Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Coyote

The Native American Creator / Trickster God of Chaos and Change. The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

First sniff:

Oh, this is beautiful! It smells like dry grass and dusty dirt, which is exactly what I was hoping it would smell like! This perfectly captures what I imagine when I think of the word "coyote." This is the scent of dusty plains studded with tufts of dried grass, the kind that nips at your legs when you walk through and that smells like straw. This is so utterly gorgeous I can't even begin to describe how much I love it.

Wet on skin:

Mmm, dry grass and soft amber. It's slightly musky but dry and dusty and parched smelling. This is unbelieveable. This is exactly what I imagined when I first saw that there was going to be a scent called Coyote. So far, the amber is staying in the background and behaving itself quite well (amber often turns into sour milk on me) and the prominent notes are the dusty grass and musk. I love, love, love this scent so far. I'm already regretting not getting a bottle of it. :D

Dry down:

Soft musk and dusty grass. This is a coyote and its habitat all rolled into one and poured into a tiny vial. This scent is just more proof that Beth is some sort of magic worker...I have no idea how she can create something that's so perfectly dead on to the image she's trying to create. Unbelieveable. Absolutley unbelieveable. I'm going to have to break down and buy a bottle of this at the next update, there's no way I can live with just an imp. This is love.

The bottom line:

The dry plains of the Southwest mixed with a soft animal musk and dry grasses. This is absolutely perfect. I'm definitely getting a bottle of this at the next update. :P

This is nice! I was a tad worried that the musk in it would be an overly animalistic musk, which my skin hates. No worries needed!

Warm and soft, at first it is all amber and musk with a touch of woodsy smell.

As it dries, the dusty/dry/downy really comes out, and it's really sweet in a dried wood way. I just want to wrap myself in a big blanket of this stuff and hide, it's very comforting.

A keeper for sure!

My order arrived today and I immediately grabbed this imp and slathered a bit on my husband's neck. I have to agree with the two previous posters: this is a lovely dry/warm scent. The amber gives a sort of golden "glow" to the overall scent, and the musk comes out all supple and yummy. It reminds me of the outdoors, or rather, the memory of the outdoors, if that makes any sense. This coyote's lying in the tall grass, his fur gently warmed by the afternoon sun. It's a comforting and engaging scent.

It's not my sort of scent at all but it's really lovely on him!

This is another oil that I tested last night and it was very beautiful. Warm and grassy with the golden liquidy feel of amber/musk. This dried down to a very soft almost so golden that it got creamy blend (if that makes any sense). The woods/grasses are ever so subtle and float in the background. The amber/musk was the mainstay on my wrist and I love amber/musk so this definitely is one that I really liked. I need to officially wear this for a better review, as I have only tested it on my wrist. This is skillfully blended and the notes balance quite perfectly. Again, I'll say it's very golden and somewhat reminiscent of The Lion. Does anyone else notice that sometimes the updates seem to have certain oils with things in common? I've noticed this on a few updates. I think Beth must go on a creative binge in a certain direction and then make a few oils from the same creative spurt.....or something like that. This is also a bit reminiscent of Bastet on the skin.

I am in love. When I first saw this scent during the update I automatically bought a 5 ml of it and I am so happy that I did too. It's beautiful.

In the bottle, I caught the musk and dried woods scents to it. But once I put it on I could picture running over the plains through dusty areas and absolutely thrilling in the freedom of it all. After that it just kept hitting certain chords in me that were very, very happy in this scent.

What is kind of interesting with this scent was that it also nailed a few memories of attending Pow Wows when I was younger as well. The doe skin scent must be bringing back those memories. As it also reminds me of a young warrior on the plains perhaps taking part in a hunt.

All in all, this scent has just become part of a heavy rotation. This is absolutely wonderful and very stimulating to me.

Reading the description of Coyote, I thought it might smell very much like The Lion. But it's totally different, very gingery and musky. It's absolutely delightful in the vial, once it hits my skin, it's still wonderful but very masculine. I'm sure others will disagree, we all have our opinions on which oils are masculine. For instance, I wear several that others find too masculine for themselves, such as Wilde, Dracul and Hellfire. Anyway, as this dries down, the doeskin comes out. It's leather, but a much softer, almost furry smell than say Loviatar or De Sade, it's not sharp at all. My honey appropriated this one and it smells divine on him :P . It's another one, like Dracul, where he asked for a 5ml right away. That always makes me so happy :D .

Ooh thankyou, ChupaChup!

I've been sniffing this on my wrist for the last half hour, trying to work out that sharpish note. I thought it was a sharper than usual amber, but now I realise it is the doeskin.

I was expecting a much warmer blend than this. It is actually rather soapy, not something I expected from the description at all.

I thought I'd fall in love with Coyote, but I'm still trying to work out whether I like it or not *sniffs again* hmm...

In the vial this is everything as its described, warm, dry, dusty... completely evocative of a coyote in the desert. Unfortunately on me it dries down to a sort of nondescript woody scent. I think my skin just can't handle musk of any sort which is a shame because this otherwise sounded right up my alley.

Oh mighty dust wolf, how I love thee!

Truly a good fragerence.

I wasn't sure about amber or deep musk, but wow!

Sweet grasses brush across Coyote's legs and footpaws as he heads out in the desert at twilight. Hunting? Scouting for new territory? We do not know. He runs and settles back on his haunches in the prarie dust letting out a howl, calling the moon back home- for there imprisoned in the dark summer sky is his mate, stairing down at him and baithing him with her lunar glow.

Definatly I can smell sweet grasses and dust. As the day goes on, I SWAIR my wrist smells good, warm and fuzzy like a living breathing coyote should.

I really do like Coyote. I can eaisly see me wearing this as a spiritual aide as well, since Coyote is my spirit guide.

GREAT scent! Much kudos to the lab for giving due honor to my critter!

*content sigh* Ahhh, this is the good stuff right here.

This dries down into a lovely, well-rounded musky amber. There's both a hint of sweetness and a hint of peppery spiciness at play that I just love. The musk is not a dark, animalistic black musk, but rather a gentle and highly wearable golden musk. Coyote is one of those "second skin" scents with minimal throw that would be great as an everyday scent. Truly lovely.

Although I do agree with ChupaChup that this is a masculine scent. It would smell wonderful on a man, but it also works really well on me. I love this!

Coyote - in the vial I can smell dust and a bit of an ozone note.

Once one, the dusty scent is very prominent and I rather get the impression of a windy storm off in the distance kicking up debris on a hot summer afternoon. It's interesting but I'm not sure it's really me.

After a few minutes my eyes are watering and the oil has morphed into an overpowering men's cologne. I don't know what is reacting so strongly - I detect a bit of amber but it's not the same warm golden scent I usually get. I think this is one for the swap pile.

beautiful beautiful beautiful!!! This is what I hoped snake oil would do on my skin, it's warm and gentle and stays close. I have this and crossroads on one arm right now and I could just cry they both are so beautiful. But back to coyote

It goes on as a light amber and sharp grass smell and then loses alot of the grass as it morphs into a smell that truly is more of a feeling than a smell. It is like laying in the sun, basking in it while resting on sumwarmed dry leaves. a childhood, fabulous all is right with the world smell. I want to smell this one on a man!!

If somunus is my bed, then coyote is my sleeping bag!!

Edited by mmcfa2

Oh my god, this is perfect! I've been looking for a wonderful grassy scent for a little while, and this is it.

For the first few hours, it's a pretty even blend of dry grasses, light musk, and amber to sweeten things a bit.

The grass note recedes, and I'm left with a slightly musky, ambery scent that lasts all day (scents tend to dissipate very quickly on me).

I agree that the musk is very wearable--light, golden, and not too pungent.

I haven't tried a masculine scent yet that I didn't love, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't think that this is too masculine for the average woman to wear. Unisex, definitely.

I lived in the desert in New Mexico for a little while, and this is making me want to go back! I can picture the sunlight, the dry earth, the red rocks...amazing.

I am definitely getting a big bottle of this.

In bottle: Dirt. Dust in the road. The grass grows in clumps at the side of the road, burned brown in the heat of the sun. This feels parched. The longer I leave the bottle open, the stronger the grass and the greener the fragrance grows. It's intriguing.

On me: This brings to mind summer trips through New Mexico when there's a thunderstorm on the horizon. There's a cool wind blowing through the dust of the desert. No rain yet, but in the distance lightning strikes. It's coming, and the anticipation of that storm is bottled in Coyote. To me, that helps bring the Trickster to life.

This is a wonderful, bubbly playful scent that made me take a second whiff in the bottle. It's got that wonderful peppery bite to it that reminded me of the dearly departed Madison ice cream shop Chocolate Coyote's signature flavor: a blend of chocolate, cinnamon, and jalapeño. This is nothing like chocolate cinnamon and jalapeño, but it has that same bite to it.

On my skin, I lost a lot of the dustiness, and instead had a sweet, somewhat peppery, musk. After a few hours, it becomes sweet amber with traces of its former qualities. In this stage, it reminds me of snake oil. Not at all the same scent, but sweet and spicy in a similar way.

I love this scent a lot. Where Snake Oil is liquid sex: smooth, confident, and in control, Coyote is playful necking, with a little bit of biting involved. ;) I'd like to wear it around a special someone and see if they pick up the same vibe.

Coyote Haiku:

Sharp-toothed canine grin:

The trickster plots a scheme to

Catch the road runner.

Your humble and obedient Renaissance Man,

Bard

Coyote

In the vial: Herbal amber.

On my skin: Oh, Beth, this is amazing. Really, really amazing. It's all dusty, downy fur and dry plain grasses with just the smallest touch of sweet golden warmth; like cuddling up to your favorite furry friend outdoors as the sun sets overhead. More than a scent, this is an experience.

Final thoughts: Sadly, most of the oil in my impy leaked out when the cap decided to break off. Whimper. As this is more of a private, personal scent for me -- something I would wear around the house as opposed to outdoors -- I'm not sure I'd ever use a whole bottle, though I'm definitely tempted to buy one anyway. I will have to get my hands on at least another imp eventually, though, so that my boyfriend can try this. Let's not tell him, but this could very well be my green kryptonite...

Edited by riddel

at first: the lab tossed this into my order and it's definitely not something i would have picked for myself. i mostly smell the woods and musk.

on: a bit smoky. very masculine.

half an hour later: interesting. i think i'm smelling herbs, smoke, and musk.

1.5 hours later: still smoky and herbal.

2 hours later: warm and slightly burnt-smelling.

overall: this doesn't really work for me.

In the bottle: Musk! And lots of it! I smell the wood too, but to my nose it's certainly not a dry and dusty wood--it's damp wood that's covered in lichens and moss. A calm, fuzzy scent. When I first sniffed this I spent quite a while in the process, giggling, almost getting high off of it. It's pleasant, to say the least.

Wearing: Ooh. This is the same smooth, spicy musk in Blood Kiss. The amber comes in as a suggestion rather than something that really jumps out, lending a sweetness to the blend. I'm not getting any woods or grass, just musk and amber and spice. Gender neutral, but it leans quite a bit on the masculine side.

15 minutes later: Wow! This has turned red on me. It's gotten a little sharper and more intense and passionate, but not in a sexual way. Maybe it's just that I'm getting over strep throat and my skin is still doing weird things...but this is gorgeous!

Couple hours later: Hmm. It's gone a little fabric softener-y. While this is a drawback, I don't care, I like the earlier stages too much to pass this one up. A new favorite, for sure.

Edited by voodoobaby

First Impression: Amber, warm and sweet.

Second Impression: I never added Coyote to my wish list as I thought it might be too dry a scent for my tastes. I sampled it at ivyandpeony's house and ended up pinching her two imps of it. What a gorgeous amber blend. My skin amps us sweetness, so this scent ended up being just perfect for me. The amber is warm and sweet while the dry elements keep in under control, as sometimes amber can be overly sweet and cloying on my skin. The musk note is rich and sensual.

Final Analysis: I'm putting my two impies in a roller and am going to have some slather fun with this gorgeous scent.

BEAUTIFUL!

dried grasses, musk, and amber, this reminds me a bit of lion but a less tame, mor rangly scent, definitely need a big bottle it is mostly amber and dried grass w/ a hint of musk, but it is so well blended just perfect

Dry grass, very herbal. The musk and amber support the grass note, it is very fresh smelling. It smells dry and grassy, not like hay, it still has the green grass scent, the way grass smells in the dry heat of summer, when there hasn't been enough rain.

I like this, it is dry and green, deep summer in a bottle. :P

bottle: Gentle dewy florals and light musk.

wet: Soft musk and mild grasses. A bit ambery, and warm. Does bring to mind burying one's nose in an animal's soft coat.

dry: A "second skin" type of scent, fresh, soft and sueded. Not very distinctive on me, but very intimate.

To me, Coyote is a low-key dust smell, almost like patchouli but subtler.

Husband's quirky nose had a bit different assessment. It was amusing enough that I took notes on it.

Husband: "It smells like a bad mint candy that won't taste like mint." Me: "I don't think there's any mint in it." *checks listed notes* "There's no mint in it." Husband: "Well, I don't know. It's obviously not a positive smell to me." He sniffed again: "I can't make any association."

First sniff: Coyote is a very dry, subtle, beige sort of scent.

Wearing: Beige is really the only adjective I can find. It doesn’t smell dusty, but it reminds me of dust, or of sand blowing off bare rock. It’s rather bleak. BUT… after an hour or so (this is a very slow-blooming scent), it’s decided to be warm, and ever so slightly sweet, and wonderfully soft, and at this stage it’s even better than Haunted. I kept wondering during Spanish class who was wearing vanilla hand lotion, and I think I was smelling the aura of my Coyote.

I was interested in this because of the description for a couple reasons. First, the description reminded me of a character that I used to play in a roleplay game. Second, it just sounded interesting. And third ... I have a personal connection to Coyote so I just had to test this scent out.

From the bottle, I was a bit skeptical because I was getting a rather dusty scent from it. I tested a few other things and today, I just reached into the box blind and this was what came to my hand. I decided that today must be the day for dust and dabbed it on.

Wet, the dust was still there and I wrinkled my nose.

Then I learned that I wrinkled my nose too soon.

Many years ago, there was an incense made by a little pagan shop that I frequented called 'Dream.' This was the first incense I found that could consistently guarantee me a peaceful night's sleep and general tranquility. I stopped having access to that shop and hoarded the incense that I had gotten from it. And grew sad, as I began to run out of Dream.

With drydown and onward (as it's been 6 hours since I lightly reapplied before going to class and it's still going strong), Coyote smells exactly like that incense.

There isn't anything floral here for me -- myrrh, amber, musk, a hint of a very soft leather and dry grass and wood. It all combines to this beautiful scent.

I'm hoarding the imp and when I have funds for catalog things along with limited editions, a bottle of this (big one, too!) is going to be coming to live in my home. I want to make a linen spray out of this for my bed and I can see using this nightly in my oil burner. :P