Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Coyote

The Native American Creator / Trickster God of Chaos and Change. The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

Wet: warm amber and fuzzy brown musk with a slight incense smell.. copal? There's a mens cologne note in the background..something like white musk and citrus but I think that's supposed to be the grasses.

drydown: still plenty of warm musk and amber. The grasses turn citrusy and sweet. Not bad! The doeskin part is pretty cool but I can't help being freaked out and reassuring myself that it's not real doeskin and if it was it's definitely still attached to a living animal, in theory. (repeat 10 times) :lol:

In the imp: amber and soft leather

Wet: Soft suede leather and... shampoo? o.O I swear, it smells like some vaguely floral-herbal shampoo. With leather, and maybe a hint of musk behind it?

Drydown: The resemblance to shampoo fades, thankfully! The amber comes back, the leather mixes nicely, and the grasses start to come out.

Dry: Warm, slightly powdery amber balanced with grasses and soft leather. The sweetness of the amber melds nicely with the grasses, and the whole thing is warm and soft.

Throw is mild, though it has a little more range than a skin scent, and it lasts fairly well on me. I think this is a new imp, so I'm going to give it a few months to see what aging does. If it ages well, I might just need a bottle of this.

In the Vial: Oh, this is glorious. Smooth, sweet amber and woods - and yes, this is downy. This smells like a warm, cuddly animal. It's velvety, that's the best word to describe it.

Wet: Immediately it gets even smoother and warmer. There's something spicy and foody about this - like cinnamon sugar, maybe. It fades on the drydown, though, as the musk starts to come out. And the grasses; it's starting to smell green, particularly in the throw.

Dry: Not much of a change; the sweetness is ebbing just a bit, but that's it. About fifteen minutes in, it starts to smell a little... milky, somehow.

An Hour Later: That phantom milk note is still lingering in the background, but it's not too obtrusive. Mainly, it still smells like it did before.

Overall: I really like this, but I'm not sure it's for me; that phantom milk note is a little odd. I can't wait to slather it on the boyfriend, though; I think it'll be amazing on him.

I received this as a frimp from the Lab. Coyote really is a grass and musk smell - too grassy for my tastes. The combination of notes smells very cologne-y, and I may try this out on my boyfriend to see if he has better luck with it than I do.

Coyote is one I've meant to try for years but never gotten around to---so when Michi and I recently were exploring each others' collections, I tried a dab of it, and fell instantly in love. It almost has a rosey smell to me, but not like a rose proper---more smoky, like rosewood, or rose incense. I can smell the doeskin and grass and a fire far in the distance. The amber is very dry and not powdery, and the scent melds with my own skin-scent beautifully. I am in LOVE with this scent, have already tracked down an aged half-bottle and ordered another bottle from the Lab. I know this is one I'm going to have to stockpile---if it were ever discontinued, I would be heartbroken.

I had read coyote was a masculine type of scent in some of these reviews so I let my husband try it. The first night he put it on I thought it smelled nice. A bit like a soft cologne. Warm and fuzzy like fur but with a little sweetness to it and some kind of barely there musk in the background. The next day he wore it for me again and it seemed much stronger (maybe he applied more). I could smell it easily just by standing within a few feet of him. For whatever reason it ended up smelling very sweet on him the second time around and I told him not to wear it anymore because it smelled a little girly. Lol. I have not tried it myself but it's not really my type of scent so I probably won't bother.

This was a very easy going smell, so it accomplished that much. It was very baby-powder on me, however. Someone commented that I smelled like I’d just visited a dog groomer, so the throw and mental imagry is effective. Toward the end of the day, it was all baby powder to my nose, but it did carry a hint of warmth and dust. Mission accomplished? Just not my thing.

Part of my first BPAL order where I was going for different types of wood scents. I'm not sure I can smell wood in this one personally, but it does smell very good on me (easily the best out of the few I've tried so far).

Upon opening: Fine, powdery dust, cool and slightly sweet and dry.

Freshly applied: Dusty, cool air is the best way I can describe it. I can't smell it much on myself right after applying, which I'm told means it works well with my body chemistry.

Drying: The dust turns to baby powder, but thankfully only for a few very short moments. I was worried at first that I'd smell like fresh diapers instead of dry plains, but it very quickly starts warming up and leaves the baby powder territory in a hurry.

Later: Very warm, slightly spicy (but not sharp) dust and slight musk. My girlfriend lives in a desert region presently, so she was afraid she wouldn't like the dust aspect, but she wound up grabbing for my wrist now and then to sniff, commenting that it smelled "yummy and feral" on me. It lasts throughout the day after applying, for another bonus.

Definitely a candidate for buying a bigger bottle :)

In the bottle: Lemon? Something citrusy. Fresh air, deep woods, and dry dirt.

On me: fresh air, deep woods, and light musk. Something very clean, and light green, like sweetgrass.

Dry: Dusky and musky, slight hint of leather and sweetgrass. Still fresh air and sunlight. Something lightly spicy, it has a little bit of a bite.

Later: My husband’s leather duster, with musk and sweetgrass. And a smidge of dry dirt. Still quite airy.

I like it, but it’s not quite a scent for me, but I think it would be stunning on my sons. Will put some on them and see what happens. Otherwise, the imp goes into the trade pile.

It's very soft and comforting. I'm amping the amber and its warm, sweet, and inviting. It is a bit masculine so I don't know how often I will wear it. I love it anyway :)

Edited by ziggystardust13

Coyote and I have loved each other for years. It's all dry, warm, dusty sunshine and grasses on me with just a touch of woods. It is such a happy, contented scent. After a few years aging in my cupboard my bottle has grown, if anything, more evocative. It's gotten softer and sits closer to the skin, but the sweet dry grass and warm sunshine smell makes me smile even on the yuckiest of days.

Edited by SadariEvenstar

At first whiff of this, I was like WHOAH! It's definitely a very masculine scent. The final drydown is actually very nice, you can really smell the musk and amber in this. It's not something I would wear very often but I can see this being a great scent to recommend for men.

Prologue: Okay, so I didn't actually want to get this because of the trickster god...but...sigh. I'm going to admit it. I wanted to get this because I really like the Phoenix Coyotes (they're a NHL team) and I wanted to get a scent with the same name, hoping it would embody the concept of that team. :blush: Yes, I am that silly. I originally ordered an imp of this from the lab, but I also purchased a bottle from a forum sale.

Intro: Amber, musk...seems like another BPAL oil that is inoffensive. Didn't jump out at me at first. Seems pretty dry.

Exposition: Warm amber, very musky. I like how warm this is. I...kinda like it! This reminds me more of what I think the Thousand Needles region from WoW would smell like. Oh, or Karaya Grasslands from Suikoden 3! Very dusty, very dry, slightly animalistic. I can see coyotes on a bluff, looking out into their territory. Dries down into a dry desert wind, but spicy! It smells like late August in Phoenix, when it's still blazing hot out but the wind has cooled down juuuuust a bit. For some reason, I'm also getting a slight wet wood after a monsoon storm. It gets a bit spicier as time goes on, but the dust subsides a little. Still pretty dry and animalistic by the end.

Epilogue: This is too warm and fuzzy for my favorite hockey team, but I still love it. Reminds me more of where I've lived and where I live now; I don't really like admitting it, but I do enjoy living in a desert.

Editor's Note 12/3: If you don't want a headache, don't slather this on. I probably only needed to apply some on my chest OR the back of my neck, because I did both and I was swimming in the scent for most of the day. Phew. Very strong.

Edited by ladyflash

Coyote is a scent I've always meant to try, even though it sounds so different from my normal favorites; it just seems like an unusual scent you can only find with BPAL! It's a pretty light red color in the vial, and smells of amber and resin on me. Soft and warm, it reminds me of a less-sweet dragon's blood but is a little more "grassy" as it dries. It's a very pleasant scent that I think I will give to DH--it's like a much better version of men's scents I have smelled.

In the imp: Musk and amber. Perfumey, but not headachey, which is a pleasant surprise (so far).

On skin, wet: Musk, amber, and a hint of either the dry plains grasses or dusty woods--can't decide which.

On skin, dry: Dusty woods, definitely, and the amber and musk are now more of a background. Not headachey, but maybe a little sneezy--the "dusty" note is pretty accurate!

After an hour: Same as the initial drydown. It's actually quite nice, even if I didn't get any doeskin. But I'll need to deathmatch it against my other primarily "woody" blend (Lysander) to see if it's different enough to warrant a bottle.

In the bottle: musk musk musky MUSK! Dried-out hills, dead grass, and a heavy dose of dusty dirt. This is somehow a sad scent to me. The dirt is deep, but not a rich brown earth. There's no moisture to this scent. The dry grasses are nice and remind me of California, but I can't imagine that musk working on me.

On my skin: sure enough, it's all musk. And it's a dark one. It smells slightly animalistic, dangerous. This is deeply masculine as well. And it stays dry, never moist, and scary-dark. It's bordering on bitter actually, which deepens as it dries. However, the dried grasses also come up stronger as it dries.

Last thoughts: not into musks, but if you are this is one for you. Don't expect any hint of sweetness though; it's a dark one.

Edited by frecklestars

imp: I smelled nothing, seriously, I was pretty surprised.

Wet: (me) nothing (husband) nothing

Drydown: (me) as my skin warmed it up it has a smell to it, but still very light, a powdery warm suede, it's nice, but I have to put my wrist right up to my nose to smell it. (husband) it has more smell on him too now. It is suede, grass, and chopped wood, vey nice on him, but still very light.

Dry: (me) better throw, but still light, it smells the same as it did durning the drydown, but now I also get some of the dry grass. (husband) still light same smell as drydown.

Overall: this took forever to dry. I liked it on me, but it was nicer on him. I think next time I try it out, I think I will put more on to see if that gives it a better throw.

Initially it was dry, dry grass and dust, but after a while it turned to... slightly caramelized brown sugar? I really have no idea why. Anyway, before the sugaring, there's a certain graininess to the smell that I find difficult to describe -- a bit like the graininess of stewed pears, but not sweet, I mean. Not my thing :(

Edited by Eschezhivet

A sweet, soft suede-y kind of leather and a slight hint of musk. It's fantastic at first sniff. I'm in love already. It's an oddly comforting scent to me, like nuzzling my cats and inhaling their fur, that gorgeous animalistic scent. Gradually a bit of dust and dry grass emerges, but very faintly. The amber's warmed the leather into intoxicating suede territory. This is not a screaming in-your-face leather.

I bought this for my husband as it sounded right up his street and something I would definitely like him to smell of. I was not wrong.

In the imp it was a dry, brown, warm scent.

On wet it was definitely skin and red musk with amber and woods.

Dry, it's a chocolately (amber), warm, dry, red musk. GAWD, I love it! He also loves it! Luckily, his skin chemistry brings out the notes I really love. On myself it was slightly musky but mainly woody; I prefer a more dominant musk note.

Edited by trumpette

Wet: Soft amber and dry grass or wheat.

Drydown: Still primarily amber and dry grass. There's a touch of something bright in there too. Possibly the woods? Sniffing at the wrist is quite nice, but if I take my wrist away the throw is quite powdery.

Dry: Cuddly, cuddly musk with light amber and dust. Perhaps a soft touch of suede is contributing to the cuddliness. Still a bit powdery. Sweetens as the day wears on.

This is a sweet, comforting skin musk on me. Without much throw and a lasting power of only about two and a half hours, it's perfect for times when I want something that won't overpower anyone. I can pick out the amber, musk, and woods in that order, but I'm not sure what doeskin or plains grasses smell like so there's probably a bit of that in there that I'm just not detecting. It's beautiful.

I am so in love with Coyote. It's a soft, amber, musky, woodsy skin scent. The only thing keeping it from being perfect is that it is SUCH a skin scent that I have to slam my nose into my skin to get a whiff no matter how much I apply.

In the Imp (ITI): Warm amber and musk, almost to the point of marzipan, followed by just a hint of light dusk and dried grass.

Wet: It's identical to the imp, which is nice. I'm starting to like the combination of amber and musk on me. As it starts to dry, I get some woods notes.

Dry: After a shower, there isn't anything left. On second dry-down, it smells like faint, dried grasses, musk, and the impression of amber.