe not that last part literally. I just never thought you could get big-sky country in a little teeny imp, but apparently the Lab can -- wind through the tall grasses in the sun, yum. I could wish it lasted a bit longer (my fair skin drinks oils), but my tail is wagging.

At first this is warm, musky and dusty dry grasses. And then... powder. Bloody amber gets me nearly every time, pity because I really liked this.

One of my first tries with amber notes (all the others I'd attempted had been overpowered by honey.)

I remember smelling this, and getting 'dust' and 'skin musk' quite clearly, and feeling the sense of a coyote-scent distinctly. However, I also remember not even remotely wanting ME to smell like it. This is more art than perfume to me; a perfect image in scent, but not a perfume, on any level.

Of course, I like to smell like a girly-girl :P

i love this. it reminds me of tenochtitlan only muskier and less sweet. i think i need to get a big bottle of coyote. it's difficult for me to pick out individual notes but it is dry in a good way and very warm.

Starts off woody, musky and wonderful when wet. Drying down, the strong woods back off, letting the musk and amber play off each other.

This is just so soft and wonderful! After an hour on my skin, this is a very gentle, oh-so dusty musk.

I can't believe it - the amber is actually behaving on me! :) :D

While I'm somewhat suspicious of my skin, this is the second time I've tested Coyote, and both times it's been the same musky result. Colour me shocked, delighted, and quite possibly on for a bottle of this yummy blend when the imp runs out! :P

*Pets the coyote*

EDIT: Screw the "quite possibly on for a bottle" nonsense - I am DEFINITELY getting me a bottle of this. I have, since this review, fallen utterly in love with Coyote, and it's my most-reached-for bedtime scent. It's also Boy approved. Adore it. :D

Edited by funkmoppet

This was the first BPAL scent I tried, and it made a great impression!

At first, the amber is the dominant note and it does seem perfumey.

Before too long, though, the musk gets stronger and levels the scent out.

Once it dries, it's a sweetened musk and I think I can detect the dry grasses coming through. It's a soft and warm scent, very comforting.

Also, for a lighter scent, it lasts surprisingly long on me, about 6-7 hours.

This has remained one of my favorites.

Edited by Shollin