Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Urd

Muscadine, black and red patchouli, cereus and nag champa.

First sniff:

Gorgeous! Wild grapes and patchouli with a hint of nag champa. This smells like the wild grapes me neighbor used to grow when I was little combined with the earthiness of patchouli and the sweet incense smoke of nag champa. I don't normally do fruit scents, but this is absolutely gorgeous.

Wet on skin:

The nag champa and patchouli are more prominent now, bubbling up from under the grapes and making it completing the mental picture I have of a grape vine. The muscadine gives the scent of the grapes and the patchouli the scent of the earth the vines are growing in. I was a bit worried that the muscadine would be too strong for me since I don't normally wear fruit scents, but this is gorgeous!

Dry down:

The muscadine has faded to the point where it's only a whisper in the background. Urd is pure patchouli and nag champa on me now which makes me a very happy girl! This is just the sort of scent that I love. I'm definitely going to have to get a bottle of this one, no doubt about it.

The bottom line:

Urd is gorgeous. Earthy and slightly fruity on the dry down. It reminds me of a vinyard and it smells divine. I'm definitely getting a bottle of this. :P

Urd is one of those life-changing scents for me, I think.

This is something that I have been looking for, for a long, long time.

You know that feeling when you walk into an old incense shop or headshop, that has been there for a long, long time, and years or even decades of incense smoke have saturated themselves into the walls, and everything is infused with a thick mixture of every type of incense? You get this waft of scent that just pours out of the store, and clings to you after you leave.

That is Urd.

In the bottle, it is a mixture of sweetness and incense, kind of similar to Lust actually -- it has the same dry, incensy quality about it but I think that the muscadine gives it a bit more of a buoyant, sweet quality. Once on my wrists, a magical transformation takes place, and I feel as though I have been steeped in incense since the 1960s. It gets deep into my skin and settles there, and it burns like a hundred sticks of nag champa and patchouli, getting slightly lighter as several hours elapse. It evokes dark, smoke-stained red velvet curtains and hand-woven tapestries piled up with colorful cushions.

This is definitely one of my holy grails, as a devout incense lover who wants to smell like a headshop. The patchouli lends a dry, earthy quality and the champa does not become too overpowering -- but you definitely need to be a fan of those scents to be a serious Urd-wearer! :P

I can't believe I didn't just order a 5 ml right when I read the description but hopefully I can keep from SPILLING this until my bottle comes. I ordered one within a minute of putting it on my skin. This goes on my "Please Please Please Don't Ever Stop Making This And If You Do I'll Pay You $100 A Bottle Just To Make It For Me!!!!" list!

ETA: Just had to say, ten hours after I applied this behind the ears today it is STILL going strong, and clinging to my hair in a most wonderful way!

Edited by sarada

I only tested this on my hand....but since I got such a good reaction to it, I'll post a partial review. As stated, I swiped the wand on my hand a couple times to test this while I was at work. A little while later, my co-worker said "what smells so good in here?". I thought it couldn't possibly be me since I had such a minute amount on, but sure enough...I was the culprit. She fell in love with it and even asked me to buy a bottle for her with my next order. I was afraid to order this because I have no idea what muscadine is. I see it must be some sort of fruit. Whatever the top note is in the scent, it is very sharp/bitter on me but once it calms down, it is slightly sweet, slightly fruity and heavy on the incense and patchouli. This is an incense scent that is quite unique done in true BPAL fashion. I will update this review after I officially wear this. It will be interesting to see how this actually wears on throughout the day when I officially wear it. I'm hoping it fades into a sexy incensy scent (as I expect).

I could not resist an oil named for the Norns, so I bought 5mls of all 3 as soon as they were released.

In the bottle, this is incensey patchouli heaven. LOVE.

Putting it on, some of the winey-grape fruit notes come out, but it's still tempered by the patchouli. I'm digging this so much.

Drydown: I've been wearing this for 10 or 11 hours now, and it's still going strong. The fruit notes have pretty much gone away, but what is left is a super dry, woody scent of patchouli and nag champa.

THIS IS SO GREAT. :P

My first whiff from the bottle granted me an unidentifiable, offensive smell. "I don't think this one is a keeper," was my first thought.

However, ever the optimist (ha!) I thought I'd give Urd a shot just in case it held something special upon further examination. Ugh. Wet on the skin its strong and musty. I can see the appeal it might hold for some people who might desire heavier scents, but this just is not me.

I kept it on while I typed the review, but now I need to go wash it off. I noticed none the grape notes that others seemed to pick up, unfortunatly. :P

Edited by Jessica

Urd is now officially my favourite patchouli blend. It's just heavenly. It has a strong patchouli scent, with a bit of smokiness like Lapsang Souchong tea, and a touch of sweet fruitiness from the muscadine. It's dark and smoky and sexy and sweet, without being sour or cloying. It reminds me of the scent of the Lush store in Reykjavik. If you are a patchouli fan, you have to get this one.

Urd - in the bottle I don't get much of an impression. It's not sweet or floral, it just...is.

Once on I can smell the Nag Champa and an earthy fresh soil kind of scent. Very different than what I could smell in the bottle but I like it. After about an hour the earthiness is gone and has been replaced by something warm, red patchouli perhaps? It pairs well with the Nag Champa and underneath both I get traces of sweetness. Until I started wearing BPAL I wouldn't go near anything with patchouli in it but Beth's patchouli blends are just so wonderful and complex. Urd is another stunning accomplishment :P

I really really wanted to love Fate, because, well, it's Fate! There's something kind of juicy in here, which I love, but me and the patchouli are not getting along and I really should give up on making our relationship last. sigh.

First Impression: Blood Lotus?

Second Impression: I don't get the grapes, how sad. This smells like Blood Lotus mixed with some leather. It then morphs into smelling just like Loviatar on me.

Final Analysis: I'm not keen on this. The leather is throwing me off.

Urd

Sniffing from the bottle: Wow, it smells pretty sharp...almost like cedar.

Upon first application: Oh, but the muscadine is really strong upon application. In one of those weird twist of fate, scents with wine in them smell ghastly on me, but grape is wonderful. Yum.

After a few minutes: On me this is a fairly even balance between black patchouli and grape. It's absolutely wonderful, but fairly strong. I think just a dab is required.

Conclusion: So, so happy I bought a bottle unsniffed. I generally don't like black patchouli, but it is sweetened up so beautifully by the grape in this blend. It's funny, I ordered this because I love nag champa, but I don't get really sense it at all in this oil. I love it!

I don't know whether I got an imp that was a little off or whether it's just my bizarre skin chemistry, but --

on me, Urd smells like nothing so much as fresh PENCIL SHAVINGS.

You know, the stuff you clean out of the pencil sharpener.

Sadly, I had to wash this one off almost immediately. It turned into a sweet animal scent (similar to Lust, like Sarada mentioned) on me and unfortunately I can't wear any of the BPAL scents in that family (lord knows I've tried).

I could see what the fans of it were talking about, though. It does smell like some fruity LUSH products, and the grapes in it are wonderful. However my skin seems to bring out some sort of "unwashed" note in the oil - & not in a good, healthy, earthy way.

Ah well, many other oils to love.

bottle: Grape jelly!

wet: grapes sitting on a handful of patchouli, a dark, dry patchouli

drydown, grapes go away! I can't smell the patchoili for the grape jelly!

dry: a quixotic blend, one sniff and I get grapes, the next pure patchouli.

I really don't get muscadine, I get grape jelly, smuckers. Overall I like this though even though I was hunting a more mucsadine scent, slightly less sweet. This does not make my mouth water like fresh muscadines do, but it is really nice anyway. As the grapes dry down the patchoili and nag champa continue to play, very nice very clean and uncluttered compared to the likes of the caterpillar.

I got a bottle of this untested, glad i got it, and I''m also looking forward to it as it ages. I know patchouli ages well and I'm hoping the grape will fade a tiny bit.

edit Grapes go away!!! You are making me nauseated!!!! I might have to swap this after all :P

any takers?

Edited by mmcfa2

This was JUST what I was looking for - the perfect blend of patchouli and nag champa, two of my favorite smells ever. I agree with the person who mentioned it had that head shop/new age store smell - which is one of my favorite smells ever. I plan to buy a bottle when the pink moon goes live. I can't get enough of it, and I'm totally hoarding my imp!!! :P

ETA: My 5ml is almost done and I've been working on my 10ml bottle. This is my official signature scent and I get compliments ALL the time with it. Thank you Beth for such a comforting and amazing blend!

Edited by violetblue

Initial Sniff: Fruit and patchouli. Sharp and sour at the same time.

Wearing:When wet the patchouli is very strong, yet this fruity sweetness is hovering in the background. Then the fruit really blossoms, and the patchouli provides an interesting base - the incense notes make their first appearance at this stage as well. After a while, the fruit and patchouli slowly fade, leaving a delicious incense smell behind.

Final Impressions: :P Sign me up for a big bottle! I love each chapter of the story that is Urd on my skin.

:P

My first order, first bottle, and definitely my first love. I might need a 10ml of this one because I can easily see the 5ml going very quickly.

In the bottle

Wonderfully musty! I'm one of those weirdos who loves "basement" smells, and this smells like the basement of a weird old lady who lives in the creepy old house at the top of the hill.

Freshly applied

Yes! I'm completely nuts about this already. It's still quite musty, but more in a cave-like way. Very wet and earthy with a hint of old incense, but fruity enough to keep from smelling like a head shop.

Dry

It just gets better as it dries, and it lasts all day on me. While the scent definitely gets sweeter and the grape becomes more prominent, it never crosses into "Smuckers" territory. The longer I wear it, the more I picture sitting in a cave during a rainstorm while reading old books.

Overall, I couldn't be more thrilled with this scent. I want to fill the tub with it and stay there all day. I can't stop smelling my wrists... I even fell asleep with my face up against my arms! I want more. Much, much more.

Urd is proof that I think I should try more things that I think I won't like. I hadn't wanted to try Urd because I was sure that it wasn't going to be me at all. I don't seem to do well with black patchouli-even though I find that I quite like the red. But, still, I figured it would be one of those uber!patchouli blends that make me think of spider legs or nose hair. (Don't ask, it just does. LOL) Then, those clever labbies sent 2 imps of Urd with my last order as freebies. I was feeling game and tried it out. I LOVE it. It's very incensey and headshoppy in the absolute best way ever. It's the kind of scent that evokes memories of macromae (spelling? LOL), hanging chairs, green plants, and the long light of late afternoon. The 70s, in short, but the 70s as I remember them from childhood. Big mustaches! Wide leg pants! And, oh yes, those hippy headshop used book stores that Mother used to let me go wild in. It's somewhat woody on me, very red, and just all together bitchready, incensey glory.

Edited by pkwench

I kind of like Urd, kind of don't like it...

In the vial, it's very, very sweet, but with a tang of patchouli that makes me wince and swallow a little harder.

Once on my skin, it smells kind of fruity-sweet on top of a base of patchouli, almost like "Hi, I'm eating Sweet Tarts while lighting up some patchouli, man..." Yeah.

After a while, it's almost all patchouli, but it's not the dirty hippie kind of patchouli -- it's the warmer, softer red kind. And it kind of reminds me of the smell of Black Broom -- kind of patchouli, kind of other incensey, kind of BPAL generic and other oils all mixed together and all of that.

It's not bad, but I'm not sure I'll keep it because patchouli isn't my friend in any way. :P

Urd is the scent of a wine cellar.

Astringent tannins, darkness, grapes and noble rot. It's waiting patiently for something complex and wonderful to reach completion.

Living in wine country, this has a whole lot of appeal for me.

Holy patchouli butter & jelly sandwich! Urd is right up there next to Sin as one of my favorite BPAL patchouli blends. I went ahead and just ordered a bottle of this because I know from experience that I just can’t resist the blends with patchouli in them. I’m so glad I did, as I love this!

The patchouli here is sweetened up considerably with the muscadine, which adds a grapey, almost jam-like note. It sounds wacky, but it goes so well with the patchouli and really dresses the blend up a bit. I would not hesitate to wear this to the office in the summertime, as it’s sort of “ patchouli in heels.”

Urd is also really comforting. This is a good Saturday perfume for me, as it’s so earthy and low-key. Love it.

ETA: Note to self: read review for typos before posting!

Edited by LiberAmoris

Wet it's sweet and a bit woody.

I smell old books and a closed shop. I smell an incense shop, maybe.

Dry it's fesh and a bit fruity. Nice but just that, nice. :D

I really wanted to like this one, because the concept is so atractive...

I'll give it a second shot. :P

in the vial grapes, lucious, fruity sweet

on:the patchouli comes out to play as well as nag champa and the grapes run away, i like patchouliand nag champa, this is not bad at all :P

In the bottle this smells earthy with a hint of sweet. For some reason I knew I would love this so I slathered. I got patchouli right away. But as I would walk around I would get a whif of something grapey. The combination was lovely. I didnt realize that I would get along with something with grape scent. But I love it. Then I go back and read the description and no wonder it was grapey...there is muscadine in it. My husband will get a kick out of that. He has about three jars of muscadine preserves in the pantry that his mommy sends him yearly from Mississippi.

This one lasted long on me...I am glad for that. I didnt get any nag champa...but I will definitely try to pick it out the next time I wear this. Nag champa incense is a staple in my home so I can definitely appreciate the use of this oil in any blend.

Thumbs up.

I like all of the lab’s oils that smell like incense, and this one is no exception. Nag champa mostly, with the sweetness of grapes. Stays strong for a long time.

Recieved this imp as a freebie... and you get what you pay for. :P

First impression: all over OVERWHELMING patchouli

A minute later: oooooooh BAD. badbad bad. Sweet and spicey, which is normally good but somehow this one really isn't. The spicy component reminds me of curry (tumeric almost) while the sweet is just turning my stomach.

An hour later: okay, all the notes that hate me have finally faded. There's a mild patchouli left and a mild sweetness and the combination reminds me a bit of a lighter Corazon, mostly in that both smells remind me of the inside of a magickal/new age shop. But this one is lighter. It's nice now, but the first hour or so works so badly on me that this goes straight to the swap pile. I know other people like this one more than I do!