Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Scylla

Dirty

dirty.jpg

A wonderful antidote to an all-nighter oozing with drunken, addled perversion and debauchery. A fresh, crisp white linen scent: perfectly clean, perfectly breezy.

Byrdie said it best, reminds me of the smell of shampoo. It's much nicer than Estee Lauder's Linen scent, it's a bit unique, too. I detect white musk here but it is tempered with a flowery smell and it strikes a "just right" note of summer cooling, of rationality. I would say, plot it in your overnight bag when you motor off to The Hamptons, don't forget it on your next sojourn to Monte Carlo, and dab yourself before your next important meeting with The Boss.

By itself, it's not to my taste. Remember, taste is all-subjective. However, it is dynamite with the Vanille that Chupa mentioned and gives me a ring for Antique Lace, too. Thank you, Chupa.

I can truely say that I can see how some people would flip over this one, though. Even though I am not going to be buying a bottle soon, I will be sure to have an imp on hand for a variety of reasons.

I recently got this in a swap from a fellow forumite.

First sniff from bottle: Pele, is that you, but lighter? (In fact, I had to get out my bottle of Pele and compare.) But no, it's a little different. However, I think if you like one, you'd like the other.

Imagine Pele without the tropical tanginess of what I think it Pikaki, and throw in a linen scent instead. It smells like my mom washed the sheets with Island Breeze Gain and hung them outside to dry in the sunshine. But it's not nearly as knock-you-over as Island Breeze Gain, so please don't let me turn you off by saying that.

Wearing: Wow, Beth is a genius. I need bottles and bottles of this! :P She really has captured the smell of summer breezes and sunshine that only clean sheets hung out to dry seem to hold. Oh wow, this is pretty. And perfect for hot muggy days when all you long for is to go home and take a cool shower.

This will also be perfect this winter when it's too rainy or too cold to hang clothes out to dry and I miss that summery scent when I get into bed at night. :D

Edited to add that after a day wearing this, most of it spent outside, I can still smell the lovely clean smell, so it can take some abuse. Also, a faint bubble-gum note has popped out to join the sunshine-on-sheets scent. Kind of a hubba-bubba (do they still make that stuff?) or Extra bubble-gum kinda smell. I don't like wearing bubble gum scents but this doesn't bother me. It's fruity and light. Quite lovely. :D

Edited by Vicious Mistress

See now, this is a scent I wouldn't have bought for myself, but I got an imp of it in my last order and HOLY FREAKING MOLEY it is delicious!! So clean and soothing and bright with a hint of sweet. There's something very similar to Dirty and Roadhouse, but heck if I know what it is. I need a bottle of this..... Yesterday!! :P

In bottle: very clean but not sharp; like laundry

Wet: like laundry, a little green in the background, like fresh-cut grass, not sweet

Dry: very green with an earthy scent underneath; I really like it. I'm going to try it out with my oil burners.

So opposite of what I thought this would be. Very nice white floral. Very delicate i might add. I really like it, but I dont know if it is big bottle worthy in my book. Very glad to have tried it.

Dirty is a lovely, light, clean scent. If I had to describe it in one word, it would be "fresh." It went on fresh and didn't really morph at all over time. What you sniff is what you get. the thing that surprised me most about it, though, was how long it lasted. I put two wand swipes on at 9 in the morning and could still smell it at dinner time, which is incredible for a light scent on me.

Edited by elphaba

at first: white flowers.

on: laundry detergent-y, but with some soft, wet, white flowers in the background. interesting.

1.5 hours later: very, very soft. there's almost a sweetness here, but not quite. very light and fresh, and not soapy.

5 hours later: very soft. powdery. nice.

overall: i have a few fresh, clean scents at the moment, but i might end up buying this if i ever get sick of them. just a nice scent.

For about ten minutes it smells like dryer sheets. Then it settles into a wonderful "skin scent:" not like perfume, but like my own skin smells better than normal. It's crisp and cool, with no notes I recognize except that lineny freshness. Sadly, it fades really fast.

I don't wear this as often as I should because the times when it's appropriate I tend to reach for Embalming Fluid. But it's good for times that I want something really light and fresh, which no one but me will even know is there.

Ranking: "love"

Edited by DarcyPennell

The best-smelling shampoo ever, mostly. Or dryer sheets, sort of. Bright bright whiteness and florals. Beautiful, but not really me. Fades pretty quick after the first hour.

This smells almost exactly like my boyfriend just after he puts on clean clothes fresh from the dryer...clean, clean, clean. And warm. The linen note is exactly right, and I assume there's some ozone and very light floral of some sort, though I'd be hard-pressed to guess what it might be.

Though this is arguably a perfect neutral scent, this is actually just a shade too masculine for me. It's that ozone quality, it just doesn't work on my skin the way it does on others.

HOWEVER...I wore this along with a vanilla body lotion on my legs, and sitting in the car, I got the waft from both and deargodsopretty!! I think other people have suggested that a dab of Dirty with a vanilla single note is the closest thing to Antique Lace, and if so, damn am I sorry I missed that one.

Conclusion - I won't be getting a bottle of this, but I think I will always keep an imp on hand to mix up with some vanilla.

In bottle: a touch of light white florals, and that "Clean Linen" fragrance you get in candles and some bath and beauty products.

On and Dry: Exactly the same as wet, this is a very clean and light fragrance, but to me I'm sorry - dryer fabric softener sheets.

Swap pile, to someone clean and happy!

I'm still undecided on this scent. On me it was clean and sweet -- nothing like the astringent, ozone-heavy clean scents I tend to prefer. There was definitely a laundry aspect to this (I'd buy any fabric softener that smelled like Dirty!), but again, sweet than the average bottle of Downy.

It was less a floral sweetness, and more an almost juicy sweetness, like really sweet, watery melon. The only things that hold me back from loving it whole-heartedly are a reservation about that sweetness-versus-ozone, and the fact that it doesn't last long or have much throw on me. I just swapped my imp away, though, so I'll see how much I miss it to decide on getting a bottle. :P

Got this lovely little imp from a lovely forumite, lushlovely! Thanks, hon!

This smells like a potent version of The Dormouse to me: all fresh peony. I love it! It doesn't have the sharp edge of tea as in the Dormouse, but it is definately bright and clean smelling.

This is going on my favorites list and I want 10 mls of it! :P

In the imp: Sweet-tart mixed with laundry detergent (the fresh smelling kind—not the soapy kind). Don't know that I'd want to eat that combo, but the smell is is both comforting and refreshing.

Wet: It still smells like candy (like many of the fresh scents seem to turn to eventually). Not unappealing, just not wowed (like I am with Lolita).

Drydown: Wore off within a few hours so that I couldn't smell anything (nor could the handful of friends I asked to take a whiff of me). A nice scent, but I'd rather have something that stuck around longer.

This is sweet but clean? Not sweet enough to be sticky, but just sweet enough. It brings to mind freshly laundered white sheets being hung on the line in a backyard of freshly cut grass in midspring.

I'm not sure if it's something I'd regularly wear, but I'm glad the Lab sent it as a frimp because it's not that was on my wishlist. :P

I remember liking Estee Lauder's White Linen once upon a time when I wore perfume, so I am really interested in trying this one out!

Sniffing the imp: Yes, this is very clean! It smells like the scented “outdoor-fresh “ dryer sheets that I never buy, as I don’t want my laundry smelling like them! It is a far too chemical smell. :P

Wet on wrist: Plumeria! Sprayed on a chemically scented dryer sheet!

Dry: Back to the "outdoor-fresh" dryer sheets. No, I don’t like this. It just smells like a chemical laundry cleaner to me, and I hate those. It is stuffing up my sinuses. That sure wouldn't help after a night of debauchery, either! I rarely drink any alcohol as it affects my sinuses so badly. A definite one to swap!

Wet this is very sweet- freesia maybe or some other purple flower. When first applied this is crisp, clean and with a bit of berry. It really does smell like clean laundry. I think there might be lilac and/or peach too. After about 30 minutes this becomes a very sweet floral- rose or sweetpea? It reminds me of springtime. This is a light, white floral and has the same fruity/sweet quality of Fae and Hymn. It fades after only a couple of hours on me. This one is too sweet for me so I'll probably swap it.

I cannot believe I haven't reviewed this yet.

In The Bottle: Mmmm wonderous detergenty smell. Smells like thedetergent my Mom used to use. Funny enough I got so many compliments on the way I smelled when I was younger from women when the only scent on my was "Tide". Good memories, good times.

Wet on Skin: Very fresh scent soft like clothes drying on a clothesline reminiscent of my childhood in Encinitas, CA (we had clotheslines and I used to run between them and pretend I was a pirate).

Drydown: Very calming and clean smell. I have gotten several compliments from men on this. I like it a lot for Summer especially.

Verdict: Beth has done it again. :P

This is soft and pretty. I don't necessarily get a laundry type smell, but I get a very crisp not overbearing flora. I really have to sniff hard to smell it on myself, so I think it would be perfect for those who are looking for a light, uncomplicated scent. Did I meantion that it was pretty? It really is. There are no jagged edges to this one, no jarring spice, just smooth, light and simple goodness.

First sniff: A soft, bland, clean scent.

Wearing: It’s a bit of a laundry scent, but it’s very refreshing and comforting. It’s very light – not much of an aura. I put this on again before going to bed – it grew on me that much over the course of the day. It’s easily overlooked, I think; I know I almost did. It’s not a flashy scent, it’s not going to make anyone sniff me and growl, but it’s wonderfully gentle and soothing.

Yep, I get laundry from this too. That's pretty much it. I like it - nice and fresh. I'll certainly keep the imp around, but I don't think it'll move up to big bottle.

ooooo. strange.

I have always hated florally smells but i actually like this.

It teases me into dancing with little flowers draped in tiny cotton ballet dresses .

twirl twirl.

As i lay on a bed of flower petals the wind gently whips the clouds into swirls of washing lines and white linen sheets.

I am still stunned i like this scent as i was convinced i would hate it.

Its by no means my fave , that place is reserved for gingerbread poppet and samhain. However on a spring day this would be perfect.

My 8 year old daughter loves it too.

A fabby scent for kids.

Penance said it best...this is the scent of fresh, clean linen drying in the summer sun captured in a bottle.

This is fresh, clean, and really incredible smelling.

There isn't much more I can say about this. Dirty gets 5 stars! :P

This smells like clean, soft blankets, the kind you can bury your head into. Sun-dried laundry has a distinctive outdoors-y smell. For one, it's not quite so sweet, and the clothes actually do smell dry and sligthly stiff. Dirty smells like super, super soft and snuggly thick blankets that were dried with your favorite fabric softener (the fabric softener's has cotton in its name). I can pick up a bit of plumeria, so while I really love what it evokes and how it smells, the plumeria makes it smell a bit too "thick" than I like. However, when it settles into my skin, I smell as if I've been thrown in the dryer and I'm super soft and snuggly (never mind how painful that would be, just pretend I emerge good as new). I'm not sure if this is so great for a body perfume, but it's still wonderful for what it evokes.