Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Coyote

The Native American Creator / Trickster God of Chaos and Change. The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

To my nose, Coyote smelled the same in the vial and wet on my skin. It was a rich blend of amber and warm musk. I could imagine a Coyote having this scent. It was sun-drenched and animalistic simultaneously.

Once dry, it began to have a herbal undertone that reminds me vaguely of Yggdrasil. By the end of the day, the amber and musk have faded into the background and the herbal scent is prominent.

This is a long-lasting scent. It has been almost 10 hours and it is still going strong!

I like this more than I thought I would, though it's probably not enough of a "me" scent for me to want a big bottle of it. For a while, it was a combination of grassy, dusty, and earthy in a rather dry way (makes sense for "Coyote"). After about 20 minutes a sweetness emerged, which sort of softened the scent and made me like it more ... made it feel more like something I would really want to wear. I'd like to try this more ... an interesting scent and very unlike something I would usually choose. I did enjoy wearing it and it had a nice staying power on me.

This was pretty much the same in the bottle, wearing, and hours later.

The notes I get are dusty grass and doeskin/suede (which reads as a muskier, lighter leather scent on me).

The grassy note is very similar if not identical to the one i get in The Lion.

In fact they read as similar on me, in tone and throw power (both moderate)

- it's as if the substitution of amber in the lion with the "doeskin" aspect here makes Coyote the more masculine counterpart. (still very wearable for us ladies, but I think it might smell even better on a guy somehow)

But much like The Lion, though I enjoy the scent, it's not inspiring the "must get more" feeling for me.

In coyote, I smell patchouli, honey, and coconut...light musk.

All are combining in a *very* good way.

It's a deeply resinous, earthy scent, of the kind the lab is famous for.

Initial Sniff: Spicy amber, musk and sweet dry grasses in the vial.

Wearing: The musk really comes out on this one - I was expecting my skin to amp up the amber or sweet grassy notes like it usually does, but this is really musky. It was about 90 degrees (F) out today, and after walking to get my mail, I kept smelling animal... and realized it was me! I smelled like musk and fur...

Final Impressions: I definitely did not like the post-sweat smell... I thought I was going to love this one, but I think it is just a tad too much for me.

Ooh i love this one.

In the vial: It smelled kind of dry and dusty, and woody too. Maybe sandalwood.

On my skin: mmmmmmmmmmmm I love it. The dry scent went away and was actually replaced by something wet and almost barely floral, like plants in the desert. I love the musk and amber. It smells warm and cozy.

The next time i order, i'll be getting a bottle.

This is lovely! Much softer than I expected. On my first try, it smelled very fresh and not musky or ambery at all. Now on my second, I can smell the musk and doeskin and grass and woods. It's more dry than I expected, and a little sharp.

A warm and golden amber scent with a hint of dry grasslands. Easy to wear, minimal throw, pleasant. Not terribly long-lasting on me, but reasonable.

In the imp: This seems like a nice herbal. A little astringent. Normally I don't think of the same things as the description when I smell a scent, but this is definitely a native/western sort of scent. There's sagebrush, and the nose-itching smell of the Utah desert on a hot day.

First on: Normally BPAL scents change a lot from bottle to skin on me, but not this guy. See above:)

Dry: Well, gee, Coyote, if you aren't going to change much, there's not a whole lot of point in this review. I suppose maybe the musk and amber are coming out a bit more. This is a very warm scent overall

Overall: This is definitely a bit butch, but since I wear men's colognes anyway, I like it. It's really soothing and mellow.

mmmmmmm. I LOVE Coyote. At first I thought that it was pretty similar to the Lion - mainly lots of amber-y warmth. So I tested them - one on each arm.

Compared to the Lion, Coyote is not so spicy and a little lighter. I still get loads of amber but also either a slight dirt note with dry grass. The dry grassy notes remind me a bit of Hamadryad, which is weird since Hamadryad is a lot more lush to me. The musk stays quiet on me - thank goodness as musks sometimes go funky on me. Not sure that I get any suede. Overall it is a warm smooth dry scent. It makes me imagine lazing in the sun in a area that hasn't had a lot of rain so things are pretty dry and crispy.

Coyote stays pretty close - not a lot of sillage (have to experiment with slathering once I get a big bottle). It is beautiful scent that I need to get a 10 ml of. Right away!

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a word or two: Musky!

In the imp/bottle: Dark, heavy musk, and an equally heavy amber.

On skin, wet: Dominant notes are amber and a deep, dark, warm grass.

On skin, dry: The amber is really beautiful in this, and it compliments the grass very well. The amber in this actually reminds me of vanilla (as my favourite amber notes in blends tend to do).

Conclusion: I really like this. I can't see *myself* wearing it, but this might be divine on a boy-thing.

Edited by Aredhel

tried coyote for the first time today.

in the imp and wet, it is a very light, warm herby scent. slightly astringent, but nice.

as its drying down, it completely disappears. .. . wiley coyote. . . .

but then it comes back, and it is a sweet, warm scent, like being in a field on a sunny day. slightly dusty, slightly wet. .. like there's a watering hole nearby. i really, really like it! its not real strong, and there's not much throw, but it makes me very happy for a few hours. comforting, close.

after about 4 hours, tho, it turns kinda bitter, more like a men's cologne than it started out to be. maybe its the musk residue. it is the only part of this scent i don't like.

i don't know if i'll get a big bottle, although in the initial stages, i would have told you i was.

First Impression: Dry, yet juicy - like lime squeezed on dry straw. I love this one.

Dries down to: The same, but a bit softer. I never thought musk worked on me but in this combination, it's perfect. And, this is yet another example of how well amber works on me - who knew?.

Lasted: Very well, a good 5-6 hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Sniff: Very soft and clean.

Wet: Still soft and clean with musk starting to come up. It's very lovely.

After 20/impressions: Strangely, this smells more like what I thought Dirty might have smelled like. It's very soft, very clean, and the amber is a bit powdery, but in a good way. The musk and grass create a definate sense of the prairie, I think. I'm completely beset with images of wind blowing through a sea of wild grass. It's LOVELY. I think it would make a wonderful blend for sleeping or relaxing.

This is delicious! :P

Sweet, rich amber and dry grasses, exactly :D the musk is very faint and light--perhaps a little darker toned than the musk in Oisin, but not animalistic smelling at all, though it does give the blend a sort of "furry" texture.

If you love amber, you'll proly love this :D

Impressions: Got Coyote in a swap, and goodness it is lovely soft fuzzy musk, pet me soft fuzzy cat fur because I am so damn cute.

In the imp: delicious golden musky

On me, wet: Happy mixed musks.

Drydown: ambery musk, second-skin, suede

Staypower: Excellent.

Verdict: Oh yeah, it's going on the bottle list. 5ml will do me fine :P

Bottle (Imp): Soft and furry, warm.

Just On: A warm scent, I can't pick out notes, but it makes me think of baby animals curled up in the sun to soak up its warmth.

An hour or two later: Very light muskiness, and sunshine. I'm seeing soft cuddly brown fur.

Around 6 hours: Very light sniff of musky softness.

12 hours: Barest hint of soft musk.

Overall: I like it.

After reading other reviews: I'm not quite sure if I want this on the biog bottle list, but it's probably gonna tag along somewhere in there. A musk I can wear is always a good thing.

OMG, this is amazing. The scent of the doeskin is incredible and just perfect. When I first sniffed this, I knew I had to have it (luckily, the possesser of the imp was amenable to a swap! :P ) I wore it to the zoo this weekend, which was somehow perfect.

This is just an amazing scent on...it is like nothing I have ever worn, but it amazingly familiar at the same time. Initially, the doeskin is the most prominent note, with the grasses and the amber and the musk rounding things out a bit. As the day wears on, the musk starts to push forward, but in a nice way.

Unfortunately, Coyote disappears quickly on my husband, which makes me sad.

Regardless, this imp has absolutely made its way into the "must take to Arizona" travel kit, and unless Buck Moon has some similar notes (which is not entirely unlikely), a bottle will be making its way here at some time in the next few months...

I bought an imp to test on my husband. He has a strong connection with the mythical figure of Coyote, so I am really hoping it will work for him. Unfortunately, I keep forgetting to put it on him, or if I do, to wait for the drydown. I will edit if I ever get around to the experiment.

On me, this starts out as quite a sharp, cologne-like, 'masculine' scent. I want to say green, but it doesn't smell exactly like greenery to me, I can't think what it does remind me of, except commerical men's cologne. I'm not so found of this stage, particularly on myself. I'm not girly, but I don't want to smell like a guy, either.

After drydown, it becomes much sweeter, with the musk and amber predominating, a warm, golden scent. It's a tiny bit powdery, but not in a terrible way. However, it also fades very quickly, and after a few hours I can hardly smell it. If I put it on in places (read, cleavage) where it stays warm and moist, it lasts, but that unwelcome sharp note also persists.

I still intend to try this on my guy and see what it does with his skin chemistry. For myself, I don't think it's something I am particularly crazy about. The final drydown is nice, but too faint.

Coyote is a wonderful second-skin scent on my me, with amber, tall dry grasses, and a touch of cedar. The musk gives it an animalistic edge that reminds me of the smell of my dog, which I absolutely adore and is one of the most comforting smells in the world to me.

I'm not sure I'll need more than an imp of this, but I will definitely enjoy using every last drop of what I have.

Bottle: Very strong grassy scent here. Animalistic, musky, masculine. I was actually picturing a Coyote pouncing.

On skin: Still grassy, but the overall scent fades away into a generic colonge soapy scent that can be found anywhere.

Burnt: Little different here only more musky and even more soapy.

It's really not a bad scent, but there are many better scents out there for me. An imp of this would be fine, but I doubt I'd get a bigger bottle. 6/10.

I loved this for all of the half minute that it stayed 'true' on me, like lolling on a fur rug in sunshine.

And then it went massively powdery-floral. :P Demmit. I think I'm going to have to resign myself in that most resins seem to hate me. (with the exception of whatever's in Snake Oil)

Coyote to me is beige. The mood is relaxed, and the element is earth.

In the Bottle or Imp:

Slightly Cedary, sandy dry grassiness.

Wet, on Skin:

Definitely a burst of amber and very light cedar, followed by a gradual sweetening of the grasses. Definitely getting a gentle 'sweetgrass braid' scent here.

Drying Down:

Obtaining a hint of that sweet and tasty 'skin scent' that I get with La Petite Mort, but instead of a floral and resin backdrop, I'm getting creamy woods, and a hint of dry herbs to go along with it.

Dry on Skin:

Same as it's drying down, except maybe a hint more sweetgrass and musk.

Over Time/Longterm:

A light, Southwestern blend that goes from being somewhat sharp to settling into a calm, unobtrusive and slightly woodsy musk.

Final Verdict?

Glad I ordered a 5 mL!

Soft dusty and warm, this isn't really feminine or masculine on me, it's just gorgeous. Sweet dry grasses and warm golden musk and a touch of herbal something over a bit of dry earth. This was far more comforting than I anticipated but true to name sake it's a tricky little blend, constantly switching top notes on me. Great fun, not quite me, but I know a certain old coyote I need to send this too.

in the imp: mmmmmmm. warm woods and resin.

on my wrist, wet: amber is there now. reminiscent of warm dry sunny days, plains grass parched for miles. everything within view is tawny coloured and parched, waiting for rain.

on my wrist, dry: but all is not as it seems. hidden amongst the tall grass, someone is resting. only the keenest of eyes can spot him, seek him out and tease his visage out from his surroundings. the best of messengers stays alive often through suberfuge.

there are notes of musk now, but they are not waging war with my skin. they are -- just there, beneath the surface. you can't even say for sure that they are there. if you sensed them...or not.

drydown: coyote and his habitat. tricksters don't need to cheat to accomplish their goals. all they need to do is hide themselves, and their true intentions.....