Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Fire of Love

A catalytic, potent love oil used to spark (or rekindle) the flame of desire between lovers.

I really wanted to try one of the Conjure Bag scents, and as I'm in a very long distance relationship, this seemed appropriate. When I first got the imp it was another of those 'knock me down at 10 paces' scents. Acrid incense, yeep. Having learned my lesson about skin testing those (Hunger, oy), this went straight in the Frog Box...

...where it's been politely contemplating its navel for a couple weeks in the quiet dark. Opened up the imp tonight and was pleasantly surprised to find something that to me was a spicy, warm sandalwoody/cedary mix, so a skin testing we go.

On me it's now a beautiful spicy wood--nothing I would have ever pictured liking on my skin, but I really do. I keep getting little sharp sappy hints almost like pine but probably not.

For whatever reason, I had an irresistable urge to layer this one, so I did 3 different tests:

with Embalming Fluid: Becomes a cleaner, refreshing woody scent, like green sap over the dry sweet wood.

with Lucy's Kiss: Cool! This is what I wanted Lucy's Kiss to smell like when I read the notes. It's a sweet spicy rose rather than the expired potpourri I get with Lucy's Kiss solo.

with O: Um, wow. This may well be my signature scent right here. I liked O, I liked Fire of Love, I have no idea what they turned into but it's stunning. :squee:

Vetiver, ginger and cedar, in that order on my skin. This is really dark and smoky. If there's patchouli in here it's buried fairly deep for me. DH seemed to really like it, I'm not so sure about it. It's a little disconcerting honestly.

Oh Geez, another one that just turned awful on me.

I still have it on, luckily it doesn't have much throw...it's basically stayed a dark, bitter cigar smoke smell, intermingled with an old fashioned 47:11 acridity (its an old cologne my grandma used to wear.) It has a bite too, similar to Jean Nate.

Definitely not good, and doesn't arouse anything remotely sexy in me...Saturnalia is way better!

Wet: sandalwood? This isn't the type of sandalwood note I covet. It is cut wood but not smoky. Something sweet hidden in the background? This is quite pungent, overall.

Transition: almost smoky a bit sweeter maybe it's vanilla?

Dry: very smoky wood, sweetness possibly vanilla is still hidden in the background, I'm only picking out the two notes which aren't blending well and seem to clash

A while late:r sweetness is more present with a tiny bit of creaminess but the smokiness is still to strong even for me.

Verdict: I would say it is masculine but unless it is more complex on my guy I won't be keeping this. Oh and on me at least this is in no way arousing!

Edited by FelicityTwitchell

Patchouli, cedar, dragon's blood, and a hint of orange blossom or neroli or something? It gets sweeter and a bit more orangey as it dries down.

The Conjure Bag and I don't have a good history, but as I'd like to find one (or more, always more) of them that works for me, when I get a frimp, I try it.

In the imp: Musty, not musky which I would have preferred and even expected, but musty. And stone. Lower levels of an old stone church maybe? And when I sniffed, something that made my nose twitch uncomfortably; not a good sign.

Wet: About the same. Musty. Stone. Dampness. Same nose twitching when I tried to get a good whiff.

Dry: After around 20 minutes, whatever it is that my respiratory system doesn't like kicks in full force. Watery, itchy eyes. Sneezing fits to wake the dead. Scratch in the back of my throat. And the symptoms only went away when the scent faded.

Got this as a frimp from a forumite--- and after reading reviews I was very intrigued to try my first civet blend. Immediately on: baby powder and mustiness? OK. Well, at least there's no cat stink! :lol: Shortly thereafter vetiverrrrrrrrrrrrr shows up (mind you I frequently like vetiver) and kicks me in the back of the throat much like the previous reviewer. And it stays like that FOREVER. I should have scrubbed it off, but I was 1) lazy, and 2) wanted to see if it garnered any reaction from the SO. No such luck on that last count, and I can't say it makes me feel particularly sexy at all. Oh well! I'm curious now though, to see what other civet blends might be workable for me.

ETA: I forgot to mention that in the beginning I got a lot of cedar as well, which makes for a serious one-two punch combined with the vetiver, and is probably why the vetiver felt so incredibly aggressive in this scent.

Edited by lahdeedah

Fire of Love is all wood and musk on my skin. It's a hot wood and a salty musk...

Huh. On me, this smells like a sauna. How odd.

In the Imp: There is definitely patchouli in this. I'm a bit of a patchouli connoisseur, so I'm pretty darn certain. Also, musk. Hubby and I are already insanely into each other, so I hope it isn't too good or we may make the house explode!

Wet: The nice, creamy patchouli provides a grounding affect as well as a resinous note. Something to the effect of citrus here as well, maybe bergamot or neroli? But it's actually not overly spicy, instead helping to warm the scent.

Dry: Well, I wouldn't say this is the "fire" of love. Maybe a candle or something. :lol: But it's still good! It's creamy, fresh, and warm all in one. The patchouli is very sedate and playing nicely with the citrus. Both refreshing and relaxing. Kind of a lazy day scent to me.

Overall: I like this, but it's forgettable in my book because nothing really stands out. I've had great patchouli scents and I've had great citrus scents, and this one is just sort of dawdling in the middle of "okay" for both. It would, however, be a good sleeping scent in my opinion. Heh, more pass out than make out!

Edited by Balame

In the vial: Vetiver.

On me: It warms on the skin—some fire joins the char, and the scent grows broader and smoother. The other note is probably musk—sometimes it has the warmth of red, but it also exhibits the cuddly and mildly villanic nature that brown has on my skin. With wear, the scent balances more and more towards musk. Vetiver still touches it with some warmth and smoky shadow, but this is largely a rich, warm, sensuous musk, just barely fuzzy, spiked with a mild sweetness that resembles brown sugar. Whatever the exact notes, it's gorgeous on my skin. Scent color is somewhere between auburn and burnt umber. Wear length is moderate to long, but the throw dies down to low after the first few hours.

Verdict: I love it—but that's mostly because I love musk and vetiver. In itself, Fire of Love isn't a particularly unique scent—it begins as mostly vetiver, ends as mostly musk, and doesn't have a strong independent identity. But musk in particular is fantastic on my skin, and this is a lovely all-rounder in that category: smooth, warm, barely sweet, cuddly but sensuous, straight up but beautiful musk. It reminds me to wear musk more often, but it isn't a must-have musk in its own right simply because it's not unique. Still, this is the only wearable Conjure Bag that I've ever tried and as such a fantastic surprise and, however, unoriginal, still lovely.

This one is awesome!! :wub2: I'm in a relationship, and yep, it does exactly as promised. re-kindles the spark. Definitely a keeper.

However, if you are feeling sick, have a blocked nose (or your partner has a blocked nose) don't expect it to work. I'd also take care not to over-use this one either. It's an every-now-and-then scent rather than an every day scent. Save for special occasions.

What does it smell like? I'm hopeless at identifying notes! My vague suggestions include: rose? and maybe musk? or Jasmine? yeahhhh....I'm hopeless.

I got two frimps of this scent from the lab. It's my first voodoo blend!

In the imp,it smelled very floral and green. That could be vetiver, as some people have said. I've never tried a blend with that note so I'm not sure what I'm smelling.

On my skin it is a VERY strong floral. I don't know where everyone else is getting cedar, because all I smell is sickenly sweet floral. Not really liking it so much. It does have a bit of a warming effect on my skin. The spice (ginger or cinnamon?) comes through at the end, but something powdery is also starting to come through.

After an hour it was much better, a warm ginger woody scent, but I don't think I can get through the first part. I rarely have scents morph like that on me, though, so I'm excited to try other voodoo blends!

Edited by venusinfurs

This is an overwhelming floral on me. I'm pretty sure it's Lily of the Valley, the one floral that I just cannot stand. There is a hint of green or something underneath it and it would be lovely on the right person. I left it on a few minutes and had to wash it off so it may have developed further if I'd let it.

got this as a frimp in my very first order of imps, and it winds up pretty much being my favorite out of the bunch.

starts off spicy/cinnamon-y and with citronella. also strong notes of linden flower.

fades to let the linden come out more, with the spiciness far more subdued. the linden lingers and lingers, and i love the smell of the flower (green, slight hint of its namesake, lime, but rounded out with a bit of powder). l'occitane used to sell a linden perfume, now discontinued :(, so i'm so glad it shows up here.

love it, love it. probably gonna buy a full bottle.

Edited by sessile

This is gorgeous.

In the imp I smell sweet rose...

On wet it stays the same. It's not like other rose scents but a light, soft, pink, almost white rose (though in reality they probably don't smell like this, not been around a fresh rose in ages). It's a very bright scent. It reminds me of something I used to love in childhood but cannot remember if it was a perfume of my mom's or someone else's.

Drydown, the sweet rose remains but it softens even more and I think I smell white musk and I get really strong linden too. Linden is one of my favourite scents in the natural world. :wub2:

As far as it's voodoo power... my husband sniffed my wrist and said 'eh, it's ok' and turned back to the rugby. I think it would take more than voodoo to re-ignite our sex life anyway but that's for a different kind of post.

As for the scent, it's absolutely amazing. I love this, definitely getting a big bottle with my next order.

I so wanted the warm, spicy, sexy scent that others are describing, but on me, this is nothing but violets. Sickly-sweet, overpowering violets. After it dries a little, I get a hint of something else, maybe pepper or ginger, but the violets still predominate. Apparently, that's one of the flowers I amp, along with roses, and it's a deal breaker for me. Such a shame, too. I was really looking forward to a a new hot and spicy scent.

Ok here is my first post and want to say Hello to everyone. I placed my first order for a bottle of Snake Oil and got Fire of Love as the extra imp in the box. After first sniff I got a faint flower smell but it was overwhelmed because I managed to try all the scents I received on at one time (I lack control). So when my sister raced over to get her smells on we tested it on her. She smiled very wide and said "It's lilacs after the rain in Mom and Dad's garden." On her it is exactly that. It is a cool May after the rain and you are running in the wet grass with lilacs. A few days later when I tried it on myself (just one scent this time) it was more smokey and lemon scented. On her its a vision on me its a very nice scent. These oils do bring out memories and are as amazing as the descriptions and all of your reviews!

I'm so confused -- and sad! I had an imp of Fire of Love from approximately 2007 or 08. I loved it and used it sparingly. Like others have said, it was very vetiver/musky/cedary-- a very incensely, smoky scent. A few people recently told me they loved it. My imp finally ran out, so I ordered a bottle.

The new bottle smells nothing like the old imp. It's way way way floral. WAY floral. And I hate florals. I'm not picking up any trace of the notes of the original. I'm almost wondering if I got something that was mislabeled.

Very sad. I will have to try Dracul, since others have said that smelled similar to the old version.

I'm getting red musk and a bit of spice. Dries to creamy red musk and a touch of spice. I like this!

I was given a frimp of this pale pink fluid. I read through the reviews and expected something dark and heady. Nope. Not earthy, incensey or even animalistic. Wet and dry, I can make out dragon's blood and maybe a hint of musk. It has serious throw and I occasionally get a whiff of sugar cookies or a tart fruit. It seems to morph from minute to minute. I'm going to have to try this one at work to see how it goes over.

Thoughts before testing: I wasn't sure what to expect with this since most reviews say it's strong and dark and heady, but then more recent reviews say it's floral. It doesn't really matter though, since I'm testing everything that comes my way to broaden my BPAL horizons.

Wet: Mother of god, it's ALL FLOWERS. Sharp and floral with just a hint of green. I don't think I've ever smelled a perfume so unapologetically floral before.

Dry down: It turns very sharp as it dries, but never turns soapy. I think there's jasmine in here but surprisingly it doesn't turn to dirty diaper on my skin. It actually smells quite lovely if I ignore the sharpness. Maybe tuberose also?

Dry: After about two hours, the sharpness is gone and it's a lovely strong floral.

Final thoughts: This is definitely not for the faint of heart. I'm lover of floral perfumes, but there was a point where I considered washing this off because it's STRONG and was pretty uncomfortably sharp. But there are situations that call for a big, bold floral perfume, and this is a lovely one. I also love that it never goes turns into floral soap. It's just so feminine and what I would imagine Scarlett O'Hara smelling like. This wound up being a surprise hit for me.

Verdict: Keeping the imp, probably a bottle upgrade.

In the bottle: Ooo. Sweet and spicy with a bit of undertones.

Wet: Hello, knock you over at 10 paces. Woodsy, sweet, and a bit of spice that my nose hasn't decided if it likes or not.

Drydown: Very woody, almost like pine sap. Think I smell a bit of ginger in there too. Will have to test around boyfriend in a month when he comes to visit.

Wet on skin: Spicy fresh green Ginger! Like a ginger plant with some of the leaves attached. I'm pretty sure there is galbanum in here. This is seriously spicy/strong - I can feel it in the back of my throat.

Once it's dried down, it is a lot less overwhelming. I can smell some other spices in the background, but too faint to be identified. There's also some... white musk? red musk? a mix of both?

Now that it's dried down a little more, I can smell the musk better,I'm sure there's at least *some* red musk. There's also some sandalwood in the background.

Mostly, though, this is some intense Ginger. With a bit of a musky background.

Wow, the reviews on this one seem to be all over the place! I'm no good at distinguishing notes, but here are my impressions anyway.

As soon as I applied it, I thought "ROSE." It's a strong floral, with an undertone of a wood of some kind. But rose always goes soapy on me, and this didn't, so I'm not 100% on what the floral is. Maybe a lily? I swear there is Dragon's Blood in here too.

I actually found this to be quite similar to Ladon, which is also a Dragon's Blood and floral scent. With a name like "Fire of Love" I was expecting spice or heat of some kind, but I get nothing like that. There might be a musk in here, but it doesn't smell like red musk so I'm not sure what it would be. I also got something a bit dusty/musty/perhaps smokey when this was wet, judging from the other reviews here maybe it was vertiver? I've never tried anything with that note in it, so I can't say for sure.

The strongest association I can come up with is standing on my Grandmother's balcony in Vancouver and smelling all the flowers and greenery she had planted there. It's not overly sweet, but floral and maybe a bit herbal. It also smells a touch like a skin cream my mother used to use. It's nice, and surprisingly wearable. I don't see it inspriring passion between lovers, though, but what do I know.

Wet: Bleurgh! Lemon cleaner and flowers

Drydown: Stinky flowers and something sharp and spice, must be the ginger. A little while later the spice overpowers the stinky flowers and it actually becomes quite a nice spicy, leathery blend...pretty sexy! Quite gender-neutral. It wouldn't be a scent I'd reach for often, though. I have so many more than I prefer!