Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

White Rabbit

Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

in vial: milky tea, pepper, and spicy ginger

wet on skin: very strong black tea with milk in it. there's something almost sickly about it, maybe the honey? So far, I don't like this.

drydown: Ugh. I need to wash this off. It's doing just awful things with my body's chemistry, amping the black tea and milk up to huge proportions. The vanilla and honey never appeared at all, and the pepper and ginger are both gone.

Off to the swaps with this one.

Edited by phedre

Wet - sharp (I guess due to the pepper or ginger) sweet tea.

After 10 mins - the sharpness fades, and I'm left with a creamy, sweet, spicy, citrussy tea.

After an hour - fades quickly to a soft, light, creamy, sweet vanilla with a hint of spice. I guess you'd call this a foody kinda scent, but it's hard to put it in a box?

Interesting? Yes. Bottle? No, because my skin just eats it up. :P

From the bottle: Very spicy! The ginger and pepper are coming out very strong for me. It has a definite bite, with just the faintest hint of tea and honey in the background. However, the ginger is very predominant. Vanilla somewhat comes and goes. :P Ends up having sort of a floral-ish scent on second smell.

wet: Still so spicy. The ginger is very strong on me. :D It just went all sour and weird on me.

Drydown: It started out still spicy. Though the pepper was more at the forefront. Sort of a heavy smell. However, the tea started to show up a bit. If I catch it at certain times it smells like citrus tea! I love it. For some reason the tea and honey have flourished on my skin in certain places. It is such a delight and very 'White Rabbit'. More than anything, it makes me want a cup of tea.

After awhile, the milk is finally starting to show itself, I think I am starting to love it. Innitatially I thought it was not going to work at all. It was very full of pepper and just not right. Now it is settling down very creamy with that crisp hint of linen and tea and the vanilla is showing itself! I couldnt catch it at first, but now there is a hint of it. Just right!

May not wear this one as much as the others I enjoy more. May eventually invest in a bigger vial. But, not anything I will be obcessed over I dont think.

bottle: HONEY with a droplet of tea and pepper

Wet on skin: HONEY with droplet of tea. Pepper's gone.

Dry on skin: Honey/weak black tea mix. No milk, no pepper. A little to sweet for my tastes as I'm not even a honey fan when it comes to eating. I've got to learn to stay away from honey! I keep trying!!!!!!

Dry 1 hour later: a milder honey....easier to deal with but still too sweet for me.

Ok. So I tried this on my skin twice. And it turned to oats. Raw oats. When I gave it more time to develop there was a lovely sweet, warm scent over the oats. But I could not escape the faint scent of oats. Huh. I think my nose is broken.

in the vial it smells crisp and fresh. there is almost a lemon lime soda smell. the fizziness probably comes from the spicey-ness of the ginger.

On the skin it tuns to flowers and Fruity Pebbles with a dash of sweet herbal goodness. ha ha. It's a happy scent.

I get a tingly sensation in my nose that must be from the pepper.

I really like this one. It's light and fresh and great everyday scent especially if you want to smell unique and get those "what are you wearing?" comments.

In the imp, this one was hard to pin down at first. There wasn’t as much milk and tea as I’d expected, or perhaps they weren’t expressed the way I’d expected them to be. I definitely smell the ginger and spice and vanilla, though. This should be an interesting scent to try. (Which I mean in the best way possible!)

When I first put it on–wow, there’s the tea. Very strong, very… tea. After a bit it became more of a honey/milk scent, and seemed to fluctuate between that and the tea for a while. Then after a couple of hours it settled down to a nice soft scent of milk and spices. It’s different, but I kind of like it, really.

This one sounded so good, but for some reason it goes sour on me. Like the milk was left out too long, so sad. :P

Since this has already been so thoroughly reviewed I will only describe my mental imagery connected to the blend: :P

This is like sitting up in bed after recovering from the flu or something, and someone caring has just changed the bed linen for you, handed you a mug of hot milk sweetened with honey, and flavoured with ginger, and opened the windows to let the soft spring breeze and sunshine in.

This is really a clean and comforting scent in my mind. Very soft and pretty.

In the beginning, White Rabbit was strange. It wasn't quite sweet, but it wasn't musky either. My nose couldn't decide what the hell this was.

After warming on my skin and mixing with me, this perfume was soapy and rather nondescript. I wasn't thrilled and this perfume wasn't something I'd make people smell on me. The competing between sweet and musky was won by sweet. Honeyed ginger and vanilla became the most pronounced notes.

Maybe it's the milk that threw me off. The black tea is almost nonexistent. The pepper adds a pleasant zing to the ginger-vanilla mixture, but not enough to get my attention.

In the end, I know I'm not going to wear White Rabbit again. I wanted to enjoy it on me, but it just wasn't meant to be. I know this perfume would smell fantastic on someone else.

I so hoped White Rabbit would work on my skin. It has vanilla in it, so I thought it was a sure thing (my skin loves vanilla). I tried testing this twice. The first time, on the back of my hand. I got something slightly sweet, but not a sugary kind of sweet. Something I can't quite place. I figured I hadn't put enough on.

So the next time, I put it all over me, and went off to work. There was something in it that made me slightly nauseated, but my nose isn't sophisticated enough to figure out which note it was. I'm thinking the linen note, which I've known as a room fragrance, but never experienced in a perfume oil.

Midday, It was all ginger, a bit of honey and milk (I think). I got no tea or vanilla from this.

By the end of the day, White Rabbit turned into something like a cross between baby spit up and funky b.o.! I couldn't believe that my skin could produce such a scent from this oil. I had to take the train home, hoping that no one could smell me.

I was sad that this didn't work for me. I can't figure this out. It has to be either the ginger or milk notes (I'm not too familiar with either of these notes in fragrance, nor how my skin reacts to them). I hope to try the rest of the Mad Tea Party, as I love Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and what better way to represent?

my first order from the labs, and i understand why they call it alchemy; there's an almost-ritual almost-magic to it, a drop on each pulse point and something transforms. wearing this was almost dizzying -- like falling down a rabbit-hole with cupboards floating all about you, whole worlds of wonders on the shelves to glimpse as you drop through.

i don't know how to pick out individual notes, but there's something creamy-soft and smooth, a rich, teatime smell that makes me imagine quaint little cakes of licorice and blackurrant, clean white tablecloths crowded with cups of cream and sugar. there are tiny antique plates painted with pastoral scenes, but wonderland-pastoral -- landscapes of living flowers and shifting, maze-like hedges, chess-patterned pastures where gentlemen play croquet and lady-rabbits carrying card-paper-parasols look on. there's also something sharp and startling, perhaps the ginger and the pepper (perhaps scurrying and murmuring o my fur and whiskers -- i'm late, i'm late, i'm late --) and it strikes me whenever i've almost forgotten it (forgotten how i'm falling). it's lovely.

:P

Edited by lady d

SO excited about this one...the white rabbit is my favorite character in the books.

In the imp: Lemon tea with a bit of vanilla. Nice!

Wet: Very very citrussy...wow this morphs quickly...no ginger for me, but my skin eats it so that's not surprising

Dry: Goes from something like Dorian with lemon (quite sweet) to a really lovely light creamy citrus

Bottle!

I received a full bottle (unsniffed) as a gift from my dearest mom. :P I've always loved the Alice stories and she knows I have an affection for the White Rabbit.

This smells exactly like black tea to me...unmistakable. Very natural, crisp and extremely light on my skin. I'm amazed that it can actually smell like a real cup of tea.

I can't sniff out the vanilla or milk at all in the beginning stages but there is a faint bit of lemon. This is just so clean.

I can finally smell the milk and honey after it's dried down. It's very soft and just hints at being sweet. Nothing sugary or syrupy about this one. That linen note is wonderful. This is so airy but grand at the same time.

This absolutely captures the essence of the rabbit.....what a magical interpretation. I love it!

I love vanilla scents, and almost all the notes in this, so this one was something I had to try! Unfortunately, I don't get much vanilla from it. Wet in the bottle it's very tea and pepper, with a bit of sweetness which is probably the honey/vanilla. Maybe the sharpness is the pepper and ginger combining. Very two-edged, anyway sweet and sharp. On and dry... disappointment. Fabric softener. Probably the 'linen' note, but it smells to me just like fabric softener sheets.

I didn't like this one quite as much as I expected to. The linen note was a bit florally and perfumey and took away from the other notes in the blend. I do get some nice spicy and sweet notes from the vanilla, honey, and ginger, but they're a bit smooshed by the linen. This is more of a spring scent for when I'm more open to florals. I'll keep my imp, but I'm not sure I'll need more than that.

I was really looking forward to trying this one, and it hasn't disappointed me.

In bottle: bright, fresh linen!

Wet: bright, fresh linen! With a little bit of something kind of astringent. I suppose that's the tea before it settles down. Not so much of the spice, honey or anything else.

Dry: This is one that definitely takes some time to settle and behave. It's not so nice when it first goes on, but after 15 minutes or so it's wonderful! Exactly like the notes. It's spices (I can smell the cinnamon and clove) softened by black tea, and rounded out with a warm, sweet quality, like milk and honey As someone else mentioned early in the thread, it's just like a nice cup of chai tea.

The great thing about this scent, and the thing that made me look forward to it, is the fresh linen note. It's what makes this fragrance unique. It lurks just behind the chai scent, not the first thing you noticed, but carried on the end of your sniff. I already have a nutmeg & ginger cologne that's very warm and cinnamony on, so I didn't need another scent like that. The linen is just the thing to balance the sweet and spicy notes, a nice mixture of fresh and warm & cozy, making this very versatile and relaxing. Spicy fragrances are my day to day scent, and this one is a perfect, lighter variation for spring.

Later: It's all but gone. Unfortunately, this one fades very quickly on me. 30 minutes and I had little but a nice, fresh, lineny scent left on my wrist. Perhaps it's best for lunch or tea, or some other occasion where you only need to maintain your fragrance for a few hours.

However, I think the goal is perfectly realized, and I like this one very much. Definitely worthy of a full bottle.

Edited by naeelah

bottle: a clean smell (linen) with something sharper- the ginger, i think. after the i get a lingering spicy undertone of pepper. interesting. something darker- the tea and pepper, i think.

on me (wet): wow. strong tea, lotsa pepper. definitely smell the linen, but it sort of blends in with the tea. the ginger comes across as oddly citrusy.

on me (dry): all linen. still a lil pepper. i love the pepper.

later: it got much creamier- no more tea, lighter on the linen, and darkened by pepper.

i like this. it's unusual in a good way. i think i may have to spring for a big bottle! i also think it would be very nice as a room scent.

Edited by porcelina

What I want to say is that this is one of my top three fragrances of all time. It smells of some of my favorite things-- tea, ginger, cream, honey, fresh grass, and pepper. Whenever I wear this, my mood instantly brightens; it makes me so happy. It is not cloying or overwhelming or anything, just pure joy to me, and it's thankfully also one of the longest-lasting BPAL scents I've worn. :P

One night I rolled around on the floor for forty-five minutes, smelling myself and giggling. It probably had something to do with the copious amounts of soda I'd been drinking, but I can't think of any other fragrance that would provoke that sort of reaction in me. Are they putting something illegal in this?

--Morgan

this was VERY peppery tea at first, considering the listed notes i was expecting something sweeter so was surprised to be sniffing a blend that was decidedly GREEN. very fresh smelling, which i'm chalking up to the linen. after a bit though the ginger started peeping out, and also the honey BPAL note that i've now come to know and love.

this one is nice, but not quite what i was expecting. i think i might have to pass it along.

White Rabbit started out a nice spicy tea scent after about half an hour the honey really came out and smelled just like the way I like to drink my tea which made me smile. It seemed like a whiff of something fresh (the linen) lingered all day as well. I don't really smell the pepper. I wish I did since I love pepper as a note.

My 5 year old kept coming to smell me and said I smelled white like snow that is good to eat :P

Edited by isisonearth

White Rabbit is the scent that got me to finally place an order after friends of mine had been raving about BPAL for over a year. I didn't end up totally disappointed, but I think a sample size is suitable enough for me with this one.

In the bottle, it smelled like clean (the linen smell) with a hint of vanilla. When I put it on, I found it very pleasant, although a little strong at first (I seem to think this of most things, though.)

After several hours, what remained was mostly the linen smell. This somehow reminded me of my grandmother, which was actually kind of comforting, but not something I'd want to smell like all the time. It was nice, but I don't think it's something I'd want a whole bottle of. I'm keeping the imp, though.

I will give this one another try, though-- I may have put a bit too much on.

Update on this one, 4/15 - I tried this again on Friday and it worked a lot better. It's growing on me somewhat, and might be a good choice for when I want to wear something not quite as foody.

Edited by labeth

Wet: Wow, I can really smell the linen in this one! Creamy sweetness.

Drydown: Sweet honey scent. The ginger and pepper give this depth and keep it from being too sweet, while the linen smell stays noticeable and prevents it from being a run-of-the-mill fragrance. Unusual but totally lovely.

At the end of the day: I'm happy to say this doesn't fade. The honey note lingers longest -- my boyfriend reckons this smells like expensive beeswax candles.

Definitely a winner!

Oh, White Rabbit, I so wanted to love you.

In the imp, it was fantastic. I got some vanilla and the linen note (which I love) backed by some honey and something spicy which was probably the pepper and ginger but I'm terrible at identifying spice notes.

As soon as I put it on: Licorice. Oh my god lots and lots of licorice all over my skin. I'm not sure exactly what note or combination of notes did this to me, and believe me I wish I knew because it's VERY licorice, VERY strong, and even as someone who likes licorice I'm a little freaked out by this. I'm going to guess it has something to do with the pepper, as most of the other notes have played nice with my skin in other blends.

It stays strong and true licorice for a while, and takes its time drying down. A number of hours later, I start to get this lovely sweet milky tea scent that I adore, but unfortunately it isn't worth sitting through the lengthy ack licorice phase to get there. :P