Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

White Rabbit

Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

Oh, I've been waiting for this one since tea and ginger are two of my favorite notes.

In the imp: tea and sharp spiciness. Nice!

Wet: What happened?! My wonky body chemistry has turned this into melted plastic, specifically, melted Tupperware.

Dry: The plastic smell just gets stronger. I must wash this off! I am glad that I got a chance to try this.

In the bottle: Spicy and weird—dark green. I can smell the tea, and maybe the milk. The pepper, too, and a hint of honey. A tiny bit perfumier than I expected any of these scents to be, but much less so than Fae.

On me: Mmm, much spicier now—any hint of a perfume-y scent is gone. I hate spicy tastes but love spicy scents. I think the combination of the tea, pepper, and ginger is reminding me of honey. Licorice, too. Reminds me of Garland of Letters, so I guess it’s a bit incensy.

Sitting: I’m really liking this. I don’t think it’s me, but it’s delicious. After a few minutes, the milk starts to come out more strongly.

A few hours later: It gets sweeter as time goes on. I really love this scent. Will try it again after I’ve tried others, in order to compare better.

I got this in a swap. I've been wanting to try some more MTP blends lately anyway, due to this coming spring!

Imp: Gingery tea, a touch of cream and the linen smell is dead on.

On me: I have no clue what happened here, but this went very sour on me. It was a very odd sour note over fresh linens. I washed it off, it's just not working for me and my chemistry.

Overall: Nope, not doing it for me, loves. I hope I can find it a happy home!!

In the imp, I get black tea, pepper and vanilla.

On me, I get a creamy black tea with pepper and a creamy lemon, maybe a bit of ginger. I never got the linen although it might still show up.

Either way, a larger bottle of this will be coming my way.

I get a weird mix of tea and milk and linen. Except it smells like the linen was washed in the milk and then someone spilled a cup of tea on the semi-rancid linens.

Greeeeat.

As it develops on my skin, it gets creamier and thicker until it feels like a big cloud rising up from my elbow to smother me.

Maybe I should try this on my clothes? But on my skin, it isn't working too well.

just got this one and just tried it on a little bit ago

i am still not sure what "tea" really smells like in bpal oils but i think i love it

that said

on with my review:

at first it is just as the description says.

then, when applied it almost has an anise smell to me - (oh perhaps it is the pepper - or just the spice blend in general)

and then as i wear it i think it turns more milky

and i LOVE milky smells, and i love ginger

. . .and vanilla and linen. . .and while honey can be a bit flowery to me, mixed in with all these i think it balances out the whole concoction. and because the linen is inherantly a clean smell, i think it balances out that plastic-y thing that can happen a bit with milky smells.

the more i sit with it, the more i like it. actually, i have a strong feeling that i am in love with this one.

*put on right wrist while left has casanova so i have to test it alone to be sure of what i am experiencing before i give my final verdict. they do blend very well though*

ETA: i really like this one. i don't want to pour it over my head everyday as i do with my loves, but it is a favorite of mine to smell for that distinct memory evocativeness... (is that a word?) for it totally reminds me of a specific detail from my memory as a lil' kid: there were these colored markers that a lot of us had... the different colors had different scents and the black one was anise/licorice ... and i used to HATE anise/licorice, but now i am a huge fan. well yes. white rabbit, though it doesn't list anise in the description, totally makes me think of the black scented marker of my childhood. it's close to a top ten, but depends on my mood. guess they all do :P top 20 i'd say.

if dorian is lemon milky tea, this one is licorice spice tea, to me.

Edited by clover

In the imp: mmm, pepper and gingery tea and.. ah, honey. this could be bad.

On me, wet: gah, honey explosion. I can faintly distinguish ginger and that lemony citrus linen scent from Dirty behind it, though. Come on, scent, don't let the honey win!

On me, dry: nope, the honey won, and destroyed any hints of other notes on me. it's just sweet sweet sugary sticky honey on me.

Verdict: I think this marks the definitive 'right, okay, honey is an evil scent on me' test. I really wanted this scent to work on me, because that description *still* sounds awesome to me. Sigh. Swap pile time.

In the bottle: Honey, vanilla and white linen, with something licquoricey.

Wet: It warms very fast, smelling of honey, vanilla, spices and milk. It smells thick and sticky.

Drydown: Very much the same as wet, a very sweet scent of honey, vanilla and now of white starched linen. The linen becomes dominant and the sweetness is slightly subdued - for a while. It comes and goes in very sticky and slightly spicy whiffs.

Overall: A very sweet - practically cavity-inducing - smell of honeyed milk and white linen, with a touch of spices. I didn't get any tea whatsoever, my skin tends to amp honey notes like hell. The scent doesn't have much staying power, most of it disappears within half an hour, but it does stay with a very faint trace of milky honey.

This started out as honeycomb with a little licorice, for some reason. I also got a slight clean undertone which must have been the linen. I only ever got the vaguest hint of tea. After a few minutes the licorice became pepper and the scent wavered between honey and pepper for three hours until it died. Very interesting, but I'm not wild about it- honey's just so cloying on me. It's not horrible, but I don't want to smell like it all day.

In the bottle: Milky and sweet and just spicy enough to make it interesting, although I couldn't really pick out all the notes listed. I could smell the tea mixed with milk as the solid background with the ginger and ginger spicing it up. The vanilla sweetened things quite nicely, too. The This was one of the first imps that made me go 'Wow!' right away when I ripped into the box from the Lab.

On the skin: Strong vanilla scent with some ginger, throw (how far away you can smell it) is pretty close to the body.

5 minutes: The ginger gets stronger, still pretty sweet, but tea is starting to solidify the scent.

30 minutes: Not so sweet now, warmer with the ginger and pepper warming up the tea. I can't stop sniffing my wrists. Can't smell it far from my body, either, which is perfect for work. No need to be attacking people at 20 paces.

Later: This turns into strong black tea with a touch of vanilla and spice. I love the way that the scent changes over the hours with my body chemistry. This was the first bottle I dropped money on with my next order to the Labbies. Enablers, all of you! :P

Score: Ooh, 4.0 out of 5. (1.0 docked by the Russian judge for people not asking to lick my neck :D )

Edited by lizardling

Overall this was sweet milky tea. With some spiciness from the ginger and pepper notes. I was just kind of "meh" about this one, even though it was nice enough.

This is what I wanted Juke Joint to be, strangely. It smells minty-boozy for some reason. There's a bit of cream in there. Spicy-milky with a hint of booze.

I expected to lurve White Rabbit like mad. Tea? Check. Honey and vanilla? Check. Milk? Check. Linen? Check. And I do love it in the imp (tea, yum), but my chemistry changes it into peppery oatmeal. It's interesting and reminds me of a good breakfasty food, but I don't want to smell like this.

Edited by karen

At first it was just ginger and honey with white pepper. Not notes I'm normally a fan of or wear much of. But as it's dried down, the sweetness is tinged with spicy and it honestly smells good. A huge departure from what I'd wear. I was totally sure at first I wouldn't end up liking it at all, but it's grown on me. :P

In the bottle: Sweet vs. Strong. It's an intense battle. There's the honey, milk and vanilla which all make for a sweet side that smells a little like cake. And there's the black tea and pepper making for a strong, spiced smell. They're pretty equally balanced though, so it's difficult to say which side wins out.

On my skin: Wet = *gag* Waaay too milk & honey for me. It's overpoweringly sweet... and it's not getting any better as it's drying. We'll see after a few mintues though.

Nope. No better.

Final Thoughts: I feel bad when I don't like something. But this is not working at all.

Okay, here we go. White Rabbit is one of the first blends that I had my eye on when I first looked at the site. I was told that it was more clean than milky, and that's true; I'm getting "clean" and "linen" right off the bat with that stinging ginger and funny pepper note in there too. It develops into something sweeter on my skin, but that linen is still there and admittedly bugging me a bit. I'm not sensing a lot of milkiness or a lot of black tea but maybe it's because I'm distracted by the clean smell that I think is kinda gross. It's like someone poured perfume on grass.

What's weird is that this does smell like bunnies.

White Rabbit is a lot like Bunnicula: best at night. My chemistry must change during the day or something, because if I put this on in the morning, it just turns into dryer sheets. But slather some on at bedtime, and I drift off to sleep comforted by the cozy smell of tea with milk and ginger and just a hint of clean linen. Curiouser and curiouser! When White Rabbit behaves, it's very, very nice. I'm considering a 5ml for use as a bedtime scent.

pre-conceived notion: The idea behind this line doesn't appeal to me, because Alice in Wonderland is just... ugh. Not a book I adore, let's just say. If LJ user Sky_Dark hadn't sent this to me as a freebie among her various castaways, I certainly never would have sought it out on my own... despite the fact that the various notes are not at all objectionable to me. I approached this one with low expectations.

in the imp: Veeeeeery surprising, this is a green living smell without any kind of artifice. It smells like the roots of clover weeds pulled right after a cool summer thunderstorm. I can pick out the pepper, but it doesn't come off as spicy or sharp... it's more like a cracked stalk of fresh celery, or a cucumber salad dressed with oil and vinegar. Clean, and sweet. I like it.

wet: This is lovely and sweet and feminine without being at all floral. The green scent continues, but I can also see how this is like a honey-sweetened milk tea. The honey is there, but it's not the rich oriental honey of Skuld. Or rather, it's the same honey scent, but very much muted and supportive. I like having the honey peeking out of the background rather than dominating. My feeling for "clover" has come back in full force, and this reminds me of the purple-white clover that I used to pick and then suck the nectar out of when I was very young.

drydown: what a lasting, true fragrance! I like this because it's the sort of thing I could see myself wearing indoors while around a lot of people. It's not very strong and it's extremely inoffensive from afar, but close up (when I sniff my wrists) I get this soft white glowing scent that is utterly refreshing.

verdict: this imp is going to become my signature scent of Spring 2006, and I can see myself getting a 5ml bottle when I run out.

post-conceived notion: my distaste for the concept of Alice-inspired fragrances has significantly mellowed following this experience. What a nice, unexpectedly nuanced scent. I consider myself humbled.

Edited by herongale

White Rabbit is something I ordered because I *might* like it. I like spices and citrus, but I don't like sweet scents -- which is a trial because I turn even non-sweet scents sweet. So I uncapped this imp with trepidation.

In the vial: lemon and spices and milk and something which reminds me strongly of pie crust?

Wet: Oh dear. I don't like milk, and I'm not caring for how milky this is. I'm also not a fan of very foody smells, and something (the honey and linen perhaps) is strongly remeniscent of pie crust. Not a baked pie with filling, but the pre-baked crust how it smells fresh out of the oven.

Drying: the black tea scent is becoming stronger, as are the spices. The unfortunate milk and pie crust have faded into the back ground.

Dry: black tea and spices over milk and pie crust. Humph. Well, I wasn't counting on liking the scent, so I'm not crushed. There's actually nothing wrong with it, I just don't think I care for smelling like baked goods. Perhaps I'll let the imp sit a while to see if the tea and spices element get stronger.

Edited by greywind

White Rabbit is one of those perfumes that aren’t just like any other perfume anywhere, ever. For one thing, there is nothing in this blend I would characterize as “sweet.” It has the clean herbal astringency of black tea, made smooth by the milk note, and a different sort of cleanliness from the linen note. The pepper and ginger are in there, for sure, tingling my tongue (no, I don’t get any in my mouth – just some oils do that when I apply them to pulse points), but they never take over. The honey is more of a suggestion, not heavy at all (and I don’t find honey a classically sweet scent, anyway), and the vanilla, uncharacteristically for my skin, doesn’t amp; it just provides a warm creamy base for the other notes.

None of these notes identify themselves to my nose as “perfume,” so I find it difficult to think about White Rabbit as being a scent I am wearing, even while I am wearing it and catching occasional wafts. On me, it’s a skin scent – me, only better. The throw isn’t much – or I don’t experience it as being much – but that cleanliness and astringency is perceptible to me in the same way I can smell the mug of milky tea steaming on my desk, never far from my hand. I find both simultaneously stimulating, relaxing, and absolutely comfortable. I suspect that the effect on others is almost subliminal (assuming they are close enough to me to smell anything).

The dry down is like strong black tea with a tiny drop of Milk Moon in it. I love this oil. It’s a natural choice for any situation in which I’m going to be in close quarters, but I also wear it on the weekends when I’m puttering around the house or erranding. It doesn’t grandstand or startle the way some others of my favorites do, or even enchant from four feet away the way Cheshire Cat does. It’s just for me to know about, and that’s fine by me.

Masculine. Leather and soap. Slightly sour - I think that's the pepper.

If there's tea in this, it escaped me. No honey, no milk, no lemon. All I got was pepper, leather, and soap. Not for me.

wow... well, I WANTED to love this, but I should just make a mental note to stay away from anything with honey in it... i don't like the taste or smell of honey in the bear shaped container, and it apparently holds that against me!

i sniffed this, and it was a little fruity and promising. On my wrist? wow. Umm... i thought "white chocolate" for some reason, but it was really just sour milk and HONEY. after a few mins? HONEY HONEY HONEY. I was actually a bit gaggy. :P The honey smell literally overpowered my ability to think straight, and I had to go scrub it off my arm.

*boohoo*

I am mad for tea, especially Earl Grey and a really stong English Breakfast.

I opened my imp and was pleasantly surprised.

Wet, this packed a huge coppery nose wallop of Keemun and lemon.

On dry-down, the ginger made itself more apparent.

Two hours later, the linen showed up and turned this formerly deep scent into something almost floral, but not unpleasantly so.

I was really worried about the pepper, as my skin tends to amp pepper, making otherwise lovely perfume smell really offensive on me, but luckily, it never really surfaced.

I am going to order a 5ml and cross my fingers that the pepper stays behind!