Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

La Belle au Bois Dormant

The Sleeping Beauty. A gentle, lovely scent, slightly soporific, but beautiful in its quiet repose. Plumeria and white pear, Damascus rose, tuberose, magnolia and evening dew.

Thoughts before testing: I'm a magnolia fiend, so any blend with it as a note gets an automatic try. The rest of the notes are all winners, so I'm expecting good things from La Belle :)

Wet: STRONG tuberose, to the exclusion of everything else. Not bad at all, just very strong and heavy handed.

Dry down: The tuberose dies down a little and the plumeria and magnolia become a little more prominent. This is lovely!

Dry: The Damascus rose makes an appearance and the tuberose is mostly gone by this stage. Such a pretty floral!

Final thoughts: I'm a lover of lush florals, and LBaBD certainly fits that bill. I get no pear, but I honestly don't miss it. I really like this, and it lasted quite a while (around 4 hours).

Verdict: Keeping the imp, definite bottle.

In the imp- white scent, definitely, and the pear note is very prominent, which I love.

On skin, wet- there's an almost chemical sharpness that warns my nose away.

On skin, dry- pear, where are you? This is light and perfumey and nothing like I expected. And, after all the LOVE for Titania and Rapulzel, I expected this was my next hit oil. Still... very pretty, feminine.

Rating -3/5

Imp: A sweet white floral and an almost alcoholic pear. Like a gorgeous, summery mixed drink.

Wet: Clean, fruity, magnolia soap. Yum. Perfect for a bright spring day like today!

Dry: Sadly, this turns into the fancy milled soap that so many floral BPALs do on my skin.

I JUST discovered this scent when it's label caught my eye .......no reason at all, and there it was.... all gorgeous and light and enchanting.......I need a bottle of this.

In the imp: A calm, fruity, dewy, white floral. The notes are all quite strong, but they're blending together instead of competing. It's strangely relaxing (like a cool breeze on a spring evening) & a little hypnotising. This definitely suits a princess cursed with a magical sleep!

Wet on skin: The scent strengthens for a moment & then... almost vanishes! It's VERY faint on me now, like a slightly fruity-floral dew. What little is left does still smell magical though - like the aftermath of a spell, perhaps? After the princess has already been asleep for a long time.

Dry on skin: It's back! Milder & slightly muskier than in the imp, but closer to the imp than it was when wet.

After a few hours: About the same as dry, just a little more faded & slightly soapy (but in a nice way).

Verdict: This is REALLY pretty, despite behaving weirdly at first! I can see this finding it's way into my most-worn list!

In the imp: A soft, sweet, gentle scent. Floral and fruity, in that order, which is actually a bit concerning - I amp fruit like nobody's business, and while I do like the smell of pears, I hope this allows for the other scents to shine, too.

Wet: Ah, hello, rose! The other florals are in there too, but rose is the most easily distinguishable right off the bat. Which suits me just fine - my IRL name is Rose, Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite Disney Princesses, and I've always loved the idea of wild roses growing up around her tower. This isn't an old-ladyish rose, though. The dew (HOW do they recreate the smell of *dew*?) keeps it fresh and young, without veering into immaturity. The more I think about it, this is exactly what a princess would smell like: subtle, elegant, and having just come in from picking flowers.

Dry: It was such a soft scent to begin with, it didn't take the florals long to fade entirely. My opinion may be a bit skewed, though, since I spent today working with some pretty strong-smelling hair chemicals that could easily overwhelm such a subtle perfume.

Imp: Soft fruits.

Wet: Pear and plum, sweet and fruity for a few minutes before turning into a soft, floralish soap/laundry powder.

Dry: After a while (a long while), this burns off a bit to reveal a sweet, fruity note. However, the soapy undertone is always there and while it's not exactly unpleasant, it's not really anything I was hoping for from this.

Lifespan and throw are both average and, in my experience, this one doesn't age as well as most of the others. Certainly the longer I keep my imps, the more soapy they become.

Stars: ★★

In the imp: Penny sweets.

Wet: Reeeally sweet pear. Like Pear Drops.

Dry: Still getting mainly pear, but it's fresher now somehow.

It settles to something sweet and delicate when the magnolia finally comes out. I can't identify the other flower notes, they all just smell very white.

This was a frimp. I'm excited to try it!

Wet: Really strong sweet floral with something almost creamy. a bit fruity.

Dry: This has that weird "butter" note that I found in Thalia. They both have plumeria and pear, so I don't know what the culprit is, but it ruins it for me.

Ah :wub2: this was love at first sniff.

The first time I sniffed it on the imp, I immediately got the fresh, bright pear, followed by some mellow florals. It's refreshing and yet sweet, and stays pretty true to the wet stage as it dries.

This would be the perfect spring scent, as the floral notes from the lab tend to be so close to the source and it doesn't smell fake at all. I think I used to dislike florals because they just smelled perfume-y and generic, but I am now a changed woman, ready to rock some crisp florals when the Spring comes!

In the vial: Pear!! It reminds me a little bit of Titania in the imp.

Wet: Sweet-tart and VERY fruity. Almost all pear on me at this point - maybe even a slightly underripe pear, giving off a little bit of a tart-green scent. This also reminds me a little bit of the sappy green parts of Rose Red or The Rose (the former of which I didn't like, the latter of which I do). Rose Red was all chilly green apples on me, so this tart-sappy-green-fruity quality is similar to me.

After a bit, the pear chills out a little and lets the florals come forward some. I do still smell a similarity to the greener roses in the BPAL catalog, so I am definitely getting the rose note. The white florals are more understated than usual on me, perhaps overshadowed by the greenish pear-rose scent.

While I don't hate the initial stages of this, I'm usually not much of a "fruity-floral" person. Generally, if I'm looking for a floral, I do want something that's Floral rather than fruit-forward. I like florals that have fruity qualities, and I like florals where the fruit enhances certain characteristics of the floral (especially in rose blends, like Persephone), but blends that are "fruity florals" aren't usually my favorite, maybe because my skin often makes them overly sweet. There are very few exceptions to this, even in the BPAL catalog, but Titania was definitely one of them - sweet, sparkly, translucent Titania. Recently I've been finding even Titania a little too sweet and fruity for my liking, though, like drinking 7-Up or Sprite when you're expecting lime flavored seltzer water. (? Does that even make any sense?) I've had the imp for quite a while so it's possible it's aged into a sweeter scent, or it's possible my skin chemistry or tastes are changing.

La Belle au Bois Dormant is a sister-scent to Titania, on me. Titania's pear note is riper and sweeter, with a couple of other very sweet fruit notes (peach, grape) and the florals are sweet and translucent, supporting the fruit notes rather than lending much of a floral character. La Belle au Bois Dormant's pear note is greener and combines with the rose note in a very pretty way, to give an impression of a very fresh, clear rose. A white rose with the barest tinge of pink to the edges of the petals, just beginning to bloom. The other floral notes support those two dominant notes, which is extremely surprising to me, as both tuberose and gardenia can take over a blend on me. This is lovely and I am glad I finally bought an imp!

Imp: White clean floral. Strong plumeria! With a background of of pear and rose.

Wet: Clean watery floral, the tuberose amps at first.

Dry: The florals blend, into a delicate scent with a soft touch of sweetness. Good throw. Like a spring garden in the morning after a rain. This will be a great Spring scent!

Very stereotypical fruity floral, intense but staying close to the skin. The pear is very potent on me.

Might be a good starter scent for a person used to drugstore or mall counter fare - pretty much standard currently popular juice, with added bonus of low sillage thanks to the nature of the oils. Office- and possibly date-friendly. To the point I'm actually considering a purchase for when I need an inoffensive scent - most of my great loves too quirky and/or not very...environment-friendly.

Edited by Convallaria

I've smelled this before and it's not helping that I can't recall where. A soft, sweet pear in the background, fuzzy light florals in the front. A cold winter morning in an ancient castle, filled with flowers and a grandiose fruit cornucopia?

This is lovely: an ultra feminine, spring-time scent. It belongs on a wide-eyed girl in a white muslin dress.

Pear floating over wispy florals & a hint of dew. I get whiffs of this in the air around me, but it's hard to smell on my skin directly. If I press my nose directly to my skin, there is only a faint soapiness.

Edited by me & lola

Tuberose usually ruins a scent for me, but I was hoping that if it was listed that far back in the credits, it would behave and not hog the stage. And for the most part it did. I know it's there, but it's not dominating ruthlessly. Pear and plumeria are so beautiful, and the rose takes prominence as it dries down. This is a lovely, feminine scent. I wish it lasted longer on me, though.

Where I would wear this: a garden party in April

In the imp, this is a sweet, rosy pear. On me, the pear fades a little, and the florals start to amp. I don't get any rose, but I do get a lot of plumeria, sweetened by pear. This is a very light, pleasant scent. It isn't too cloying or sharp, as florals can often be on me. This is a soft, fruity floral. Perfect for work. I think I need a bottle!

How have I never noticed this scent before? A beautiful creamy white floral, I get primarily magnolia and tuberose with sweet spike of plumeria and some juicy pear. Beautiful for spring!

This is one of those blends I had to look up the notes for to know what exactly I was smelling. All the separate notes marry into a perfect circle and become their own unique scent. All the notes get along beautifully. Juicy "dry" pear and rose are the more prevalent notes to my nose but I'm no expert on the other scents in the blend which may be why I'm not picking them out individually. I find this soothing and calming without being boring or boxing itself in as a "sleep" scent.

In the imp: White pear, florals, and mist. Of the flowers, the rose and plumeria stand out most to me.

Wet: The white pear and florals, enrobed in mist. The rose is the strongest of the floral notes on me, but it hasn't taken over.

Dry: The white pear and floral notes continue to reign for a while, with the mist intertwining with those notes, and the tuberose being more prominent than before. But after a while, the pear and the mist calm down, and it ends up being a soft floral scent, with a bit of pear and mist in the background.

Verdict: This is a nice fruity floral with an aquatic vibe from the mist. I could not envision myself reaching for this, but I do think it is pleasant (especially when the pear and mist are more prominent).

I only get plumeria and aquatic, making this feel somewhat tropical to me. It is a calm, gentle floral scent as advertised, and would likely shine when worn in the spring.