Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

La Belle au Bois Dormant

The Sleeping Beauty. A gentle, lovely scent, slightly soporific, but beautiful in its quiet repose. Plumeria and white pear, Damascus rose, tuberose, magnolia and evening dew.

A fabulous frimp from the lab; thank you!!

In the imp:
Smells so much better in the imp than on me. A gorgeous white, fruity floral. A little dewy. A little bit of rose. Gentle, sweet pear. And already... a hint of soap? I guess that must come out one of the notes that I don't individually know yet (plumeria or tuberose). Truth be told, I can't even remember what magnolia smells like anymore, so it could even be that.

On my skin:
A very bright, crystalline white floral with little shimmers of pear... and soap. The individual notes sing out one after another in swirls of perfume, but under it all, it's still pretty soapy. It's quite an innocent scent. Clean. Springlike. Makes me think of flowering fruit trees and twinkling sunshine and splashing water in a courtyard fountain.

Dry:
Sweet floral with a hint of rose and soap. The florals and pear are a little too uppity to really evoke for me the description's "slightly soporific" "quiet repose". It's actually more uplifting.

That said... WHY DOES EVERYTHING TURN TO SOAP ON ME?! Edited by obsidienne

In the imp: Very sweet floral. Almost like Ophelia, but not as sweet. It's a bit like candy.

Wet: Very pretty floral. Not as much candy anymore. It's a strong scent, but it's staying close to the skin. I don't get aquatic from this at all.

Dry: Soap. I think it's the plumeria. Although there is still a bit of the sweetness in there, but it's too soapy for me. And it got stronger.

Overall: Lovely sweet at first. And it lasts for a while. But it does turn on me, and I didn't enjoy that. And I was out when wearing it, so I had nowhere to wash it off. It changes drastically, and in a way that didn't work for me.

In the vial: flowery candy, I think this is the plumeria

Wet: Rose, but not soapy rose, graceful rose with the plumeria poking through. This is a great combo. Usually I can only wear tea rose scents or else they go soapy. I think the sweetness of the plumeria counteracts that effect.

Drydown: The rose and plumeria are blending beautifully now. I've always sort of liked the smell of plumeria, but am usually turned off by the artificial twang that other brands have. This is so real. So classy! It's almost like Peacock Queen, only better and more complex. I'm very impressed.

In the imp: Lovely plumeria and juicy JUICY pear. I can also get a little magnolia, and the slightest rose. This is definitely a moist smelling blend! Smells delicious-- like pear wine or something.

Wet: Little more plumeria, not as much sweetness. Lovely light floral. Still very cool and wet.

Dry: Pretty much a standard classic floral.. little bit sweet, little bit tangy. Strong plumeria and rose. I love the pear in this, but it fades quite a bit from it's initial strength.

It`s definitely plumeria and juicy pear in the vial and on skin, settling on a soft and glowing floral on the drydown. The pear never disappears so I suppose that floral-haters like me can use La belle when they want a soft, delicate and sophisticated perfume. I liked a lot the innocence of this blend too!

in the imp: sweet candy-like floral.

wet on skin: i'm getting the candy-like quality i usually associate with gardenia, but i think it might be the pear. it's juicy, but more floral than it was in, say, the Perilous Parlor.

dry down: i get hints of CatHouse in here, but whereas that scent took florals and made them sext in a Southern Belle kind of way, this is not sexy to me in the slightest.

in all: not offensive, but the sort of thing my kindly widowed 1st grade teacher would have worn. *shrugs*

sleepingbeauty.jpg

Wet: Florals and a juicy pear-fruitiness.

Dry: Wet pears settle into the back, and florals come out with a green stem sort of quality. This also has a bit of a play-doh-y tone on me, don’t know why…

Overall: A very pretty fruity/floral blend. But not something I could see myself wearing with regularity. I shall find it a new home.

Edited by jewelbug

Very crystalline and light. It's a floral with watery pear. Very delicate, feminine, gentle and soft, the way I would imagine Sleeping Beauty to be. The rose comes out in the beginning but quickly blends away into the scent and remains more in the background while the pear and plumeria take over. Definitely not a noticeable scent. It has little throw and I have to sniff my wrist in order to catch a whiff of it--but this could be a good thing. Not all scents needs to scream and announce themselves boldly.

I am definitely picking up the magnolia. Now pear is sneaking in and sitting down right next to the big white flower. I do believe that a wisp of plumeria is floating about here too.

LOVE. I picture mint juleps on the veranda... in the evening, while wearing a gauzy white dress and a big floppy lacy hat. This scent is SO Southern.

To me, this smells just like Crabtree and Evelyn floral soap, I don't know which one exactly but it's that kind of smell.

It doesn't smell like pure soapiness (e.g. Persephone) but just like someone is holding a bar of soap under your nose. It's not that bad really but a little artificial and not what I was hoping for.

2.5/5 I really wished this worked for me.

Smells like nothing but fresh pears in the bottle, but once it gets on skin it turns powdery and perfumey and overly flowered - everything that I don't like! *sad face* It mellows, but not enough. Practically every other review says this smells like straight-up pear juice, but for me it's hardly any pear at all. I think it's the plumeria, magnolia, and tuberose (in extremely strong iterations) that overpower everything else in there. And now, a couple of hours later, it's a boring vague perfume scent on my wrist. Unfortunately not one of my wins (and I was so hoping it would be - something soporific had major appeal to me).

The lab's magnolia and pear notes have always worked well for me, and when they get together with the tuberose and plumeria, it's pretty successful. The two roses anchor things and keep this scent from becoming too ethereal. It's a soft, bare skin scent, sensuous and innocent. I don't know I need a bottle, but I think I should get another imp so I can decide for sure.

Smelled too sweet in the bottle for me. It may be the pear. Wet on my skin it smelled a bit like Herbal Essences. Rubbing my wrists together softened that artificially sweet edge, but the scent was still a bit too saccharine for me. Over the last few hours its mellowed into a nice mildly sweet, slightly powdery floral. Not really my thing, but its very pretty in that way.

Pear! Sweet and lovely. Feminine and fresh with some flowers thrown in. Works better than any pear scent I've tried so far :)

Bottle: Light florals and pear. A tad sweet.

Wet: Stronger florals. Not as sweet as it was in the bottle. This scent is delicate.

1 hour in: Soapy floral. Not for me. I would try it if you're looking for something clean and innocent, though.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description --Shollin

In Bottle - It smells like the fragrance that you get when you buy a hair dye kit to make the dye not smell so strong. Not so good smelling...

Wet - Strongly sweet and floral with a little bit of the pear, but mostly very sweet, almost sugary. I like it though, but a bit strong.

Dry - Still sweet, can smell more of the pear and it smells wonderful to me. I can really smell the plumeria and tuberose.

Overall, this is a beautiful perfume, it is very sweet which I like and it gives me a very feminine feel. It is very long lasting on my skin too.

Oh I just love plumeria scents! This is really light and lovely. A soft, fuzzy plumeria scent warmed over with a pink rosey floral bouquet. Very very girly and perfumey; just beautiful. This is a very light scent (then again my nose is a bit clogged) and you have to get close to my skin to detect it. I like this a lot more than I thought I would, very cool.

At first I think this is way too fruity for me, almost smells like berries, but the tart fruit calms down after just a few minutes, then it's a nice soft pear smell and rose. I love this stage. But soon after it gets really weak and just powdery and I can barely smell the pear anymore.

Tried this on fabric to see if it would work in a scent locket but it's way too fruity. It smells like sweet tarts taste.

A lot of times the "white" scents give me headaches when some note is too distinct, sharp, or powdery...but in this one, everything's perfectly balanced. It's what I expected Endymion to be, and while it's similar, Endy aint got nothing on this sleeping beauty! Pear and gorgeous white florals. Booooottle please :wub:

Woohoo! A blend that doesn't amp rose on me! Usually all rose scents turn to soap on me. This is a lovely blend. I do believe it's the plumeria combined with the white pear.

ETA: Darn it! I spoke too soon. For some reason I am now smelling soapy rose on me. Why rose, why do you hate me so???

This is a pretty feminine floral if rose works for you.

Edited by boxinghelena

In bottle: There is no point in skin testing this due to the high rose content. This is very young and very floral. The magnolias aren’t kidding. It is aggressively sweet and likely would work best on a teenager. It would be hard for someone with more mature skin chemistry to carry. It would be utterly impossible on me.

Ooooh, plumeria! It's the kind of floral that gets a little sharp, but still a good overall impression of the scent.

In the bottle this is roses, roses, roses. I can't smell anything else. On me I get a hint of pear, but can't seem to discern any other notes. I smell sweetly of pears and roses; it's pleasant, but not particularly spectacular. I'll be keeping my imp, but I don't think this is a big bottle scent. It's nice but it doesn't really impress me.