Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Scylla

Dirty

A wonderful antidote to an all-nighter oozing with drunken, addled perversion and debauchery. A fresh, crisp white linen scent: perfectly clean, perfectly breezy.

Frimp from the lab :P

Fresh clean hot summer sheets in my parents back garden. Somewhat flowery, a hint of the sweet pea and lillies at the back of the garden, the scent of them blown thru by the breeze.

Definete keeper and bottle purchase eventually :D

Dirty

I usually try not to read the review of a scent until after I have reviewed it so as not to be influenced by other opinions. But, for some reason I just couldn't review without reading first. I am so on the line with this scent. I don't dislike it and I don't love it. I feel very neutral about it and that is unusual for me. I'm kinda a black and white type person. Now on the the review...

In the bottle: Fresh, but in a soft, not sharp, way.

On me: Nice. I believe that the clean laundry description is accurate. Very mild. Lovely, but not for me. I like my scent a bit more unique.

If I smelled this good when I was dirty, I'd never have to shower!

Dirty smells so clean and fresh. There are florals but they aren't strong enough to knock you out. I'd swear there was some white tea to help keep the florals light. This is a large bottle must!!!

For a scent called Dirty, this is very clean. I smell fresh air, sweet flowers, and perhaps a hint of damp earth. I can also see where people are getting the fresh linen idea from. This would be a wonderful, subtle, refreshing summer scent, and it's definitely full bottle worthy. Add it to the long list!

In the imp - Floral, sweet. I'm still learning to identify different flowers and couldn't place what I smell here. I think it's plumeria, based on what others have said.

Wet - Floral, still sweet, but there's a clean, nearly aquatic (but not quite!) characteristic to it.

Dry - Something that reminds me of a tamer version of Szepasszony (also an aquatic floral to me), but it's turning into Head and Shoulders! No! Now all I can get from this is Head and Shoulders shampoo :P

If only that shampoo scent were a passing phase, but that's where it settles on me.

In the imp, this smells like sweet flowers. On the skin, it smells lightly floral and clean, a clear, crisp scent. It is slightly high pitched, meaning there is a very sweet strong top note. It smells a little ozoney and a little lemony. As it wears, the florals go away and the lemony, ozone smell becomes more prominant. It smells like its description. The longer it's been on, the more it smells like clean sheets dried in the sun on a breezy summer day. It's very well done and evocative.

Once dry, this scent reminds me of a big, fluffy pile of freshly washed towels. The smell is remarkably true to clean laundry, but it's not a scent I'd want to wear.

rating: 2/5

Imp: Clean and white, with a whiff of ozone.

Wet: White floral - not quite the plumeria others have gotten, but floral.

Drydown: Laundry softener. It's not quite soapy and not quite as chemical as Downy, but it definitely smells like laundry.

1 hour: Light and clean and not perfumey at all. Still smells like laundry.

Verdict: Not so much as a skin scent. However, in this current heat wave, I'd consider cutting this with alcohol and making an atomizer spray to keep in the icebox. It does smell like laundry, enough so that it seems redundant next to freshly-washed clothing. Possibly a linen spray - if I want cold white floral, I'm more likely to wear Szepasszony.

This is fresh and light, very appealing. First try, I put on a very little bit because I was off to take a test at work. It lasted a few hours on me, pretty faint but still there. I got another weird note in this.....something really rich, almost egg-y. Call me crazy but it kept reminding me of mayonnaise!

So when I got home I wanted to see if I was losing my mind, and I reapplied Dirty a little more heavily. Yep, there it was: something turning to mayonnaise on me in the background. I had to actually rinse some of it off because it was making me feel a little queasy (that'll teach me to over-do it!).

So what does all this mean? I still like Dirty, but will most likely not seek it out again. I can't swap it because the lid is cracked and half of it leaked out anyway. I'll most likely try it again just to try to figure out this weird note that comes out on me.

This smells like that clean laundry smell so popular for kitchen candles etc. On my skin, it develops a slightly smoky note, like the clothes of a lifelong smoker after going through the wash. This has very little staying power, which, alas, is pretty common with BPAL+me.

Smells like a crisp white floral. Lily? Quite breezy too -- it seems like it's floating. A very clean, pretty scent. Not overpowering, either. Nice!

(After reading the reviews, I see what people mean about the laundry detergent scent. It does smell like that.)

Dirty reminded me a little of La Belle au Bois Dormant. I think it has a similar pear-y sort of tang to it, although it could be plumeria.

However, I am also really strongly reminded of a laundrette whilst wearing this. It does smell of hot clean sheets taken from the driers.

I'm not sure I like it enough to keep it, it is a little strong and headachy on me, but I imagine it would be very pretty on another person who wears florals better than I do!

In the imp: wet flowers. Interesting, I have no idea what kind of flowers but thankfully they're not jasmine or magnolia which tend to overwhelm me. As odd as this sounds, it's a light floral that smells like those white florals that eat me alive.

On skin: wet flowers and my mom's perfume.

Dry: Aah, finally it smells like fresh laundry/"linen" scented air spray and not florals. Very pretty, but unfortunately not for me. I think I'll keep it around a bit longer to see if I can layer it with anything else....

Edited by circe_blue

since this scent is so incredibly popular, i thought there was a good chance it would be one of the few florals that would agree with me - alas, no luck.

i agree with the "clean laundry" verdict except in my case, it smells like dryer sheets - a little too clean, a little to strong, a little too fragrant. i love dryer sheets but the scent gets diffused through laundry and Dirty just gets more and more intense on me as it flowers.

I would say - if this were a laundry spray or room scent, I'd love it, but I can't wear it. :P

I received this as a very generous frimp from Forspecial Plate. Thanks so much! I've been dying to try this one.

In the imp: This is very fresh and clean smelling. I too get the smell of Plumeria in there. Which I only recognize because I used to have a huge Plumeria candle, that I burned constantly. So this is a good sign, provided it doesn't turn into the tortured floral mess that sometimes happens with my chemistry.

On the skin, wet: The plumeria fades a bit upon contact and the fresh laundry smell really comes forward. I get laundry soap and sun dried clothing from this. Gorgeous. This is just such a fresh, clean and beautiful scent. I may like it even better than Aizen-Myoo (which is my signature scent at the moment). I still get the plumeria, and it blends in so beautifully. What an unexpected surprise to find that here.

On the skin, dry: Although this is a light scent it is also a very strong scent, which I really like. My nose is glued to my wrist. Beth I don't know how you do it, but thank you. This is the most recent in a series of scents that has proven to me that even non perfume lovers like myself can find a home (and plenty of lovely scents) with BPAL.

Final Analysis: Big bottle. Definitely a big, big bottle. Fantastic.

n the bottle: A strong whiff of some delicate flower.

On me: Definitely the lightest, crispest thing I've smelled from BPAL. Simple, fresh, even a bit herbal. Soothing. The reason it reminds me of freshly laundered sheets is because we fragrance our sheets, but it's still very clean and nice.

Clean and fresh, definitely linen-ish and softly sweet. A nice scent to wear when you want to smell good but not attention-getting- perfect for the workplace, for example. The scent softens a bit within the hour but doesn't fade until several hours later, on me. I've never worn a linen scent before, and was surprised by how much I like this one!

This is such a smooth, clean scent.

I smell light colored florals as well as freshly washed linen. Very very comforting to me in a way. While it does smell like freshly washed laundry, if this is like laundry detergent, it's got to be the lightest most lovely laundry detergent EVER.

I'll definitely keep the imp but I'm unsure of a bottle yet.

Plumeria. Definitely Plumeria. I don't know if I like that or not. I was hoping it would be more of an ozone sort of scent. It is very light and breezy and clean smelling though. It's pleasant, I'm just not sure it's for me...

In the imp, this was a clean and almost cold scent.

On me, all I smelled was flowers. I can't tell any of them apart, but I noticed that other reviewers have sniffed plumeria and sweet pea, and both of those go overwhemingly flower-y on me, so it's not surprising that all I got were flowers and flowers and nothing else.

It's a very pretty scent, but it's not my thing at all.

"Ironic" is one of those fantatstic words that everyone wants to use all the time, but in fact its definition is so narrow you're almost always incorrect when you use it.

But Dirty IS Ironic. True verbal irony, raised to the level of situational irony if someone actually walks up to you and tells you that you smell dirty when you're wearing it.

It smells divine...like I just pulled my clothes out of the dryer and washed my hair. My mom was coming to my house today, so I had to run around like a crazy person cleaning up, and right when I had everything in order and was ready to jump in the shower, she showed up early. So I doused myself in Dirty and smelled as clean as my kitchen counters.

I LOVE this one...I'm almost afraid if I get a bottle of it I'll use it as a "shortcut" more often. :P

A clean laundry scent. It was okay to sniff in the bottle, though as other reviewers have pointed out, Dirty smells like something you can find at a department store perfume counter. Unfortunately, Dirty goes to strong dryer sheets on me. I wouldn't mind my linens smelling that way, but I prefer more organic scents on my skin.

Edited by joojifish

Bottle: crisp linen, dead on, with a hint of citrus.

Wet: the same, line-dried linen.

Dry: a light citrus and very light floral over the linen that gives the affect of a vase of fresh-cut soft blooms of early spring next to a big featherbed with fresh linens warmed by the sun.

Later: it's faded to almost nothing...but it was lovely while it lasted...

In the bottle: white floral, very little cotton smell. No plumeria, which made me sad.

wet: bright white floral, wth linen starting to peek out.

Dry: here it is! Clean linen predominates, with underlying floral that has softened to a beautiful accessory note. I don't get the chemicall-ly detergent smell at all (I despise Tide and the like); this is perfect. Just a touch sweet and subtle.

Ooh, I smell like freshly washed sheets! A wonderfully clear, crisp, CLEAN scent. No wonder my little sister wanted a bottle for Christmas. I think I may have to snag one up for myself too. < nods >