Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Scylla

Dirty

A wonderful antidote to an all-nighter oozing with drunken, addled perversion and debauchery. A fresh, crisp white linen scent: perfectly clean, perfectly breezy.

Imp: It’s a linen note. A very fresh scent, just like the description.

Wet: This is very linen. It’s also got something almost citrus-y to my nose? I’m getting an edge of lemon-fresh scent.

Dry: The citrus-whatever-it-is begins to mingle with the linen and form a delicious, bright scent. I love this type of fresh scent!

I may need to eventually get a bottle of this for nice, warm summer days.

In the imp is a soft lemony fresh scent. I'm looking forward to this. I've heard good things about BPAL's linen scent.

Wet is it what it is. Freshly laundered linens, soft breezes, and the barest hint of citrus (lemon). It is clean, soft, and simple. I can see this being easy on the senses after a night of too much fun and drinking. Or wonderful also for those sticky hot summer days where you want to smell good, but really don't want anything weighing you down.

Keeping the imp, possibly getting another.

Another of those deceptively simple blends. On the surface, there's not much going on: laundry softener, freshly washed linen drying in a warm summer breeze. Dirty is fresh, straightforward, uncomplicated.

And yet... there is a lot of artistry to this scent. It is incredibly well-balanced and retains it happy, carefree, luminous feel throughout every single phase of its evolution. You know how many of these so-called "light, fresh" scents actually veer into piercing and/or overpowering territory, to the point where they become headache-inducing or make you feel a bit queasy? There is none of that here.

As Dirty dries down, the laundry soap notes recede in the background, and are replaced with an invigorating twist of citrus, balanced by the barest hint of herbalness.

This is a gorgeous blend well worth trying even if, like myself, you're not a fresh scent aficionado. You may be very pleasantly surprised!

Well, this was a little disappointing for me. There's a crispness to this scent that almost goes soapy on me. Very clean smelling. And a little cool.

I bought this scent from the sales thread after recommendations, in hopes that I could wear it in this humid weather. In the imp, I get a whiff of fresh laundry (slightly floral). But on my skin, all I get is the stench of withered flowers from start to finish. I didn't expect to be blown away since I don't like clean-smelling scents. I only got it to try something new. I just don't understand how washed linen can end up smelling like withered flowers. :peep: It's beyond me. Well, from now on I'll know not to venture into this category of oils.

EDIT: Alright, that must've been a bad day. I decided to give it another chance today and it still started off as laundry soap and morphed into Clairol Herbal Essences from the 90s, heh. Very fresh and quite nice because I used to love the Herbal Essences range. But really, I wish this blend were a shampoo rather than a perfume oil.

Edited by symphonyinsilence

I'm getting the linen/laundry smell, I'm also getting a floral from this...and...something in here reminds me off Fairy Market. Yum! It's like it's in the same family. There must be a sort of grassyness somewhere.

It's one of those perfumes that when it wafts around you and you get an unexpected blast it's like..."OOooh I smell lovely". Had a few compliments too.

It's fresh...light..and I want a bottle now!

Clean lemon citrus and oh so fresh. The underlying sweetness is very refreshing and I smell so light and airy.

This reminds me of a hot summer.

I should be driving an old Mustang convertible (with the top down) the wind blowing through my long hair, the radio blasting Bon Jovi’s “Summertime” and wearing this scent.

Instead I’m at work and it’s winter.

*sigh* but I can close my eyes, smell this scent and let my imagination take me there.

Lovely, clean, and refreshing. It's very much clean laundry and a cool breeze to me. I don't really get the lemon that other people mention (though I think the lemon may have been responsible for the few moments early on when it threatened to go a little sticky sweet on me before calming back down again) - really, this is just a clean cotton-y linen scent, like laundry drying on a clotheline on a breezy, sunny day.

I'm really going to need a bottle of this!

In imp: Something floral (probably the plumeria everyone's talking about). I also smell something similar to White Rabbit which must be the linen, and which is not what I thought linen would smell like. Oh well, it's still very nice.

On skin: Wonderfully clear and light, while still managing to be warm (I think someone else said that too, though). Unfortunately only lasts 2 hours on me.

I really like this one and I think it will grow on me even more. It's a great everyday/daytime scent, especially for summer. I will definitely use up the imp, and it may even be bottle-worthy.

In the imp, I'm getting a nice crisp linen note, smells like laundry drying on a line. On my skin, it's pretty much the same. Not quite sure how I feel about it, we'll see what the drydown does. Ends up being a bit too intensely linen for me, so I'm going to pass on this one. Swaps/sales.

Edited by Venneh

In many ways exactly what you'd expect and not what I expected at all. I was hoping to catch more of the linen, cotton-y scent, but instead it just smells like detergent. Very clean and nice and all, but nothing I'd wear. It does capture the scent of fresh laundry quite well, though.

It smells like I just got out of the shower, the barely there scent of clean white dew and linen. I recognize that note from Antique Lace. It stays very close to the skin, hardly any throw but it's very comforting as well. I could see this layering well with any vanilla note (or strong vanilla base) to invoke the same feeling. This one is really nice, and has a very unisex feeling.

Expectations: I figured I'd like this, but just in an "its ok" way.

Imp: Yep, it's clean and nice

On: It blooms. No floral here, but breezes and sunshine with something sweet and almost fruity or candyish. Not much throw, just really, really clean and pretty.

Strikes me as more feminine than unisex.

I really like it and need to consider a bottle.

I love this scent! It's perfectly clean and happy. I do smell something floral in there, but I'm not sure what, though I've heard from friends that it's either rose or lily of the valley. If only my skin didn't eat scents.

Dirty

This isn't a clean linen scent at all, to my nose. It's very sweet and cloying. I think what I'm smelling is plumeria. It's alright, but it doesn't thrill me. I feel like I've smelt it before.

2.5 out of 5

In the bottle - Mmm, linen with a hint of vanilla and some white florals. Plumeria? Baby's Breath? Something of that variety. Very clean and breezy.

Wet - More floral now and less vanilla.

Drying - I'm nearly positive the floral note is plumera. It's got that slightly soapy touch I'm used to from that note. The linen and the vanilla have backed way the heck off, the vanilla especially. Here's hoping the floral backs off to let the linen back out, since that's the major draw here for me.

Dry (2 hours) - Light and clean. The floral has back off, so the soap has also faded to a large extent. The linen is light, crisp and divine. This is very much the scent of fresh laundry left out in the sun.

Overall - It is a delightful scent, but I think I prefer the more robust scent of White Rabbit. This is a "doesn't smell like I'm wearing perfume, but I smell good" type scent, where as I like to smell like I'm wearing perfume. I would very much suggest it to anyone who is sensitive to scents, but who wants to smell pretty.

in the bottle: Okay, I have to say it: dryer sheets. It makes me think of fabric softener or dryer sheets; it's what warm, clean clothes used to smell like straight out of the dryer before I started going with unscented laundry products. Floral, but it's that light, breezy, not-obnoxiously-floral floral that definitely puts one in mind of laundry. As a matter of fact, I'm having trouble moving past the laundry connotations as some presence at the back of my brain is now reminding me insistently that I'm behind on laundry and need to start working on that NOW!

I can't pick apart the notes. All I can really think is floral. Actually, this puts me in mind of a kind of jasmine. A little sharp. This could give me a headache, I think.

on wet: Exactly the same.

drydown: More rounded now, not so stabbing-me-repeatedly-with-flowers. Actually, even more like laundry products now than before.

one hour later: I'm not interested in leaving this on for an hour.

end of day: Definitely not interested in leaving it on all day.

compared to official description: It really does have a "clean" feeling, but I know that's because of the whole "mmmm... fresh, clean laundry" connection. Psychologically, there's nothing quite like pulling warm clothes out of the dryer and draping them on yourself -- for me it's an instant mood lifter. Not because of the smell, but because of the feeling of clean and fresh. It's an enduring emotional scent connection for me, though I haven't used scented laundry products in years. This is a great scent for someone who wants to give themselves an instant hit of "fresh and clean".

notes: To be frank, I stopped using scented detergents and dryer sheets (never used fabric softener) because I grew weary of the types of scents that are used for that category of product. It's interesting to see the connection between this scent and those things, but I in no way want to smell like this myself.

Edited by Graphica

IMP: Floral laundry detergent. It reminds me of clean clothes drying in the sun.

WET: Buttery and creamy floral, very heavy.

DRY: Sadly I had to wash it off after about fifteen minutes because it was making me a bit nauseated.

I am sad because I had high hopes for Dirty, as I find the scent of clean linen lovely.

Obviously I do not care about smelling like butter, especially because this was supposed to be a fresh summer oil, so off to the swap pile.

On wet: It starts out being very fresh and clean-smelling.

Drydown: Oh no, and I was so hoping this was going to work as another lightweight summer scent. This turns to laundry detergent and baking soda on me. Still clean, yes, but overwhelmingly soapy on me. Not going to work.

Provenance: Frimp (a few months over one year old, that I'm getting around to reviewing)

Judgment: Not for me. I can sort of get the "linen" note if I think about it - like hot detergent-y laundry - but "wet" rather than dry. In any case, it's just toooooo sweet and clear.

Freshly laundered cotton sheets and linens, sun-dried in a garden. White but not sharp scent. Faintly dryer-sheets. I don't do "clean" scents, so off to the swaps pile this goes.

Wet: clean linen, touch of melon? I totally smell a light melon mixed with maybe moonflower or wisteria or sweetpea.. one of those.

Drydown: there's some detergent that my sister is addicted to.. she's loyal to it because of the smell. This is very similar. Bouncy clean and sunshiney. I still get the melon smell.

OK so I tried this on a hangover. It helps with that crudy, blood feels like molasses and omg what did I do that I don't remember I'll hide in a hole until I feel better feeling. I still prefer a few others to wipe away my sins, but this is good.

First Sniff: A crisp flower, maybe lilac?

Wet: Not as crisp, but definitely a light flowery scent. Clean.

Dry: Very, very light, I can barely smell it after only having it on for 10 minutes!

Throw: Nothing, it just fades too quickly.

My Reaction: It does not smell like any linen I’ve ever had, but it did smell very clean and fresh. However, being a lighter scent, it did not have any staying power on me at all. After it dried, it was pretty much gone. Too bad, as I had high hopes for this one to smell like the Yankee Candle “clean cotton”.

Rating 1-5: 1.5

My temple started throbbing as soon as I put this on. Luckily, it stopped after a couple minutes, but I haven't done a long-wear test to see if it come back or turns into a larger allergic reaction.

Overall, I like this. It is very clean and light with a hint of melon. It doesn't match my personality well, so I don't think I'd get much wear out of it. It also fades very quickly.