Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Scylla

Dirty

A wonderful antidote to an all-nighter oozing with drunken, addled perversion and debauchery. A fresh, crisp white linen scent: perfectly clean, perfectly breezy.

This smells exactly like Dawn dish soap on me. Fortunately, it fades very quickly.

In the bottle: it reminds me of very freshly washed French linens that have been left to dry in the sun and the breeze. it's also inexplicably juicy.

On my skin: it's less strong on my skin than it is on the bottle. still fresh linens and some sort of juiciness that I can't put my finger on. it's sweetly clean, makes me want to burrow my nose in it and just breathe deeply.

Last thoughts: It smells cheerful and spring-like. They should've named this one "optimistic". :wub2:

Edited by frecklestars

I'm really sad, because I absolutely loved this in the imp. I'm a big fan of cotton scents and when I tested it before, it was lovely linen.

I got a bottle of it in my last order and tested it today, and all I could smell was vinegar. :( Really strong vinegar!

I'll have to try it again later. Might be a bad chemistry day. *hopes*

Sniffed: Ozone-aquatic with a sugary sweetness.

On skin: Dirty is an airy aquatic (if that is at all possible!), a mixture of humid ozone and what I can only call "sugar water", with a sparkle of citrus. I suspect this sugary aquatic note is a floral bouquet that I don't recognize; indeed, I doubt I've encountered it in other BPAL blends. Dirty somewhat resembles Lightning (which is my "gold standard" for pure ozone), but I think its sweetness is more akin to Sea Of Glass or Archangel Winter, which are more snowy/slushy versions. It's a pretty, happy scent: light, clear and watery, simple, and just right in sweetness. Colour impression is clear water with a bluish tinge. It doesn't occur this time, but on a previous skin test I noticed a sour-ish citrus note threatening to emerge. Hopefully that doesn't come back...

Verdict: I haven't found anything that's quite like Dirty -- it's very pretty and pleasing in its simplicity! Not bottle-worthy, but I'm hanging on to my imp.

Can't believe I've never reviewed this considering how long I've had it!

Imp: Freesia and lily and plumeria and clean white florals combined with the barest prettiest lightest whitest musk! There's a hint of sheets-dried-in-the-sunshine too, although I have to say the linen note is a lot less strong than in, say, White Rabbit or some of the other "fabric" blends. Even though it's not really my normal sort of scent it's hard not to like Dirty. It's just so cheerful and friendly!

Wet: On me at first it's tart sweet florals, almost like a berry smell without the 'red' or 'black' fruit scent, if that makes sense. Orchids on top for sure, in all their wonderful translucent glory. And maybe somewhere in the back just the tiniest touch of ozone? Maybe some white tea in the background. It's astringent and yet still pretty at the same time. It kinda smells like drying out by the pool in your bathing suit on a hot summery day-- pool water and sunshine, flowers and breezes and a little bit of soap from your towel. And that is absolutely a compliment.

Dry: Dirty stays pretty true throughout on me, a lovely breezy cottony florally... goodness. This truly is a perfect scent for when you're having a bad day or you don't feel like wearing perfume or when you just want to smell carefree. Snuggly and warm and comforting while simultaneously being fresh. I :wub: it!

My first ever BPAL purchase! I bought this at Knows Perfume in Seattle because I loved the smell before I read any of the reviews or catalog description of it - in the bottle, it initially smelled to me like sweet starfruit and flowers (possibly plumeria?), with an emphasis on the flowers. On my skin, wet and dry the tanginess of the fruity smell in the background goes away and gives way to the plumeria. After reading the description that this is meant to smell like fresh, clean linens and such, I can somewhat pick it up - it reminds me of my favorite floral fabric softeners as smelled on the clean clothes - just crisp, fresh and clean smelling, very pretty. I would probably love to wear this all the time in the spring, especially on the days when the sun breaks after a big rain.

ITImp: It smells a bit light fresh laundry detergent with a bit of floral and something crisp about it.

Wet: Wow, it warms up on my skin instantly so it's not so detergent-y. It seems to have a bit for fruitiness with floral notes(orchid perhaps) - very pretty.

Dry: It turns a little soapy, but with strong floral. I wish it hadn't dried own like it had, but it's an okay scent if I'd like to smell like fresh laundry.

I like this scent both wet and dry. Not sure if I like it enough to wear as a perfume but I would def try it as a room scent and a scent locket scent. I will update with more info and other's opinions.

Edited by archergrl

This was a lab frimp. It smells like detergent in the imp and when I put it on, the smell reminds me of bubble bath. Obviously that means it's a clean scent, and I find it pleasant enough. I don't get linen from Dirty at all, but on the two occasions I've tested this, it just happened to be close to bedtime so I can report that it's a pretty scent to wear at bedtime. It would probably make a great linen spray. :) My colour impression is clear blue-violet.

Even though it's pleasant and hasn't give me a headache on either testing, I'm probably not going to wear it except as a nice-smelling thing to put on before I go to sleep. Scents on the warm to spicy end of the spectrum are much more my thing.

3/5

Edited by boomtownrat

It's actually quite pretty, in the way Embalming fluid is. However, it's not for me, but I still find it pleasant.

In the imp: Sweet and pretty, white florals, white musk, a hint of citrus.

Wet: The citrus amps a little. Maybe tangerine? It's very sugary and sweet, a little ozone that reminds me of Ether.

Dry: Sweet and just a little naughty. Sadly, I think this scent is a bit young for me, but I would have loved it in my late teens and early twenties.

In the imp: A clean, melony smell.

Wet: Oddly floral - a bit like poppy, actually - with melon.

Dry: A rather saccharine floral-melon mix. Not at all soapy, ironically.

In imp: just as described. This is a perfectly clean, freshly breezy smell, faint white/yellow flowers in the distance, with a hint of bright lemon.

Wet on skin: clean, slightly floral, bright and summery. There might be a hint of mint somewhere, very faint, just a touch cool, that gives this a breezy feel. Lovely, fresh, and very refreshing.

Dry: no change from the wet phase: bright, almost minty, breezy and clean floral. I immediately thought that this would be great in soap, although it's not particularly "soapy"--it just gives you that sense of fresh cleanliness. I also made a note back then that I liked this better than Embalming Fluid as a scent, likely because this wasn't as freshly-laundered-sheets as that one was, though this description actually says linen!

Verdict: not as perfume, but definitely a very lovely scent with light throw.

I can't believe I've never reviewed this. Dirty's been a favorite of mine for a long, long time. It smalls like B&BW Plumeria and white sheets on the clothesline and a so-green-it-can't-be-real lawn. To me, Dirty is a close cousin to The Dormouse; they both have a fresh and breezy feeling, but where the Dormouse is a pale pink, Dirty is fuschia. Love it.

:::DIRTY:::

Dirty was an immediate hit with the first snift. While it is something of a challenge not to become rabidly over stimulated upon seeing an ocean of 5 ml. bottles at some gathering of the souls like, say, Bat’s Day Dirty was one of those fragrances that made it impossible not to be rooted to the spot. Even the Wife, stalwart objector to the vast majority of things scented (perfumed, deodorizers, air-fresheners, room sprays, potpourri, colognes, body talc, and ESPECIALLY essential oils), became immediately intrigued and smitten with Dirty. Hope is a beautiful thing! The immediate purchase was suddenly, acceptably, a thing of dire urgency.

From the Bottle: No delirament would be adequate to describe the blessed out feeling that accompanies the very first waft. There is a distinct impression a large picture window paned entirely in glass that is the trembliest shade of pale and electrified blue. Dirty is so reinvigorating and buoyant that it would be tempting to compare it to merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily bobbing along, downstream, in some wide and lazy river that could only be painted by the likes of Maxfield Parrish.

Plumeria isn’t the most familiar of notes, but there is definitely a floral presence in this. The Ozonic is also unapologetically splendid. Essentially, this bottle contains all of the things most dazzling and succulent that makes the halcyon days of high summer; Here be tall and radiant grasses waving hypnotically in a zephyr’s wake which also happens to make those angelically white and line-dried linens flutter, sparklingly blue and bracing water, fantastically ripe blooms of every description, and the slightest kiss from a perfectly chilled melon.Yup… This stuff is pretty rad.

On the Skin: Same as above only more so. If anything the Ozone amps the most; this is like being enveloped in a perfect sphere of la-dee-dah. Being a character is some magically animated production that is on par with the Disney masterpieces of yore would probably be akin to what this is like.This is very well-lit… cue waterfalls, armonica and harp.

There is a distinct sense of wonder and well-being that accompanies the wearing of Dirty. This is like breathing in ultraviolet light. As it dries Dirty softens, sweetens, and glows. While it is doubtful that there are any Violets in this, something maddeningly familiar starts hovering at the periphery about thirty minutes after putting it on… the closest accessible thing that comes to mind is the sensation had about five minutes after eating one of those Choward’s Violet Mints.

Dirty is an olfactory standing ovation equally suited for Him or Her. 5 out of 5.

Origin: Frimp from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I have managed not to sniff this GC scent even after years of BPALing because I saw the name and assumed it was one of the graveyard/earth/dirt scents I don't care for, without once reading the description. Silly me.

In the Imp: Clean linen-y white florals. Very fresh.

Wet: A sweetness joins the fray, making me think a little of my beloved wisteria.

Drydown: Hm. There would seem to be the faintest trace of rose in this, as a skanky green undertone has developed. Pity, because it's just enough to bother me.

Verdict: This one is off to the swap/sell pile.

In the imp: damp, sharp green, like fresh-mown lawn.

Wet: ... peaches? And freshly-cut grass.

Dry: I'm still predominantly getting freshly-cut grass, with a side order of HOLY SHIT INDUSTRIAL LAUNDRY, and just a whiff of sweet sunwarmed stone fruit lurking around the edges; it morphs into a more linen-y scent within minutes. Unfortunately it seems to give me hayfever, so much as I'm endeared by it this is one for the swaps pile for me :-(

I'll be quite honest I don't think I've ever owned anything made of linen in my life, but this scent so clearly reminds me of helping my mother and laundry outdoors in the summer. Because of my allergies we always had to use fragrance free dye free detergents so our laundry always had a crisp slightly floral scent because of my mother's extensive flower garden.:wub2: This is that scent exactly and is absolutely perfect for summer. For that matter this would be perfect for those days when you have a cold or just feel yucky and take a hot shower put a little of this on and climb into bed. I'd definitely would like to add this to my list of would always like to have a bottle on hand.

IN THE BOTTLE: Light and slightly floral. It definitely smells like fabric softener and crisp white bed sheets.

WET: I kind of get a freesia thing going... but on the whole it just smells like fabric softener and dryer sheets. I'm brought back to laundry day at my college dorm, when you'd have an entire clothes hamper full of laundry to wash so you'd bring down your homework and spend the whole day surrounded by washers and dryers.

DRY: It dries almost febreezy on me. The crisp smell of fabric has left the building, and all that is left is smelling like a laundrimat. This is not the scent for me...

- - - -

This was another freebie that I got with my order and thank gods for that. I love the smell of fresh laundry and clean sheets, but this gets way too febreezy on me. I want to smell clean, not like I was too lazy to take a real shower so I sprayed fabric softener on myself (aka the poor girl's version of AXE). I'm sure it smells great on others, but for me it's a dud.

To repeat myself from another topic...

Dirty smells so dang good! You devilish geniuses and your blasted frimps! I just added a bottle of this to my "BUY ALL THE BOTTLES!" list

Bottle: Laundry detergent

Wet: Crisp florals and fabric softener.

Dry: This end up transforming into a soft powdery floral on my. The throws offer an occasional crisp note to it, like...fresh apples? Reminiscent notes of Pomona. Love this!

This is beautiful. Primarily it smells fresh and clean, with a teeny bit of sweet flowers and water. Linens seem to be working well on me so far.

Frimp from the lab!

In the Imp: Very clean, fresh and airy. Smells a lot like shampoo, but there's something kinda addictive about it..

Wet: Shampoo. Hoping it changes.

Drydown: Yup, that's shampoo alright.

Verdict: This is not unpleasant, but I don't think I want to smell like shampoo. Maybe this would be a good one to try in my hair? Haha. My mum seems to like this though, I'll let her have the imp. Glad I got to try it, but not for me.

1.5/5

Ordered and imp of this recently to try out as I've enjoyed a few other of the "Clean" Scents from Bpal-

Out of the bottle: Sweet and clean, pears and plumeria come to mind.

When first applied/wet: Fruity and floral but a bit soapy as others had mentioned. I couldn't place what this reminded me of at first but it was so familiar.

Dry: I was finally able to place it, it reminded me of the fruity body sprays I used to use as a teen from Bath and Bodyworks! As it faded during the day the fruitiness dropped out and I started to get more of the clean linen but it still smelled a bit soapy to me.

I keep going back and forth on how I feel about this one, every once and a while I get a whiff of my self and like it, but there is still something about it i'm finding off putting.

To soapy? To sweet?

I'll try this one at least a few more times from the imp to see if it grows on me but most likely wont order a full bottle as I much prefer Coraline Jones or There's Water Here (OLLA) when I'm looking for a clean scent.

I love Dirty as a scent on my sheets. It's not a scent I want on my body all day, but I do love to put a bit on a dry washcloth and toss that washcloth into the dryer with my linens. Getting into a freshly made bed with linens that smell lightly of Dirty is a gooooood night.