Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Fire of Love

A catalytic, potent love oil used to spark (or rekindle) the flame of desire between lovers.

In the Bottle: I can't really pick anything out.

On my wrist: Grass, lemon and cheap incense.

Later: Arggh! Cheap Incense ahoy! I smell like a place that is burning 32759843 sticks of incense all which are a slightly different scent. Oh and mix that with dried on sweat and you have what I smell of. Going to wash off now.

Overall: Erm.... I could cope with the cheap incense to begin with, but when it reared its head properly it was so incredibly horrible.

You know, I don't get civet (and I don't mind civet!) or musk or patchouli or anything out of this except for a very dry somewhat astringent woody note (possibly pine), along with a hefty dose of spices that quickly fade. After an hour or two it's a soft dry woody note.

I like wood so it's not unpleasant, especially when it's in the drydown stage. No idea if it works or not yet since I'm the only one here besides the dog.

Ah, the lab does like to send me frimps of the Voodoo love oils. "Get laid!" they're tellin' me. This one I quite like the smell of. Its very earthy on me, and I'm definitely getting some patchouli, maybe with a hint of high john hiding in there. Something herbal, a medicinal edge, but not in an unpleasant way. And a bit smoky too. I cannot report on its effects, because I do not intend to use it for said effects. But it does smell nice.

In the imp:

Whoa, spicy!

Wet:

Spicy and... woody? Oh, no... this smells like that woody note in Mandrake and Kostnice which (so far at least) is the only note that has totally not worked on me. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd really like to like this one. Okay, the scary wood note seems to have blended down a bit, but I can't say *what* it smells like now. Really as long as it doesn't smell actively bad, it's good by me since I want to use it for its intended effects, not as a perfume.

Dry:

This took forever to dry down on me. It ended up smelling lightly woody, with a warm, somehow creamy undertone. It's very strange. However, I am going to try this out later to see if it works as suggested. It's definitely worth a test run.

Apparently I'm allergic to desire - this made me sneeze like no other!! Never had that happen before, so weird. Patchouli and woods, maybe a little smoke.

In the imp: It's a dark amber brown. Rather a pretty colour, actually. Ooh! There's definitely ginger in there. And something very woody; I'd guess frankincense, because there's a slightly musky spiciness to it as well, but it's too woody for frankincense. Everyone else suggests cedar, and they're probably right. Maybe the spiciness is patchouli, I like it but I'm terrible at recognising it.

On the wrist: I am wreathed in the smell of something spicy-smoky and pleasant. Close to the wrist it's very woody; almost acrid, with the ginger as well. But the throw, ah, the throw! Spicy-sweet, smoky and mellow. This is snuggling up to someone next to a dying fire, late on a summer evening. I begin to think it was foolish of me to try it with my boyfriend on another continent.

One hour later: Smoky wood and animal musk. Freshened by a trace of lemon on the right wrist, of ginger on the left. I think I'll, err, just keep it until my other half gets back...

In the imp I got Herbs! Very strong and very herbal. A little hesitant about the herbs, but we'll see.

On, the herbs kinda take a back seat and I get a little bit of a cleaning smell. Not totally bad, but not great either.

After a while, the slight cleaning scent is gone, and I still get herbs, though the scent has sharpened somewhat. It reminds me of the smell of the herbs that my mum used to put in my orange juice when I was younger. I hated those suckers cause they tasted bad, so this is bringing up a not so good memory.

The strong herbal scent never really goes away :P I guess this one is just not for me

Bottle: Spiciness

Wet: Frankincense and spicy almond. Unfortunately my husband hated this. He said it smelled like pot which he hates. It did not burn him up, it quashed his fire. :P

Drydown: The spiciness faded after a while, but to my husband it was still all pot. To me it was almond and frankincense still.

2.5 outta 5

I got to try this imp through the Civet Evangelism Sniffing Circle courtesy of Cranberry!

in imp: myrrh? patchouli. murky musk. I suppose that murky musk could be civet, but not the civet I know.

on wet: 6:54 - sweat & dirt with myrrh underneath. But this isn't a vetiver dirt I don't think? I don't know what all this is. Dirty patchouli, dirty sweaty musk & myrrh. For all that, it's not a nasty scent.

drydown: 7:05 - um. skunk. and ballsweat. with maybe a hint of patchouli. er... not so nice any more. Give it a bit longer...

7:15 - sweat & dirt - like some man's been working in the garden. And smoking. There's a definite smoke quality now.

7:40 - yeah, still sweat & dirt & smoke. Not a perfume I'd ever choose. And I'm not sure I'd be able to report on its use for its intended effect. :P Ah well, next!

Another frimp from the lab. Also not the type of scent I'd think about buying, but I'm open to new things. :P

IN THE IMP: Woah, very woody! Not what I'd expect from a perfume called "Fire of Love". Also some herbs. Very smoky.

WET: Still smoky wood.

DRY: Same, kinda herby. Ehhh, not my kind of thing.

In the imp: cedar.

Wet: cedar and patchouli.

Drydown: cedar and incense.

Actually, quite nice, but hard for me to tell apart from, say, Intrigue.

ETA: Mindful at last (it takes me a while to catch on to some of this stuff) of the spellcasting possibilites of some of these oils, I grabbed this imp immediately before a :coughs: moment of adult activity with my partner of some seventeen years. It certainly had an effect on me, didn't see much of an effect one way or another on him. Boy it smells nice though.

Edited by Czarina

Double review.

Octopod: Smelled like I'd been wearing a big fur coat all day, one that had been stored on cedar. Distinctly animal, plus cedar and some sort of sweetness. After I washed it off it didn't go away but rather smelled better, which indicates that I should probably dilute this in a carrier oil and then it'll be good. It was pretty overpowering, and I only put on a tiny dab. On the upside, though, if this has civet it means I can wear civet without smelling like pee or halitosis, which would be an interesting thing.

Kalirren: Smells like a horse! So Kalirren typically has a personal smell a bit like a little furry animal. This turns him BIG. Big and stinky. Must be civet; I don’t think there's anything else that smells like a big furry animal with bad breath. And the weirdest part is that he can't smell it. We can both smell that funky animal smell blending into his natural body scent, but it stands out tremendously at some point in there to Octopod but not to him. Is this a sex thing, or do we just have weird noses? In any case, no more civet for this cat.

I loved reading reviews for this one because everyone got something so different. :D

I immediately and foremost smell civet. I'd lay down money on saying it's in this blend. I also get a powdery impression; leading towards allllllmost resinous. It's like... civet, musk (lots of musk), and maybe a very light myrrh. This is definately a skin scent, and yes, incredibly evocative of sex. I personally love this... it's somehow familiar, and kinda naughty. I don't find this spicy in any way, or woodsy. So many reviewers don't like this one... maybe it's my skin chemistry? I'm almost afraid to wear this in worries that people around me will think I reek. :P Leave it to me to love the underdog.

For now I'm marking this as a possible bottle purchase, but I'll need some further testing.

In the bottle – Weird, I can smell that something is there, but not actually smell ‘it’. It’s almost as if my nose slips away from it

Wet on me – I would say jasmine and sandalwood

Dry on me – A woody sort of musk scent, with a bitter chocolate after scent

Overall – A little odd and not really me

A frimp from the lab. =)

In the imp, green, resin and maaaybe some musk?

Wet on me, woods and resins so far...and much much more throw than I was expecting given the imps I had tried before. My husband is probably not going to like this, as he likes the "me" smell more than any perfume. Plus his nose is apparently more sensitive to smells...he can't tell the notes yet, but, he can smell perfume long after I can't.

Much more powerful than the ones I have been trying, and not fading as fast either.

Drying on my wrist, incense, and behind that some sort of musk?

Drying on the back of my hand, Cedar? Some sort of wood or possibly amber? with incense and musk behind.

On the elbow, Cedar and maybe amber, with incense and musk further behind as a mere background.

After about three hours, I smell cedar and a little sandalwood, maybe. My wrist, which seems to amp incense, has more of an incense note. The scents are all still fairly strong. This one seems to last on me.

Husband's reaction so far? "Whoah, you have perfume on!" and then 30 seconds later,"and it lingers..." This is after I passed through the room he was in. I didn't have him sniff my arm.

Much later in the day, it was still there, and mostly cedar with perhaps a couple other notes hiding under the tree. This is by far the most persistent of the scents I have tried. It even lingered after my shower on my elbow.

I like the scent, but, I don't know whether I can atribute this afternoon's happy activity with my husband to the scent or just to having a nice lazy day by ourselves with nowhere we needed to be.

Edited by Aerinha

How strange. I got a pretty much a single note of ginger from this, which is nice, but not something I need.

I need to wear this more to see what scents I pick out, but for now, all I can say is that it works!

I got my little imp in the mail yesterday, which just happened to be the first day that I saw 'the boy' after we broke up last week. (really long story) It's true that there might have been the same results if I hadn't worn the perfume, but I did wear it and its intended consequence came to pass. (and it was quite good)

It felt quite warm and I loved the scent. This one seems quite easy to accidentally put on too much, so be careful!

This one was pure spice on me. A powdery sort of spice, and oddly a little sweaty sort of spice. Ginger and champagne-like notes tickle my nose and keep me sniffing at it. Overall I liked it, but the manperson didn't, so I doubt I will fare well on a love test with it.

From the illustrious Cranberry, per the Civet Evangelism Circle:

This is very dusty on me.

Very dusty, then very woody.

There's this flat, kind of Chinese medicine cabinet part of this, which is a tiny bit like I get from the LE Frederick. Makes me think of astralingus and this medicine you can brew up for wellness.

But mostly dusty wood.

Since I find libraries sexy, whoot!

It gets a little darker as it dries down.

A very close skin-scent for me, but many things are.

Oh, no no no! This starts out as a nice, deep sandalwood with maybe some musk but quickly is converted by my evil skin into a foul, musky, acrid odor. Not for me.

Very heavy musky, woody scent. I can smell sandalwood and civet quite distinctly - right up close the smell is a little too, well, crotch-like, to be frank, which is simultaneously disturbing and compelling! The throw is rather nicer, smooth and sexy.

In Vial: Woodsy

Wet; Sweet and incensey vanilla.

Drydown:Softened but still wood and incense.

This was a free gift from the lab. I had no idea what to expect from it, but I was really surprised when I tried it on and it turned into straight pine freshener. Not too incendiary to my nose. I do not like it as a personal scent, since the lab's pine note seems to go really, really unpleasantly sharp on me, but I am going to try it out as a room scent.