Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Coyote

The Native American Creator / Trickster God of Chaos and Change. The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

In the bottle: Very, very grassy. Grass, soft smoke, and musk underneath.
Wet on skin: Grass, dirt, something almost fruity - kind of reminds me of cherry-tobacco scent, before it's been smoked.
Dry on skin: Grass and dust fading back a bit, and the musk note is turning sweet and sharp. I'm still getting that almost-fruit note.
Over time: This is turning sweet and almost floral, losing its dust/dirt note. The amber and musk are still there. It's a dry grassy musky kind of sweet. Sunny.
Overall: I wanted grass and hot dirt and animal musk out of this, and got something sweeter and more delicate. I don't dislike it, but I'm a little disappointed and won't be ordering any. 3/5

Personally, I don't get "coyote" out of it at all, which is my main source of disappointment. I love the concept of coyote and of Coyote, and this just doesn't feel like my thoughts about him. Edited by Shollin

This scent was a thru Forum purchase in hopes of finding something with any similiar note to Buck Moon, but what I found was something quite different.

Before drydown(wet, when first applied):

A very dry, almost to the point of being dusty, grassy earth smell, like the scent of dirt being shovelled onto tired, sun-baked plains of tall, crisped grass.

5-10 minutes in: Something much sweeter becomes prominent, a dry sort of fruity smell that rounds into a mellow musk, and the dried grass and earth components become far less distinct. This scent is softening in throw rather quickly on me, but I can detect a faint glimpse of amber now becoming steady (where as it wasn't readily detectable before drydown).

This scent does indeed seem to be quite the morpher, but the final product just isn't what I was looking for: A soft, dried-sweet musk with a nearly fruity component to it that is pleasant and uncomplicated.

Throw: Minimal throw, I have to press my nose to my wrist to smell it after only about 30 minutes.

Verdict: 6.0/10.0 (score). It was a worthwhile experience to test this, but I think this little imp is going to make his way to the swap/gift pile.

Court

Edited by Court Analyst/Strategist

First on: Not much scent – a little dry grass maybe. Not enough of anything to describe, although there is a kind of desert-ish feeling to it. I can’t really explain that, since I am not consciously smelling much of anything. :D

About 1/2 hour later: Ooooohhh.... Wild honey warmed by the sun, white sage, and a soft dusty something – maybe a bit of fur? Wow! This is the scent of a warm southwest desert afternoon, with honey on top. Golden, melting, and just the tiniest bit tricky somehow (that must be Coyote peeking through). :D

2 hours later: The wild honey scent (could that have been the amber and musk together?) has backed off, leaving a perfect dry, dusty spring evening filled with gently aromatic desert plants and just the faintest hint of ephemeral desert wildflowers. :D

4 hours later: It's all gone now, but I surely did love it. This is just the right thing to help me start breathing again if I start to feel trapped in that little gray cubicle during the week. Beth, I'd say you got it just right. :P

:D

Edited by celtimor

Acquired from a swap. :D

In the Imp: Hmm. This isn't what I was expecting, exactly, but I like it. I can smell cedar, the slightly peppery blend Beth uses to simulate leather (that just doesn't show up as leather to my nose... :P ), some kind of golden musk, and dry, spicy amber. It does sort of give the impression of being parched, and also quite masculine. Cedar's on top at the moment, that might be why.

Wet Amber, musk, cedar and something sweet, like berries, mixed with yellow grass. I think I might actually be getting a little doeskin, too... not the smell so much as an impression of the texture of suede. This is surprisingly gentle and pleasant (which is good, because I just slung some all over my desk. :D What is it with me these past few days? Imps have been slipping out of my hands left and right.) The wood has receded to a faint background, the musks are soft, the amber not overwhelming, the berries add a bit of zest.... this is so light as to be almost not there. Once again, not what I was expecting, but me likey.

Dry: I have to sniff hard to smell it, but what I can catch, I'm diggin'. It's a very, very soft, fuzzy (furry?) coat of amber, musk, cedar, and grass, with just a twinge of.... hmm, blackberry, maybe? Raspberry? Some kind of berry. It seems to me to have more in common with a mother coyote nuzzling her pups than the trickster in the stories, but nevertheless, I'm keeping this Imp. It will be perfect for days when I want to feel cozy, but don't want to overwhelm everyone around me with perfume. :D

Wow. So Coyote lives up to its name. I removed cap to apply, and the imp went skirling off into space, dumping 90% of its contents on me, the desk, the floor, the rug, and the wall probably.

I could HEAR it cackling as it was spiralling.

Anyway it smells like desert.

In the imp: VERY sweet, quite surprising! Spicy and dusty as well.

On my skin: this is another morpher! It's now sweetgrass and sand.

Drydown: really fresh, bringing to mind images of empty grasslands with long, dried out plants blowing in a hot wind.

Overall: This fades quite quickly, so I'm rather undecided about it as of yet. The grass notes are very beautiful, though.

liquid: brown sugar? or burnt wood

on my skin: somethink musky, it's so male!! Earthy too, with something "dry" that I can't recognize, seems dried sage, or smoke.

Definitely a male scent and for an adventurous man, who likes exploring and travelling and wants to be seen

oh yes. This is what I needed. Light, smooth, an warm. The musk is very prominent, but not overbearing. There is a slight flowery/powdery note coming through, but its subtle enough to actually smell quite nice. I can detect a slight hint of buckskin/tanned hide and the dusty plains grass is there as well. all told this is really cool, though T says "it smells like an old lady. its feminine." i blame the taco flavored dip she's been eating for the last 30 minutes.

This is what I hoped Scarecrow would smell like! Grassy, dusty, masculine, yet with a touch of warmth and sweetness from the musk and amber. Evokes the great outdoors, wide open fields. Wild in spirit, yet beautiful. I am getting my husband a bottle and making him share :P

At first, a little bit of wood, no grass, no doe-skin, and unexpectedly sweet. As it dries, the sweetness goes away and the leather/doe peaks out a bit more. This blend continues to warm and improve with wear. A great scent, but a serious morpher.

This was unexpectedly sweet on me. I was expecting something more like The Lion.

The scent was almost floral/fruity in its sweetness and was far more feminine thn I was expecting. I couldn't pick up any of the dry grassiness or woodiness that the scent was supposed to have. So unfortunately with the floral edge and sweetness, this just does not suit me.

The Trickster will be confined to the swap pile!

In the bottle: warm and spicy

On the skin: The musk and amber are warm, and the dry grass and doeskin... it's really a rich warm scent that reminds me of old bookstores. I love this one! I totally got a sign from Coyote to buy it, so this totally works out. I love amber too much.

First Sniff (in imp): men's cologne + amber. Not bad.

Wet: Wow this is really surprising me. I smell the amber right away, and there is a subtle background of woodyness. Lovely!

Dry: Wow. I was not expecting this to turn out so lovely on my skin. I thought it would be like a "meh" manly cologne-smell. No. Its...like...what you'd smell like if you stepped out of the shower and then directly through some smoking incense. It's a very clean, skin smell. I love it! Definitely not trading my imp, and considering a 5mL.

Coyote reminds me of the soap or shampoo in a Walt Disney World resort room, but not in a, y'know, soapy way. I know this sounds bad but it's really not, and I think it's mostly a nostalgia thing. It makes me think of vacation and the south and relaxation and warmth and sun.

In the bottle: Light musk and grasses, very outdoorsy.

Wet: Warm musk and amber, with fresh grasses peeking out. It smells a bit powdery.

Drydown: It's slightly citrusy, I hadn't expected that. There's a mix of all kinds of grasses, one of which smells a bit powdery. It's a warm blend, and now that I think of it, I can actually smell real grass, the same note as in Val Sans Retour. There's still a slightly fruity smell in there, but I can't put my finger on it.

Overall: It smells a bit like grass/herb-scented soap or powder on me. There's a bitter undertone probably from woods, and the grass note tends to give me a bit of a headache (though it's not as obnoxious as in Val Sans Retour). While it does smell very much like nature, it isn't really my thing.

this is just gorgeous, i love it so much. musky, dusty like dry grass, but gentle and sweet. warm. just absolutely delicious. :P

I expected this to be a more animalistic scent and while there's definitely something musky there, it's just kind of hanging out in the background. I can smell a little of the other notes but very little, sadly. What amber is present peeks its head up long enough to give the overall scent a slightly sweet overlay before ducking back down again. If I didn't know there was amber in this, I wouldn't have guessed it was in here at all, it's that subtle. The dry grasses and faint woodsy aromas come out a little more but it's still very soft and gentle.

At first I was somewhat disappointed with this. I'm a great lover of dogs, particularly wild canids, and I wanted so badly to fall instantly, madly in love with this scent. Like I mentioned, I was really hoping for a more powerful animal scent.

However, I've worn it a few times now and am more and more amazed by how subtle everything is in here. Then it all made sense. Coyotes are not an 'in your face' type of creature. They're sneaky and subtle, creeping around and taking what they want in little bits and pieces. And while this particular fragrance fades quickly on me, it's very much a stealthy sort of scent. It's definitely grown on me and I'll likely end up experimenting by adding a few drops of something with a bit more zing to see what kind of a rise I can get out of this particular critter.

In the imp: Musk

Wet: Skin musk and musk

Drydown: Skin musk and amber, and something a little pungent and herbal. Dried grass makes olfactory sense to me, even though I don't get a distinctly dry grass smell here. Maybe a little vetiver? It's close to the earth without being earthy, warm without being spicey and feral while still being calm.

It's masculine, and probably something my dad would appreciate, so I'll be passing the imp along to him.

This is the glorious smell of the sun-warmed Painted Desert. This scent doesn't morph much--it's warm and dry, the breeze through the grasses and sagebrush, with a slightly fruity hint like prickly-pear jelly. Musk often turns vile on me, but not so here. Instead, it adds a subtle feral sweetness. Throw is medium and it lasts well. Definitely a big bottle scent.

Ha ha! In the bottle and wet this was totally the childhood drugstore perfume counter!

I have skinned a coyote before and I have to say it doesn't smell like this. It smells like wet dog.

But I am not one to be locked into literal so I made up a little story about how Coyote got to smell like this.

He was out roaming around one day and he found himself down by the riverbank. well, you know how Coyote is always horny. It's never far from his mind, or wherever, and today was no exception. He sees this cute muskrat lady (I know muskrats aren't known for their Beauty, but maybe it's the smell..) and Coyote thinks, "I gotta get me some of that. Let's see if I have anything in this bag that will cover up my dog smell...ah, yes, here it is.." and he slathers a bunch of musk on. He ambles up to where the muskrat-ess is working, "hey baby" but she takes one look at him, and is outta there.

Hmmm, that should have worked thinks Coyote, guess I better move on. He heads up and away from the river til he gets to this stretch of grassy plain. It's a gorgeous day, and the wind is blowing all that tall grass around, and across the field he sees the sweetest little doe, "Oh baby!" he thinks, and starts rummaging around in his pack til he finds the deer scent. He starts towards her, but she doesn't fall for it either and leaps across the field and out of sight. Dejected and not so horny any more, he decides to head home for dinner. Who knows, maybe his old lady will be in the mood...

He gets home and he goes inside and his kids start running and tumbling over to their daddy, but then they take a whiff and they can't smell anything like Coyote anymore, even though he looks right, so they get afraid, and start calling for their mom. She comes out to see what all the fuss is and when she sees her old man and smells him, she knows he's been up to his old tricks and chases him out of the house.

My daughter likes it cause she likes the Lion. This was similar, without the cinnamon/matsutake note. I loved the way it smelled once it dried down. I will be trying it again to see how long it takes to get to the point where it is irresistable to me...

If not for the name & description I don't know if I would think "coyote" by the scent. The "gentle" adjective definitely applies, though.

I'm not very good at understanding amber and tend to think it too strong, so I bought a handful of amber-laced imps (plus my boyfriend loves it). He really is drawn to the other ones (Haunted, etc.) but he seems apathetic about Coyote, while I really love it. It's perfumey, but not strong. Very warm and soft, like a mirage on the edge of a desert of a big luxurious bed planted there for no reason except to tempt you.

Genderwise it's shifty: I can't stop sniffing my wrist, and one sniff feels distinctly masculine, while the next sniff seems like a warrior princess on her night off from battle.

Whoa, when wet, Coyote smells like some sort of tea. Definitely a grassy scent, but absent of clorophyll. The amber comes out, though, rich and roaring. There's a note that smells a touch like soap, but in a good way, preventing the amber from being too cloying. It dries down a bit to a softer amber-musk fragrance that I'm loving. Very pleasant.

Wait... is this test spot itching?

I really wanted to try this scent because of my enjoyment of many of the amber blends the Lab has. The fragrance doesn't disappoint in the least, although I can't shake how the test spot on my skin seems a liiiittle itchy. I'll have to try this again to make sure there's nothing that's irritating my skin. It's not like the burning sensation I had with Spooky; that was a true allergic reaction to something or another. With Coyote, it doesn't burn, but it itches a little. Hmm... I'll have to think about this longer.

Scentwise, though, it's an ace.

-doreen

I really liked this on my mom, because it smelt like The Lion.

This is what it smells like on me: Vetiver, wich I normally like, but really bitter, so much so that it gave me a headache. Ugh. It didn't change either.

In the imp: Amber. Soft, dry, dusky

Wet: Soft, supple leather, grasses, amber. A surprising amount of throw!

Dry: Warm, comforting, protective. Like summer heat. Mainly amber and musk, but still a hint of leather.

I find this scent strangely protective, and calming. Very unusual, very good. A keeper!