Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Coyote

The Native American Creator / Trickster God of Chaos and Change. The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

This totally reminds me of rolling plains after a thunderstorm. I smell grass and earth and tinges of animal with it. I adore this to such a degree its hard to encapsulate with words. I only hope when it ages its even better.

In the imp: Grassy and woodsy.

Wet: Spicy wet grasslands and animals in the wild.

Dry: Amber creeps in more making the grasses even out in the woodsy scents for a nice, warm scent.

Overall: *howl* Methinks, Coyote is a pleasing and warm scent.

There is a warmth and a sweetness to this blend in the imp. The musk definitely comes out strong. Wet, it's much the same, but once it dries, a deep sniff gets hints of that grass and dirt. Coyote's musk is amped a bit on me, so the grass and dirt are in the background, but they're definitely there. Overall, this is a warm blend that is comforting to me.

ETA: I've worn it a couple more times and now it just makes me so sneezy!!! :P

Edited by ViolaVanWilde

In the imp Coyote is sweet and green, with warmth just behind them. Wet on my skin the doeskin note just SINGS. Gorgeous. The drydown ended up giving heavier and heavier wafts of amber, resulting in a scent which was almost incensy, but not in the smoky way. The dust and dirt are suffocated by the amber on my skin, but it is still a beautiful scent. I want more!

Edited by Indig0

in the imp: old leather and sweet grass.

wet on skin: something soft and sweet which i am assuming is the musk has taken over, but all else has gone.

dry down: the sweetgrass has returned-faintly- and is joined by a very, very soft amber.

in all: this is nice enough, but it's *very* mild, hardly has any throw, and honestly, wasn't that unusual, which is what i want personally in my BPAL oils. so, not so bad, not so great.

:P

In the imp, it smelled like leather...not the "perfume" smell I get before most leather notes dry on me, but, nice suede leather, right there in the imp.

On, it was a lovely warm scent. The musk, wood, and grasses started things off, and the doeskin made its way leisurely to the forefront in about an hour.

This lasted all day long at work. It wasn't strong enough that I worried about offending the people around me with it, but, I could smell it.

It was a warm, soft, fuzzy scent, and it made me smile all day.

Aerinha supplied the word I was searching for: suede. In the imp this smells like suede and dried grass. On me the amber comes out and the grasses fade. This is a barely-there scent, golden and warm.

In the vial: a sharp, concentrated amber note, mingled with musk.

On me: Wow. This takes next to no time to dry down on me... and as soon as it does, it turns to pure baby powder. My personal amber/musk combo demon strikes again... :P

Well, Coyote, I'm gonna have to send you to the swap pile...

In The Bottle

Soft dry amber and musk. Warm and gentle

On Application

Strange. Seems to play hide and seek. When it's there it is very nice, if a little too powder sweet.

Dry Down

There is a sharp dryness to this which is totally evocative of the concept. This started off seeming a fairly feminine blend to me but as it dries becomes more masculine (all subjective, I know). The powder sweet amber gives way to the woods, making this drier and dustier. What started off as being somwhat disappointing has now rocketed to one of my favourites. :P

Rating (0-5)

This was also thrown in with my dragon's blood variation order. At first I wasn't sure I liked it out of the bottle, but after a couple more tries, I really dug it.

On me, it's magic. It's like summer in a bottle. Or at least, summer in Seattle going to the Fair and a nice day at Northwest Folklife Festival. Warm and dusky and earthy, super yummy. It's a fantastic lighter alternative to my beloved dragon's blood scents. It fades to a spicy baby powder smell faster than I would've liked, but that may have been because of my hair dryer. I don't mind the baby powder though, because the spice/incense keeps it sexy.

A keeper, since it'll be perfect for Seattle summer days, since they never get too hot. Summer nights are a different story however...

Wow, this is sweet and masculine at the same time. Once it dries down, it becomes more wearable to me, but probably not something I would reach for very often. I'll have to try it on my so to see if the wet stage will last on him, as it is veerry sexy. If it does he'll definitely have to watch out!! Extreme heat factor.

Holy crap if I had known that Coyote was this sexy, I would have gotten it LONG ago and not waited until it was generously gifted to me to try it. I was always intrigued by the doeskin and musk combo here, but figured it would probably be too ambery for my tastes (I don't dislike amber, I'm just not that terribly fond of it). Turns out, I was wrong because this scent is so amazing. Beautifully golden and musky - the musk is in the foreground on me and it's followed by a sort of soft spiced grass. Totally gorgeous, I want to roll in this.

I can’t believe I haven’t reviewed this yet. I’ve had my imp for over a year , so it’s deliciously aged and may not review the same as newer imps and bottles, but it‘s so very yummy.

In the Bottle: Sweet and gentle and intoxicating. The notes that come out strongest for me are sweetgrass and a leather that smells more like suede than anything else. It’s a very comforting scent.

Wet: The same sweetgrass is present, but there’s a tiny bit of amber here now too and only the faintest musk. And more of that delicious warm suede. I can see where some are getting fur - this reminds me of the sensation of warm fur (still on the coyote, thank you) on a cool morning. Even though there are notes that should be very warm, it comes off as comfortably cool.

Dry: The grasses are warming a bit now as the sun’s coming out, and the amber is shyly peeking her head out of the cave. Sweetgrass and that soft furry suede are still the most prominent notes, and blended exquisitely, each perfectly complementing the other. I still wouldn’t classify this as a warm scent, but neither is it cool. It reminds me of a warm spring day as a cool breeze blows. There is something very familiar here that I cannot place, no matter how hard I try, and I've been trying for a while. This is so very cozy. It makes me want to curl up and have a nap.

Overall: This is neither masculine, nor feminine, nor entirely unisex. It’s simply… other. There’s something so delicious and comforting about Coyote. It’s not really like anything I’ve ever smelled before or since, but I think that’s part of the strange attraction. I’ll be honest and say that I really wasn’t sure if I cared for this or not when I first tried it, but I found myself reaching for it more and more often. It’s one of my favorite bedtime blends, and one I reach for when I just need to let go of the day’s stress and breathe for a moment.

Highly recommended. :P

The description of this scent was one of the things that made me finally take the plunge and order from BPAL. I saw it on the site a pretty long time ago, and though I was dithering over whether or not I really needed oils, I finally figured that Coyote was one that simply could not go unsmelled.

In the imp: Very warm and soft. Not particularly strong, but in a good gentle way. I'm recognizing amber now (the imp I tried yesterday had that in there as well, and that's the only common note between these two), and partially-dried grasses.

Wet on skin: I get more of the grass and dust now, a little less of the amber, but it's still very warm and soft.

Drydown: Immediately after drying, he grass and dust continue to hold the foreground. Something a little sharper is starting to come through, and my uneducated nose is not sure whether this is the musk or the doeskin. Either way, it's more of a background note. The amber has faded even more. About an hour after putting it on, though, the sharpness has faded back a bit, and the whole blend is a bit more homogenous, in a good way. I can smell the amber again. At this point, it's pretty close to what it was in the imp, which is very nice.

Five hours later: Nearly the same combination of smells as at the one hour mark, and close to the same intensity (even with the SoCal Outside In July test!). Once Coyote settles, it stays.

End of the day: A good twelve hours after I put this on, I still get a whiff of soft dried grasses when I sniff my wrists.

Overall: I am indeed very glad to have taken the BPAL plunge for this scent (and others)! Coyote is fantastically evocative. It really smells like a grassy plain in the process of drying out over the course of a hot summer. For that reason, it reminds me a lot of Carrizo Plain National Monument in central California, which is gorgeous and one of my favorite places. I also like how Coyote is a scent that's present even when I'm not actively sniffing my wrist, but it's not too strong or brash or distracting in the least. I am glad this trickster's description rang true, rather than being a trick in and of itself!

First Sniff: Smells like fancy perfume.

Wet: A bit less intense than the first sniff. It smells a bit like baby powder.

Dry: Soft, powdery scent. The initial "ew perfume" reaction has lessened to something more pleasant. It became more subtle on me which was nice. It also smells lightly flowery.

My Reaction: I really didn't like the first sniff and was very disappointed because I had high hopes for this one. It's definitely a feminine scent on me. Unfortunately, it does not smell like the warm fur that people described to me said it did. I'm disappointed in that I was really hoping for a "furry" scent. However, it is pleasant and light and overall it smells nice. It just wasn't what I was hoping for.

In the bottle it's grass (the good kind) and musk. Wet it's musk with a hit of lemon. Dry it's mostly musk with a tiny bit of amber and maybe grass. This is a very small sweet not also. Seems masculine to me.

Wow, this scent is perfectly true to its description! Amber, musk, and sweetgrass hay.

I love it!

:P

4.5 out of 5

I love musks, and the description sounded similar to The Lion (which I adore), so I had to try this one out.

In vial: It does remind me of The Lion, but darker. Dry grasses, deep musk.

On me: When it goes on, the scent loses some of the sharpness from the vial and it fills out. To my nose, the musk is similar to Satyr. It's distinct, rich brown, and a bit powdery. The dry grasses, however, round out the scent and prevent the sweet edge that musk often has on my skin. The grasses lighten and sun-warm the scent into a golden brown.

Verdict: It's ironic, considering my deep love of Satyr and the similarities that these two have to my nose, but I don't have much of an opinion about Coyote. The dry grass and musk is a pleasant combination and it's certainly evocative, conjuring the image that it represents. But, all told, the scent doesn't stand out or really appeal to me. I've been hanging onto this imp for a while, retesting and indecisive, but I think it's finally time to admit that Coyote doesn't grab me.

Imp: gentle amber and musk

Wet on me: the musk and amber add a wee

touch of the wood to the mix

Drying Down: Musk and woods

Dry: Powdered woods. Woods with Powder on

them No dry grasses on me. Interesting. Not

bad…Not married to it. I may re-home this

In the imp: This...smells like cologne and house paint.

Wet on skin: Much better!! Sweet dried grasses and a bit of dust.

Final verdict: Very faint, but so lovely. Dried grass + cleanish smell. I may or may not eventually get a bottle of this, depending on how much use I get of this imp. I could definitely see either a woman or a man wearing this.

In imp: Soft and warm, with a bit of a musky bite. Maybe a hint of sandalwood as well. Fenris Wolf’s relaxed second-cousin.

Wet on skin: A very light musk and soft incense. I don’t smell the doeskin, grasses or woods yet, but the amber is showing up plain as day.

Drydown: There are the dry grasses! And the woods and doeskin as well. It’s lightly leathery and outdoorsy, but has enough musk now to keep my interest, and the amber is gorgeous in this blend. It’s nicely warm and sun-lit without being hot.

Overall: The woods, grasses and doeskin counterbalance the musk and amber in such a beautiful way. It’s not too dry, either, I keep getting just a little splash of something wet. 5mls, please!

In the imp: sharp and wet, almost like wet dog smell. wet dog with pieces of wet fiberous grass stuck to its coat.

Wet: very sharp. almost overpowering. i do not particularly like it at this stage. hard to make out any particular notes. wood? citrus? it has a piercing quality.

drying: something smooth starts to come out, a roundness. that must be the doeskin. it takes a while to dry down, and as it does, it morphs a lot. settles down into something tamer, smoother, quieter. no sign of the musk yet. it's like a fresh pair of lambskin gloves. dry, supple, and sharp. after quite some time, the amber. perhaps this was the initial sharpness?

dry: wait for it because this is when coyote shines. the sharpness is entirely gone, replaced by a rich roundness and depth completely obscured by the loud opening. the amber creates a gorgeous base upon which the musks lay a secondary foundation, and the warm leather and skin flits around at the edges. as it continues to dry down, it becomes even richer, earthier, a touch loamy (or perhaps sandy? like very very dry desert dirt that smells sun-baked). i keep thinking I detect some sage dancing around back there, something that reminds me of one of my favorite incenses.

verdict: beautiful, but not immediately. i am surprised by how much I like it. I was seduced by the list of notes and very disappointed on initial application. it wasn't until I went back to my wrists an hour or more later that I saw the beauty that is coyote.

This is a comforting, protective scent, sensual and down to earth. The kind of thing you wear at home, or with someone you know and are fond of. It's a great scent to wear when alone. Minimal throw but long lasting. This is the first BPAL that I really "get," that takes me on an olfactory journey and inspires fantasies in my mind. I see a lone coyote high on a mountain ridge. There is dry wind blowing. I am dressed in something the color of baked earth and wearing tourquoise, standing amidst sage bushes and dry grasses. It is a serene scent, meditative, internal, yet also welcoming and very accepting. I will definitely consider a full bottle.

Instantly transporting. The top note is a gorgeous sweet, soft musk and the drydown is sweet grasses, hay, and leather. As a concept blend this is amazing! Unfortunately as a perfume the grassiness is giving me a wee headache; it's a bit too sharp. But what a great idea this one was!

Coyote-

In Bottle: Hm, this has a men's cologne scent, kind of eye-watering and sharp, and I think I detect vetiver.

Wet: Light, a hint of the grassiness, and dry. I feel sure there's vetiver here, or something very like.

Dry: A hint of the amber; its milkiness is side by side with that light cologne-y smell. Not going to be a favorite of mine but it's a very nice masculine smell, kind of mellow as opposed to sharp, once it's gone through the dry-down.

Overall: Not for me but interesting; somewhere between unisex and masculine.

A clean scent. I got the scent of long bladed grass all day. I feel this is more of a Spring scent but still enjoyable.