Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Coyote

The Native American Creator / Trickster God of Chaos and Change. The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

Coyote and I didn't really get along with each other. It was a very mediocre scent on me. At first it smells a bit herbal and I get the impression of green grasses. In the drydown it is a very perfumey musk. It smells sort of dusty.

It's light and fades pretty fast.

ETA:
Testing a 2016 frimp. This smells weirdly of cola syrup and cherry almond in the imp and on my skin. On my skin, it also has a warm, powdery, white musky amber thing going on. Not really any grass or wood. Strangely sweet. I still don't get this scent, 11 years later, lol.

Edited by Little Bird

I have somehow managed to spend the past 9 months in complete ignorance of Coyote's existence. So - many thanks to the lab for passing it on to me! This is really just beautiful. It is truly The Lion's masculine counterpart. Where The Lion is sweet and spicey, Coyote is dry and dusty. Both are warm and comforting, though, and put me in a mood for snuggling. I'm tempted to get a bottle even though the two are so similar. Perhaps the best plan of action would be to find the nearest boy to slather it on...

Coyote is a breath of warm, herb-filled summer wind. I've been so caught up in aquatics lately, when I tried on Coyote I was immediately aware of its heat.

I don't detect any animal-type musks or even that kitty scent I get from Black Cat in Coyote, but there is definely a soft, supple scent of suade here. It blends perfectly with the warm herbs.

This has to be one of my absolute favourite BPAL scents. It's comforting, sweet (in a lovely herbal way), and warm...like a perfect August day.

Hmm, this is nice, but not at all what I was expecting. It went on much sweeter than I thought it would. I'd been worried, since it seemed to be so popular with the BPAL boys, that it might be another one like Sri Lanka that would smell overwhelmingly like men's cologne, but it's actually much sweeter on me than I thought it would be. But it's not at all a flowery type of sweetness -- more of a herbal or slightly spicy/incensey sweetness.

It also does the odd thing that a few scents do on me -- smell markedly different on my wrists than it does in the crooks of my arms. It's much less sweet on the arms than the wrists, and in that version, I can definitely see why it's popular with the guys. It's more musky/earthy there, and more something I could associate with Coyote. But not to the point where it seems inappropriate on me. The musk/earth element is definitely there on the wrists too, but there's more of a sweet, grassy/ferny type of scent in the forefront. Hmmm, maybe the wrist version is a she-Coyote in disguise. You'd expect a scent named after a trickster to be tricksy, after all, and I seem to recall that Coyote does occasionally do a bit of gender-bending in the legends...

Overall, quite nice. It has an appealing complexity, and a warm, sunny/summery feel. I don't know if it will become a top favourite just yet, but I think it's definitely a keeper.

Grade: B, maybe B+

Edited by Miss Lynx

once again, this was a freebie imp (THANK YOU!!) that i probably would never have gravitated to.

and once again, i love it. it has somethng in it that cathedral also has - not sure which note, but it's the one that reminds me of stone - wet pavement or cement, and it is incredibly nice. in the morning ( i wore it to bed)...there was a lovely amber smell remaining, which is i guess what it dries down to on my skin. also: i dreamed of animals - a white snowy owl, actually, with little brown spots. coyote is comforting - like having protective animals around you.

*Whimper*

Coyote's broken my heart. Wet, all I could smell was a strong, strong lemon soap. Then it faded into a lovely musk and amber, then the other elements came out, one by one, each having a little duet with the musk. Then musk. Musk. More musk. MUSK MUSK MUSK MUSK MUUUUUUUSK.

I think I've discovered my skin's affinitiy. Not that it's a bad musk, necessarily. It's just an "oh, you're wearing musk!" kind of scent on me. Lemony, a little powdery, and animal.

Maybe I'll try it again, wearing it the whole day through and see if the musk doesn't calm down and let the other scents come out to play. I was so completely sold on this scent before, so I'm glad I just got an imp for now.

Edit: After about three hours, the scent quiets significantly and becomes much more balanced; soft, tawny and wonderful, just as I had hoped! And my guy loves it on me! Definitely getting a bottle of this, though I wish I could have it both strong AND nice-smelling =)

Edited by aedes

I wanted to love this... but I just didn't. I hoped for something soft and warm and dry, and instead it went sharpish on me, kind of acrid. Must be my body's chemistry. Bastet didn't do this, thankfully.

My SO wrinkled his nose and said, "Chemically." Then he allowed that he could make out a bit of sage in it. Too bad it wasn't more sagey and deserty on me. As it never mellowed into something I liked, it will be passed on to someone else.

In the imp, Coyote smells like dirt. But, not the OMG EW! type of dirt. Hm. After sitting on my skin for a few minutes, it goes really soft and kinda powdery. :P I can't pick out any notes, but it's nothing significant. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I'll have to try it again with more than just a quick swipe on my arm to get an idea before I decide what's going to become of this imp.

most of the reviews for this are dead on: soft, comforting, downy. this is a very mamalian scent. and it makes me think not of Coyote the Trickster, but of the coyote mother, nursing her cubs and her soft fur.

i am torn on if i want a bottle. for now, i'll keep the imp and see how often i reach for it.

n.

I love this scent! Not on me but definitely on judas_kiss. Mmm nummy, nums.

No regrets Coyote

We just come from such different sets of circumstance

I'm up all night in the studios

And you're up early on your ranch

-- Joni Mitchell

In The Bottle: Amber and musk for sure. Not too sure about anything else in there but very calming and soothing dusty woody scent.

Wet on Skin: Mmmmm tasty musky doeskin soothing succur of scent.

Drydown: The grassy green scent calms into a languid and discreetly sexy and soothing calmness that bewitches the mind and ensnares the senses.

This scent is great but seems more suited to the female chemistry. Not for me but love it, love, love truly love, love it on Judas.

I had to try this, as I feel very connected to the coyote and have for most of my adult life. I was not dsappointed.

Imp: oooh, a lot of amber and musk with a soft sweetness underneath.

On: Wet phase, this all amber and musk. There is a slight tang of doeskin coming forward as well as something that is slighly silly and sharp, like coyote just got a thorn in his foot, but is laughing hyterically. This is a soft caucophony of scents, suited to the trickster God for sure.

After a couple of hours, this starts to go all baby powder on my skin. Scenting my hair is fine, though. I think it's worth it to reapply it to my skin from time to time. I'll buy a 5mL

Edited by judas_kiss

I dont understand why this smells like violets to me.. ick. I'm beginning to really hate violets.

I smell a little bit of spiciness, but I smell a lot of strange florals. Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting the amber? I just don't remember amber smelling like this.

I'm also getting a light cat urine smell that isn't at all desirable. Grrrar. I love coyotes and wolves and the concept of this scent. I just don't get along with the reality.

This strikes me as a night-out-on-the-town sort of scent. I can imagine Coyote himself wearing it when he assumes human form and goes clubbing. (Next day, a

young woman is going to wake up wondering what happened to the cute guy she brought home from the club, and why her bed is full of dog hair.)

In bottle: very clean and woodsy

Wet: still very woodsy like a log that's been sitting in the rain, but there's a spiciness to it, almost like the nutmeg in Baghdad. I managed to get my husband to try this and it smelled rather sweet on him, oddly.

Dry: woodsy and perhaps a little leathery?? There's a very faint spicy-sweet note that keeps it from being completely masculine. I like it, but I don't think I'll be buying a big bottle. On my husband the spicy note is completely amped up, almost like a completely different fragrance.

This was very interesting. I had to give it two tries to make up my mind. My favorite smell in the entire world is dry grass on a summer night, and for a heart-stopping moment Coyote smelled just like that. Then the sweet grassiness faded down into a more musky scent, still sweet, so I had to get over the disappointment.

On the second wearing, though, I really liked it. It's a wonderful "skin" scent, with the sweetness of grass and musk, like what I imagine a Sioux's clothing would smell like. I'll certainly use up my imp, and maybe look into a bottle eventually.

This smells like doeskin and dried grass in the imp. On my skin, the amber takes over and it gets a little perfumy. I think i need to try this again later in hopes that i was just having a wonky body chemistry day because this is gorgeous in the imp

A freebie from the Lab.

This dries down to a skin-hugging, comfy scent. It's a warm blend of wood, amber and faint musk. It's not really for me but it's nice.

I don't get woods or amber from this. I get dry grass and a very soft musk.

It reminds me a bit of Buck Moon, minus the wood and that 'clear summer night' quality. This is a subtle and lovely scent, neither adjective I would have thought to associate with this oil prior to trying it.

this smelled a lot like the lion, but without the amber note that went all sour on my skin. musky and spicy and sun-warmed fur. i didn't *dislike* the scent, it smelled very nice - but i don't like smelling musky.

In the imp: Sweet and almond-like, similar to Bastet. Possibly that's the wood aspects of the scent talking, with an underpinning of musk.

On, wet: The musk is a lot more obvious now, and the almond-like character has faded off.

Drydown: A very pleasant musk, sweetened by the amber, with a dash of green grassy notes.

I like it, although it has similarities to other scents that I like more. I'll probably swap it, but I think it's a good one all the same.

Frimp luv'n from the lab! :P

In the bottle: dry sweet grass and amber.

Wet: dry sweet grasses and amber

Dry down: sweet grass, amber with a subtle something else? Maybe it is the doe skin?

30 minutes: sweetness tones down though it is still there. It is so well blended, that I can't pick out individual notes. This is a trickster scent, very appropriate.

Conclusion: I like this. I haven't smelled Lion, which I have seen some reviews comparing them. I think I need to try it as well, since Coyote and I got along so well.I paint SW art watercolors, and I have painted Coyote numerous times. This scent smells like him. I am going to wear this to an art show I have in Taos next year. I think I will wear him when I want to get in the mood to paint. I see Coyote and I dancing under a full moon from a big bottle. :D Now if I could just get one of Raven (not The Raven like in Poe's poem the Native American version, the master trickster). That would be perfect. :D

In Bottle: Musk and patchouli

On Skin: I smell patchouli, or something with that earthy dirt smell. The amber is very light, sadly… I was hoping for it to be a dominant note. The musk is a bit feral which does give a “doeskin” feeling. I also imagine burying my face in a coyote’s fur after he’s been napping in the sun and getting that animal sleepy smell (my dogs get it). The woods and grasses smell like a field in fall, not quite fresh but not dead either… just dry and earthy. The patchouli note has faded (yay!) and the amber surfaces a bit more sweetening the blend. This scent is very light, not much throw. It’s also calm and peaceful which is a bit of a contradiction to the “Chaos” description. After about 20 minutes it fades into my skin.

In the bottle, all I could smell was amber, strong and headache-inducing. But once I put it on my arm, it morphed instantly into the scent of dried grasses and lazy afternoons. I don't smell the doeskin, but the musk is just warm enough to keep the grassy scent from overpowering me. This is a very unusual perfume; very complex.

I think I'll have to wear it a time or two to decide how I feel about it.

ETA: Dry, an hour later: All I can smell is amber, and it's giving me a headache. Off to swap.

Edited by harmonyfb

In the bottle: Very strange. It actually reminds me of the smell of a cheap motel room. Not like Bates Motel, but maybe a Day's Inn or something.

Wet: Still very much the smell of a cheap hotel. Like other people have lived there, so there's a ghost of someone else's shampoo, maybe woman's perfume, the sweetness of cleaning solvents and freshly cleaned linens done with an unfamiliar detergent.

Dry: This one was a very strange sensory perception for me. It's not necessarily a bad smell--it didn't make me gag or anything, but I can't see myself wearing the smell of the Day's Inn. Overall, I'd give it a 2.5-2.75/5.

In the imp: Very soft amber.

Wet, on skin: Dry grass! Earthy, but with a little sweetness underneath. A grassland, not in the middle of the day, under a harsh sun, but during the evening, when it's warmer.

Dry: The dry grass smell is far, now, and what is left is a warm, comforting musk, like skin. This is a mother coyote, as the sun sets and her babies snuggle up against her for warmth and comfort. She doesn't move, but her eyes are wide open, and she's very aware of every single movement around her. Her babies have nothing to worry about, they know their mother will protect them no matter what. I love this...

Although Coyote shares a grassy note with the Lion, I find them to be nothing alike. The Lion is harsh and hot, Coyote is a very warm and comforting 'skin' scent.