Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Coyote

The Native American Creator / Trickster God of Chaos and Change. The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

In the imp: Cedar with something sharp...and then something sweet and mildy spicy.

Wet: A teeny teeeeeny bit of vetiver with a large hunk of cedarwood. There's a bit of sweet musk mingling in the background and I'm not getting any amber at all.

Dry: Dry this is a strange, sweet musk. The little bit of vetiver has now disappeared and I'm left with a slightly powdery musk.

Overall: Hmm...I liked this in its wet phase but dry is just not happening for me. More vetiver please! :)

ETA Lab description. Edited by Monster

in the bottle: sunshine and grass, dry wind and warm earth - all framed by the sheltering branches of a tangled wood.

on my skin: summer grass, dusty fields, golden amber and the soft velvet of a coyote's marvelous coat. This scent perfectly matches its description and is beautifully evocative of the Coyote. It is a remarkable blend, conjuring the wild shyness of the coyote and its natural habitat. I love it and find it completely fascinating, but it isn't the sort of fragrance I would wear often. The amber and musk are too strong as it dries, but I know someone who will love this so I'm confident it will end up in a good home. :) :)

well i got an imp of Coyote via a swap and after reading all the vivid and imaginative reviews of this scent I'm afraid mine is a bit mundane. on me i got a sort of dusty, musky, scent with a hint of sweet cherries, in fact it reminded me very much of cherry scented incense.

Every time I inhale this scent, it's like taking in clean, crisp air...but instead of the clean air being from morning on a cold mountain, it's from a warm day in a field. It's oddly refreshing, like I can feel it in the back of my sinuses, and then there's something warm to keep it comforting. I want to snuggle in this scent and take a lazy cat nap. It's naturally sweet, naturally warm...just natural.

This is wonderful. As some one said in a post earlier, no nose can be offended by this scent.

Coyote would smell SO GOOD on a guy. In the imp, it struck me as being rather sweetly masculine, like a combination of hay, sunshine, grass, and men's cologne. There's a hint of meadow flowers in it once it's dried down, but the cologne and golden grass are really the scents that dominate. In my head, this is what a cowboy would/should smell like. It's a smidge too masculine for me to wear, but I'm definitely keeping the imp in the hopes that I can someday convince my boy to wear it. I think it would be swoonworthy on him!

Wet: Soft, sweet grasses, lit with sunny, dusty amber and warmed with a fuzzy musk. Throw is minimal.

Dry: It's a soft skin scent, a little bit powdery from the amber. It's animalistic, but not in a vicious, feral sense, like I'd normally use the word... "downy and gentle" are good words to describe the musk. It's practically cuddly. I think that there's a bit of dry wood snapping around the edges. After it's settled down a bit the "doeskin" comes out. It's a soft leather, not at all sharp like it can sometimes be.

Overall: A gentle skin scent. It's very natural and "down to earth" smelling, and solidly unisex. Lovely, but ultimately too subtle for my tastes.

Edited by tajana

I've never quite understood the concept of a "skin smell" until I tried this. Wearing this it smells as if I'm not wearing anything at all, it just smells very soft, musky and warm. I can't make out the grasses (shame!), but the amber and the musk are definitely there - and just that hint of doeskin. I was expecting this to be more dramatic but it really just evokes the image of a coyote, snoozing in the high grass under the warm sun. Not a bottle purchase, but I'll keep this around for the days I want to smell wonderful but not noticeably so.

Coyote is the warm, comforting smell of a gorgeous man clad in worn buckskin lying in browning prairie grass at sunset. I'm Native and the Coyote holds a very special part in my life story and my history. Everything about this scent is truly evocative, grounding, and so comforting to me. Beth captured the essence of this so completely that it actually almost brings me to tears every time I smell this scent...but in the very best way. Coyote is hands-down one of my favorite scents from BPAL. It's so unlike most of my other favorites (mainly heavy, darker scents) and yet I come back to Coyote time and again. To me, this scent is the perfect comfort scent. Worn leather, warm musks, and the smell of isolated, drying prairie grasses. :wub2:

I think for some reason I was expecting more of a furry/Ivanushka vibe from Coyote. Instead, on me it is very green, clean, and sweet.

When first on I definitely can smell the grasses, though not so much the dryness.

When dry, it is really sweet, perhaps that's a bit of the doeskin, and the clean green grass scent lingers.

I SOOO wanted this scent to be what others have written - Im a partial child of the grasslands, and Coyote is one of my helper animals. I love the descriptions others have left too...

But I tried it twice now...while its not something thats unpleasant, it also doesn't show up as a warm, grassy, dusty plains scent...so sad!

After wearing this for a day it just becomes this nice subtle perfumy scent on me...and I'm all about earthy green scents. It seemed feminine to me too...like an all-purpose sort of scent. Throw was moderate, and it lasted for quite awhile too..

If you love subtle warm scents, this is for you...but if you really want a bite of the great plains, this def isn't it.

Frimp in my will call bag.

Coyote is one of my favorite Trickster/mythic figures, plus a nice dessert scent would be great for the summer.

In the imp, I get dry grasses and wood. Wet, it's the same with the addition of amber. The drydown is the same as the wet stage and once dry, I'm left with a warm fragrant wood scent.

I like this scent a lot but it's a little dry and a bit too masculine for me. I keep going back and forth on whether to upgrade to a bottle but am not sure how often I would wear this. If this sounds like something you love, though, I say get this!

:::COYOTE:::

Coyote is a well suited name for this blend of oil, though "Trickster" may have been even more apt...

Coyote is a madcap, wondrous fragrance. The Doeskin in this is unreal... Initially, the note seemed to be the subtlest Leather note experienced so far in the Lab's realm of fragrances, sweetened with a dainty breath of syrupy Amber...

And the Musk is ghostly!

Coyote as a whole is fleeting... Like the Totem animal itsself, Coyote is detectable for a mere instant between the tall Grasses before vanishing in the twinkle of an eye, it's gait more cat-like than canine.

The Wood notes in Coyote lend to a wilding, scrub-brush motif...

A rich and super-human Spirit World.

If anything is left to be desired, it is that Coyote vanishes all too quickly with this particular body-chemistry.

*sniff*

The bottle was inverted 3 times over the wrist to where the drips ran halfway to the elbow, and it was necessary to hold it an inch from the nose and sniff forcefully to find it at all, minutes later.

Still, incredibly gorgeous.

Shamanism at it's foxiest for Him.

5/5.

Coyote

Very earthy. It smells mostly woody and musky, with some herbs/grass. It's light, without much throw -- I have to stick my nose right up against my wrist to smell it. It's pretty masculine to me, it has a cologne-y vibe, but I still find it wearable. My girlfriend says it smells sexy on me. I'll be keeping the imp.

Edited by sunlitgarden

In bottle: hmmm, This SOUNDS delightful.

Wet: Soft floral musk? Really? How am I getting just soft floral musk out of this?

Dry: Yup smells like soft floral musk. Exciting.

Notes: Aaand for the finish we have baby powder. Apparently my skin REALLY like Coyote and does not want to share its wonderful notes.

Coyote is a lovely scent. The first time I applied it, I got that "YES YES MULTIPLE BOTTLES MUST HOARD" feeling. Now that I've tested it twice, I'm not sure I need several bottles, but it is a nice scent.

Wet, it is definitely musky amber. It's also very strong. I really only need a little bit of this to smell it, and trust me, I tend to be a slatherer. The amber is very heady, thick, golden, and almost buttery, I think because of the musk. It really is a great, wearable musk, although I have to admit that if I sniff it too deeply, I get the image of deer having wild sex in the middle of a sun-drenched field. So, uh, I just don't sniff that deeply anymore!

After a while, I get a sweet grassy scent at the heart of the scent, but that's only when I get close. The throw, which is very strong, is definitely the amber musk. I don't get much leather at all, except maybe an impression of it mixed in somewhere, grounding the scent.

As a side note, this is great paired with The Black Rider, if you want to temper the musk with some more leather. :)

I love musks, and the imagery of this particular blend appealed to me, so i was incredibly pleased that the scent works well on my skin, also! (all the more so since I bought a bottle unsniffed!)

I get a lovely, almost floral (but not quite-fleeting glimpses of flowers among the grasses, perhaps?) dusty grass smell...I do get some wood, too--at first I was getting more forest than plains from it, but that faded out pretty quickly to leave just a hint of the wood, softened by the definite presence of the musk. If the amber and doeskin are there, they're not overpowering, just there to help balance out the other notes. The scent lingers on my skin for a long time, but I do wish it had just a bit more throw, as I think this has to be one of those instant favorites, for me.

So I guess to sum that rambling up (I'm sniffing my arm as I describe this, haha), I primarily get dusty, dry sweet grasses and soft, touchable musk, with hints of the doeskin, amber and wood.

Edit: how I failed to mention that the amber lends this a somewhat perfumey note, at least initially on me, I don't know--I'm not usually a huge fan of the more 'perfumey' sort've blends, (and amber can tend to be like that, for me) but in this blend, I found I didn't mind it, as it wasn't really overpowering.

Edited by Vashtya

In the Imp: warm, comforting; a bit spicy (the amber?)

Wet on Skin: a bit perfumey during this stage, maybe a bit masculine too (I know, that doesn't make sense); second test: a slightly sweet amber scent, not getting the perfumey aspect this time around, and I think I would consider it unisex rather than masculine.

While Drying: this is all about amber - amber scent, amber colored oil, amber mood; "soft," "warm," and "gentle" are apt descriptors

After a Little While: sweetens a bit; fits the description quite well; makes me think of sun-warmed plains

Later: medium throw; fairly long lasting (though throw decreases with time); weird - many hours after application, the lingering scent reminds me of Hod: res (not as much the second time around); amber and musk seem to fade, leaving a very organic, natural smell.

Final Thoughts: I appreciated this scent much more the second time around. Either the scent has deepened and smoothed out a bit(I've had the imp for about 9 months now), or I just appreciate amber blends more now than I did in the beginning.

Coyote earns a 3.5... maybe 4/5 on my skin.

In the bottle – A dry woodsy musk

Wet on me – The animalistic nature of the musk strengthens along with a hay type smell

Dry on me – A soft dry musk that fades pretty quickly

Overall – Not my sort of thing at all

Coyote is one of my favorite BPAL scents of all time. There is a softness to it that accurately captures the feeling of the dry prairie grassland and the soft musk of a wild animal.

Coyote is one of those scents that I -wish- was a bit more animalistic on me, but I still love it. Definitely better a few hours later on me when it's had a chance to blend with my natural chemistry.

It helps that Coyote happens to be my spirit animal. <.<

Just the softest woodsy, spicy musk. It stays very soft and close to the skin. I finally "get" what people mean by a skin scent. I like it and will use up my imp, but I prefer my scents to be more noticeable.

Coyote is one of my favourite animals :wub3: so of course I had to try this!

Sniffed: Warm, cozy musk with a glow.

On skin: A mix of musk/doeskin (a bit pungent in a fur/skin way) and grassy hay; the woods and amber are imperceptible. This is a smooth, very glowing scent, fully deep and mellow, overlaid upon warm, fuzzier musk. In fact, the "resonance" of Coyote gives me a visual impression of a golden prairie in the height of summer, suffused with hazy, noontime sunlight and the deafening, full-throated song of insects.

Coyote is definitely in the same family of skin/fur musks as Fledgling Raptor Moon and Ivanushka, both of which are more complex and fuzzier, but have not the wonderful summer glow of Coyote.

Verdict: Coyote is a fine skin musk, cozy and warm and pleasant to wear; it really does evoke the animal and the deity! Sadly, I realize that I'm not that interested in skin scents, so I don't think I'll end up wearing this much.

From the imp and wet on my skin, this is dusty grasses and leather. It's a lighter scent. I also smell some of the amber peeking through, but not any musk that I can detect. Although this smells lovely as it dries down, getting more ambery and hay-like, my skin absolutely eats this scent. After about an hour and a half, there's nothing left. :(