Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Fire of Love

A catalytic, potent love oil used to spark (or rekindle) the flame of desire between lovers.

Fire of Love came as an imp from the lab with my first bpal bottle order. I fell in love instantly. It has a wonderful, warm golden spiciness mixed with a slightly sharp naughtiness which can only be the civet. It doesn't smell rank at all, rather it smells musky, sexy, hot and spicy, in a warm, womanly way. I don't get this as a man scent but I think it's quite gender neutral. I've tried a lot of bpal and I can still stay this is my fave. I'm so glad civet likes me and I love civet! I also really like Debauchery but when I'm in a more purely freaky mood or want to be...fire of love inspires seduction, arousal and day long wrist sniffing!! Bravo! Edited by Shollin

I thought I'd reviewed this, but apparently not.

When I first tried this, my notes say "BUM'S MOUTH, EW", and reading the reviews of others above, I'm relieved to see that I am not the only person who had that reaction.

Some months later, I mistakenly swapped for an imp of this (what was I thinking??) and figured what the hell, I'll give it a second chance.

Today is smells like a hippie wanna-be. Like someone thought that the way to be a damn dirty hippie was to not shower this morning and put a wee dab of a watered-down beauty salon version of eau de patchouli behind each ear.

Trade bag.

Edited by Lamia

Oh my...

This smells like vinegar on my skin and smells very acidy. Like it's almost burning my nose.

There's an animal sweat feel to it also..

Don't really know what else to say, this was the first EVER BPAL that I've wanted to wash off!!!

:P

Oh, wow. I'm so glad I'm not with the skin skank contingent on this scent! On me, it's more like a traditional cologne.

in the Imp: woody, sharp and slightly sweet. A dry, light wood

Wet: Men's cologne, sharp and woody; very classy

Dry Down: warm, powdery, sharp men's cologne.

It smells so familiar, but can't put my finger on it. I wanted to say sandalwood; it had a similar sharpness. But on dry down, I'm not so sure.

It's very classy. Subtle, doesn't have a lot of throw. Not for me, but it would probably smell great on a man or on women who can rock the more masculine scents.

In my mind, it's the conjure bag's male complement to Love Me.

I can't really get on with this one,sadly. In the imp it smelled very spicy and warm, but on my skin it just smelled woody: and not in a good way! I don't know what cedar smells like, but that must be it,not too keen on this. I don't think it would have its intended effect on my OH either,as when I got into the car he commented "you smell like pot pourri" :D (and that was after I'd put Gluttony on top of it,thinking it might go spicy-chocalately: the Fire of Love just overpowered it!)

Ooh, I really love the smell of this! Very comforting, smells like grandpa's library. It's musky, and floral, very soft, cedar when I first put it on, then it settles down to cedar and sweet cigar. It's very nice, I didn't think I liked it as much but I keep putting it on. Wish I had a big library with a fire going in the fireplace and a good book to read! I would probably buy more of this one.

ETA:This review is based on an aged imp of Fire Of Love. I have recently acquired a fresh imp and it is much less smooth and the patchouli really comes forward. I look forward to this one againg.

Edited by copagirl

Where there's smoke... This starts with smoky/dusty. It stays smoky/dusty. No changes. With its purpose, I could see wearing it at the same time as another scent. By itself, not so much.

Wow, I actually love this! It's lots of straight-up dirty patchouli over what smells like musk and amber, with maybe a leeeeetle bit of cinnamon thrown in for flavor. I have to slather it quite a bit, but it lasts all day and all night, and gives me delightful wafts of its spicy, sultry scent. This is the first of the Conjure Bag scents that I really had a liking for.

when I first applied this, I hated it. Wet it smells like mildewy leaves with vetiver and baby powder. I wanted to wash it off, but decided to give it a chance. A couple of hours later the mildewy leaves smell is gone, and in it's place is baby powder. The dry down is exactly like Black Cat, which I wasn't too keen on either. Not my kind of scent, alas. I'll have to swap it.

for some reason i actually like this...

at first when i opened the imp it smelled rank but as it warms up on my skin it smells like leather... like cured leather that im ready to work and slightly like cigarette smoke.

i like this. very masculine but cool enough for a chick to pull off. ;)

In the imp: Herby Lemon. Yummy!

Wet: The herbs are coming out, and becoming bitter. I smell BO. There are a few scents now that I've tried that have had the scent of BO in the background and I've had to wash it off. I think it's an herb that I just can't do. Fire of Love is starting to bother me.

Dry: The BO goes away, but it it's too herby. Too dry. And now I'm getting patchouli. Maybe it's just the Van Van I tried I little earlier that's could still be lingering, but It's really starting to bother me.

Overall: I like it in the imp. I don't like it on me. My body chemistry really hates this scent, so, alas, I'll swap or sell. :(

Imp: Peppery patchouli.

Wet: There's something under the patchouli. Like a creamy lemon scent. Maybe a bit of verbena? This has a really interesting drydown. It really morphs on the skin. I'm thinking there's a hint of civet in this--it definitely reminds me of other civet containing scents.

Dry: Okay, this is a little crazy--this is like Snake Oil! It smells almost exactly like Snake Oil without the vanilla! It's a bit dry and woody and there is something in this that doesn't quite[/b] agree with me, but it's also just... wow. Snake Oil!

Throw: Mild.

Overall: It's pretty and not as scary as I some of the reviews made it out to be. Personally I like my Snake Oil with vanilla so this really isn't a priority for me. Will use up the imp and see if it calls to me after its gone. Or will consider a bottle if I wind up with suitors lined up and down the block.

On the skin: there is an effervescent quality to this scent that is what I think of as musk. Also, a definite cinnamon that fades quickly. Pretty sexy actually. There is also a spice in here that reminds me of Snake Oil.

Over all: I actually really like this one! Smelling the scent up close on the skin is kind of icky, but from further away, it smells heavenly! Definitely would not wear this scent of the wrist though....

-ETA- I just tried a newer imp I received from the lab and what a difference! :eek: It smells like... green tea. Whaaaat?! Also it is a completely different color than my past imp! This one is a bright pink while the other one was a yellow brown color. Definitely staying away from the pink Fire of Love decants!!

Edited by Catseyes

imp: this reminds me of the scent of my mother's ancient desk. that is to say: faded oak, rosewood and patchouli with long-faded potpourri and incense.

wet: there is a dusty scent here but i can't put my finger on it. it's dry and faded and beautiful. this is a very evocative scent and is sending me into wonderful nostalgia.

dry: this just gets drier and dustier and yet richer as it dries. strangely, this gives me wonderful childlike feelings of adventure and joy.

In the imp: Cedar!

Wet: Cedar, pine sap, musk maybe? This has a cooling sensation on my skin...I don't smell it but I feel some eucalyptus.

Dry: This dries to a wonderfuly woody scent...pine sap and cedar all the way! I must try this on my husband and make him smell like a dirty sexy outdoosman :lol:

Overall: A REALLY pretty wood scent. This smells just like fresh wood. It brings back memories of my childhood when my family moved out of our small, starter home to the new house down the street that was fresh, brand-new and just built. The whole place smelled just like this. Mmmm. So nice. A keeper for sure! :wub2:

Wet~Light cedar, pepper and an opaque skin musk. Getting a bit of balsam, too. A little jasmine, maybe...nothing major after that except for the baby powder. Now is smells like baby powder in a cedar chest...not attractive!

In the imp, I could get ginger and civet from this, but mostly it was men's cologne.

Wet on my skin, it smelled exactly like walking past the men's cologne counter in insert generic department store of your choice.

As it dried down, the civet came back, along with a little bit of ginger and a huge noseful of black pepper. The throw is all men's cologne, and seems pretty good.

The black pepper lingered for a few hours and dominated on me, but I amp spices, so ymmv.

When it finally settled out, it was still pretty strong civet, but the spice was gone (about 3-4 hours later) and it's still going 12 hours after application. Not much throw anymore though.

Fire of Love

In the Vial: Vetiver?! Smoky.

Wet: Whatever my nose detects as earthy smoke dissipates quickly. Turns warm, and yes, a bit fiery and spicy!

Drydown: Very dry and spicy now. Reminds me a bit of Sekhmet v5 or Nagarjuna v2. Or you know, many of Beth's desert-like hot and dry, spicy blends.

Verdict: The drydown is pretty damned nice, much better than in the vial or wet. But it's not a scent I'd personally sport as a perfume, and especially since this is part of the Conjure Bag and I don't see a need for this. Swap!

My first impression of this in the bottle and on my skin is that it has a very sharp and spicy sent. It reminds me of fresh ginger.

The sharp and spicy scent stays strong while its drying but it begins to mellow out and after awhile. As it mellows a bit of sweetness starts entering the picture, softening the spice even more.

I enjoy it but I'm not sure if it is for me. I may try it a few more times just to be sure.

In the vial: Sharp, dark, resinous, woody. I could spend a lot of time breathing this scent.

Wet: Woody; the resinous note seems more herbal now. There's also something sweet and rooty that reminds me a bit of Hellhound, although it's more anise-like, maybe licorice or sassafras?

Half an hour: Sweet woody rooty, a little like Tombstone.

Hour and a half: More sweet, less rooty, but still with that aromatic tree-sap impression. I like it, but it's fallen off in intensity too.

Three and a half hours: Wow, I don't know what's in this one but I like it a lot right now. It's got a lot of the qualities I associate with patchouli -- which isn't a voodoo herb, to the best of my knowledge. But it's warm, comforting, just a little aromatic. If it had more throw, I'd be happier with it, but it's definitely a keeper.

Wow. This is the most frequently hated blend I've skimmed the reviews for. I have to agree. It's strangely gross. It starts out smelling like burning wood, then it becomes this weird old-people smell. Then it gets a bit more medicinal and finally settles into smelling EXACTLY like a baby's diaper.

Upon first sniff, I was very confused -- ginger? disinfectant? Then, when I put some on, it was all pine-fresh floor cleaner. I was ready to wash it off, but I decided to give it a couple of hours. It's a good thing that I did, because it actually changed from something unbearably pungent to a soft woody incense, with an almost vanilla-like sweetness to it.. I still get a hint of ginger, but not enough to make my heart sing. Too bad I had to shove my wrist halfway up my nose to be able to smell any of it.

While the end result is pretty nice, I don't think I'll be rushing to try this one again. It's quite masculine, especially during the drydown, so maybe my husband will fare better with it.