Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

La Belle au Bois Dormant

The Sleeping Beauty. A gentle, lovely scent, slightly soporific, but beautiful in its quiet repose. Plumeria and white pear, Damascus rose, tuberose, magnolia and evening dew.

Beautiful, warm fruity floral. Quite nice, with a crispness to it.

the name is stunning, too.

In the imp: Plumeria and pear, yup - this is a lot like Thalia, which had those two, but I can smell the rose and magnolia added in.

On me, wet: mmmmmmm pear. It's not a really clear pear note, what with all the florals softening it, but it's still mostly pear.

On me, dry: Soft, sweet pears, with some light florals - mostly magnolia, I guess - in the background. It's not too sweet, and it's fairly light.

Verdict: I think I need to compare this and Thalia side by side (well, wrist by wrist) - but I suspect this is different enough (less crisp and fresh, more girly softness) that I may end up keeping it too. Very nice indeed, especially as a springtime scent.

This was actually my first BPAL that I tried, and the first bottle ordered!

in the bottle, there is a sweet floral, yet a little fruity smell. On my wrist? it is sweet... i smell mostly the pear and magnolia. Delicious!!

My boyfriend loved this one, too, so much he is paying for the bottle ordered. That gives it extra bonus points!

Also: Made a great candle, too! :P My apartment smelled FAB!

In the bottle: Pear and magnolia, I think.

Wet: Flowers... I think it's tuberose or plumeria that I can smell, quite tart.

Drydown: The tartness softens into a rather creamy scent, and I can smell pear. It smells slightly woody actually, but also dewy. It's quite foody, actually, you can smell the thickness of fruit, possibly from the magnolia.

Overall: It's a rather tart and thick scent, more foody than I'd have expected. I think that it's pear dominating, but as I don't know many of the other flowers it could be mixed with one of them. The rose doesn't come out at all on me. A calm, quiet scent, but not one I really appreciate.

On the skin, wet, this is all strong florals and very, very sweet smelling. Once it dries, it stays strongly sweet and floral. There’s a hint of juicy, lush fruit behind the flowers that smells like apricot or pear. Ahh, after looking at the notes, I see that it’s pear. I can’t pick out the different floral notes in this, but they don’t seem to be rose or jasmine or gardenia. Nor lilies. Overall, I find this to be an aggressive floral-fruity scent that is well done but not my style.

La Belle starts as a strong floral, with an older feel, but lightens with time into a coconutty scent on me. It is also a touch powdery. Although it is a pretty scent, it's not for me.

Edited by gloom & doom bear

The pear is very evident at first swipe - it almost remonds me of pear flavoured Jelly Bellies, but not quite as sweet.

On dry down the florals come out and swamp the pear. I can just about smell the tuberose over the all consuming jasmine. And then it goes to soap on me after about an hour, which is a real disappointment.

Four hours from application, the soap smell is waning and I get a very faint reappearence of the pear tempered with jasmine/tuberose. I like this stage, but I'm not sure its worth the two hour soap stage, as it is VERY faint. Boo, I was really hoping this one would be a winner!

La Belle Au Bois Dormant is fresh and a lovely fruity-floral. Fruity-florals tend to be one of my favorite categories of fragrance, and this one does not disappoint. The pear and plumeria are the dominant notes and mingle to create a gorgeous, bright, white fruity and floral scent. The rose scents are faint on me, but present, and the magnolia is also evident, but does what magnolia rarely does on me and remains in the background and serves as little more than a backdrop that emphasizes the shape and character of the other notes. This is a very pretty scent. It is too light for winter, but perfect for warmer/sunnier months.

This scent was beautiful in the imp, but it completely disappeared on me after the oil dried. Either my skin just sucked it up too quickly or the notes just have no staying power on me, but it vanished each time I tried it.

rating: 1/5

In the bottle: Delicate and light with a hint of fruit...I know it's pear but it actually reminds me of apple crisp.

Wet: The same plus some extra floral elements. Really fits it's namesake well. There's something almost ethereal about it.

Dry: It's a very pretty scent. Femine but not too girly. The elements are blending so well that I'm having trouble picking out any individual notes. It's nice but something about it just isn't me.

i got this as a frimp from someone, and i figured it'd be too sweet, and it is, but it's got a slight earthiness, and i like it better than i thought i would (not a big fan of fruity scents.) it's very sweet and smells very youthful to me. personally it's too a bit too sweet, but lovers of fruity-florals will dig this :P

Edited by theseagrows

Lovely light flowers and pear. This is a very faint scent, very little throw at all on me. I can only make out the plumera in the flower notes. The pear is barely there, just enough to keep this from being too floral. La Belle is a very refined perfume scent.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Watery rose.

Pre-review thoughts: Going by previous reviews, I'd guess this'd be a slightly earthy, watery floral-fruit. Knowing my skin as I do, I am, however, expecting a watery, strong rose flanked by tuberose and magnolia.

In the imp: Sour rose, magnolia and pear.

On skin, wet: Rose! I really, really don't like rose, unfortunately.

On skin, dry: Rose and magnolia. My skin does awful, horrible things to rose, and LBaBD is no exception. Sour, bitter, and distinctly watery. The magnolia, surprisingly, is actually very nice, soft and a little sweet. It's really the rose (and my skin) sabotaging this.

Conclusion/Notes: Surprise surprise, I don't care for this for the rose. All the same, knowing the notes and my chemistry, I had to give it a shot, as I'm quite fond of pear in perfumes lately.

In the imp - There's pears in that there bottle. Cooked pears, pears poached in a delicately perfumed syrup.

Wet on skin - Now there are sweet flowers growing all over my cooked pears. They might be a bit sickly sweet but the pear has an earthy that grounds them.

Dry on skin - mmmm ... how to describe this? It's floral but woody at the same time, nothing specific jumps out at you. It's a peasant melange.

Later - Pretty much as before except it's developing undertones of soap on my skin :P

What a great sleepy time scent! I like lavender, but I get tired of it. Pears and flowers. Smooth, cool, and relaxing.

Once again either my skin or my nose fails me. La Belle is all sweet pear on my wrist -- sparkling and lovely but oh so simple. It also fades quite rapidly.

I thought about doing the slather test, but I already have a plumeria & pear scent (Thalia: Good Cheer) that I love. If something in La Belle doesn't go quite right for you, try Thalia! (Not Thaleia... :P )

La Belle au Bois Dormant-

In Bottle: Mmm, the pear note is delicious! Creamy pear. And there's the rose coming out a little too.

Wet: I lose the pear the instant it hits my skin and strong florals, mostly rose, leap out at me. I'll wait to see if the pear returns--I hope so, because I loved it. There's that touch of aquatic smell, that "evening dew."

Dry: No more fruit! Wah. I don't know all these florals, but the scent I have is no longer rose. They're very sharp, hot florals. Ozone-y. Kind of pretty-smelling but too sharp for me to fall in love with this.

Overall: Okay.

I love every note except for the plumeria. Plumeria just triggers a headache. *dang*

La Belle au Bois Dormant- the sleeping beauty of the woods

Sounds innocent enough, yet the scent implies an older, more experienced woman who knows things.

A slight fruity, magnolia and hmmm, is it tuberose or no? A loonngggg perfume; a scent to be breathed in slowly and hypnotized by.

Summary: another fruit&floral woman’s scent; quietly mysterious and seductive.

I smell pretty, oh so pretty...

My skin loves tuberose so I knew this would work on me, but OH HOW! I am obsessed with myself now...must smell self...constantly.

Sniff: The pear and plumeria are dominant. It seems cooler than I expected.

Wet: There's that tuberose! Still pear and plumeria, but the tuberose jumps out.

Dry-down: Tuberose and magnolia...I am magnificent! *takes an enormous wrist sniff* :P

Well, I have only ever bought 5ml bottles before but I can tell I am going to slather this one on so I'm going to need a 10ml. :D

UNCLE!!! I give up sniffing for today. Everything has been bad.

Wet - this is such a quiet scent. Pear, magnolia, an old rose and a strange sour green (plant-like, not fruity) note.

Dry - pear, plumeria, the same sour note, and the magnolia and rose seem to die away.

I can't say this is bad, but I can't say that I really like it either.

In the vial and on wet I get this juicy ripe pear note... like sliced pears drenched in their own syrup. :D After the initial drydown a light touch of rose and a very light aquatic lend the most beautiful undertone to this blend. Ahh, these fruity blends are just the best. Must pick up a bottle of this one. :P

In the Imp: Juicy pears and a touch of florals, mostly magnolia, though I can get a touch of rose.

Initial Wet: Overpoweringly fruity bubble gum. Sticky sweet.

Initial Dry: Froot Loops and florals. Mostly magnolia and plumeria with a undercurrant of roses.

Drier Dry: It alternates between a lovely pear blossom scent in the throw and the smell of damp sweatsocks. :P

Awww... my anti-fruit chemistry strikes again. The initial scent reminds me of Jailbait, then it goes sour. I wish it wouldn't tempt me with the good scent, only to have me sniff and go 'ew...'