Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Fire of Love

A catalytic, potent love oil used to spark (or rekindle) the flame of desire between lovers.

Swapped for this.... :D I've only had one experience with civet before, back before I started reviewing: I sniffed a Voodoo blend that was supposed to contain it and it made me nauseous. But I now suspect said blend had geranium in it as well, which might have been the culprit, so I'm willing to give the dreaded c-word another go.

In the Imp: Hey, this is the same colour as Snake Oil! I'm going to take that as a good omen, or something. *uncaps* Hmmm. Mostly I get spicy-sharp-dusty cedar and ginger.... there's a touch of something deeper and more feral, almost like a very very dark musk, in there, but it's certainly not unpleasant at first sniff. Hunh. Honestly, this is just sort of..... eh. *shrug* Ain't skeered, as my Southern neighbors would say. (Hee, Franz Ferdinand's "Do You Want To" just came on the playlist. Seems appropriate.)

Wet: Cedar, ginger, maybe some patchouli, and... that must be the civet. Wow. Bizarre. It's sort of a low dark note, but with a high-pitched component, too. Like black musk and a breath of cold tomb air at the same time. It doesn't smell bad, particularly, but the combination of cedar and civet is making it sort of stale-smelling, and (weirdly) cold. It reminds me of Hexennacht. Is it supposed to conjure thoughts of having sex in a morgue? 'Cause that's totally what I'm getting.... I can see how this would be sexy on the right person, but on me, it smells just like the tombs and catacombs under various churches I've been lucky enough to visit. The cedar/patchouli adds a sort of smoke note, like the remnants of incense-scented dust, and the civet.... it's hard to explain. It doesn't smell like rotting flesh or even particularly unpleasant, but it does smell..... shut-in. Dark. Powerful. :D Yet, it is weirdly sexy, in a very bizarre, twisted kind of way. It seems to have an effect on my body, but not my mind. That's just weird.

Dry: It just made me sneeze, and with that, the threatening air vanished. It's hard to be creeped out by something that makes you sneeze (particularly since I squeak when I sneeze... don't ask, okay?) Still, this is an odd one. I'm sort of ambivalent about it. I get the, like, virgin-temple-maiden-being-sent-into-the-dark-room-to-be-deflowered-by-priest air, but at the same time... I was expecting something warmer, more inviting and langorous, not something that both made me want to hump something and pay a visit to my local graveyard (although not, I'm pleased to say, at the same time.) It's sort of... I don't know, you read these stories about how people really get off on doing it in a hearse or whatever, and Fire of Love has a bit of that feel to it.

Anyway, I'm glad that I seem to be able to wear civet, and I think, in another blend, it would fit right in, but Fire of Love.... I haven't the vaguest clue what to make of it. I might keep it around for a while, test it on the Boy, see if it gets anyone's engines revving, that sort of thing, but... eesh, I dunno. It's intruiging, and sexy, and a bit creepy, too, and I'm have no idea what to make of it. :D

[eta] To add official description, and to say, yeah, this one..... she has an effect. If you don't mind really, really twisted fantasies. :P Edited by Shollin

This one reminds me very much of the TAL blend Flame of Desire, which for me, is a great thing, since I love that blend and can't get anymore. It's an incensey, earthy, red/brown type scent. Very sexy and neither particularly masculine or feminine. I get a head shop type of patchouli note in this one, with some deep musks and perhaps a benign hint of something peppery in the background. I **love** scents like this, for me this goes hand in hand with Tarot Judgement and Debauchery. Love it, very nice :P

There's no note listing so I'm winging it here. Ginger? Pepper? Feral musk? Cedar that's been smoldering in a fireplace? I really can't pinpoint any one particular note but it all swirls together to evoke one word in particular - warmth.

It's like the buildup to raunchy, slammed-up-against-the-wall sex. It's a series of filthy words whispered in the ear followed by slow, tantalizing touches. Coming close to the naughty bits but no further. Stroking and teasing and hinting at things to come but not delivering the happy ending. Not just yet, at least.

It may be worth mentioning that I dabbed this on right before bed last weekend and was blessed with the most decadent dreams, some of them including nearly the whole damn cast of Firefly. I wish I could remember more of it but the most memorable part involved Inara doing a striptease for the crew because she'd lost a bet with Mal. And we're not talking your dimly lit bar kind of striptease. This was true burlesque a la Gypsy Rose Lee. Yum.

In the bottle: Autumn24 called this "A hot, swollen, engorged scent of strong ginger." and that is exactly right. I smell ginger first and just underneath is musk and a hint of black pepper.

Wet: The musk comes out to play when I first put this on. The ginger is still there, very clean, like how my mouth feels after eating a slice of candied ginger.

Dry: Earthy sex! The ginger seems to have disappeared entirely and been replaced by cedar. The musk is still around but not so prominant now. Below that is the black pepper.

Overall: Something very intriguing about this one, very sexy. Gotta add yet another scent to my list of bottles!

Like Czernobog, that has a similar black musk/civit note with a sharp almost herbal green topnote, this smells like someone trying to clean up a decomposing body. Gag. :P

Fire of Love smells like cigarettes. Cigarettes burning cedar wood amongst mammals in heat. Despite my overtly animalistic stance on sexual relations, Fire of Love is not for me.

bottle:

musky, a little spicy

wet:

musky

dry:

musky, maybe even civety…

overall:

not crazy about this.

rating: 5/10

In the bottle: Spicy. Maybe cinnamon? It's got the smell of spice & woods. Like an autumn day at noon. This is nice.

Wet: Holy mother of ginger batman! This is all ginger & woods... cedar maybe? I'm beginning to get a bit of lemony pinesol scent.

Dry down: PeeeU. This is not working with my chemistry at all. It's overpoweringly ginger & musky. Bleh.

30 minutes: Ok, I need to go wash this off. It's not working for me at all. How it could possibly get me in the mood is beyond me. I smell like an old cat lady. Mothball sweater and all.

Conclusion: This didn't work for me. I started smelling like old cat lady & B.O. This seemed promising in the bottle, but my body chemistry did a number on it. This was not something I could use to invoke sexy thoughts. After trying to wash it off with little luck my husband caught a whiff of me and told me "That oil stinks." LOL

Rating 1-5 on my skin, this is a 1.

Edited by Bridey

Initial impression: this smells like pepper, maybe a bit of anise, and a dark musk or civet. Or maybe both. This is a hot smelling blend, with all sorts of fiery components. There’s an element of cedar or some other dry wood.

After it’s been on a while, it remains dry wood, musk, and civet. It’s really strong smelling, and just the tiniest amount is hanging on ferociously! I have other cedar blends that I like more than this, yet there is something compelling about this blend. I won’t get a bottle but I will keep my imp.

Fire of Love is a resinous, woody, smoky, incense scent. When I first applied it, it smelled simply of dirt and I didn't think I'd care for it at all; however, as it dried down, it gained a warmth and complexity that I found very intriguing and within about 15 minutes, it smelled like ... well, you know, that smell that lingers in the air post-sex. Fire of Love in its first opening stage is incredibly sexy and warm and sultry. After about an hour, however, the notes in Fire of Love shift, and a peculiar things happens: it begins to smell exactly like the bedroom closet of a cabin my family rented in the mountains when I was 9 years old. I couldn't first identify it, but at right about the one hour point, a distinctly woody, dusty, and cedar-like scent became predominant, and I suddenly began to flash back to the family trip we took to the snowy mountains 26 years ago. I shuffled through my memory, and remembered our family sitting around a table in the middle of the cabin, with a fire burning, while putting together a wooden puzzle. Yet, despite how similar the scent of Fire of Love was to that recollection, it wasn't exactly what it was reminding me of. As I shuffled through my memory banks a bit more, I recalled the memory of the first time we stepped foot in the cabin, and I ran to a room to claim it as my own, and I began to explore and opened up a closet in the room. An extra pillow and some blankets were stacked on a shelf in the closet and a few empty wire hangers hung on the bar in it. Otherwise, the most noticeable thing about the closet was the scent of dust and cedar. And that is exactly what Fire of Love smells like from the one hour point on. It's not a scent that I would normally wear as I tend to like sweet, fruity, and floral scents, and this one is much earthier than I normally wear. Unfortunately, the scent doesn't seem to have much throw but it does seem to last a good while. It seems to be a scent that has the potential of smelling super hot'n'sexy on a man, and I think I'm going to give my imp to husband to try out.

This smells spicy, perhaps a bit patchouli. Similar to All night long, but there is something in the background that's a bit sickeming to me...

Later: so is this civet perhaps? I don't know for sure if it's that, but it's sure NOT my taste. Off to a candle spell with this one, as I won't be wearing this one on my skin ever again.

ugh - I had high hopes for this one. I certainly does not make me want to jump the husband. Boo.

I get cedar and pepper on a musky base with a slight burnt edge. And no ginger at all.

It's not a bad scent - just not what I had envisioned. It might be better as a room fragrance - at least for me.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Smokey.

In the imp: Eek, patchouli?

On skin, wet: Musky, very earthy. Cedar, patchouli, perhaps incense, and maybe cinnamon? I'm not very clear on the notes in this. It's very thick, almost heady. It smells very familiar, as though I've come across this imp before.

On skin, dry: Spicy, warm, smokey. It does indeed remind me of Snake Oil, but Snake Oil is sweeter, a bit lighter, and, of course, has that amazing sugared vanilla element. This is like a more smokey, much less sweet Snake Oil.

Conclusion/Notes: Unfortunately for FoL, one of the things I love most about Snake Oil is its beautiful, sugary vanilla. It's close, but no cigar for me. Also, since I'm happil single, I've only tested this as a scent, and I don't intend on attempting to use it in any other way.

Frimp from the lab and as I checked some reviews I was soooo happy to get a civety blend- thank you!! Especially considering I probably wouldn't have ordered this on my own since there weren't notes listed in the description.

First applied, this is OMG PATCHOULI!! Yes, a lot of patchouli- and some piney note that later turns more cedary. As it dries, the patchouli is still the dominating note- like a hippie in a cedar chest. I catch something smouldering below the hippie-in-a-box, it's musky, dark, and spicy. However, the patchouli is not playing well with others and keeping my musky love from fully emerging. If there is civet I can't detect it, which is sad as I'm a civet lover.

This is a very dark blend and makes me think of having animal-like sex in a forest on the night of a full moon. It's almost like Snake Oil for men. I see a lot of potential in this blend for me if I can age the patchouli into submission.

This smells really musty. I can't work with musty scents. Hades, Malediction, Fire of Love - they are all ooky to me and I can't even attempt to find notes. They all smell the same.

Fire of Love is a ginger attack with a tiny bit of edge (spices? musk? I'm almost certain there's some pepper), which means I will be passing on this because blah ginger. :P Thumbs up for ginger lovers though!

i opened this to sniff it before reviewing it, and it had that Nearly Headless problem so many of my imps from the lab have had lately.

so i spent awhile peeling the cap off, and taking the oil from that imp to another and forgot to re-read what it was i was working with... and of course got a little on my hands from the faulty vial.

and, oh gods. poo. civet. i dunno what else is in this, but i know this one note...

which i can't take.

off off off, get it off meeee.

I tried this scent awhile back and never reviewed it. I loved reading the other reviews...t's amazing how many people loved it, and one of the wonderful things about the wacky world of body chemistry. I really wanted to like it...a friend had had a negative reaction to it but had a bottle she was looking to sell or trade, and it would have been great if I had liked it.

But it turned to dead hippie on my skin...it was not just patchouli, which I sometimes love, but ZOMBIE patchouli. Fire of necrophiliac love. Ugh. It was one of the few scents that has made me whimper and run to the sink immediately. Oh, it was potent all right :P . Just not the way it was intended!

I'm glad it works for others though, even if it did not work for me.

Fire of Love is strong on me. STRONG! I smell black amber, patchouli, musk, and maybe a smidge of civet? It reminds me of a more animalistic Haunted, and like Haunted, there's a slightly powdery side to it.

I think I'll try a tiny bit of this on top of some Snake Oil or Smut some time to see if it enhances the already come-hither qualities of those blends.

Oooooh dear.

Love Me and Follow Me Boy had the civet note under control - making things interesting but not overwhelming. But Fire of Love - is like Satyr. And I am going to use the dreaded simile that I have not yet used in nearly 150 imps tried, and say:

It smells like ass.

I am sorry. But no love. No fire. Fire of Love as a frimp was kindly meant, but it is probably going to get frimped to someone who will find success and rekindled love with it; I will try other methods.

Edited by indicolite

I know that it must be my rather agreeable skin chemistry, but this smells rather good on me. It starts out with a sweet wood note with a pretty tame civet in the background. I used to walk at the San Diego Zoo every morning for exercise and this is the smell that I would get walking around the binturong enclosure. After I've been wearing it for 20 minutes, it becomes a sort of ambery musk scent. Maybe I should wave my wrist under my husband's nose and test this out.

Oooh, I like this one.

When it goes on first, there's a resinous wood that jumps up and waves its bits around in a thoroughly immodest manner, but it gets off the table after a few minutes and the whole thing settles into a really seriously musky woodiness, with a sharp clean edge of something citrus--lime peel, I think. Basically a big bowl of musk with a slice of lime on the side.

It's very sexy, in a 1970s Queen-of-the-Jungle-Room sort of way. And sometimes you just have to put on the leopard-print bikini and go with that.

Lobster Rating

Better than: disco

Fire of Love on me is an unabashedly immodest cedar, and...

is that what civet smells like?

I'm not sure if I like that or not. it's the same intial reaction i had with vetiver - I kept saying, I don't think I like this, but I could not stop sniffing it. it's a tiny bit animalistic.

oh and there's the ginger. hello, ginger!

I think though that I'd wear a little bit of this for the intent and the energy and wear another scent for the top, overt fragrance.

On me, Fire of Love is a nice musky-woody scent. The civet plays very nicely with my chemistry, as it usually does; it doesn't seem to be that strong of a note in this blend. It's a very nice perfume, but doesn't really shout "sexy" to me.