Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

White Rabbit

Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

I love tea. I really do.
But I hate foody perfumes.

In the bottle: I can smell vanilla, sugar and black tea.
On my skin: I smell honey and tea.

Basically, it smells like someone took a decent cup of tea, added a whole bunch of unnecessary flavors to it, and then spilled it all over the table cloth.

I did not like this one at all.
Not even my favorite food can make me like a foody perfume.

On the wand: tea! Nice Darjeling black tea with no sugar

Wet: the tea sweetens a bit (vanilla?), and a crisp note comes in that reminded me of fresh laundry. Must be the linen.

Drydown: ginger becomes more apparent, and tea grows sweeter (bit not very sweet) and milkier -- ah, here's the cream note. Stays very true until it disappears fairly quickly. But tea+ginger+linen remain. Very nice. Not sure it's bottle-worthy, but will be keeping the imp.

I immediately get black tea from this when applied wet and it dries down to a scent I can’t really place but there is a herb smell that reminds me slightly of coriander (I think Americans call this cilantro?). I think this could be a really gender neutral scent. There is something very green which I can’t fully identify – I think it’s the white pepper and clean linen, oddly enough! I also get the ginger a bit later. Half an hour later, this is evidently not for my body chemistry. It smells nice enough from afar but not up close.

In the bottle: sweetened tea, but unbrewed perhaps? Instead of a warm comforting cuppa, it is bright and pale, slightly sharp, almost frenetic (maybe it's the edge of ginger?).

On me (dry): warm and pleasant, almost creamy. Bright for a while, evolving into a darker shade of warm. Blends down to a subtle, comfortable aura with practically no throw (just how I like it).

Conclusion: Definitely going into the top ten wearables list.

When wet, White Rabbit is strong black tea with lemon, sweetened with lots of sugar and a bite of ginger. I really like this one. As it dries, the linen remains a strong overtone, as the tea becomes creamier--but just as sweet! Contrary to what others have said, it doesn't remind me of O, which i don't like very much.

This seems good for business casual wear, instead of casual. I may also wear this out to an early dinner outing. It's more grown-up than what scents I'm usually attracted to...

This is the first "sharper" scent that I've liked, because I usually like overly sweet and/or creamy scents. I'm glad I own the 5ml :P

I bought this one scent unsniffed as part of my very first order ... and am SO glad I did! At first, I was disappointed. Wet, White Rabbit was a bit overly sweet and simple. It dried down to a beautiful, creamy, lineny (is that a word?!) scent that kept my nose buried in my wrist all day!

:P wah.

White Rabbit was one that I was most excited about trying, free from the lab, b/c I had not tried a black tea blend yet...somehow it doesn't like my skin as much as I thought it would, but I'm going to try on another day too just to see if maybe it isn't just hormones or something.

Wet: Classic linen with gardenia is my first whiff. On second whiff I guess I am picking up the black tea...smells a bit spicy from the pepper as well.

On skin: Somehow it just turns to dryer sheet on me for some reason.

Drydown: AGain, peppery linen...gardenia is still there. Such an interesting blend, I applaud the Lab for such alchemy!!!

Verdict: Will keep for sniffing purposes and for trying another day. I have a feeling this scent may grow on me.

Edited by seven

In the bottle: Linen, ginger, and honey, but like many people I interpret the ginger as lemon. I know it's not lemon, though, because like many people, I interpret most lemon as Pledge.

Wet: Linen, ginger, and honey, but warmer. There's a soapy clean smell developing but not bad soap - more like a very well-scrubbed child.

Drydown: TEA. Black tea with milk and honey. Cup after cup after cup.

This is the scent I want my son to associate with me. This is the scent I will use to Proustically wire his brain so that he smells tea or honey or ginger decades from now and remembers how much I love him. It smells so sweet and good and maternal I don't even want to perceive the separate notes - I just want to ABSORB IT. It smells like me, amplified - or the ideal me. This is my Platonic ideal of perfume.

Tea. And 'linen' (actually, it smells very much like a faint whiff of Dirty mixed with hot sweet tea). With a tiny bit of lemony-ginger and the teensiest hint of sweetness. For once honey isn't killing this scent off for me. Nice. I'll keep the imp but not a 5ml as I have Dirty already!

In the bottle: There's something clean and fresh, followed by milk with honey and vanilla. A trace of tea. This isn't tea-with-milk-and-honey; the tea is entirely separate from the warm honeyed milk.

On the wrist: This isn't strong tea, but it's good tea. We're not talking PG Tips here, we're talking Darjeeling, taken on the lawn on a sunny mid-afternoon with cucumber sandwiches. They weren't lying about the clean linen, either.

One hour later: Milk and honey and... something else. It's the same smell that I love in Gluttony, and that was all wrong in War. I'm starting to suspect it's an ingredient in the base rather than a scent in its own right. But it's there, faint and slightly metallic, behind the tea. It works with the scent, but I think it would have been nicer without; it's what makes it a 7/10 rather than an 8.

I get a milky honey with a touch of something smokey that isn't smoke. I guess that is the tea, but my brain just doesn't recognize it as tea. It's a nice relaxing scent but not one that I would wear all the time since I'm primarily a floral person, but I'm definitely keeping it for those moods.

I'm not smelling the tea, but there are lots of things going on with this scent. Something is sharp, I guess that's the clean linen. Maybe there is lemon in the tea.

I really wanted to like this because all the notes sounded so delicious to me. Unfortunately, this scent went musty on me. The vanilla never came out and the sweetness was veiled by something mildly unpleasant. I think it half-turned on me. There was the metalicness of turning, mixed with lemony pepper and honey. Boo skin chemistry.

I wanted to like this (it sounded so fresh, and like a wonderful substitute for my almost-gone Kumiho), but the entire time it smelled musty. I got a very slight whiff of fresh ginger off it, but then the pepper and what I think was meant to be BPAL Clean Linen killed it. The pepper gave it a woody note, but a wet wood that's been sitting out for too long. And the clean linen, well, wasn't.

Just recieved this today!

Bottle: White linen, I never thought linen could smell so wonderful!

Wet: The white linen is so good on my skin and for once, honey likes me and I like honey!

Drydown: A hint of tea comes out to play here. This is a beautiful scent and it may take over my top ten!

4 outta 5

In imp: Pepper and honey... er..

On/wet: still pretty peppery, but with (?!) oatmeal and honey... like milk moon, wtf?

Drydown: Oh my god, the GC solution to Milk Moon 2007! They smell almost exaclty the same on me, once the pepper in White Rabbit dies down a bit. Only difference in the scent is that I have to be a lot more sparing with Milk Moon--a little goes a long way.

Heavenly, of course!

The ginger and pepper are dominant on first application. It is quite sweet. The thing it most reminds me of is embalming fluid, but I like Embalming Fluid by BPAL very much. This is slightly more femme, but smells so good I don't mind. Yum. It is smelling like tea party next to line dried laundry in early spring. Unfortunately the laundry scent becomes dominant over time, which is less interesting than the initial scent. Still pleasing, but i think I'd like more tea.

White Rabbit

Initially, it's all, "what am I smelling? What am I smelling?" It's sweet perfume, but what is it. There's a bite of ginger, and the brew of black tea, a tiny spike of pepper and it's all sweetened. Honey and vanilla like to mash together into one sweet note. There's a tartness that's almost citric, but I think it's just the ginger. There's a freshness, like starched perfumed linens. I'm not sure how I feel about the linen, my past negatively prejudices any linen perfumes. To me linen is cold and crisp off of the clothesline, something a fragrance couldn't really touch. But, I'm liking the sweetened tea aspect of it. Although, the ginger reminds me of a ginger tea I had recently, and really didn't like.

[3 - Like] Well, it's interesting, it's been fun for my nose, but I think it really isn't me.

imp: sweet! strong honey and vanilla.

wet: there's a slight spiciness in the honey and vanilla but it doesn't quite smell like pepper or ginger. hard to say what it smells like.

dry: this is wonderful! the linen scent comes out in all it's crisp whiteness, i can smell spiced tea and a hint or sweetness. this is perfectly the scent from the description.

I bought an imp with my very first order with the Lab, well over a couple of years ago. I was excited about the concept and the tea note. Knowing then what I know now about creamy scents and me, I might have been extra wary of this - which just goes to show that ignorance can be bliss, as this blend.. works.

Wet: A few drops of Darjeeling tea. You know, they were inside a REALLY BIG cauldron of milky vanilla. I have come to identify this as the "Holy hell!" stage.

Dry: Ah, there's some clean laundry beside the cauldron. :P The vanilla and milk never go away, not even by half. Still, in about a couple of hours, I do start to note the tea and ginger (oddly, I don't find it in any way similar to lemon.. ) It's still a really sweet, clean scent, but a bit more.. not grounded, but rather.. confused? Playful?

Overall: For me, this is the olfactory version of comfort food - while definitely not an everyday affair, every once in a while it's exactly the thing that hits the spot. I've considered getting a 5ml in my last order, but decided not to - the 3 imps I have on hand will last me a while, I think.

Another scent I've had for a while and not reviewed because I wasn't sure what I thought of it. Well, I'm still not sure :P I read other people's reviews and sniffed my imp and seriously don't get any of the notes other people get.

In imp: light, fresh, indeterminate scent. Not bad, just not really identifiable.

Wet on skin: same as in imp, but stronger. Maybe the linen note?

Drydown: gets softer but doesn't morph. No tea, no ginger, no pepper, no vanilla :D It isn't at all bad or unpleasant, just nothing I was hoping for. Maybe it is the linen note. It is very clean and fresh without smelling like dryer sheets or perfume. Not much throw.

Later: stays soft and close to skin for quite a while. This is a very clean sheets hanging in sun/just showered and put on clean clothes/opened the windows and aired out the house kind of scent on me. Almost anti-perfume. I'm still not sure what I think of it, but will keep the imp for winter days when I miss the sun and fresh air.

I decided to take back everything I said in my previous review. I originally reviewed this when I was recovering from some vicious virus and I think all of the meds in my system must have somehow altered the smell of this oil on my skin. I was originally very disappointed since the only notes I could pick up were tea, pepper, and milk which soured on my skin so I decided to give it another try today and was much more pleased with it. Wet, it still gave off a milky tea scent which I didn't much care for and couldn't decide what kind of tea it was giving off. Black then green then black with a touch of pepper. After 15 minutes the tea seemed to disappear and I was left with a bright fresh clean linen scent. I love it. I think I am going to layer this over Antique Lace and see what happens and then go buy myself another bottle :P

Edited by xXxPinkadoodlexXx

Definitely smelled the linen part, which was weird, but interesting. This was oddly perfumed tea, with a large throw. It made my friend sneeze. I got honey, but no pepper or ginger. I ended up giving this to my roommate, as it smelled a lot better on her than it did on me.

In the imp, I can't quite place it - definite sweetness, and not getting much tea. That continues on my skin - I get a bit of the linen, but more milky sweetness than anything else. I'm not getting ANY of the complexity of the scent, which is disappointing, because I so wanted to love this one!

The first time I tried this, it screamed VANILLA so loudly that I couldn't detect much else. But persistence paid off, and White Rabbit has become one of my favorite fragrances. It is a very sweet/clean scent, which is not typically my style, but this is so comforting and cheering.

On me, it has a very clean laundry-like start, and this is also when the tea note is most apparent. It then moves into a warm milk-and-sugar phase (think flan) and then finishes with a soft, edible sweetness. I don't ordinarily go for sweet vanilla foody scents, but White Rabbit is an exception.

ETA: I recently made a perfume spray using a new imp of White Rabbit and some Everclear, and the scent is dramatically different. I'm not sure if it was the new imp or if it was mixing the oil with alcohol, but the "clean linen" and tea scents are virtually absent and the honey scent is amped in a major way. It's not unpleasant (assuming you like honey), but it's nowhere near as interesting, complex, or fresh. I will report back if it changes substantially with age.

Edit #2: After buying a bottle from the Lab, I can confirm that it's the alcohol that destroys the "clean linen" top note. The new bottle definitely has that delicate, fresh note, and it's retained when mixed with jojoba oil (for a roller bottle) but vanishes when mixed with Everclear. FYI.

Edited by Apple