Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Fire of Love

A catalytic, potent love oil used to spark (or rekindle) the flame of desire between lovers.

This is very woodsy on me. I'm getting a piney cedar and yes, some kind of muskiness underneath it. But I'm getting some kind of heavy floral note coming through in the background. I can't tell exactly what it is but it must be some lily or magnolia or jasmine type note as I tend to amp those up ridiculously.

All in all it reminds me of my ex right after he stepped out of the shower and right before I'd jump on him. A clean, masculine, sexy scent with a ghostly floral haunting it.

I haven't tried many scents like this, got it as a frimp from the lab. I like it but I suspect they have something else similar that will drop my jaw more than this one does. I'll try it for its intended purpose before I decide I'm still looking ;-)

On me this is a nice herbal lemon at first, but quickly bitters and takes on a very sharp tone...not pleasant. Too bad. :(

Sadly, on me, Fire of Love goes from a heady greenhouse floral scent which I like to an acrid, used-bandaid smell on the dry-down. After 20 mins, though, it's faded floral musk, not unpleasant. While the end result is nice enough, I would have to pass on this because that plastic note is too overpowering for me. It reminds me of whatever carpet cleaner Best Buy uses which causes me migraines and makes my throat feel like closing up.

This one confused me a lot, because the initial throw I got from the imp, and the results of the skin test I did, were nothing like the description says. Reading through these reviews, I see why. I've got the 'new' pale pink, florally thing - which is a shame, really. Vetiver and I are pretty much besties these days, and a good dose of patchouli is usually enough to temper any potential nastiness I might get from civet (not always a win, but more often than not it'll play nice on me). I'm curious to try and track down a sample of the older style, just to compare; in the meantime, my experience from the one I recently got as a frimp is below.

In the imp: floral. Holy mother of god is it floral. Horrible floral, too - my first bet is on Lily of the Valley, which I'm rapidly learning I can't stand, but there might also be jasmine or stephanotis blossom in there. There's an undertone of aquatic blooms as well, and from the colour, I suspect dragon's blood resin or pink musk.

Wet: a spicy, albeit salty, warmth - definitely some type of 'blood' note. And not in a good way. There's nothing remotely sensual or sexual going on for me here. In fact, I'm very tempted to wash off the tiny drops I put on, because I'm starting to feel slightly nauseous already.

Dry: didn't make it. Five minutes into the dry down, I went and scrubbed it off. Whatever's in here, it's a migraine trigger, and a strong one at that. And good god, does this amp - boyfriend was sitting ten feet away and still complained it was too strong.

Life: indeterminate; throw: ridiculous.

Stars:

In the imp: This sort of smells like a heavy duty commercial cleaner - a chemical sort of floral.

Wet: Definitely a very heady floral. Others have said everything from violets to lilies to jasmine. It doesn't smell like any of these to me. My memory may be faulty, but it smells the way I remember my mum's peonies smelling. Whether or not this is actually peonies, I'll probably never know. But I get a mental image of the big showy blossoms in front of our old house. Very pretty.

Dry: Pretty much the same, but some of the sharpness goes away and it gets a little softer and sweeter. If there is spice of any sort it doesn't show up on my skin at all. I like it as it is, though.

Edited by SunsetKay

Wow, I am getting NONE of the ginger or the heat in this one! From bottle to dry, over four hours, it's basically just a rather approachable floral. Nothing particularly sensual about it, nothing warm or spicy. The musk is really keeping its head down for me, just providing a slightly earthy backdrop to the florals. It's not at all unpleasant. It's enjoyable enough, but I'm not in love with it.

I guess I was expecting this to be more sultry and less citrus, ginger, warm-colored things. There seems to be a little musk back there, but the ginger just isn't well balanced on me.

This starts off as a beautiful jasmine, and gets a little kick of ginger and lemon. This might be a bottle!

Wet on my skin: Strong, heady floral that immediately goes a little soapy -- but not all of it does. Soapy always makes me suspect white flowers... I'd guess gardenia and/or magnolia, muguet, jasmine, and a little lilac. I also smell a light almost citrusy fruit, but nothing I can name. Lemon is usually so piercing on me, and this fruit isn't, so maybe it's just a mist of it.

Dried: Just the same notes, plus a pinch of ginger -- more blended, and very sweet.

Too floral and soap-leaning for me.

I swear I've smelled this before.... Where was it??? Perhaps a fancy schmansy restaurant I walked by once?

The more fancy, sensual soft notes I pick up from the imp however quickly fade to a sharper, more dusty blend on my skin.

To be honest, after a little while it goes garbage on me. Seriously. Like, a full bag of garbage. Bleh. Too bad, it was promising at first. :(

Unfortunately I couldn't get to full dryness on this one. In the imp, it was bitter and acrid. And on me it was even worse, so much sourness in addition to the bitter. I can't place the smells but I feel like the comparison to band-aids is heading in the right direction, but way stronger.The sour bitter smell turned my stomach so badly I had to rush to get it off (washing + alcohol wipes and I still had to resort to covering it with a lotion). I wish I was exaggerating because I hate to have such a strong bad reaction to a BPAL scent, but omg.

I smell lily of the valley from the get go and then it suddenly turns into bitter stinky garbage. Later it settles into a bitter green floral scent.

Fresh out of the imp this is quite nice, a warm, white floral. I'd love to see the ingredients list but I smell lily and plumeria, with gardenia coming in a bit later. I amp gardenia quite a bit, but in this blend I'm not minding it--it's a cool, green gardenia. There's definitely a sharp, green bite in there, which I've noticed in several of BPAL's florals. I'm very fond of that note but I can see how it would turn others off. I'm guessing there's some woods and citrus in there, too, and a musk base. It does get slightly more soapy over time, but not so much that it's an outright soap scent. While not overpoweringly strong, this does leave a soft, noticeable trail. Very warm, heady, and sexy.

As a sidenote, I can definitely see this causing trouble (headaches, nausea, etc.) for those sensitive to white florals, especially those who aren't a fan of "indolic" anything. It's not triggering anything for me, but proceed with caution!

Imp: WOAH! Oh hi floral in your face!
Wet on Me: Heady overpowering floral. Daisy, Carnation, mum and lily
Drying Down: This is really really really strong. Getting rose too. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Dry: This is a very very strong perfume. Truly this is SOOO not for me!

Florals, dragon's blood and ginger? Whatever it is, it's not me. It would be really pretty on the right person, but I don't gravitate towards blends that are primarily floral.

In the imp: Florals -- lily or lilac or hyacinth. 

On my skin:

Wet, a note like lily is predominant. Given some time to dry, and I think I smell something spicy grounding the lily. I could believe dragon's blood, ginger, or cinnamon. I don't think it's clove or pepper (black or pink) as those tend to be distinct on my skin. 

After some time, maybe thirty minutes or so, the skin scent seems to be more of the spice (ginger?) and maybe dragon's blood, though the throw still seems to be mostly lily. Oh, wait -- false alarm. At the forty-five minute mark, it's back to being predominantly lily near and far. 

And perhaps I've just spent one too many Easter mornings in a church crammed with lily smell, but this is not the scent that sparks carnal desire in me. 

I'm seeing a lot of reviews referencing wood notes, and smokey notes, and I didn't get ANY of that.  I tried an imp and it was a lovely little floral with some notes that were kind of hard to distinguish, maybe tea rose?  Maybe hyssop?  Might be important to note that I identify as Ace and take an SSRI, so may not be the target demo for this one. 

Lab freebie from 2016, tested on arrival and again this year after aging.

In the imp: extremely floral - my bets are still probably jasmine, perhaps lily of the valley.

Wet: Spicy and slightly salty. I can't pick anything that would be obviously contributing to the oil's colour, but I still suspect it has one of the blood notes; there's a vague blood-muskiness that starts to emerge as it dries.

Dry: Didn't get far enough to test for morph, as it ended up triggering a migraine both times and I washed it off (both times). The floral/power amps to high heaven, so I'm giving it to a friend who likes floral-driven blends more than I do.

Edited by alyelle

All I got from this one was a strong, white floral -- hella throw, kind of funky at first, but then it loses that funk and goes a little soapy. It didn't really make me think of jasmine despite the funk phase, though, so I am not sure which floral I'm smelling for sure, or if there are a few here -- I would not be surprised if there were lily in this, as that crossed my mind at one point, but that doesn't tend to go funky on me... maybe it started off strong on jasmine and settled into lily?

I'm not sure, but I really thought this would be a spicy one due to its name!